Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

ASM C-130

Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 PM
testfly

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: ASM C-130

Hey Jerry,

That 52 might be the build #. Mine has #54 on it.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:15 PM
fordtech09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Troy,
I believe your right i was looking at the last c-130 and found #48 on the wing tube.So this makes Build number #52 the last one Hobby
People had.I had great help from Mike Greenshields and Kyle Gittins in getting this last one. got plans to install all nav lights and build a cockpit.Also i still have the wings off the crashed one and their in pretty good shape. got some ideas about putting fowler flaps on those wings. Heres a picture of the cockpit i might build out of balsa.

Jerry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57792.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1502698  
Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 AM
testfly

Looks interesting.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:10 PM
greeter896

Ok fans of the C-130, Great Planes has a place on their web site where you can suggest their next plane be it Kit or Arf. The link to this page is http://greatplanes.bestrc.com/suggest-a-plane.html . Please place your vote for them to make a C-130 100ws Arf. We have nothing to lose in trying! I have already cast my vote. Lets come together and maybe, just maybe we will have a C-130 arf we can buy!

Regards,

Gary
Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 AM
testfly

My vote is in Thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 01:44 AM
Skydanz
My Feedback: (1)

HELP!
Does anyone still have the box and or shipping box the ASM C-130 came in? I found a replacement but the seller doesn't have the shipping box any more. Please let me know asap. I don't want to lose out because I can't ship it. I will pay for the box(s) and shipping to send it.

Thanks,
Don
Old 02-02-2011, 03:52 AM
greeter896

ORIGINAL: Skydanz

HELP!
Does anyone still have the box and or shipping box the ASM C-130 came in? I found a replacement but the seller doesn't have the shipping box any more. Please let me know asap. I don't want to lose out because I can't ship it. I will pay for the box(s) and shipping to send it.

Thanks,
Don
Hi Don,

Sorry, but I threw my box away about a year ago. I would have gladly given it to you if I still had it. I would try Hobby People or perhaps one could be made. Best of luck.

Regards,

Gary
Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Skydanz

I know you would Friend and I appreciate it. I called Hobby People and they said they make their shipping boxes out of larger boxes to fit the package. There was no offer to make me one though. Ha, they are down in your neck of the woods Gary. I would've stopped in on my way home had I crashed it a week earlier!

I'll come up with something.

DC
Old 02-02-2011, 09:46 AM
testfly

Hey Don,

You might visit a big box store and see if they would save/give you a few fridge or tall hot water heater boxes.

From them you could make what you need. I use to make my boxes by opening the seam and resizing the box then glue the new seam back with contact cement.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck
Old 02-05-2011, 06:02 PM
rockinmarine

Well gentlemen,

Got some bad news to report. After almost a year and half working on my C-130. She did her maiden flight today. Unfortunately it was her last as well. It took off beautifully, and I made sure I followed everyones advice. As soon as she took to the sky, I immediately tried to trim her out. Once I had the ailerons trimmed in, she kept trying to climb rapidly, so I had to drive the stick down till I could get the eleverators trimmed. I went Max trim down on the elevators, and she was still wanting to climb bad. So I tried to land her to recheck the elevator settings. Got a nice approach, and had her slow down. But she was acting like she was extremely tail heavy. So I aborted that approach and decided to come around for a longer, slow, low approach hoping I could get her to decend. Even with the motors cut she wouldnt decend. I made a total of 4 approaches with no success. After aborting the 4th approach, and already on 4:30 min's on the batteries I was starting to worry. So I decided Ill bring her around one more time, and use flaps. If it wouldnt decend, then Ill do what it takes. As I was excelerating to try to make a 5th run on the pattern, The # 4 engine died while I was making a Right turn. She immediately yaw'd right and stalled before I could even react. SMASH !!!!! Nose down. The fuselage Exploded.

