Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

ASM C-130

Old 05-27-2009, 08:15 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASM C-130

I tried calling you alsono answer, Iwould like the same info.
Chris 870 918 4113

ORIGINAL: mwhar760

bob i tried to call you i am wondering what electric motors/ect yor went with i am planning to go electric on mine!!!! should i do it or leave it in the box???? wanting to go electric for reliability on the power aspect. what props/batt/esc/ect did you wind up with any info would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 12:14 AM

Bob,
Great flight... please take the time and tell us all about it. Iknow Iam dieign to hear about someone who has done this thing electric and yours looks like it flys well. Please share all your hard work.
Bob
Old 05-28-2009, 04:23 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob and I (Marvin) went to JOE NALL what an amazing show that is,we flew the C-130 did the 100th Flight, now it has 103 flights!!!!!, i will let Bob your trying to get in contact with him bot the power set up he has
Old 06-27-2009, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It has been a while since I checked in. So I thought I would see what I have been missing as well as share what I have done to the C-130 so far.
I am not a fan of air systems. [ I made the 136th landing on my B-25 without out the gear down. Had 2 T's fail and lost all air after raising the gear after takeoff. So now (if I can) I try to design servos into the landing gear systems] So here is a look at the air to servo conversion I did on the C-130 nose wheel.
http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/c...0-retract.html

(OT) And here is the link for the B-25 complete air to servo conversion: http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/b...ss-retract.wmv
Old 06-27-2009, 04:17 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Excellent ! Nice Job !!
Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 PM

Thanks Juan
I am always willing to share my efforts.

Any info on getting the main gear doors to work with the retracts? I can't seam to figure out how to set them up.
Pictures of a working system would be great.

I may design my own setup using 2 small servos to operate the doors.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:26 AM

Testfly,

Nice work on the C-130 nose gear.

I have had problems and so far not much luck with air retracts on my first attempt, (a TP 60 size P-51 with robarts). It has been a learning experiance and one I sure don't want to learn on my C-130 (that Juan graciousely sold me) [spelling?].

I do not see myself getting confortable with air retracts (other than spring down versions) as my birds get more and more expensive. I'm giving a set of Lado's a try on a H9 P-40 but even if they prove worthwhile, Doug at Lado only offers a limited selection presently.

I have had good performance and am very confident with servo powered retracts. I may do as you did and start redesigning my setups this way.

No Juan, I have not started on the C-130 yet. Everyone I know in the RC world down here is getting antzy about me flying it soon.

Denny
Old 06-30-2009, 09:23 PM

Well Guys,

Long story short here...

I thought I had come up with a nice main gear working door design after spending 6 hrs on it at the field.
(I sometimes work at the field as I am setup to do so with a 8.5 X 20 rolling hanger)

When I returned home and showed my friend "Wayne" the design. His comment was, "Why not uses a wire and a straw to open the door
and do away with the servo?" Well that would not work. But, he was on the right track. After explaining to him why the wire idea would
not work and about the need for the door to open enough clear the wheel as it came up. I seen how his idea would work with a little bit of R&D. (Wayne has never flown a model and again here is a case when someone who has no clue about what your doing comes up with a great idea.)

What I did was really simple and I expect that it will work without any trouble.
I will explain it here and then you can watch the video listed below.

1) I replaced the CA hindges with the flat true hinges. These are the old flat hindges about 1/2" wide with a wire at the pivot point.
2) I mounted a horn on each door at the front end. A spring will hook to each horn to close the door.
3) On the inner door I added 2) 1" long pcs of 1/4" plywood where the axle block hits the door. I also added a 1/4" balsawood stop on the spring end of the door opening. The door stops closing when it hits the balsawood stop.
4) On the outter door I cut a 1/2" wide notch in the center and added a 1/2" wide pc of 1/4" plywood that runs from top to bottom.
5) I designed a arm that mounts to the bottom side of the leafspring mount. This arm is the key to opening and closing the outter door.

You won't believe how simple and how well this design works.

See The Video Here:
http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/c...oor-slides.wmv

If you watch the video, I would like to know what you think.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:37 PM

Well whatever you do that works, I will probably duplicate it if it is that simple and maybe have some input as well. I just bought a used "Rolling Hanger" from work in the form of a 6x12 alum trailer. I still need to set it up and make a few cosmedic repairs but it will serve the purpose.

Can't wait to see your vid on the doors.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 PM

Hi Guys,
here my version of geardoor function (not flight tested). Maybe it is an idea for anyone of you. - Hope my links will work.
Have a nice day
Hannes

Picture 1: http://www.deutec.at/modellflug/mode...rc_hptf-4m.jpg
Picture 2: http://www.deutec.at/modellflug/mode...gklappe-4m.jpg
Video: http://81.217.118.151/modell-video/Herc_Bugkl_1.wmv
Old 07-01-2009, 02:42 PM

Here is the video showing the simple main gear door setup I am using on the ASM C-130.

