Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Old 03-30-2008, 03:05 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Thanks for the reply and pm.I am going to do a bunch of homework on the electric version.I really like the cleanliness and reliability.
Now,is it common or cheaper to double on packs,or are single brick available.The batteries would probably be the last thing I'd purchase,so maybe the cost will drop again in a year from now or so.
This video below..is this taken by someone on here? this is what got me thinking electric is a great choice for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyiDtpmfB6c
Old 03-30-2008, 03:44 PM
timothy thompson

buy 4 seperate and wire two in series in the nacelles. there is a way of using geared hackers but those motors cost 700 a piece and outrunners are cheaper. normally i woud parallel eveything incase of pack faiure but the nose being so tight makes this version hard to do. with the smaller packs you can use them on other planes too.

that vid is just like mine flys. smooth
Old 03-30-2008, 04:56 PM
nitro wing

The batteries fit into the nacelles?
Yeah I got a lot of questions.If there is alot of info in this thread on the conversion I'll read it all,if not I may start a new thread,just dealing with an electric build.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:07 PM
chrishwegner
My Feedback: (38)

Only one suggestion-- put in the cockpit before installing pushrods to the tailfeathers.
Chris
Old 03-30-2008, 06:01 PM
timothy thompson

they fit like a glove pm me and ill give you my number and ill post pics and tell you how to do it its easy! i have retracts full lights and scale nose landing light
Old 03-30-2008, 06:15 PM
nitro wing

If you have the time to do that it would be great.If I build it I would also do the gear and landing light.
I looked at the Utube vid I posted.It said the guy used 2x Hackers B50S on a single 6S(Each side,I asume?)but I like the idea of stacking 2 packs.Are A123's even an option at this point,or add too much weight?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:58 PM
timothy thompson

hacker geared motors are 700 a piece ai23 are heavy . the lipos i use work fine. i have main rx pack the lipos and a small aa HOLDER FOR THE SCALE NOSE LIGHT (mini mag reflector and light) i just bout 60 bucks worth of mini mag lights for my b-17 interior and some exterior lights
Old 03-31-2008, 07:04 AM
Tsutomu Mabuchi

Here are some pics of the maiden flight my club guy took for me.
Sorry for no take off and landing pics.

Tsutomu Mabuchi
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30317.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	918217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24884.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	918218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48498.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	918219  
Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 AM
marktur

Congrats on the maiden flight! Looks great!

So last night, I went to Target and bought Bikini Barbie....cut her off at the waist and she's sitting next to the pilot now! He's smiling! I was able to slide both peices of the cabin in last night with absolutely no problems - I think the guys who said it was hard must have huge hands! I just need to glue it down now - but it looks great with the "honey" in the passenger seat!

So tonight I'll get the servos mounted up, and hopefully also finish the retracts. I feel like there's light at the end of the tunnel, although I still can't make up my mind on powerplants...I guess I'm just hating the thought of cutting into the beautiful nacelles.

I'll try to post some pics later on this evening.
Mark
Old 03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
marktur

Did you guys glue in the cabin stuff using hot glue? I've never used it before...usually just epoxy and CA.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 AM
marktur

Here's my girl!
[img][/img]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85026.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	919225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18648.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	919226  
Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 AM
chrishwegner

Mark, I used hot glue on mine. It works great. Also I use shoe goo a lot also.
Chris
Old 04-01-2008, 09:58 AM
marktur

Hi Chris,

Silly question...is all Hot Glue the same? My wife has a little hot glue gun, and I ran a bead on some plastic...let it cool....I was able to peel it off like rubber - like the kind of glue they use to stick a credit card to paper. Is that OK for the cabin? I used thick CA on the seat backs and dash, and they seem great, but I may want to remove the cabin at some point, maybe even just to detail it some more...

This cannot possibly be the same stuff they use to assemble our ARFs, is it?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-01-2008, 01:13 PM
chrishwegner

Hi Mark,
Silly answer... No. I think the difference is in the temperature that the glue melts. As for removing glued parts just reheat and remove. The glue I used came from the crafts section in Walmart it is the high temperature glue. I have no idea what glue they use on ARF's.
Chris
Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 AM
marktur

OK, used the high-strength (yellow stuff) and it worked great! I still think I'll use epoxy for engine mounts and wing joining, but the hot glue was easy to use for sure.

OK, so I had a lame night...hot glued then fell asleep on the couch waiting for it to settle. (I went surfing for 2 hours yesterday after work...came back pretty tired from paddling).

Anyway, today I will do the servo tray, hook everything up, etc.

QUESTION: I see that I need to mount the air canister now...but I also remember conversation somewhere int he last 100 pages of this thread about going to a larger can...is the one in the standard air set big enough, or should I use two of them (just for the retracts) in parallel? (I wonder why these were not made with springs? Aren't they much safer? ie. They come down in the event of an air leak or loss of pressure.)