The only good news from the crash is the Nacelles stopped the impact. They were destroyed. The wings were saved, and the tail section snapped off clean right behind the wing box. So all the parts of the tail are completely unscratched. So if anyone is interested in buying the main wings, and the tail section that has the horizontals, and vertical still intact, let me know. I threw the rest of the plane in the trash.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:48 AM
greeter896

ORIGINAL: rockinmarine

Well gentlemen,

Got some bad news to report. After almost a year and half working on my C-130. She did her maiden flight today. Unfortunately it was her last as well. It took off beautifully, and I made sure I followed everyones advice. As soon as she took to the sky, I immediately tried to trim her out. Once I had the ailerons trimmed in, she kept trying to climb rapidly, so I had to drive the stick down till I could get the eleverators trimmed. I went Max trim down on the elevators, and she was still wanting to climb bad. So I tried to land her to recheck the elevator settings. Got a nice approach, and had her slow down. But she was acting like she was extremely tail heavy. So I aborted that approach and decided to come around for a longer, slow, low approach hoping I could get her to decend. Even with the motors cut she wouldnt decend. I made a total of 4 approaches with no success. After aborting the 4th approach, and already on 4:30 min's on the batteries I was starting to worry. So I decided Ill bring her around one more time, and use flaps. If it wouldnt decend, then Ill do what it takes. As I was excelerating to try to make a 5th run on the pattern, The # 4 engine died while I was making a Right turn. She immediately yaw'd right and stalled before I could even react. SMASH !!!!! Nose down. The fuselage Exploded.

The only good news from the crash is the Nacelles stopped the impact. They were destroyed. The wings were saved, and the tail section snapped off clean right behind the wing box. So all the parts of the tail are completely unscratched. So if anyone is interested in buying the main wings, and the tail section that has the horizontals, and vertical still intact, let me know. I threw the rest of the plane in the trash.
Sorry to hear you lost your C-130. Sounds llike you did everything you could to save her. Did you check your CG before takeoff?

I might be interested in the parts you have left. Please send me an email with pics and prices and we can go from there. My email address is [email protected] . Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Regards,

Gary
Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Skydanz

Oh man Cary! I sympathize with your loss. It's a horrible sinking feeling when it makes that death roll. I hope you got some pictures of it before you flew. Did you have anyone video your flight?

Sorry friend,

DC
Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 PM
fordtech09

Hey Guys,
Man sorry to hear about Cary's bird. sounds like a CG problem. I do like to fly mine nose heavy it handles better. Got five days off this week and going to get busy and get mine built.Ordered four bladed props so i got everthing i need to get started.
Hey Don any luck locating a new bird.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 PM
testfly

Sorry to read about the loss of another C-130.

Was that one glow or electric?

Any idea why the #4 engine died?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:54 PM
fordtech09

Hi Troy,
Cary's bird was electric. i believe he had 2826-12 motors in it. not sure what the battery pack size. sound like low battery voltage shut the motor down. Also sounds like a CG problem. looks like in his post the airplane just wanted to climb and had alot of down trim and won't level off. As for me got mine on the bench now and i got 5 days off this week to get busy.got to get ready for the MAY flys.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:15 PM
testfly

Thanks for the info Jerry.

I just finished a ASM B-17 (120" ws) that I am flying the same power setup in.

However I did make a MAJOR CHANGE with regards to the wiring of the motors / ESCs / Batteries.

I will be changing all of my models over to the new wiring system.
I will mount my ESC's close to the batteries and run the motor wires as long as they need to be.

I have done a lot of research and what I have found out is that the motor wires can be 30' long if need be.
But, you want to keep the battery wires as short as you can. You can add caps but to me that is just another something that can fail.
I have a A 380 with long motor wires and no problems. The B-17 shows no sign of problems either.
I have not had any problems with the B-25 or the C-130. But, I have read enough that I will be changing the motor and ESC wiring.

