Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
 Top Flite Cessna 310 posted >

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Old 05-04-2012, 04:27 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

bob,

Sorry i have not got back to you sooner but have been without internet all since the move and just got hooked up but everyone has already answered for me it is needed to help hold this bird together for the wing is the weak spot i have over 50 flights on mine since the foaming and no problems.

Allen
Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Dear Allan;
Thanks for the reply. The "foaming" of the main wing went very well, very easy. i now venture into "more stuff" in the r/c world. Have to figure out the electronics, etc. hey, thanks again for the reply. Hope your new home is nice and comfortable.
bob
Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 PM

Good to see this thread is still alive after almost 6 years !

I still haven't flown my 310 this year so it looks like it's time to pull it down from the wall. Flying my 310 results in a high "pucker factor" due to the big $$$$$$ invested. In fact it's my most pricey model.[X(]

For a few more bucks I could probably get a real 310 !

I'm sure glad SHE isn't an RCU member !

Joe M.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

Good to see this thread is still alive after almost 6 years !

I still haven't flown my 310 this year so it looks like it's time to pull it down from the wall. Flying my 310 results in a high ''pucker factor'' due to the big $$$$$$ invested. In fact it's my most pricey model.[X(]

For a few more bucks I could probably get a real 310 !

I'm sure glad SHE isn't an RCU member !

Joe M.
Hey Joe,
You are not alone!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 05-08-2012, 07:05 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I am waiting for robart tp come out with the elect. retracts before continuing my assembly, still undecided on 4 stroke or electric motors [&:]
Old 05-08-2012, 11:16 PM

a couple of ideas: 1. look at downandlocked.com for electrical retracts and doors systems; 2. a fellow built his cessna with electric, using rimfire motors, batteries, etc.. i thought he subsequently posted that he felt the batteries were an issue, and was considering using glow power. the electrical work posted looked awesome. i would like to know if the builder really changed to glow power. 3. if you decide to add "foam" to the inside of the main wing, to add strength, pre-plan what wiring you want to run to the wheel wells and anything from the motors to the power source (battery or RX). once you foam, it probably is impossible to run lines through the wing. good luck.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 AM
My Feedback: (4)

I have been putting this project to the side for a little bit...Been working on my P51D 60. I do agree this is my most costly model as well too lol.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:57 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Nitro Wing, Hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I agree with you. Robart electric retracts will be great. I put electric servo operated retracts in mine. JR low profile servos. They work well. Just can't get the proper angle on the front nose gear. If anyone out there is interested , I'm going to sell a complete used twinsync set up including onboard glo, nacelle batteries and switches, and the digital tach display that they no longer make. Give me a PM if interested. Thanks all.

Just an update hear. The twin sync I mentioned had been sold. Thanks you.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:24 AM

of course I dont mind, its a discussion forum
I am going to wait fo electric retracts, got plenty of other projects to keep me busy.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 AM

...showing my age here...anybody remember the kraft hayes electrics fron the seventies...still have a nib set...bo
Old 08-12-2012, 12:22 PM
My Feedback: (54)

I remember them
Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Me too!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 08-12-2012, 12:56 PM

...heavy but they worked..bo
Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 AM

I have a set of Robert gear for the TF C-310 that are slightly used and have he Down and Locked conversion available for sale if anyone is interested. They include the main struts and wheels. The only thing you will need to get is the nose strut and wheel as I haven't found it yet. These are slightly used but in excellent condition. Plane was sold without the gear.
These work very good on the TF Cessna 310
Contact me if interested.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2012, 04:58 AM

going to be jumping right back on this project again next week and complete it this time...almost been a year since i got it. Hopefully get this up in the air soon
Old 08-23-2012, 05:02 AM

going to be jumping right back on this project again next week and complete it this time...almost been a year since i got it. Hopefully get this up in the air soon
Old 08-23-2012, 02:57 PM

Dear Badazzgti03:

The Cessna 310 is the plane of my dreams, and I bought it as my FIRST plane! I love it!. Before doing anything with it, since I did not have the experience to fly it, I joined the local flying club (Ottumwa, IA) and had some great people help me check the plane for all mechanical and cosmetic problems. It turned out my plane was in excellent condition despite being about five or six years old.

Now, there are a few things I would recommend to improve the plane, and to prevent in-flight mechanical failures.

