Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

ASM C-130

Old 07-26-2010, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASM C-130

ORIGINAL: fordtech09

Well Guys,
Got some sad news lost ship #3. Take off was prefect and made several fly-bys making a base leg turn to final to land and all hell
broke loose. nice normal turn and went into a flat spin and hit hard flat. Post crash inspection found left aileron servo stripped and it appears my left connector for #1 and #2 engines that runs the speed control came loose. the other three connectors had the safety
ties were still attached. its appears i forgot to put the safety tie on that connector. totaled it out it just exploded upon impact.
when i tried to recover i applied full power and leveled it out but is was to late. With the left wing engines out it just spun.
so if i build another one been thinking how to mix the engines and split them so two engines can't stop on one side if a connector
comes loose.
Also got a email from Mike Greenshields and No due out date for the C-130s and they have been kicking the idea around about
coming out with a fiberglass for the c-130.
Well i do have A Quality Fiberglass C-130 might just go ahead and build that one. That one will have 0S46AXs.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

I am very sorry to hear what happened!! That was a beautiful C-130, it is such a shame. When I read your post I didn't want to believe it. I am so Bummed!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about using this thread to organize fans of the C-130 to show Hobby People there is an interest for more C-130's fiberglass or otherwise? I know I would be interested! Can you share the email for Mike Greenshields and post it here? What do you think?
I sure hope you find and build another one. Keep us posted my friend.

Troy,

That is a fine piece of work you did on that push back vehicle! Very creative indeed. I also like the idea for the latch on the top access panel! Keep up the good work.

Best Regards to you both,

Gary
Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Gary,

I have many ideas with so little time to complete them.....

No telling what will be next.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Jerry, sorry to hear of your loss. I was really looking forward to flying our two birds together. I made a test "hop" yesterday and all seems well. I'm still in the proccess of finding the right prop, motor, esc, battery combo. I really like Testfly's battery tray and may try building one myself. I have noticed that my main gear doesn't track straight and I may have to rebuild them rather than try to "straighten." Althought our field is over 500' long, I see a need for some brakes. I really don't want to invest a bunch more $$ for actual braking wheels but I am working on a simpler way for holding on takeoff and slowing down on landing.

Don
Old 07-26-2010, 06:31 PM

Hi, Jerry this c130 bob, sorry about your wonderfull bird. It really sucks doesn't it. I've been keeping tabs on you guys on what ya been doing. I've have 170 flights on my bird now and everything is fine, she is over three years old now. I know you place a matchbox on yours for your Esc's which I thouht you shouldn't have done because the motors don't have to be sink. You should have went to, two channels for throttle like I did and two motors will not quit on the same wing.I have either outside together or inners together. Well I'm real sorry, we had it made C130 on West Coast and C130 on East Coast. If any one has a spare nose and canope I sure would like to buy it. I'm trying to do something with them. Thanks bob
Old 07-26-2010, 09:05 PM

Thanks Bob for the kind words but i really want to thank you and Marvin. You guys inspired me to build one and ive been following your guys lead.But there is good in all this ive meet alot of good people that are really amazed with the c-130. i got a email from
a fellow USAF Crew Chief that was a Dedicated Crew Chief on the C-130 70-1270 that i modeled mine after. he wanted if i could bring my c-130 to his retirement ceremony but its in North Carolina and im in California. To far for me to go lol.
Well here's what im going to do im going to cut the rudder off and send it to him as a momento of his time on the c-130. I already thought about mounting it on a plaque and putting it on display.
I sent a email to Mike Greenshields to see if i can get another one. already been looking.
There are couple of guiys here on the West Coast that do have C-130s, Gary, Cary AND Don. we need to get them up and flying.

Thanks Jerry.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 PM

Well Guys cleaning off my bench and dusted off my Quality Fiberglass C-130 that i had stored. Trying to find a ASM C-130 is like
finding a needle in a hay stack. I think we should change this forum to C-130 FANS. Got some ideas about adding the ASM C-130 retracts to the QC C-130. Also i have the Skip Mast C-130 plans that shows the ramp and door set up. my brain is in over drive lol.
I have some OS 46AXs that im thinking about putting on this c-130. there is one on youtube that had the same paint scheme as my
c-130 that dropped troops out the ramp but they never had a ground camera loved to see that. well when i get set i start uploading pics. glad i didnt put my nav lights on the last one. well there going on this one .

