Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Giant Bob Cat by Bradford

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Giant Bob Cat by Bradford

Old 04-18-2007, 03:39 PM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Giant Bob Cat by Bradford

I built this Bob Cat many years back, it's just a "fun" airplane, with very good "one engine" flight manners. It has a 97" wing span and uses two O.S. .91 Surpass for power. The original plans had the fuel tank boxes and motor mounts basic "boxes" and on a recent rebuild of the wing I decided to add a little more detail with the nacells and cowls. A mishap (pilot error) caused some damage on the wing so I decided to completely rebuild it from scratch. I changed the entire color scheme and added Monokote graphics of our daughter-in-law's medical practice. The Bob Cat is very aerobatic and very stable, just a fun flier. I also machined some pneumatic brakes and aluminum wheels for it. The wing is one piece but just fits into the back of my station wagon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14609.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	667333  
Old 04-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Giant Bob Cat by Bradford

DelRay,
post some more pics of the Bob Cat...
pllleezzeee..
Old 04-19-2007, 01:15 PM
DelRay

Robby, thanks for the interest, I just happen to have a few more pics, imagine that.

Name:	Bz77284.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	668030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31307.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	668031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28829.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	668032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30654.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	668033  
Old 04-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It fits in the back of your "Station Wagon" but most 3/4 ton vans don't have as much room in them as your "Station Wagon" does!

Bob
Old 04-20-2007, 08:35 AM
DelRay

Bob, you're right. Here's an idea, strap the wing on top, it looks almost like a surfboard anyway.

Jim
Old 04-23-2007, 01:32 PM
anonymouse

What a surprise!!!!! I bought a .40 size Bobcat built from a kit and never flown thought it was a one off home design. Got it almost free, and tried to find out what the heck I bought. I found and ad in an old magazine and to my surprise there it was. Two or three sizes available in kit form or ARF. Took awhile to figue out the throws and balance point also found the rudder area way too small. I tripled the area of the rudder and now have it flying great. It is still a bit pitch sensitive, but I have about 70% expo to make it manageable. Using two OS .40s and APC 11-7 scimitar props. Love the sound of a twin........Cliff
Old 04-23-2007, 01:56 PM
DelRay

Cliff, yes, it is a great flying plane, and doesn't look all that bad to boot. A good friend of mine bought one of the smaller versions as soon as he seen mine, he used two Saitos on his. As far as I know, he hasn't flown his yet (that's been a few moons ago). You can see that I decided to give the original tank boxes and motor mounts the "six" and built something a little more eye appealing. Probably with the vertical fin on mine being rather large from the git-go, several one engine flights didn't require hardly any rudder correction at all. The 2 deg. offset in the motors helps also. You're right, the sound of the two in sync is cool.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:45 PM
anonymouse

I have had few problems controling with one engine out. Had one die at altitude, full throttle, and the plane went into the neatest flat spin. As soon as you throttle back it flys pretty good with one out. Like the nacelle treatment a lot better than the "boxes", and yes it is a nice looking design overall.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:38 AM
DelRay

Cliff, not the method one wants to enter a flat spin, huh? As long as I was rebuilding the entire wing, I thought I might as well try and spruce it up a little. I didn't include the flaps on the second wing. I didn't include the smoke system either, but I did add the pneumatic brakes and supply tank for them, and oh, yes, the leading edge landing lights. If anything ever happens to this one, I'll scratch build another one for sure. Jim
Old 04-24-2007, 07:56 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Watch the "Many Years Back" comment.. Ok Ok,,so I did not have a digital camera,,but it could not have been that long??
The Texas Twins name and plans were sold the the old boy in Florida who kits the Long John, but the three planes in the series never came back into production.
Mine had two ST 90's and yes, flew many times on a single engine,,but like all twins you learned to fly rudder...after the snap roll.
Thanks for the memories. Mine is actually still flyable with another owner who has never put it back in the air,
Twinman

Name:	Sq46108.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	671573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41502.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	671574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96359.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	671575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41174.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	671576  
Old 04-25-2007, 08:29 AM
DelRay

Twinman, thanks for the nice pics, great looking BobCat. Sorry about the "many years back" comment, I'll try and watch my tongue from now on. One look at the pics and one can tell what plane that is, that is if you've ever had one( hmmm??) It must have been the Texas Twins after Bradford, it seems I sorta remember the name but not sure, that was many years, oooppps, sorry. Like I said, if anything happens to the one I have, I'll scratch build another for sure. Tell that owner that it's too nice of a bird to not be flying.
My last "nasty" with mine brings to mind the thoughts of what a "single" rotating prop at a given rpm at a given airspeed looks like as far as possibly being similar to a small billboard. The base and final turns were perfect, the approach was right on, and , well,[:@] Need I say more? That one I had two O.S. .90 four strokes on CH Ignition units, the new wing I have two, new O.S. .90 Surpass with onboard glo units.