Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
 Top Flite Cessna 310 posted >

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Old 11-26-2007, 03:37 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

the electric guys have the same if not more weight in there batteries than what is in the nose. the packs we use to power the rec and lights are no where close in weight. you would have to put weight back in so what's the use?

Allen
Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 PM

Handyman
Just trying to help out
All I can say is I saved 4 pound in weight overall, if i had not removed the lead my plane would of been 4 lb heavier.

She takes off a lot easier than the 2 other 310's in my club !
Old 11-26-2007, 04:00 PM
My Feedback: (49)

4 pounds ???????? How can that be ? There isnt 4 pounds of lead in the nose, is there ?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:00 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Mark,
I cut out the wheel well like Alans did and used a small screwdriver (just a liiile larger than the shot) to remove the steel shot from the nose using a twisting motion to break the shot loose.
Yes it is steel shot instead of lead, the game and fish commission has banned lead shot for duck hunting because they found it harmful to ducks health. You can remove the shot with a magnet tied to a string.
I then installed 3 batteries in the nose, one was for the onboard glow driver, and secured them with some DAP KWIK FOAM using it sparingly.
I cut out the front baggage door to put in the switches and air filler and guage . I used the front hatch to replace some of the steel shot.
I have not balanced it yet so i don't know the final weight. I am still trying to install BVM brakes.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88340.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	812679  
Old 11-26-2007, 04:02 PM

What does yours weigh ?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:11 PM

No there is only about two pounds in the nose. If you remove 2 pounds from in front of the
C/G the you con remove 2 pounds behind the C/G. OR even more closer to the C/G.
Chris
Old 11-26-2007, 04:12 PM
My Feedback: (1)

im leccy so 22.6lbs 10 minute flights. shes put away now for winter but flew very nice on e flite power 60s. i would dead stick all the time and the plane always handled great. i did remove throw via the radio. I think some folks have too much throw and that would get you in trouble. Go to you local GA airport and ask for a discovery flight they will let you fly. notice how litltle the aileron actually moves in flight. Models are the same they dont need a ton of throw
Old 11-26-2007, 04:17 PM

Chrishwegner
You are correct, 2 llbs out of the nose, mine weighed in at 18 1/2 llb. Why they put lead in the nose i don't know.
I have twinsync fitted which proved to be a model saver, on flight number 9 the left engine quit, plug gave out. The twynsync automatically cut the other engine to idle and I performed a dead stick landing !
Old 11-26-2007, 04:23 PM

And how did you remove 2 pounds from behind the CG ?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:08 PM

thats impossible! must be a typo
Old 11-26-2007, 06:05 PM

I know its impossible. Its probably some sort of missunderstanding. First of all I'd be suprised if there is 32 ounces ( 2 pounds) of lead in the nose. Secondly there is no possible way to remove hardly any weight from behind the CG that I can think of short of cutting off the entire vertical stabilizer. That would surely lighten it considerably but..................... stability might be slightly compromised.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:03 PM

It's not easy. The trick is to not install any thing behind the C/G. The further back you remove weight the less you have to remove to balance it out. If you remove 2 pounds 18 inches in front of C/G then you only have to remove 1 pound 36 inches back of C/G.
I'm not saying this can be done, this is just an example.
I only removed 1 pound from the nose but I moved everything forward as much as possible.
I'm using 4 stroke Magnum 70's and am afraid that I will have to add tail weight.
Chris
Old 11-26-2007, 10:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the informative posts. I took delivery of my TF310 last week and can't wait to start building. In Australia we need to have all models over 7kgs. (15lbs. 6 ozs.) certified as a heavy model. Bit of a nuisance but our club has an inspector as a member. By the way I was a little disappointed with the finish on the fuselage and one of the nacelle covers other than that she is a beautiful thing!! Look forward to continuing to read the posts from you all.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:07 AM

If the plane balances correctly with the weight, then I think I would only need to remove enough to equal the weight of the batteries I need to carry...so how much weight are we talking about?

How many batteries do we need - I want remote glow plugs, too - and of what types is everyone using?

I'm counting 2 receiver batteries in parallel - size? type?
Glow battery to drive both igniters size ? Type?
Lighting battery size? type?

I guess batteries are the last purchase that I can think of... (for this plane...)

Cya,
Mark
Old 11-27-2007, 07:07 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mark, something to consider is using the lighting battery to light the glow plugs. That's what I did.

