Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Old 01-24-2020, 05:30 PM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by flyguyy
how do you get the lead out of the nose ?
Not sure which route I am going to take. Going to build the plane first and take out only enough to balance it out.
The following users liked this post:
jnayjaso (04-05-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 03:32 AM
barzini
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flew my 310 this past season with the OS55 engines and a couple of onboard glow units i bought on ebay.The plane took off from our grass runway and flew great.Its a light plane for its size.I thought about small gas engines but i dont like the look when part of the engine is hanging out of the cowl.I also have a Top Flite B25 with two OS 91 four strokes and thats another great flying plane.
jnayjaso (04-05-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 05:02 AM
rowdog_14

Originally Posted by barzini
I flew my 310 this past season with the OS55 engines and a couple of onboard glow units i bought on ebay.The plane took off from our grass runway and flew great.Its a light plane for its size.I thought about small gas engines but i dont like the look when part of the engine is hanging out of the cowl.I also have a Top Flite B25 with two OS 91 four strokes and thats another great flying plane.
Nice! I like gas but not first choice. These 60t will fit perfect in the cowl. Yeah I would love the B25.
jnayjaso (04-05-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 06:57 AM
rowdog_14

Tsutomu Mabuchi Pilot P51 I noticed you guys have the Sierra setup. I sent both of you a PM. Hopefully you all are still active . I was wondering how you all setup cutting a slot for the sierra nose gear. Do not want to hack to much into this plane, nor mess up the gear mount integrity modifying for the slot. Thanks

I have reached Down and Locked about conversion for the Sierra. Waiting on a reply from here and/or their site.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:16 PM
rowdog_14

Was not able to get a reply from down and locked through RCU or direct. Came across a guy selling some electric Robarts for a good price. So my Sierra gear will be up for sale as soon as I get the Robarts.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:37 PM
Joerock1988
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop size

hello sir, what size 3 blade prop did you use on the DLE-20s?

Originally Posted by dobro
Here's a couple of pics. Had to log out and log back in fixed the photo issue.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:12 AM
harttvboy04
My Feedback: (32)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finally got one, almost 15 years later ;)

Hey all! Just got my hands on and finished going through both this thread and the 310.

I’d wanted one of these since they came out back in 2006, so I’ve always kept a look out for one of these. The opportunity came and I seized the chance...

The 310 I got second hand clearly had some time on it, but I took precautions and foamed the wing with Great Stuff gaps and cracks, I’ll post photos shortly. Because Gaps and Cracks is a minimal expansion foam, I felt comfortable squeezing a bit in the wing, starting inboard and retracting the insertion wand through the ribs first from the throttle servo pockets point inboard then from the retract bay outboard. I did almost have an ‘oops’ moment when I forgot to block off the throttle pocket, but I quickly learned using denatured alcohol both dissolves the uncurled foam and stops the expansion providing a little control over the process. The result was foam expanding through one nacelle mounting hole, touching that all-important rear spar and the forward spar from the nacelle inboard.

I hope to have a first flight this afternoon but wanted to ask. When you CG this plane, are you doing so with the gear extended or retracted? My CG is set at 3.5” with gear retracted, but quite a bit more nose heavy with gear extended. I’m a little perplexed as to why the manual would not specify this.

Another question, for the lighting are the lights strictly 4.8v only, or can they run 6v?

If anyone has any spare parts for this plane and would be willing to sell them, please let me know .

Best,

Chris

Last edited by harttvboy04; 05-03-2020 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Added photos
Joerock1988 (05-09-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 06:33 AM
rowdog_14

Nice and yes the 310 is a great plane!

Did you take any measures to allow for the air tubing and servos wires to be serviced? Also curious...I am know not a lot but how much weight did the foam add?

The manual actually does show balancing with the gear extended

I am not sure about the lights voltage...

Make sure you get a video post. I love seeing flights of RC planes!!!!!
Old 05-04-2020, 03:49 AM
harttvboy04

Thanks rowdog_14, I saw the picture and figured that might be true, so I shifted the CG back to where it balanced @3.5” with the gear extended. Mine came out just under 21 pounds. I didn’t weight the wing before foaming, but I’ll weigh the used can and a new can of Great Stuff and let you know.

Here’s the video, shot by my buddy Whatts05! I didn’t get the gear up because I unplugged the servo while troubleshooting an apparent XBUS hub and/or PWM adapter failure. Subsequent flights were much faster with the gear retracted and she felt much more settled, not like a 21 pound plane that was under powered, likely in the 100 mph range based on previous experience at that field.

It should be stated, the grass was tall and I am using 4” Robart wheels. She lifted off in about 400’, and she went through that length in a hurry on the ground.

​​​​​​

As a side note, I’d love to see photos of the cable management for the wiring and air lines coming from the wing. I’m just not happy with how the wiring needed to be managed in bunches. There’s a lot there between lighting, servos and air lines...

im also thinking 11x7 is too much prop. I had two engine out landings yesterday, one due to fuel out the second to a lean run maybe, still working that out.