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-02-2008, 09:45 AM
chrishwegner

Mark,
I used the can that fits the hole. It is large enough to actuate the retracts
AND the brakes if you carefully eliminate all leaks.
Piece of advice... don't use the Robart tees they leak.
Chris
Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 AM
boingram

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...the tees from McMaster-Carr DO NOT LEAK...been usin' them for years...Robarts' leak like crazy.

....and, yes, the tank that fits the hole is enough capacity for the brakes and retracts...no problem...I get 6 cycles with no problems....

Bo
Old 04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
marktur

thanks guys - and yes, I also got the T's from McMaster...also found some of the T's from Airpower? (Brass with square plastic bodies)...I must have bought both at separate times....yeah, I must be rich (or forgetful.....well, I'm not rich, so...)

I have one of the discontinued DuBro brakes for the front wheel...activated with Down elevator...I think I'll put it on just so I can look cool while running up the motors...our runway is plenty long and I can't see brakes being required, but the Dubro has no real weight penalty...so what the heck, I'll use it.

So who has flown their Cessna at night???? I've flown with lights in dusk before, but never brave enough for a total night flight....yet!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:16 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Anyone repaint their Cessna 310 a different color yet?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:08 PM
marktur

There was some discussion a ways back - someone used to own a 310 (short nose version) and he wanted to shorten the nose and repaint, but I don't think we've heard from him again...

I would love to see a second color scheme, too...this is nice, but we all have the same one (I guess that's my biggest issue with ARF's).

Are you going to paint yours?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:13 PM
boingram

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...just for the record...I have repainted ARF's with Klass Kote epoxy paints.

Some extra fine steel woolto rough up the surface and have at it...works like a charm....

Bo
Old 04-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Tsutomu Mabuchi

There is one thing I forgot to mention about my maiden flight.
I took 1/3 of nose weight out of the nose since I thought YS FZ63s are heaveir
than 2 stroke 46s and yes it made the C.G at that is instructed in the manual.
But I needed 2 or 3 clicks of down trim to make a level flight with not full power.
I think I have to recheck the C.G and the elevator angle more precisely, but looks
like I should not have taken the weight.
How about your guys elevator trim on your maiden flight, no trim or needed some?

Tsutomu Mabuchi
Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 AM
marktur

Well, I got more work done last night...not a huge amount, but some...
Finished the elevator linkage - had to drill out the hole in the lever to fit the clevis.
Put on the tail cover peice.
Installed the front retract and air tank, ran the air hoses. (Wow - NICE retracts!)

I think I came to a conclusion on my motor dilemma: I'm going to start out the plane using the OS 55 AX's, and then once I'm comfortable with it, I'll probably switch to the 4 strokers, but I think I want that extra power for the first few flights at least.

Question about the servo tray: The 2 hardwood cross-beams that support the tray...when looking down at my plane on it's back, they glue in CLOSER to the cockpit (as opposed to being closer to the wing), and the tray actually looks recessed......correct?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 AM
marktur

OK, so I saw previous posted pictures which answered my previous servo tray question..

I also found a couple of Futaba S9252 servos that I am going to use for the tail. These are metal-geared, high torque digital servos - I found a couple in my box from my racing days...good steering servos (for 1/8 scale, on-road). I know they can take a beating, nothing like an airplane control surface will give to it.

So onward I go...doing a bit more each day....getting closer!

If this thing doesn't fly before the end of the month, I'm going to be VERY surprised.

Since I've now made my power-plant decisions, I need to now setup the twin-sync this week and start running in the motors, too. With my other OS 55's, I ran the first tank slobbering-rich for 3/4 tank, then tested the idle and WOO-HOO! Let's fly. I think with this one, however, I will run at least a half gallon through each motor, leaning it out a bit more each tank after the first tank, until we're running perfectly.

I will then switch to 30% heli fuel for even more power, cooler running (more oil) and a nice thick smoke trail so I will KNOW if an engine dies before I get into a death spiral. I have a Bobcat 52 with an OS 55AX and a custom Jett pipe on it...turns an 11x8 at around 14,500! It's been clocked at about 140mph - so I know we're talking about good motors with plenty of power. I'm interested in seeing how the Bison mufflers improve/subtract the performance...

What size props are you guys running with the OS 55/Bison muffler (with extensions from Meesh)? I'm thinking with this plane we should be turning slower RPMs (more pitch, bigger prop?)

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-06-2008, 09:50 AM
asnook

Looking forward to getting my 310 out this year as it only had a few flights last yr !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4P8w2KiYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E90mbV4Oaug

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.