You won't believe how simple it is to setup.

When I do the other side I will take photos of the steps and post them as well as note how long from start to finish it took.

My guess is it will take me less than an hour to do the other side.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: testfly

Well Guys,

Long story short here...

I thought I had come up with a nice main gear working door design after spending 6 hrs on it at the field.
(I sometimes work at the field as I am setup to do so with a 8.5 X 20 rolling hanger)

When I returned home and showed my friend ''Wayne'' the design. His comment was, ''Why not uses a wire and a straw to open the door
and do away with the servo?'' Well that would not work. But, he was on the right track. After explaining to him why the wire idea would
not work and about the need for the door to open enough clear the wheel as it came up. I seen how his idea would work with a little bit of R&D. (Wayne has never flown a model and again here is a case when someone who has no clue about what your doing comes up with a great idea.)

What I did was really simple and I expect that it will work without any trouble.
I will explain it here and then you can watch the video listed below.

1) I replaced the CA hindges with the flat true hinges. These are the old flat hindges about 1/2'' wide with a wire at the pivot point.
2) I mounted a horn on each door at the front end. A spring will hook to each horn to close the door.
3) On the inner door I added 2) 1'' long pcs of 1/4'' plywood where the axle block hits the door. I also added a 1/4'' balsawood stop on the spring end of the door opening. The door stops closing when it hits the balsawood stop.
4) On the outter door I cut a 1/2'' wide notch in the center and added a 1/2'' wide pc of 1/4'' plywood that runs from top to bottom.
5) I designed a arm that mounts to the bottom side of the leafspring mount. This arm is the key to opening and closing the outter door.

You won't believe how simple and how well this design works.

See The Video Here:

If you watch the video, I would like to know what you think.

Nice Job, testfly......... simple and effective.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: djsdog

Well whatever you do that works, I will probably duplicate it if it is that simple and maybe have some input as well. I just bought a used ''Rolling Hanger'' from work in the form of a 6x12 alum trailer. I still need to set it up and make a few cosmedic repairs but it will serve the purpose.

Can't wait to see your vid on the doors.

Denny,

You better get to work on that airplane. Your new trailer should take second place on the list !! ........ I'm anxious to see that in the air ! Please be sure to get some video .....
Old 07-03-2009, 02:49 AM

LOL Juan...

His rolling hanger should be at the top of the list.
Mine was and as a result I can now pull to the field and work on new models or fly.
In many cases I do both.

Here are a few images of my rolling hanger that a buddy and I spent 50 days (and late nights) getting ready for the first pull to the field.

You can get the full story on the rolling hanger at: http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/trailer/8-5X20.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56238.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1228964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97530.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1228965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19921.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1228966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99622.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1228967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89585.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1228968  
Old 07-03-2009, 10:38 PM

I have done the other side and took pictures of every step.

ASM C-130 main gear retract doors made simple
http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/c...30-slides.html

Have Fun!

Old 07-04-2009, 03:38 PM

Testfly,
Wow that door mech is great, I'll be doing that job soon and your instructions are great. The rolling hanger lokks great as well, mine won't be quite so elaborate but will be set up similar. I've got to ask, whats up with the sewing machine? My wife is into that with a couple of $5000 embroidery sewing machines.

Denny
Old 07-04-2009, 03:52 PM

Hi Denny,

I sew paraplane parachutes for my paraplane design. (20 years this year and still having a lot of fun with them.
www.seabreezeparachutes.com

You could say I have way to many hobbies!

But, With an awesome wife life is good here.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:10 AM
My Feedback: (126)

where can I get replacement nacel's want to mount engine's difererantly than they are now ?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:00 PM

Hi. Id like to introduce myself. im JERRY and new on rc universe. I have two ASM C-130s. In fact i have three videos posted
under JERRY'S ASM RC C130. They show me flying the airplane.I also got the airplane pulished in the July 2009 AMA magizine
in the focal point. im in the process of putting together the second C-130 now.
The answer to the question about replacement is yes you can buy the parts you needed. you can email [email protected]
and request the prices from them.I just bought replacement nacellces for second c-130. i made some cutting mistakes on the
nacelles . im also working the nose gear doors and coming up with ideas to operate the doors correctly.
For you glow engine guys i can up with a onboard header fuel system that works well. makes for longer flights without refueling.
so like to hear other ideas from other Herk flyers. Almost forgot. The videos are on youtube.