Jerry.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:21 PM

Has anyone had a trim problem with the initial flights?
I had to put full down trim in the radio and hold some additional stick to get the plane flying level. Balance was dead on to the front limit. It was quite unnerving landing pushing down stick and easing off some down to flair.
The plane "landed" and suffered only minor strucural and cosmetic damages.
I will be flying it this Sat at our local electric fly event.
Has anyone had similar flight and were you able to correct it for subsequent flights?

I have 16 estes A10-PT rockets just dying to be mounted to the ship. One on each side to start and work up from there!

Photo: Pat Rose
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42219.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1494392  
Old 09-04-2010, 12:25 AM

Hi Don,
Yep i had the same problem during my maiden flight but i only put two clicks down trim and one click right trim for level flight.
Also my CG was just forward of the main spar. i found with the airplane alittle nose heavy it flys a whole lot better. During my approaches i fly long and drop the nose to keep up the airspeed up and i drop the throttlles just before touchdown and flair it in.
Got some good news hopefully in the next couple of weeks ill have another ASM C-130. Got a lead on one thats in Las Vegas and its the last one that HOBBY PEOPLE has. Working on getting it here so im excited.

Jerry.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:36 PM

I'm glad to hear you found another one. They seem to be getting more scarce due to attrition. I flew again today and with the down trim adjusted in, it flew great. I can see where this model has corkscrewed in on some of the others. The higher wing loading just means it takes a bit more speed.

It sure is a show stopper. Everyone stopped what they were doing to see it fly. It only made two flights due to the time it took to recharge and the turnout for the event but both landings were greasers. I even managed to pull off a barrel roll! There were a lot of photographers there so I hope to have some pics to post and video on U-tube soon.

Thanks again for everyone's info and help. It sure makes the experience much more enjoyable when the plane is set up with the mods that others have done.

Don
Old 09-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Hey Don,
Good to hear about the flights. just keep up the airspeed while flying and no steep banking.
getting everything together now so when i get the new one i can power build it.
Yep their a show stopper i had mine in three events and had the same reaction. maybe when i get it built we can flying them at the IMAA Event next year at Castle.

Jerry.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:05 PM

Jerry, I look forward to flying with you. Are you going with electrics again? Will you be able to recycle most of the hardware? From your previous post, it sounded like you had one ESC for two motors. Is that why both motors quit on one side? I have one ESC in each nacelle with the BEC's disabled and one battery for each motor. Hopefully it will keep from having a catastrophic failure on multiple motors.

I can see already that stronger mains will have to be done. Even with as smooth a landing as any, the leaf spring twisted a bit. I saw where someone milled aluminum brackets to replace the leaf. I'll have to go back through some of the old posts.

Let me know when you have your new one back in the air. Maybe we can meet somewhere in the middle and fly. Fresno...Madera?

Don
Old 09-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Ok, I havent given up on the plane. I started to mount the new nacelles for a fit check. Then I started to realize the lexan coating was broken in alot of places. So I figured this would be the perfect time to strip it all down and paint her like I want. Once I got all the lexan removed and the decals, I got stuck. I have white paint that is peeling all over the plane.

So now I need to turn to the experts on this. Do I just spray it with primer over the paint, or will using laquer thinner remove it without damaging the wood ? Then im going to assume I need to replace the lexan sheet to help protect and reenforce it. So should I put that on first then paint it ? Anyone who has a good plan of attack, Im fully open to suggestions.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:51 PM

Hey Cary,
Check page 15 of this post there's picture of my airplane stripped. just kinda confused of how you stripped yours.
On mine i just peeled off the red stickers by hand and i used a rag with lacquer thinner to get the red residue off the fuselage and wings. i didn't have to recover the wings so i just sprayed them and the fuselage with Rust-Oleum Automobile Primer. The gray color
matches the full size airplane . If you let the lacguer thinner soak on the fuselage it will eat thru the plastic coating and you don't want
that. if so use some fine sandpaper and blend in the coating smooth then paint over it with primer for paint. For the wings if you stripped off the monocote film then you need to apply new covering then apply paint over top of that. i did tthat to my first airplane due
to the holes that were under the red strickers. the holes were from pins they used to get the air bubbles out from under the film.

