Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
 Top Flite Cessna 310 posted >

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Old 09-26-2007, 02:56 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Mike,

Can you see if you have a balsa spar? I can't help but wonder what caused these failures. I know ARF failures generally fall into three categories:

bad design - in this case most would be bad
bad run at the factory - many times you will see a lot where substandard parts are used or a glue joints are missed
pilot induced - many times people see things differently than they really are when they make a mistake or overstress a component
Old 09-26-2007, 02:59 PM

Try this one [link]http://Test Flight[/link]
Old 09-26-2007, 03:22 PM

This is such a large file, last try sorry

https://email.itt.com/exchweb/bin/re...1%26pr=goog-sl
Old 09-26-2007, 03:41 PM

Sorry guys give up with the video, Google is blocking it.

Lets see if Top flite respond to those guys theat have had the Failures !!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:01 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the sheeting off my cracked wing with the intent to repair.The main spar is balsa with a small strip of some kind of hardwood on the top and bottom(maybe spruce?)The rear spar is plain balsa. In my opinion they cut corners on the design the spars could have been made from plywood with hardwood capstrips with very little weight increase.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:33 PM

if you guys are in doubt, glass the wing over the spars (not the whole wing) and re-monokote.. cheap insurance and perhaps a couple of oz weight gain if that
Old 09-27-2007, 08:52 AM
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: bill4719

I took the sheeting off my cracked wing with the intent to repair.The main spar is balsa with a small strip of some kind of hardwood on the top and bottom(maybe spruce?)The rear spar is plain balsa. In my opinion they cut corners on the design the spars could have been made from plywood with hardwood capstrips with very little weight increase.
I wonder if it was designed that way or was a factory foul up. These things are made in China just like Mattel toys. It wouldn't surprise me if they substitued cheaper material to save money or time. If they were designed to use balsa spars then shame on Top Flite. I know TF has been around a long time but if you check the Great Planes and Top Flite sites almost all of their products have a "Tech Notice" which changes the instructions or warns of a needed modification. No matter if it was the factory or the design team, Top Flite is responsible for the failures if balsa was used.

Yak
Old 09-27-2007, 12:26 PM

I have today spoken to Top flight, I got the number for the product manager who turns out to be away for 2 weeks. Spoke to someone else (Don Anderson I think) who promises to respond to me tonight. I will post the reply If i get one. Trying to decide if i should fly the plane this weekend or not as planned.
Alan
Old 09-27-2007, 12:55 PM

This is the response i got !!

Good Afternoon Alan,
Don Anderson passed along your message about the wings on the Cessna. We take these reports very seriously and appreciate you taking the time to contact us with your concerns.

We have given this information to the Designer in R&D who was responsible for this ARF during its developmental stages and the test flying of the prototypes and early production samples thru our structural tests. He will examine these initial production ones along with current stock to see if anything has changed.

This ARF has been a very trouble free model since its introduction at the beginning of this year. Thank you again for your information on the wing. Rest assured if we find any unauthorized changes, we will take it up with our Vendor.

Sincerely,

Art Pesch

Senior Manager
Service and Support

Hobbico
Old 09-27-2007, 01:53 PM
My Feedback: (6)

I think 3 mishaps is not enough to pull the panic alarm. I know of 4 of these planes flying in New England ( mine included ) that are flying fabulously. This plane floats ever so gently on landing, everybody loves to blame the manufacturer. I say fly yours and those that have had trouble I am sorry but not every landing is picture perfect. If a plane crashes, does that immediately make it a "serious design flaw", I think not.

Good luck

R/C Foolish
Old 09-27-2007, 01:56 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just the fact that the email came from Art Pesch himself says a lot. Art is one of the Big Wigs at GP
Old 09-27-2007, 02:57 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Alans Please understand I have been flying since 1969 . I have one many awards with my Jets that I build. I did stall air plane from about 10''. After looking at structure their was not alot of glue in their and it is mostly soft balsa. I'm not sure the spare which is cracked is the problem. When you land hard the pylon twist the wing. This caused all the craking. The pylon is bolted on and not glued to the frount edge of the wing is it possable that when you land hard the pylon drops pulling the back of the wing up in a twisting motion ? I have contacted the nice people at hobby services and they want to inspect the wing. It will go out tomorrow. My thinking is to glass the new wings with 1 1/2 Oz to the out side of the pylon then 3/4 oz to the tip and paint. I would rather be flying. Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54863.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	771399  
Old 09-27-2007, 09:12 PM

I think the twisting is what causes the failure,I didn't land mine that hard ,I had a crosswind from the west and drifted off the runway on to the fresh cut grass.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After we saw the postings about the Top Flite Cessna 310 ARF wing fractures, we took some time to investigate the claimed problems in the model.