First, I replaced the wooden sticks or "beams" used to support the servo boards, in the center of the plane, with BASSWOOD from SIG. I used pieces one-quarter inch thick, by three-eights wide, by nine inches long. I then measured one-half inch from each end, made a line across the width of the wood, and then carefully cut the wood so it was only one-eight inch thick for each one-half inch of the ends of the beams. This allowed me to "countersink" the wooden beams against the wood mounting rails of the plane that are already glued into the fuselage, running length-wise of the plane. You now have the options of gluing the beams to the fuselage, or using screws to hold the beams in place, or gluing the beams followed by putting a small wood screw in each end, as well. These "beams" are super strong for mounting the servo and battery boards, and work great!

Next, I replaced the flimsy, thin servo and battery mounting "boards" with SIG 5-ply, plywood, one-eight inch thick, and copying the width and length from the original board(s) sizes. These boards are much stronger, flex less, and serve as "insurance" against in-flight failure. I mounted them with socket head cap screws (4-40 x 1/4" long) with washers. The mounting "beams" and "boards" are now super strong, and you won't worry about servo and rod failures, or having the glue dry out, followed by the entire "works" coming undone during stress times when flying. BTW, I find RTL Fasteners (www.rtlfasteners.com), Chesapeake, VA to be an excellent source of screws, nuts, bolts, etc.. Great people, great prices, and great products,,great shipping time, and they DON'T SCREW YOU on the shipping charges!!!

Next, make sure you paint the FLAPS interior compartments. They are directly behind the engines, and bare wood only invites problems later on. The "mechanicals" for the flaps are very goodstrong, cleanly mounted, accessable.

Next, I was profoundly "BORED" with an ENTIRELY BLACK INTERIOR, SO.....you put the wife to work. Women naturally have a better "eye" for paint schemes, decorations, etc.. It's fun to make your plane really FUN for air shows, static displays at malls, etc.. I painted my pilot, have flight case and maps next to him, have a "mini-QUILT" on the rear seat, and I have A CESSNA 310 INSIGNIA, carved from wood and covered in gold cloth, on the back interior wall. The interior is really nice, (pictures to follow in near future), and I made sure other people could participate in the building process so they would have fun, would feel part of the "team" effort, and would be able to "BRAG" about building my plane. When you get the "girls" involved, your PR factor for your club sky-rockets! And, suddenly, the food at static displays and field shows becomes much better! (Ha!).

Finally, I knew every 310 was painted the same. I really like the color "blue," but wanted a unique paint scheme. I hired Sue Hopper, (Signs and Wonders, LLC; phone: (319)-750-0814; email: [email protected]) because the exterior and interior MUST be the best possible. Sue travels the country (USA) and paints trucks, motorcycles (lots of work at Sturgis), boats, cars, about anything you want, and she does SUPER GREAT WORK!! Her prices are really good, and she did a superb job on the plane (pictures to follow). My Cessna was her first plane, and she loved doing the work. In turn, I recommend her highly for any painting work.

Now, the only thing left is to have DownandLocked.com help me get my landing gear doors in sequence.

In closing, I wish to thank Harold Zimmerman, Council Bluffs, IA for selling me a great plane with no problems. He did a great job of having his plane built exactly to plans, and he "loaded it" with mechanicalsrobarts, downandlocked, futaba servos, 14 channel RX, Meash wheels, and two OS .46ax motors. When I bought the plane, it was in excellent condition. Again, I thank Harold for a great way for me to enter flying, despite, as a novice, me having the proverbial "cart before the horse." Now, I just have to learn how to fly! And, I must offer great thanks and appreciation to Don Wasson, of Ottumwa Radio Controlled Flying Club (ORFC). Don introduced me to the club, will serve as my instructor, and has been just great about helping with "a million questions" while I work on my plane. Also, thanks to Dave Rabe, Jerry, Bob, Larry, and the rest of the guys at the club. And, I would be remiss if I did not also say "thank you" to all the guys at the Iowa Aerohawks Flying Club in Iowa City, IA. They are also a great bunch of guys to know. If you want to see some great planes, look at: rchawks.com, and iowacityaerohawks.com.

Thank you for the time. I hope my ideas help you. Orion4455. Bob G, Fairfield, IA

Old 08-24-2012, 08:04 AM

Orion,

thanks for the idea's man but I already took care of a lot of the problems especially the wing issue...I did the carbon tube mod.

I haven't really thought about the interior....I probably will change it around..My father use to own a real 1958 Cessna 310 like "song bird" back in that old TV show.

