Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

transmitter for multi engine novice

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

transmitter for multi engine novice

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:53 AM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmitter for multi engine novice

OK, The long winter season has set in; I've gotten the urge to try a twin; & now I've got a couple of Saito 40s & a Twinstar (still in the box) waiting for me to get busy. Looking forward a bit, I'm wondering what you multi guys use for a transmitter. The only transmitter I've ever used is a Futaba 6xas. From what I've read, some fellows are getting pretty "trick" with the transmitter controls for throttle set-ups. Am I getting concerned for nothing? Or, should I just stay with the old 6xas & not be worried? .................... George K.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:20 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: transmitter for multi engine novice

Geo,
Where many of the newer radios have more options and functions,,
just stay with the old 6XAs& not be worried .................................
Also, with the 6XAs you can put ailerons, elevators AND rudder on one rate switch...
Plus the 6XAs give you EXPO and six model memory.. Basically,, a good all around
radio with enough functions to operate most any sport plane or twin...

Old 12-15-2006, 07:26 AM
Rickles56

I agree with Robby above. Transmitters are expensive and unless you are in the market for a new radio, you probably don't need to change. I had a 6XA and it did a LOT!. I got a 9C a couple of years ago and that opened up a bunch of possibilties for more custom programming, like being able to flip a switch and have control of just one of the engines for testing, setup, etc. FLip it to the middle and both were back online, flip it up and you had the other engine alone to work with. The even more expensive, elaborate radios such as the Futaba 12MZ and 14MZ have specific programming for up to 4 engines in a multi engine plane setup. I was fortunate enough to be able to get my hands on a 14MZ and it will operate my B17's (I have two) 4 engines with many features like the ones I talked about in the 9C above. Back to reality, your radio should handle twin engines without any problems. You should even be able to find a way to do the things the 9C did with a little creative thinking.
One more note on this topic... if you are married, this might be a good excuse to use and talk the wife into thinking you need a new transmitter for the twin!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Multimaniac

Hi mtntopgeo,

Well, as far as I can tell you, you can even fly multis by using a simple four channel radio... the only thing is to control all engines on one channel (or if you have the technical possibility to do so, on more channels but all controlled by ONE stick). Either all run or all can be killed by a single stick / switch movement. This can do really every radio...

Maybe my philosophy of flying multis does not fit with the experience of other people in the forum, but I can only recommend it due to my own experience. A good summary including some more very useful tips of the engine/model layout you can read on the follwing topic, take a closen look especially to post N° 20!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4526952/tm.htm

regards

Chris
Old 12-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Rickles56

Chris, perhaps my post was misleading. When I talk about using multiple channels to control multi engine aircraft, I assume that everyone knows that one stick is involved and always one switch is the shutdown switch. By adjusting I meant using the trim(s) on the radio. I will not even adjust the needles with more than one engine running. I learned my lesson the hard way with that. You never reach over a running engine to restart or adjust something on another engine when one is running. I always start the engines from the right side and work left. If one stalls, I kill them all, and start over on the right side again. Adjustments to the needles are the same, only the engine being adjusted is running and any one time. With some of the newer computer radios and even some of the older ones, you are able to set up serperate trims for each engine in the radio, flipping a switch allows you to adjust that trim, one engine at a time and this is what I was trying to say in my previsous post. Again, One stick obviously always controls all the throttles during flight or during adjustments and one switch will kill all engines at anytime. You really need it that way for safety. Being able to adjust seperate trims is a very nice feature if you are trying to get all the engines synch'ed. The ramp up needs to be be as close as possible with each engine as well and sometimes using one channel with 4 servos on it just will not allow much adjustment except at the engines themselves. Hope that clears it up.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Multimaniac

Rickles56, I really understood you wrong! I totally agree with the way you adjust, control and handle your engines! The only thing I do different is that I in general rely on the outward angle of the engines and fly with them everything than siyncronised... but you are right, I somethimes use a similar adjustment method too!

regards

Chris
Old 12-16-2006, 12:04 AM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like my first twin project just got a few hundred $$$$ less expensive than I'd planned! ........ George K.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:41 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

The twinstar could easily be handled with a 4 channel radio since it doesn't have flaps or retracts. More capable radios give you more programming and operational options.

The Saito 40s will be a great match, and the sound of twin 4 strokes is unbelieveable! I'v only got a brace of .26's on mine and its okay, especially if you use energy management (trade altitude for airspeed, and vice versa.) Wanting more, I installed a 3rd engine in the nose...now it is awesome!!!

Old 12-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Rickles56

That's cool Wayne! I was going to convert a .15 sized trainer I have had for years in to a twin with a couple of the (3) OS .30's I have left from one of my smaller B17's. I even considered the third engine in the nose...

Good decision George!
Old 12-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah, it I had to do it over again, I'd put the 40 Fourstrokes in..
Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 AM
bhdutch

I just got the new Cox Pica Dualist twin for Christmas and I am considering engines. It calls for 2 40 size two strokes but I've run 4 strokes since the 1990's. My friend always used 60 two strokes on the Dualists he flew and it was a rocket! I've never had a twin cylinder 4 stroke so here is my plan.... I am considering twin SAito 60T's. I will go with standard gear instead of retracts because of the engine weight (trade off I hope). But am wondering if I should go with the 90T or 100T? The 100 is shorter (base to prop) and either one would only cost me 2-3 oz in weight each over the 60T. But the 60T's should fly this plane just fine. My concern is that the 90T or 100T will be just too much engine for the dualist. I've flown GP's Super Sportster 40's converted to twins in the past. Any thoughts here and am I missing anything obvious by going to twin cylinders in this model? I do know this will probably be the sweetest sounding twin engine ever!
THanks,
ed