The wing of the Top Flite Cessna 310 ARF is substantial. It is built with hardwood spars, continuous balsa shear webbing and with plywood shear webbing where loads are critical. After we read of the wing difficulties, we pulled a kit from production stock, removed the sheeting, and confirmed that the wing's construction was still being done correctly by the manufacturer. The random kit we inspected was to our specifications. This kit was personally checked by the R&D Lead Designer for the Cessna 310 ARF project.

Before we released this model for production, it was extensively flown and put through flight stresses that most modelers would never consider doing intentionally with their own model. Part of this testing included hard landings. During testing, we actually stalled the airplane from 3'-4' above the ground. We did break the landing gear rail but did not break the wing, or even crack it. The wing's structure is very strong.

We do everything we can to ensure that problems do not occur in every model we design and release into the marketplace. The Top Flite Cessna 310 ARF kit was no different in how it was developed, tested, and released.

As always, if a modeler has a problem with any of our products, they should contact Product Support at (217) 398-8970 - 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Central Time. Each incident will be thoroughly reviewed. Our support staff should be able to help you resolve your difficulty. If you believe your model has a difficulty that is a result of its original manufacture, it can always be sent to Hobby Services. Here are the return instructions: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1154095/tm.htm
Old 09-28-2007, 11:24 AM

Too bad KMP does not support their products like this...
Old 09-29-2007, 05:24 AM

Hoby Ser. has been steller with any issues I have had with all of my GP and Top flit products.....
Simply awsome for me...

I would put there warenty and non-warrenty services to test against anyone else.... and they would beat them hands down...
This is why I buy there products, because they have always stood by there products for me....
If they say there is no design flaw then I beleave them.
It is possible that ther were a few of these that perhaps had a lack of glue in crucial area that caused a failure.

I look forward ot the release of their B-25 twin as I am sure that it will be a winner.

JMHO and experiece with them.

Justin
Old 09-29-2007, 06:34 AM

Well all I can say is that after over 35 years of flying and testing model planes I can shure indentify a design flaw in a plane and my friends 310 had one and a major one. If the others were ok good for them but I know that I would personally open it up if I would get one.
I still can make a difference between harwood and balsa wood and were the wing crack it shure wasn't hard wood, If I had seen the build up under the covering I wouldn't of let him fly it unless it was re-enforeced in that area, this was no landing to crack a wing.
Now its repaired and glassed, if the wing cracks again well I will have to point at the pilot

I have no issue with Top-Flite products or any other ones ,its just the ARF's that I worry about in any products.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:07 PM

I am going to hold off flying it for a while, I am considering glassing the wings.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: alans

I am going to hold off flying it for a while, I am considering glassing the wings.
good call Alan

If you would open up the area between the nacelles and the center section it would scare you trust me on that one.[X(]

Old 10-01-2007, 07:38 PM

This is such a great flying aircraft that after my wing failure I glassed the wings from nacelle to nacelle. I feel much better and more confident about flying it. I didn't want to hurt anyone or property.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:25 PM

Hi all...

Can someone post some photos of how they mounted the pick-up's for their twin sync. Not the mags...the pick-ups.

Thanks,

Bo
Old 10-03-2007, 05:17 PM
My Feedback: (43)

Bo - here you go.

Galen
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34108.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	775944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18962.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	775945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52176.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	775946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13139.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	775947  
Old 10-03-2007, 05:31 PM

Galen...that's kinda' what I intended to do...are you getting any "whipping" of the wooden arm?

Did you have any issues with drilling the hub?

How does the system perform?

Thanks,

Bo
Old 10-03-2007, 05:55 PM

Galen,

Can you describe the on-board glow system you are using....thanks...

Bo
Old 10-03-2007, 06:14 PM

Hey Bo,

My installation isnt as neat as Galen's, so i think i'll be re-doing mine like that, but so far the system performs extremely well - I found if I got the idle point set right, then the twinsync really worked well! I had no problems drilling the spinners for the magnets either

-RN

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.