The yellow ESCs are on the A 380 and the other image is the underside of the B-17 showing the ESCs and the bomb bay doors.
ESC's are all mounted under the battery area of the fuselage.
In the C-130 I plan to mount the ESCs just behind the rear hatch bulk head.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89698.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1568124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36497.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1568125  
Old 02-22-2011, 07:16 AM
fordtech09

Hmm scratching head you got my attention about the wires. my speed controls are in the nacelles close to the motors. my leads are 22 and 32 inches for inboard and outboard engines. So is there voltage drop in this configuration.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 AM
testfly

ORIGINAL: fordtech09

Hmm scratching head you got my attention about the wires. my speed controls are in the nacelles close to the motors. my leads are 22 and 32 inches for inboard and outboard engines. So is there voltage drop in this configuration.
That and spikes to the ESCs. The short of the long story is that long battery wires are hard on the caps on the ESC. You can add caps (1 for every 4" of wire) But, to me that is just another something that could fail.
As it is we have a Battery, ESC, Connectors and motor any one can fail and when it does the motor stops.

Below is a link that has a lot of information on the subject. It is worth taking the time to review. I sure changed the way I think about Battery / ESC and motor wiring.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952523

You might have a look at page 10 on my B-17 project to see how I setup the 4 ESCs.
http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/b...w-page-10.html
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM
rockinmarine

Thank you everyone about my plane. Sorry I havent had the time to get back to any of you. Gary I got your message about being interested in the wings. I havent had the time to take pictures of them yet. I will tell you there is a small piece in the front of one wing with minor damage that can be easily repaired. Also I was in the process of recoating the monocoat when I flew her. So when I take the pictures (hopefully this weekend) dont be discouraged on how they look. Ill try to take some high def pics to give you the best look.

To answer the question of my configuration, and what happened. I had 25 motors in there. Plenty of power, she got off the ground in no time. Power was not the issue. The ESC's were mounted in the back part of the nacelles, and the battery packs were in the fuselage. The only reason I crashed her, was due to my own stupidity. After doing more research, I realized where I went wrong. The weight for the aft end of the plane is in the vertical as we all know. I had 100oz of weights on the main support bars right behind the front nose wheel. But the rest of the fwd weight was in the batttery packs. The plane was perfectly balanced on the wing spar CG. Where I screwed up was I placed the batteries only 2 inches fwd of center. If anyone knows the laws of physics, they can tell you this is not a good configuration for a airplane. Its like placing a 100lb bag of concrete on a teeter totter on each side. But one bag is on the far seat, and the other is close to the center. Its balanced. But it takes more force to rebalance it if u knock it off center.

That is exactly what happened. She flew level, but because of the wind resistance to the tail, I had to fight to get the nose to stay level. Eventually, I ran out of battery power before I could get her to land.

To answer your question about how long the wires are. OHMs law states that if u increase resistance with a constant voltage, your amp draw will degrease more rapidly. If you use a long distancewire for your batteriesyou will increase your resistance. It will be so slight you wont even notice it on a voltmeter. But one you draw current through the wire, it will benoticed. The only true way to get around the resistance rise without having to add circuitry, is ensure you have a pure copper wire thats high grade. This will have a far lower resistance than that of a standard wire,and therfor you can use alonger stran with the same result.

If any of that just confused the hell out of someone, let me know. Ill try to simplify it.Sometimes I just get caught up in myjob.And start talkingout in left field.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM
fordtech09

Wow 100 ozs that 6.25 lbs up front. Up front i had only my two receiver batteries and they only weighted 5oz apiece. the battery tray was mounted in the fuselage just forward of the main spar. if fact check Testfly's post 294 and it shows the set -up. works perfect.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 PM
testfly

Something don't sound right with having to add weight like that.

And "Yes" I also mounted my motor batteries 4] 4 cell 5000 mah lipos just in front of the main spar in a battery tray I designed and CNC cut to a perfect fit on the fuselage stringers.
My receiver batteries (2] 5 cell nimh mount up front one on each side of the nose gear.