I painted my 310 Matte black and going to add a light blue pearl effect stripping that changes colors in different views of light. almost going to have a "Tron" kinda look to it.
I also have a lot of electronics and equipment going into this thing too.

I'm hoping to have it in the air by the end of the year.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 AM

I'm going to stick with the standard air retracts with this model
Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM

Guys, for what it's worth I worked with TF designers on the wing problem (although I'd doubt they will admit there was a problem) that was showing up where the skin would crack back by he flap area.
The problem was being caused by the wood that was being used in the rear spar sheer webs.
The solution was to epoxy carefully cut pieces of 1/8" ply just in back of the flaps from the root of the wing out to just past the flaps. If I remember correctly you have to lift the covering that extends from the wing bottom into that area first, glue in the ply and then you can iron the covering back down.
I tested this fix pretty hard on a "test bed" TF310 we had doing what I would describe as carrier landings and the wings never showed any signs of cracking the skin again.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am starting to build my 310 (I know - Johnny come lately) and did my time by reading all 144 pages. My only concern as I start to build is the weakness in the trailing edge of the wing causing it to crack on hard landings. A friend of mine suggested inserting wood webbing (in the areas highlighted below with an "X") which should strengthen the wing. I decided to use 2 layers of 1.5 oz fiberglass. I read where some builders fiberglassed the bottom of the wing or where they pulled the sheeting back and inserting webbing from the inside of the flap area. I am at the beginning point of this build where I could also do those things to add additional strength, but would prefer not to if not needed.

I would greatly appreciate feedback from any builder.

On another note, I making the plane 100% electric and plan to use Lado retracts and servos to operate inner gear doors and nose gear doors.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54509.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1802465  
Old 09-18-2012, 09:19 AM

dear rgaynor:

I would consult with Top Flight, some r/c flight clubs, and other builders before adding webbing, etc..

I bought my plane, already built, got excited, and then "foamed" the insides of the wings. foaming the wings was easy, and it added considerable strength. the foaming has also proved very good for several cessna owners who report 50 or more landings with no wing cracking problems. in retrospect, i wonder if it would work as well if the foaming was from the inside edge of the wing (edge next to fuselage) out to the engine compartments, instead of out almost to the ends of the wings.

other builders have used fiberglass rods inside the wings, from the center of the two wing halves out to the engine compartments. this may be a "cleaner" approach to gain strength, but i have no knowledge about how it helps or hinder strength to the wings.

i have also daydreamed aboiut putting a "bungy" type cord in the wings, stretching from one engine compartment to the other, inside the wing, with a release buckle to ease the tension when not using the plane. i thought maybe the bungy cord would function like a "cross-bow" cord, with the tension keeping the wings level when landing, but allowing for minimal flex when landing. just saying........

I really think several ways can be used, independently or together, to strengthen the wings. remember, the stress is really on the area from the fuselage out to the engine compartment. that's where the "flex" and breaking areas occur. And, I DEFINITELY would use one way or another to add strength. THE WING'S STRUCTURES ARE TOO WEAK RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!! also, im not sure how much weight is added by fiberglassing the undersides of the wings. the foam is very light, yet strong.

Give TopFlight a call, talk to some more builders, and then make your choice. You will be fine, regardless of choice. Oh yes! Not to sound "bossy," but make sure to balance your plane after the strength additionsbalance front to back, AND side to side, so you are not overweighted in any area.

i hope this helps somewhat. Good luck and remember to ENJOY the building process while you are doing it. Orion4455

Old 09-18-2012, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Orion4455 for your feedback. I will continue to research and will call TF for any updates. Regarding balancing, I have build many scratch and kit planes and ALWAYS make sure that I am balanced 360. Much appreciated again.
Ron
Old 09-19-2012, 06:19 AM

dear rgaynor:

A quick note. In the 144 pages of descriptions for the cessna 310 building is a guy who did his plane totally electric. he did a super job, and supplied pictures. i forget his name, but it would be easy to find him in the entries. i also remember that after going electric he thought about switching to gas because of batteries/chargers etc problems or expense. try to contact him about the electric. he might be very helpful. hope this helps...orion4455.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 AM

dear rgaynor: i went through my notes. here is one guy who went all electric and did a great job. it should give you some ideas. See: rcgroups.com, topflight cessna 310 conversion, bruff, post numbers 1, 5, etc.. this guy did some great electrical work with a 310. awesome! best, orion4455.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.