Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

ASM C-130

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 06:13 PM
UK Warbird Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASM C-130

Ok guys Ok... For the price is this a not so bad Kit though ?....I mean are there not ways of strengthening the body without adding too much weight? I always intended to re-spray mine in an all over grey as most of the UK C-130 are now and maybe add a Re-fueling probe and a few little extras.

One thing I have thought about since reading all your comments is to maybe give the fuz an all over sanding get rid of any moulding seems and then respray it.....can you get to the inside of the Fuz? If not maybe cut a hole in the back and maybe Glass the inside with some reinforcing that might stop the flexing..... shouldn't add too much weight if you use the resin sparingly....

What do you think?....Just that there isn't another C-130 that is easy to get hold of in the UK so this is maybe my only option unless I want to be stung with inport duty on a $300 Kit...

I did like the look of the Quality Fibreglass one though and have asked how much to ship to the uk?[link=http://www.qualityfiberglass.net/]Quality Fibreglass[/link]

Anyway pick mine up on Thursday...so I hope its at least worth a look or it will be going straight onto Ebay !

Cheer guys,
Wayne

Old 03-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Mr DJ

I picked my up Friday—not impressed at all—flimsy plastic—did I say flimsily? Anyways, I have it—may as well get some pleasure out of it. I will be dropping in OS .40 4-strokes—I measured the cowling area, the head will protrude maybe 5 to 10mm—no big deal. Gonna give APC’s 9x6 4-blade a try and MA’s 9x7 3-blade and of course a 2-blade. Will post a photo or two—not right away—have to build my YA F-15 turbine that I’ve had since Jan and haven’t done a thing to it.

Peace

Mr DJ
Old 03-12-2007, 07:11 PM
jersue
My Feedback: (40)

I don't believe there is any problem with the fuselage flexing and I don't believe there is any problem with the PVC fuselage in normal flying. I believe the problem will be when we make the less than normal landing (some call it a hard landing) where there is abnormal stress which will probabaly cause some cracks in the skin. Minor cracks can probably be repaired but major damage to the fuselage will probabaly not be repairable. But then we aren't supposed to make hard landings (crashes) ---are we? I do plan to do some strengthing on the inside. Don't know what yet.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:14 PM
jersue

It is kinda neat the way the engines are attached to the wings. Each nacelle includes the engine, fuel tank and servo and is attached to the wing with only one bolt. That makes it easily removeable by just backing out one bolt and unplugging the servo lead. What a novel idea for a multiengine airplane.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Fili

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Keep us posted guys! I still might get one. I've seen other posts and a video of her flying. the guys love her.
Look for the 101 c140 arf thread

http://www.modelengines.com.au/video.html
Old 03-16-2007, 05:22 AM
UK Warbird Guy

Hi Guys,

Well I went and picked mine up today... Ripmax in the UK are distributing them so if anyone is interested your local model shop should be able to order you one.... but be quick as word gets round they may go like hot cakes.

While I was in the shop though 'Stan' from Overlander Batteries was thre and was going on about putting 4 Electric motors in it.... Nearly started a bun fight...

I've decided to put 4 two strokes in mine.. for no other reason than economy SC32's come in at about ÂŁ50 ish and are actually smaller than the SC25 and weighed about the same well without scales the felt the same to me.

Right here are some pics for you all then....

I must admit I do share a few concerns about how thin the fuz is in parts almost paper thin... but I think there might be a solution which when I've sorted it I'll share with you. The quality of the Built up sections like the Fin, wings etc looks very good. The nacelles are ok and don't share the same fate as the fuz in being too flimsey. They are stiff and well put together with strong ply formers on the inside throughout. I did have reservations about the 'Bolt on system but I tried one last night and it feels as though its a very goof fit with no movement at all.

So here you go some Pre assemble pics.
Box was not that big . I have had bigger for smaller models.

The only damage I could see was a tear in the plastic at the tail but this is no prob to fix and strengthen.

NB: The holes for the hinges has been drilled way to big, in fact they flop around and havn't got a centre... You can either fit bigger ones or just pack and re-drill...

Nice big, well packed box of bits... in fact very comprehensive,
with tanks, spinners, wheels, UC, nuts, bolts, closed loop wires ,
cleveses, horns, rods,

Nacelles llok good too strong plastic and well supported inside

Looking down the main fuz towards the tail... All laser cut ribs witha carbon rod running the full length of the fuz to stop it flexing.

They are panel lines too and not seems from the cast. Not that evedent but if they went too deep I guess it would weaken the plastic.

Thats it for now...anyone want any [ics specific let me know...