Get a ceramic .5 Ohm resistor from Radio Shack and put it in the line to knock the power down. It will make the plugs glow pretty brightly, so you might want to add a variable resistor also.

I just used the .5 Ohm, and it worked fine for about 3 or 4 flights, but then I pulled it out because I was having other problems with it.

To turn it on and off, I added an EZ connector to one of the throttle arms which hit a metal contact at about 1/4 throttle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44889.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	813251  
Old 11-27-2007, 08:20 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the diagram. It looks like you have 2 .5 ohm resistors and 2 glow plugs in series. Your text says 1 resistor...just wondering which is the right circuit? Looks like the lighting system gets the entire 4.8 V.

I think I've purchased EVERYTHING I need, and I should be getting started this evening.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth it to go after the weight in the nose? How much weight in batteries do you think you're carrying around?

Also - what size receiver packs are you running, and are you familiar with any type of battery fail-safe devices? I have the redundancy of 2 receivers (Spektrum), but I'd like to make sure I don't have power issues, so I thought 2 batteries might be a good idea...also thinking about dual elevator servos, too. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-27-2007, 09:14 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doing 2 elevator servos is counter productive. Once you see how the elevators are set up you'll see why.

I used just a single .5Ω resistor. It made the plugs glow very brightly - so brightly that I was a bit concerned they may burn out. So I'm just suggesting that others MAY want to add a variable resistor to the 5Ω so they can turn it down a bit.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 AM

Mark,
I used a 4 cell battery for the lights because that is what they showed in the instructions. I also used 5 cell (6 volt) battery for the receiver because I felt that I needed the extra torque for the servos. For the glow plugs I used single C cell battery. The weight of these 3 batteries came to almost one pound which is how much steel shot I removed. Hope this helps.
Chris
Old 11-27-2007, 09:38 AM

Guys - do you think the digital servos that come with the Spektrum are good for this plane? If not, please suggest for me...

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-27-2007, 10:08 AM

Chris - perfect answer!

Thanks
Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 AM

MinnFlyer,

They are the JR standrad digitial servos and work fine for this airplane.

ACP
Old 11-29-2007, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: R/C Foolish

I would NOT imagine that Top Flight did anything about the issue of the wings. Considering how many planes were sold and just a handful of problems that could be attributed to any number of things. You should do what you think is best. I have been flying mine off grass for 4 months now without any problems at all. Remember there is a lot of weight out on those wings and you can't bounce it in.

R/C Foolish
Just curious, has anyone actually asked T/F about the wing issue?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:54 PM

Yes - read backwards - you'll see the reply from them, too. They were very professional, and did their best to assure them that they've really tested and beat up the plane hard without wing failres. They mentioned stalling the plane 3' off the ground on landing and stuff, and they didn't take this type of damage.

I'm not going to change anything unless I see a physical reason to after flying mine. I will have faith in Top Flite. I've built their P-47 wood kit 15 years ago, and it was built like a tank. I believe they know what they're doing.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:01 PM

Agreed. My first (and only) plane was/is a T/F Headmaster. That's right, not the Headmaster 40, the original Headmaster. I realize I am dating myself here. I started the build when I was 12 and stalled out when I got to where I needed to fit the servos - no money for radio and servos. I think my dad paid less than $30 for the kit. I did manage to buy an engine for it. Enya .29 as I recall. I later bought an O.S. .40 that I figured I'd use in the heli I had bought a short time later (another story). At any rate, that was about 35 years ago, I still have them, intact, and I'm determined I'm going to finish the Headmaster this winter. Why? Because even back then I knew I wanted to grow into a twin and after all these years, the T/F C310 has grabbed me. I've gotta have it. But I'll learn on the trainer.

I promise to get good on single engine before launching the 310, but I can't promise I won't buy the 310 first.

Seasoned pilots - how long on a single before trying a twin?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:25 AM

I also had a great respect for T/F. I built their DC-3, Cessna 182 and presently have their Piper Arrow under construction. All great kits and first quality.
The 310 however is another question. My wings failed. I hope for all you guys that don't have the problem, that it stays that way. I think mine was one in a batch that came out of China of poor quality.
I have repaired the inside wood of the wings and will glass the outer surface this winter.
The couple of flights I had with the 310 was fantastic. I love the plane and feel it is worth the efford to fix it.
HB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.