Jerry.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:12 AM

yes I ended up stripping all the monocote off. it was ripped. so then it doesnt matter what color im going to get cause its all going to get painted over it.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: rockinmarine

yes I ended up stripping all the monocote off. it was ripped. so then it doesnt matter what color im going to get cause its all going to get painted over it.
I would recommend using a light color, if not white, as it doesn't take as much paint to cover. I didn't use any primer on mine. I used a wax and grease remover to get the red stuff off and then buffed with a scuff pad and some alcohol to prep for paint.

I have a few new pics to share and a You-Tube video will be out soon.

DC

Name:	Zx70950.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1496450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52868.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1496451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43885.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	1496452  
Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 PM

Here is the YouTube video of my Fat Albert C-130
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6KKzmEYnLw]RC Blue Angel Fat Albert[/link]

Don
Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 AM

Hi Don, c130bob here. I saw your video and great job flying and paint job. Like Jerry said keep up the air speed and wide turns just like the real ones and you will not have any problems. Marvin and I started a new forum on RCU as we are building a new c130 asm to almost scale. I retired my frist c130 with 170 flights on her. Well any way GREAT JOB!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 AM

I loved the video. Very cool.

Whats the name of the new forum ?
Old 09-07-2010, 12:03 PM

I found the new forum here. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9951082/tm.htm

DC
Old 09-10-2010, 01:31 AM

Here is a video of the pushback truck getting a workout at the MCRC flying field.
http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/p...pbt-9-8-10.wmv

I have also added a onboard air compressor to top off the retract system before a flight.
http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/p...ruck/view.html

Name:	Zx70486.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1498261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22629.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1498262  
Old 09-14-2010, 08:53 PM

No Air Mains Ideas........

Guys,
I am wanting to come up with a main gear system that will not use air to move the main gear on the C-130.
I have been really busy on other projects. But, I can see maybe some R&D time coming my way and I thought
I would put the word out about my next project.

I would like to keep the same type system and mount. But do away with the air as I have on all of my other models.
I can tell you, It is nice not to worry about an air system problem.

And Yes even after adding air to the pushback truck I still want to do away with it if I can.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:34 PM

Hey Troy,
Check this Youtube video. C-130 Landing Gear System Prototype. Also there are some pictures of a C-130 that crashed in Iraq and it
shows a good shot of the main gear. On the full size airplane the main gears use 2 jackscrews one mounted behind each strut. There
is a Torque tube mounted between the struts at the bottom to keep the struts inline. the struts ride on track shoes that are mounted
on the fuselage. kinda brings back memories because i did fix alot of them when they came back gears slow to extend. I had to rerigg
the track shoes.
There are different set ups that are out there for he C-130 model. Skip Mast design uses mechincal retracts with a robart air cylinder.
You can look at Palmer C-130 forums and they use the same design in their airplanes. By far the ASM Retracts are as close to
the real ones in operation and with your brackets the main gear door open and close just like the real ones.
On my last airplane i used the robart large air tank and air valve. i ran the gear about 10 times before the air ran out.

Jerry.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:49 PM

Jerry,
I don't see the video link.

DC
Old 09-15-2010, 05:09 PM

By the way, you might be interested in my little improvement. I got tired of straightening out the wheels after every flight so I just took a 1/2" wide 1/8" aluminum and drilled a hole for the axles. The wheels are still able to pivot but they don't move up and down independently. Not really a big sacrifice considering it cured the problem of torqued wheels.

DC

Name:	Ge96948.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1501502  
Old 09-17-2010, 07:29 PM

Well Guys just got the very last ASM C-130 Hobby People had in stock. This is it no more available. Found a number 52 inside on the
tube for the wings who knows what the number means. Getting everything together to start building.
Hey DC on the gears I'm using the aluminun brackets that TESTFLY designed. check back in this forum there are some pictures.
My goal to to get the C-130 ready for next years IMAA event at Castle. So Don keep your C-130 safe and if I get mine built in time both of us can fly together at Castle.
Also Gary needs to get his done. I want to make the Chino Events.

Jerry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.