Last edited by harttvboy04; 05-04-2020 at 03:52 AM.
rowdog_14 (05-06-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 05:57 AM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Like you Chris I finally got my hands on a 310.
I had also been waiting for years looking for the right one to come along. Mine is built but was never flown by the previous owner. I considered doing twin DLE 20s but I don’t want to do all the required re enforcing to the wing.
I am strongly considering some RCGF 10cc gassers.
Roughly equivalent to a 61 2 stroke glow.
What is the purpose of filling the wing with foam?
Is the wing known to be weak?
Look forward to learning more..
Old 05-05-2020, 06:09 AM
harttvboy04

Originally Posted by Dieselman1220
I had also been waiting for years looking for the right one to come along. Mine is built but was never flown by the previous owner. I considered doing twin DLE 20s but I don’t want to do all the required re enforcing to the wing.
I am strongly considering some RCGF 10cc gassers.
Roughly equivalent to a 61 2 stroke glow.
What is the purpose of filling the wing with foam?
Is the wing known to be weak?
Look forward to learning more..
Yeah, the wing has had some proven weak spots. If you foam the wing, don't go crazy, you can always add more but you can't really fix it too easily it if expands beyond the strength of the ribs and sheeting. Keep this plane light. People have had success with the DLE 20's, but the thing to do is keep the engine weight as close to the 26-27 ounce total (with fuel) as you can, not sure that's possible with the DLEs or the RCGFs.

I foamed the wing because just taxi-testing revealed how weak the retract blocks were, so I reinforced those with 2oz fiberglass cloth and 30 minute epoxy then decided the foam was necessary. Mine came out just shy of 21 pounds and I can tell you, without significantly more power I wouldn't want any more weight. That aside, people have also experienced in-flight wing failures that cause complete loss of the aircraft, whereas most only experienced the dreaded cracked lower spar close to the retracts in the wings.

I'll look up the 10cc RCGFs. The twin OS 46 AXs I have flew the plane very well once off the ground and out of initial climb-out, but that climb-out being very scale is a bit unnerving to me. That said again it flew great, so now I'm experimenting with props before a power system change.

Got some pictures of your 310?! Hopefully they'll bring this plane back as I don't know of any other nice civilian twins in this size .

Old 05-05-2020, 07:44 AM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

I probably have over 100 flights on my C-310 with Os .46. I had my first engine flame out on the most recent flight with it a few weeks ago. I was at an estimated altitude of 250 or 300 feet, maybe 350. I was headed downwind at about mid field when it quit. I continued downwind while pretty much holding altitude. It was not my plan or intent but at the end of my downwind leg while still at about the same altitude as where the engine failed The plane flipped over on its back and headed straight down, basically a split "S" I pulled out of the dive with the good engine at full power and lots of air speed. From there it still wasn't pretty but I was headed toward the runway more or less. I struggled to find the right amount of rudder and aileron to keep it level but I never fully lost directional control the rest of the way. I managed to hit the runway and made a pretty good landing under the circumstances. I don't recall if I found a reason for the flame out or not. I run Master Airscrew (Black) 11x5 props on my plane for what its worth. I will probably get it out in the next week or so and fly again and see how the engine runs. It flew better on one engine than I ever thought it would but it would not be good to have one quit on upwind leg after takeoff and low altitude, low airspeed. I would probably do a semi Split s and land down wind if that ever happened. That is assuming that I had enough altitude to do that. I realize I was lucky, with where it quit and how high I was. Up until that flight the engines have always been perfect, never a sputter or cough. I typically start the right engine first, set the needle ( never fully leaned out), always a few clicks rich and then kill it. Then start the left engine, set needle and then restart the right engine. I do this so I can hear both engines without the noise of the other engine. I start them in that order so I am out of the way of the running engine when starting the right engine for the second time.

Last edited by turnnburn; 05-05-2020 at 08:17 AM. Reason: add text
Old 05-05-2020, 07:56 AM
harttvboy04