FWIW The problem with the long battery wire is over time it can kill the mosfets in your control and may even blow the caps

Here is a QUOTE from a ESC designer and maker. (astrobob)

" "
1. wire resistance my rob you of a bit of power but will not destroy
your speed control or motor.
2. wire inductance will not damage your motor nor will you be able to
detect any effect even with 100 feet of wire.
3. wire inductance will kill the mosfets in your control and may even blow the caps
I am a design engineer and manufacturer of motors and controls for over 30 years.
you must keep battery wires as short as practical . short means 1 foot or less.
brushed or brushless makes no difference.

here are some example of problems some customer have had
1. blimp 30 feet of wire to speed control and steering motor in the tail.
control voltage rating 60 volts 50amps motor load 12v 20 amps
result instant smoke first run of motor. I replaced control at no
cost . same result instant smoke. then i was told about long wires
ran a test with 3 ft cord result 30 volt swithching spikes on 100 uf input cap.
had customer put control near battery in gondola. 30 ft wire to motor
end of problems.

we have customers running very long wires to motors for industrial applications
with no problems. hundreds of feet or more.

on robots running two or more motors on one battery. 2 feet battery wires
to non opto coupled controls will make motors hunt. no problem with
opto coupled controls. with BEC controls keep battery wires short. PERIOD

astrobob

" "
Old 02-23-2011, 01:48 AM
greeter896

Hi Cary,

Again I am sorry about your C-130. I understand about the pictures. I will probably buy them anyway as I could use a spare set! Just let me know how much you want for them, ok? I hope you have'nt given up on the C-130. Quality Fiberglass sells a C-130 kit the same size as the ASM C-130. I got mine for $375.00 Shipped.

Hi Jerry and Testfly,

Testfly and Astrobob (Bob from Astroflight?) is correct in their statements. Jerry, please post some pic when possible of your C-130.

Hi Don,

How did you make out on your replacement C-130 search? I sure hope you were able to work it out.

I want to let you guys know I may be out of it for a couple of weeks. This Friday, Feb 25, I am going to have surgery to put in a AV fistula in my left arm so I can go on dialysis. Then a week later on March 4, I will be getting my right hip replaced. So keep posting a lot so I have something to read when I get out and of course keep flying.

Best Regards,

Gary
Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 PM
rockinmarine

I stand corrected about the weights. There were 2 rows of 30Oz of weight on each support bar. So there was only a total of 60 Oz of weight. Yes I know it seemed like alot, but for some reason it was necessary.

As far as the wire issue. I agree with Astrobob. But it is only recommended not required. I make my living working on real aircraft as an electrician. Most of my research is done with aeronautical engineers. As far as how I was able to come up with the conclusion of how my plane failed. Well I have access to advanced computer systems that can recreate how an aircraft will fly given all the data from a crash. This is the same system used during a aircraft mishap investigations. We were able to take the dimensions of the plane with the total configuration on the aircraft and duplicate its flight, and determine the exact flight charachteristics with all the conditions.

What I was told after running the computer model, was how in the hell did that thing stay airborne on its initial approach without going into a stall if the nose was that light, no power applied for forward thrust, and no lateral control to stabalize on descent. Basically, it should have hit the ground alot earlier than it did. If I didnt have the amount of power that I did, and go to full throttle like i did, she wouldnt have made it. Luckily, it did, for 3 more minutes.

I will look into the fiberglass kit. Trying to convince my wife of that one will be a miracle....LOL
Old 02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
fordtech09

Well got the next five days off and getting busy.Gary i'll take pics as i go and upload when i can. Got some news about
there maybe an updated C-130 coming out soon. As soon as i get the info i'll post it.
Also redoing my wiring system and going to move the speed controls closer to the batteries.Got some 4 bladed props on order and ordered more wires and conncetors.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
rockinmarine

Sounds good. Keep us posted. Would love to know if there is another C-130 coming out. Who is the manu for it ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.