Thanks. Jerry
Old 07-17-2009, 06:22 PM

Hi Jerry, glad to have you aboard!

OK I'll bite, why 2 C-130's?
One electric and one glow?
One in the Coast Gaurd colors and one in the Air Force colors?
You have a fixation for C-130's?
Just to make smart as$@# like me ask?
???????
Old 07-17-2009, 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: fordtech09

Almost forgot. The videos are on youtube.

Thanks. Jerry
Jerry,

How about posting a link to your videos ??
Old 07-18-2009, 11:41 PM

Hi Juan,
My videos are posted on YOUTUBE under Jerry's ASM RC C-130. I have three videos of the same airplane.
i have two videos when the airplane was in Coast Guard colors and the other is in USAF colors. I had crashed the airplane
after i made the first two videos, then i rebuilt it and painted it in the USAF colors.
To answer djsdog's question about why im so into the C-130s is that im a retired USAF AIRCRAFT MAINTENCE TECHNICAN.
I spent 20yrs on the C-130s,C-141s and i finished my career as a Flying Crew Chief on the C-5 galaxy. So its kinda in my
blood. Right now i have two ASM C-130s ,a Qualityglass C-130 and a GWS Cargotrans C-130. I also have SKIP MAST's
C-130 Plans and a copy of the MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS article dated DEC 1981. I Also have a set of plans from FLYING MODEL
MAGAZINE of the DICK SARPOLUS C-130 from the same time the SKIP MAST C-130 came out.
Yes you might say i just loved that airplane. In fact i painted the airplane to look just like the real one. i was stationed at Pope AFB,
NC and actually work on C-130 70-1270 as a crew chief.

JERRY.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Jerry,

A good freind of mine from work flew C-130's in the Air Force (along with Helicopters). He was in for 28 years and had a choice between C-130's or F4 Phantoms. His wife hated "Fighter Pukes" so he went with the C-130.

I really can't wait to get mine in the air but work is busy and I already had three planes on the work bench to finish. A B-25, a 70" biplane and a Hunter Hawk with a .91 YS (should fly around 125 to 130 MPH.

Your bird looks great, I'd like to paint mine up in the Air Force sceme (for my co-worker) but I'm not sure I could pull it off.

Denny
Old 07-19-2009, 07:59 PM

I just wanted to say hello, I am new to this forum. I am a beginner, flying only my second A/C. I am a A/C electrician on the real things, and have been doing flying on my spare time. I have also been flying alot of R/C flight simulators. But with all that experience, my wife thought it would be cool to buy me a C-130 since I have worked on them so much. I didnt realize how much it takes to build one of these, nor how much detail goes into them.

I finally got the radio and servo's installed and ran a surface check. But I need some help from someone. First of all, I bought a Airtronics RD8000 72MHz radio. Only cause they were alot cheaper than a 2.4 G digital. When I run the controls everything is as smooth as can be. Just the stick is alittle too touchy. How do I decrease the sensitivity of the stick on the radio ? Also, I have been looking at going all electric, does anyone have some good suggestions for a motor thats not going to break my bank. I live on a military budget. Also I need to know how people ran the antenna wire. I know the real thing has a HF antenna that goes from behind the nose section to the tail and back down. Has anyone done this to thiers ? And finally, I believe the throw is too far. Can someone also help me with setting the throws ? I dont want to get her up in the air and make it into a huge crater maker. Thank You in advance. And I look forward to anyones help or suggestions.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:52 PM

Rockin,

Q - When I run the controls everything is as smooth as can be. Just the stick is alittle too touchy. How do I decrease the sensitivity of the stick on the radio?
A - I am not familiar with Airtronocs but most computer radios have exponential in their setup which talor the response rate of the controls compaired to the stick inputs. In other words it will desensitize the controls for beginers or even radical flying planes.

Q - I have been looking at going all electric, does anyone have some good suggestions for a motor thats not going to break my bank. I live on a military budget.
Cant help much here I fly glow mostly.

Q - I need to know how people ran the antenna wire. I know the real thing has a HF antenna that goes from behind the nose section to the tail and back down. Has anyone done this to thiers ?
A - Run the wire just like the real ones if you want just don't double the wire back on itself and you should be fine. Make it as straight s you can and keep it away from any metal control rods if you can.

Q - I believe the throw is too far. Can someone also help me with setting the throws ?
A - There are a couple ways to reduce the servo throws, one is mechanical by moving the control rods (or cables) in on the servo arms (towards the center of the servo arm) and out on control serface. This also increases the power the servos have. The second way is in the radio setup under travel adjustment (if you have a computer radio).

I hope this helps some.

Denny

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.