Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
 Top Flite Cessna 310 posted >

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

Old 12-06-2007, 10:21 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 310 posted

I did - Everything stock, except for Meesh's Exhaust Extensions and wheel hubs (Both of which I highly recommend!)
Old 12-06-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike - before I seal in the fuel tanks with the 1/4" wood "supports" - did you do anything in regards to foam and cushioning for the tanks, or just put them against bare wood?

Also - should I be concerned with the rear wood part of the nacelles not being fuel-proofed? I figure I can shoot it with monocote White paint to protect it, but I wanted to know from people already flying if I have a need to do this.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-06-2007, 11:01 AM

If you can I would recommend enlarging the tank compartment and adding some padding

Or - with the stock tanks, I rarely burn half a tank per flight, so you could also consider using a slightly smaller tank to allow for padding.

Several people (Me included) have had a minor problem with one tank foaming, so the padding might be a good idea.

And fuel proof to your heart's content. Spray polyurethane works well too
Old 12-06-2007, 11:13 AM

How many ounces do the current tanks hold? (I'm asking so I can stop by the hobby shop at lunch - I don't mind going a bit smaller so I can sit them in thin foam...)

Also - I will pickup some polyurethane spray just to avoid having any fuel-soaked wood down the line. Good idea. (It will stand up to 30%, you think? That's what I'm running on my Bobcat which also flies with the 55AX (fast, too!))

Thanks, Mike.

Looks like you and I are the only ones playing on the Cessna 310 thread...
Old 12-06-2007, 11:24 AM

Geeze, 30%???

I thought only those crazy heli pilots disliked their engines enough to use 30%

I run 15% but that's only cause I use mostly 4-strokes.

In any case, I don't know off hand how much the tanks hold. I'll see if I can find it someplace.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:25 AM

Well, that was easy - they are two 14-oz tanks, so you could easily go down to 12-oz
Old 12-06-2007, 02:01 PM

Hi Mike,
Try 30% heli fuel in the 4-bangers, too. I do. They smoke (added bonus) from the extra oil. They run cooler, and have more power as well on the 30%. You do not need to shim (2 strokes) or change anything other than your needle setting (probably lean it more, since everything is running a lot cooler.) Not many people know this, but 30% runs cooler than 15% - nitro is a cooling agent apparantly. My OS55AX with the Jett tuned muffler, 30%, APC 11x7 prop turns over 14,500 on the ground! Without the pipe, it was turning about 12,500! That's pretty darn good.

Yes I think I'll drop in 12's and use the extra space for some foam. 6-7 minutes is plenty of time for a nice flight, then refuel and go again...I'm guessing I'll get that long at full throttle the entire flight, so yeah, plenty of time I think.

Cya,
Mark

PS. I used to be one of the crazy heli guys! (Now I just have a Trex 450SE to fart around with when I'm in the mood.)
Old 12-06-2007, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another nice thing about the 30% besides running cooler,etc., is the idle will be better and the needle is easier to adjust. It amazes me the mis-conception that higher nitro fuel is bad for our engines. Yes, it is very bad on lean runs, so don't do that!

And another objection is the cost. In my area Cool Power 15% is around 15 bucks and the 30 is $23 +-. I have almost $1700 tied up in my 310...what's a little fuel cost difference matter?

There are instances where nitro is bad...I used to run the big Super Tigres...4500, etc. They uses FAI (no nitro) to avoid detonation, but the smaller two-strokes don't have that problem.

Bo
Old 12-06-2007, 03:26 PM

Well, from my point of view, I think that the 14 bucks a gallon I pay for 15% is WAY too much, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $24

and personally, I don't WANT my engines turning at 14,000+ RPM. 11.5 is plenty for me
Old 12-06-2007, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minnflyer,

I don't ues the 30 to get higher RPM...as a matter of fact, I don't lean on the needle very hard. I just like the cool running and better needle adjustment with the 30 vs the 15. Especially in my shop full of twins where ultra-reliability is a plus.

Just my $ .02 worth!

Bo
Old 12-07-2007, 08:57 AM

That OK...I pay $17/gallon for 30%, and if you look at the specs on the motors, they WANT to turn that fast. The real power comes on at 10,000+ rpm. What's interesting however is the wide range of props it supports at slower speeds...proves this motor just kicks ***** and is worth every penny.

Last night I just wasn't really motivated to do any building, but I put together the aluminum wheels. I also realized that I don't have all the extensions I need, so lunchtime I get to go to the hobby shop. Oh, I'm going to go with 12oz tanks. THat's what's in my Bobcat now, and I get about 6 minutes at full throttle, which will be plenty of time at lower throttle settings on the Cessna. Now I'll have room for foam!

So I'll get the wings finished tonight, I think.

Still waiting for the retracts to arrive, dammit.

Cya
Mark
Old 12-10-2007, 12:22 PM

Guys, I must be thick-header or something but I need some clarification:

I'm ready to glue on the wing tanks. If you look in the manual, they show 2 pieces of 3/4x1/4x1/4 triangle stock glued onto the wing where the tongue from the tip tanks slides in. Problem is, that the tongue part is flush against the center section of the last rib, and the triangle stock on one side prevents it from sliding in all the way. I should only use 1 triangle stock, on the side that goes towards the trailing edge of the wing, right?

The photos show both peices glued on, but I can't see how that will work...

Thanks
Mark
Old 12-10-2007, 12:54 PM

It says somewhere in the manual that the picture is incorrect (maybe in the addendum?)