Wayne
Old 03-16-2007, 08:48 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Wow Great shots, Thanks.
It looks like at least it is a finisheble project.
Much Better than I thought.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Thanks Wayne, I will be building one soon for a friend. To me looks good for the price. We have decided to go brushless for power. Is there a good amount of room in the nacelle for a battery. Or might it be better to put all four in the fuse? What is you feeling on that?
Billy
Old 03-27-2007, 12:37 PM
gman
My Feedback: (1)

Philo,
Received ASM 130 last week. I have a C-160 Transall arf that I have been flying with 2820 AXI's and both are running off the battery packs in the fuse. Two Perfect Balance 3S 4000's. I have had great success with this set up. the motors and speed controllers are running very cool and balanced with this arrangement. Also have more controll over the CG with main battery placement. I built a common buss out of Dean's connector boards to plug the batteries to and then just plug the controllers to the same buss board with Dean's connectors. I mounted the Buss bord to one of the fuse formers to support it where it would be accessable to remove the bats for charging. Simple and works great. The electrics are great. No mess to clean up, no vibration. The outrunner motors and their props sound like turbines. Going to use all the same set up on the 130. Don't get me wrong guys, if you like recips their fine. I fly everything from recips to turbines but feel the electrics are more scale sounding to this aircraft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94951.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	651228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54021.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	651229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61911.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	651230  
Old 03-27-2007, 08:04 PM
randy m
My Feedback: (30)

STARTED ASSBY. ON MY ASM C-130 TONIGHT,I HAVE GOT THE TAILFEATHERS ON ,RUDDER AND ELV.ON AND HINGES GLUED,SERVOS IN AND LINKAGES HOOKED UP.THROWS ARE SET.I AM NOT REAL SURE ABOUT THE PLASTIC FUSE YET AND HOW IT WILL HOLD UP.THE REST OF THE PLANE IS GREAT,EVEN THE HARDWARE!MY ENGINES SHOULD BE HERE WED, GMS 32 2 ST.MASTER AIRSCREW 8-6 3 BLADES.I AM GOING OUT OF TOWN THRUS-SUN SO WILL HIT IT HARD NEXT WEEK.STILL A LOT TO BE DONE. RANDY
Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 PM
UK Warbird Guy

Look slike this could be a good build thread don't forget to post some pics along the way....

To answer your question about putting the batteries in the fus or nacelle, its up to you there is plenty of roonm in the nacelles and putting them there would cut down on the wiring needed from the fus to the wings but puttingthem in the fus will centralise the weight and keep the wings nice and light. Guess its upto you on that one .As I'm going with 4 x 2 SC32's I won't have a choice.

I had an Idea about the fus and how thin and flimsey it seems. I'll try it first but expandable spray foam sparayed on the inside of the fus where it is going to take some hits on the underside may be the answer....if sprayed on the inside and then spread before it sets between the ribs it may offer some stiffness to the plastic.I'll have to try it first but wil let you know....shouldn't add much weight as the foam when set weighs next to nothing.

Keep em comin

Back soon.
Wayne
Old 04-06-2007, 02:08 PM
miamifly
My Feedback: (2)

Wayne-

Are you installing the retracts in your c-130? If you are I'd be very interested to see how they are set up.

Thanks
Evan
Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 PM
schwatd

Hey Guys,

If someone is not going to use their aux underwing fuel tank, I would like to buy them from you. PM me and we'll negotiate. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2007, 06:04 AM
randy m

guys i just completed mine,what a nitemare 42 hrs to complete!!!!!.i will be posting a story in a few days . i have not flown it yet maybe sunday,i am still final tuning engines. gms 32 with ms 8-6 3 blade props.all i can say it better fly great with all the trouble it is to build and poor quality. randy
Old 04-15-2007, 03:31 PM
randy m

ok guys i have completed my asm 130. i used gms 32 2 strokes master airscrew 8-6 3 blades, which i am going to 9-7 3 blades it is turning engines up tp much 13,400 rpm.i will tell you anyone using these engines mounted inverted you will have to use os #3 glow plugs to get them to have a good idle.i flew maiden flight sat 4-14 07.it flew great,but way to fast those 32 s at half thottle was hauling the mail.take off was at about half thottle and climbed out very stable. i had a lot of torue to the left but think all of that can be corrected with rudder trim.was to nervous to do any thing but fly around get it trimmed,retract gear and do one low pass.did not use flaps at all on flight.plane is very stable and loks awesome in the air!!my la nding was hot i had engines timmed up too high but she settled right end for perfect landing . now for my jeers, instructions are a joke very unclear.nothing seems to line up right it takes some work to do anything on this plane.all of the bolts and blind nuts seem to be different threads. they tell you naclles are no. 1,2,3,4, but not where they go . after 2 hrs. of figureing they are pilots seat looking left outboard 1 then inboard left 2 inboard right 3 then 4. no where in manal does it give assby time,it took me 49hrs to complete!!! i do not like the plastic fuse time will tell how long it holds up.the retract system works great. the front gear cover door is a joke i did not even use it.the main gear doors are a real challenge i still have not got mine right yet but they open and close,can not see gap at 100 foot in air anyway.i just finished detail work today. cut cocpit windows ouy put glass in painted emerald green,outlined doors,hatches withtape. i would rate the plane on ease of assby a 4. quality 6, looks 9,flying 8. you can see picture at www.trentonrcflyers.com.there may be a video on by now fellow club member taped flight. well thats my scoop on the asm130. randy
Old 04-15-2007, 04:02 PM
jersue