Originally Posted by turnnburn
I probably have over 100 flights on my C-310 with Os .46. I had my first engine flame out on the most recent flight with it a few weeks ago. I was at an estimated altitude of 250 or 300 feet, maybe 350. I was headed downwind at about mid field when it quit. I continued downwind while pretty much holding altitude. It was not my plan or intent but at the end of my downwind leg while still at about the same altitude as where the engine failed The plane flipped over on its back and headed straight down, basically a split "S" I pulled out of the dive with the good engine at full power and lots of air speed. From there it still wasn't pretty but I was headed toward the runway more or less. I struggled to find the right amount of rudder and aileron to keep it level but I never fully lost directional control the rest of the way. I managed to hit the runway and made a pretty good landing under the circumstances. I don't recall if I found a reason for the flame out or not. I run Master Airscrew (Black) 11x5 props on my plane for what its worth. I will probably get it out in the next week or so and fly again and see how the engine runs. It flew better on one engine than ever thought it would but it would not be good to have one quit on upwind leg after takeoff and low altitude, low airspeed. I would probably do a semi Split s and land down wind if that ever happened. That is assuming that I had enough altitude to do that. I realize I was lucky, with where it quit and how high I was. Up until that flight the engines have always been perfect, never a sputter or cough. I typically start the right engine first, set the needle ( never fully leaned out), always a few clicks rich and then kill it. Then start the left engine, set needle and then restart the right engine. I do this so I can hear both engines without the noise of the other engine. I them in that order so I am out of the way of the running engine when starting the right engine for the second time.
Interestingly I had two flameouts on my right engine my first day out, so I had the complete experience...I had my doubts about the right engine but in run ups it ran well enough that I was confident both in my ability to keep the plane fast and to do what was necessary. I was running 11x7 APC props when i had my first flameout. I flew right to 10 minutes, I think I ran out of fuel on that run. But the second I think the right engine was a bit leaner than the left, I could see toward the end of that short flight there was less of a smoke trail (but still clearly there...) on the engine that ended up flaming out. Also interesting about that engine is that both the high speed and low speed needles are very stiff, so I'm wondering it the O-rings are shot on that engine. Mine are original AX engines, not the AXii, so I may try to source an original .46 AX to replace the problem engine. When I saw and heard the flameout (engine surge then quit) I floored the engine that was still on because I had ample airspeed, added a touch of rudder and correcting aileron. Once on final I dropped the gear and added flaps a touch later than normal, but once I had the runway made I idled the throttle and landed normally. Those weren't the prettiest of landings but they weren't rough and they were much more predictable than I anticipated.

Anyone have either a new or trustworthy original OS .46AX they'll part with?
Old 05-05-2020, 08:39 AM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

11x7 is a lot of prop for a.46 sized engine. That is a prop for a .55 to .61 typically. I run 11x5 and set them a few clicks rich. My timer is set for 5:30 which is overly conservative. By the time I land it is closer to 6:30 or 7:00 actual flying time. Mine are .46Ax as well. I never wanted to have one flame out and I am overly careful to set them and run them to avoid a shut down. I will get it out in the next week or so and fly it and see how they run. I don't think I have flown it since the shut down but I may have.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:07 PM
rowdog_14

Originally Posted by harttvboy04
Thanks rowdog_14,.
harttvboy04 nice video and yeah that 11x7 is probably too much prop. I would try a 11x6 or 10x6.

Originally Posted by Dieselman1220
I had also been waiting for years looking for the right one to come along. Mine is built but was never flown by the previous owner. I considered doing twin DLE 20s...
There is a guy that has flown his with a DLE20. Not sure how it is holding up
Old 05-08-2020, 06:40 PM
rowdog_14

Ok, finally got the twins ready to run!!!!

Old 05-08-2020, 07:13 PM
harttvboy04

Originally Posted by rowdog_14
Ok, finally got the twins ready to run!!!!

Oh that’s *gorgeous*....

I’m not sure that 11x7 is too much prop if the engine is good and loose or tuned rich. The left engine ran like a top, not an ounce of trouble. Just to be sure I found a new .46ax which is the same as what’s mounted on the right, just gonna break it in and replace it. Not sure if the history, but judging by the difference in tuning and dead sticking I know the right engine isn’t as healthy as the left. Time will tell .

Last edited by harttvboy04; 05-08-2020 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Grammar.
The following 2 users liked this post by harttvboy04:
Joerock1988 (05-09-2020), rowdog_14 (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 07:16 PM
rowdog_14

Current weight is 17.6lbs. I estimate another 32oz/2lbs added prior to balance. Which will bring it out to about 20lbs. I am sure it is going to be nose heavy so removing the factory nose weight will help balance and lighten it up. Can. It wait to here these suckers run!!
Joerock1988 (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 02:26 PM
rowdog_14

Very short clip of the first run!

Joerock1988 (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 07:20 PM
harttvboy04

Originally Posted by rowdog_14
Very short clip of the first run!

https://youtu.be/i4_V8P58Yb8
Yup. That’s beautiful. Are those .60 twins still available?
Old 05-09-2020, 07:56 PM
rowdog_14

Thanks, unfortunately they are discontinued from saito. People still sell them used but they can cost a good penny.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:39 PM
harttvboy04

Well rowdog? Any flying yet?!
Old 06-23-2020, 05:46 PM
rowdog_14

Originally Posted by harttvboy04
Well rowdog? Any flying yet?!
No, between work, flight training and family I am slow going with the 310. I also had an issue with one of the saito 60t. I fixed that today by swapping motors . I still need to hinge the flaps and ail and balance. I will say right now I really feel this thing is a BRICK / PIG with the two saito 60t with the factory nose weight . I really wish they did not put that weight in there. Getting there slowly .... That said I am really wanting to just get it together and just look at it. This is probably the second plane I have been scared to fly beside the Gee Bee .
Old 06-28-2020, 04:42 AM
rowdog_14

Ok good people, hopefully this will find a few eyes on this stagnant thread . I search a little but did not find what I need. I have an issue with the throttle links binding and not being precise. Here are a few pictures of my quick setup. I need something way more robust in linkage and geometry. I am using two Saito 60t. I can not go direct or semi direct link because the tank is in the way Please help...Thanks

Old 07-02-2020, 07:48 PM
rowdog_14

Got it figured out without having to do crazy things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.