In any case, leave out the tri stock.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:14 PM

Thanks Mike - the only addendum that was in my manual was one about a screw size being listed incorrectly. I re-read your build thread, and also saw the link about the ail. servo posts, and did that one last night.

I can actually leave the one tri-block on there, and it will provide a little bit of a stronger bond, so I'll leave it.

Another question: Should I sand the glass where it meets the wing? Surprisingly, in your build, you mention doing this only for the stab and not the tips...but maybe you had a reason? (Not questioning you, but politely asking).

Thanks,
Mark

PS. You missed the "crash-fest" yesterday. I think your dad did, too, as I didn't see him out there. It was gusty - 15-25 - and we had a combat meet the day before, so the weekend-warriors were out in force...and they insisted on flying in bad conditions. I personally witnessed 3 go in in less than one hour...and then my buddy called me after I left to tell me about a 33% Extra that went home in a couple of garbage bags! I didn't fly my Zero yesterday but I got some stick time on other's planes instead - most were afraid to land, so I volunteered. I personally like rough air with the right plane...not a heavy warbird. I flew a friend's Super Kaos (maidened an "oldie") and it flew BEAUTIFULLY. What a great plane it was and still is! You would never know there was any wind, except for the 2mph landings!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:18 PM

There was a crash-fest and my dad wasn't there???

Usually he IS the crash-fest!

PS, I prabably just didn't mention sanding the FG tips
Old 12-10-2007, 02:38 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Mark,
I hope i'm not butting in but you mentioned sanding the stab. There is no need to sand it because there are blind nuts already installed in the stab and coresponding holes in the fuse so you can just bolt the stab on without gluing. I would suggest that you insert a screw and tighten it up before trying to install the stab. The nut is not well seated and will be pushed loose with just a little pressure. It is then very difficult to get the nut back in place. Ask me how I know.
Chris
Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 AM

Gotta hate blind nuts!

Did you glue anyway? I think I will just to be safe...

I did manage to glue on one of the wing tips last night - it seems that there's a hair of negative incidence to them? Or is it that the nacelles have a bit of positive? I'm sure it's fine, I made sure that there's a perfect transition from wing to wing-tip so I'm sure it's OK. I would have done the other one, too, but I pulled the wrong thread, and it was late, so I didn't feel like pulling new thread and cables through...I'll get it today after work, and get the wing done for sure.

I did get the engine mounts installed, too...so I'm not too far from being "done" with the wings. What a magical transformation when you get the tip tank on!

Mark
Old 12-11-2007, 10:18 AM

Mark,
Nope, I didn't glue because I would like to replace the stab instead of the stab and fuselage in case of an accident which happens to me more often than not.
The negative incidence you refer to is referred to as washout. It is there to keep the outboard of the wing and aileron flying after the inboard wing stalls out thus preventing tip stalls.
Chris
Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 AM

Hi Chris,
Interesting, I figured there would be a bit of washout in the in wing itself, but your explanation seems to work

Cya
Mark
Old 12-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Mark,
The washout is in the wing. That is what makes the tanks look like they have negative incidence.
Chris
Old 12-12-2007, 01:42 PM

Ahhhhhh! I see.
(Not able to look at the plane - I'm at work.)

How long have you been flying yours? What motors did you go with? Oh, for everyone - where did you all put your switches, charging jacks, air filler, etc?

I saw someone cut out the hatch and put a panel behind it - that looks really great.

Cya
Mark
Old 12-12-2007, 06:57 PM

I haven't finished mine yet. I am at the point of attaching the wing to the fuselage. There is so much junk in there I don't know if it will fit. I cut out the front hatch and installed the switches there. I will try to post some pics. The engines are 4 stroke magnum 70's mounted inverted.
Pic #1
Forward hatch with switches and charge ports for receiver, lights and glow plugs and air fill and guage and (out ot view) swithces for each glow plug.
Pic #2
The guts include valves for retract and brakes, radio control switch for lights, receiver and servos. The brake servo is 'Y'ed off the elevator servo and acts only on down elevetor. The air source for the brakes is tapped off the extended retract air source
Pic #3
The nose wheel
Pic #4
An Engine.
Pic #5
Top of wing showing Twin Sync stuffed in hole with tie bolt. Putting it there decreases # of wires to connect when installing wing.
Pic #6
Retracts.
Pic #7
BVM brakes.
Pic #8
Bottom of engine compartment showing Fuel filler.

Chris
PS I don't know what happened to the pics. I may have to post them in another post.
chw
Old 12-12-2007, 07:09 PM

Pics 1 thru 4
More to come
chw
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92661.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	824319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32147.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	824320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42926.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	824321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo34983.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	824322  
Old 12-12-2007, 07:13 PM

Pics 5 thru 8.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59975.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	824325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39334.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	824326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci97918.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	824327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf95533.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	824328  
Old 12-12-2007, 07:45 PM

Chris - the pictures are GREAT! Thanks.
It looks like a "lot", eh?

I haven't yet mounted my OS 55AX's yet...really really comtemplating swapping them out for some 4 strokers. I have an OS70 FSII (Just broken in) on my Nitro Planes Zero - mounted inverted, and I have one on my Staudacher - side mounted - that's got about 2.5 gallons through it.

Neither of them have ever let me down in flight. I actually flew the Zero on the second tank! I am going to setup on board glow the way I always have: micro switch from Radio shack, and a wood tiller-arm on the throttle-servo's control horn that will push the switch from about 1/4 to idle to power the glows.

So anyway, now that I see you're dropping in some 70's, I'm once again having this internal fight: 2-stroke or 4 stroke?

Both wings tips are on now - Wow! Getting really excited.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.