Congrtaulations "randy m". I am encouraged----my Herk is a few days away from being ready. I spent six days just building the wings. I am going with fixed landing gear. I also am using GMS 32's but have mounted them sideways, rather than upside down which was not an easy project, but I refuse to mount two stroke glows upside down on multi engine's. I bought master airscrew 9-7 three balde props as I suspected 8-6s would turn too fast. You confirmed my suspicion. Engines on real airplanes are numbered with #1 on the left going across to #4 outboard on the right, so at least I had that right at the start. Please continue your posts as you get more flights under your belt. It is most helpful to the rest of us. Thanks. Jerry
Old 04-15-2007, 04:21 PM
jersue

Randy, A couple of questions. Did you have move anything around, or add weight, to get the CG right? Did you use the recommended throttle set up with the inboards on the stick and the outboards on another control, and if so, how did it work? Thanks, Jerry
Old 04-15-2007, 05:12 PM
randy m

I HAVE FLOWN b-17 and b-25 all with my throttles just by y them in one with out any promblems. i put everything all in where they said and only added 5 oz lead in nose. I have a buddy of mine building one too ,he has painted his green and using gms 32 also. The engines worked out fine inverted after a lot of trail with glow plugs. the plugs that come with engines are junk. they would not hardly run engine at all! Be sure to use a little larger washer on bolts going in wing that holdsengine naclles on a blue loctite, they will work loose and dig into wood. thanks randy
Old 04-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Mr DJ

Randy

Most of you guys are using gms 32s—kool, but do you think OS .25s will get her up and going? I already have 4 new in the box .25s from 1984—bought for a B-24D Liberator I never got around to building. I’m thinking that if the .32s are too fast, the .25s should be just right.

Mr DJ
Old 04-15-2007, 05:30 PM
randy m

you are right, the 25s would be great. I never went to full power on my maiden flight.She lifted off at half and flew at half.I am very curious on how it will fly with the 9-7 3 blades. will know sat. they will be in wed. see ya Randy
Old 04-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Mr DJ

Randy

You’re video is not out yet, but your photo next to your bird is—looks good!

Mr DJ
Old 04-20-2007, 06:22 PM
gremlin
My Feedback: (6)

I just started working on mine this week, it wil be in Blue Angel colors. I still haven't ordered the retracts. Will be using the GMS 32's. I hope this forum keeps going. I dont' like how flimsy the fuesalage feels so I will most likely add some support in that area.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:18 PM
randy m

yes the fuse is unlike anything i have seen before,but seems to be holding up good so far.i will be flying mine again sat. morn. with 9-7 3 blade props.i had 8-6 3 blade before and the engines were screaming 13600 rpm and flying way to fast at half stick so i am hoping this will fly it at more scale speed. it is turning 10500 -10800 rpm now.let ya now how it does. randy
Old 04-21-2007, 03:24 AM
fgpierce
My Feedback: (2)

We're building one now. Not very impressed. The mains are ok but must remain inflated to keep aircraf off ground. The setup for the main doors is flaky. the main wheels are low quality and too big
Front gear is ok but the aft door doesn't work reliably and the front door has no given ideas as what to do with it. Your on your own here!
For the price of this arf I really expected more. Just how long will this plastic fuse last in the heat and cold.
I can't begin to count all the arfs, kits and scracth builts I've done and ruly believe if you want it your way ...... fix it or build it yourself. I do exspect something for what I paid for and ASM does not charge Nitroplanes. comprices
I just got thru assmbling the ASM Comet. First flight it took off great, flew great BUT during the second circut the left aileron pocket mount failed resulting in the plane rolling into a mess on the ground...... TOTAL LOSS. ALLONG with one of my OS 40fsr's busted! I haven't checked out he radio gear yet.
I'll finnish and fly the ASM C-130 But it's going to be a cold day before I get another ASM ARF.
This is not meant to be mean spirited or flame but I'm really disspointed. Two high dollar arf's like this is not good.
I didn't state all the problems,just a few.

Good luck
Old 04-21-2007, 05:08 AM
randy m

amen brother, i agree with you 110% the post i put on here just stated a few problems i had with this thing also!! i have said before these kits were shipprd the voodo man in the land down yonder put a curse on them!!! he heee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.