Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Civilian to military-337

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Civilian to military-337

Old 04-22-2007, 04:33 PM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Civilian to military-337

I thought it was time for a few pics as the coming storm and winds are telling me it's time to close the patio paint shop. I scratch built this Cessna 337 about 18 years ago, and originally it was covered in white Monokote with red and blue trim. It's WS is 85" and the tail booms are 34" long measuring from the trailing edge of the wing. The tail booms are built up of plywood bulkheads and spruce 1/4 square stringers, sheeted with 1/16" balsa. The vertical fins, stab and elevator are 1/4 sheet balsa. Having already built a 1/5th scale Cessna 182 I had the templates to scratch build the wing for my 337. The front cowl is the same used on the 182, and I scratch built the fuselage from my own plans. Two O.S. .90 four strokes power it and it uses a total of eight servos for control. It weighs about 12 pounds, and flies very nicely.
Wanting a "warbird" I started thinking about reviving the old ,spare 310 overhead in the garage and converting this to military. After a few seconds of thinking about it, I abandoned that idea and decided to convert the 337. Removing all the Monokote was easily handled with the aid of a heavy duty heat gun, then to the fill and sand routine before applying the E-Z-Lam .6 oz. cloth and resin. Then for some more fill and sand using an Evercoat light weight glazing compound, it's neat stuff, sands easily after about a five minute set time. I'm now in the process of putting on a coat of Evercoat light weight lacquer primer, and then for some more fill and sand fun.
I cut the observation window in the fuselage and will have two hard points on the wing for the rocket and mini-gun pods. A few antennas on the roof, some markings, and hopefully it'll start looking a little more military. The interior color and some added details to be added also. As far as the final color or paint scheme, I haven't decided yet, probably the Army green , no camo version, but that might change when that part of the project comes around. I hope to have my "Oscar Duece" ready for the club's July "warbird" event. That's if Mother Nature doesn't keep shutting my paint shop down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25573.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	670000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21874.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	670001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89422.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	670002  
Old 04-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Civilian to military-337

Here ya go.. Some military 336/337 ( O-2 )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_Skymaster

http://www.aircraftdealer.com/dealer...pec44779_2.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...csearch=Cessna 336 Skymaster|Cessna 337 Super Skymaster/Pressurized Skymaster (O-2)|Reims F337 Super Skymaster/Pressurized Skymaster/Milirole&aircraftsearch=
Old 04-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad I caught this thread. I've just got my hands on a mint copy of the plans for the old Royal 337. It has a 76" span and 750 square inches.

I'm going to DOUBLE the size of the plane and mount up a pair of 36cc chainsaw engines. [X(] [8D]
Old 04-23-2007, 07:28 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robby, thanks for the info on the pics, one can always use a few more. I found a bunch of them on a site hosted by fotunecity.

RCPilet, that sounds like a real project, I'll scout around for a big balsa forrest, when I find it I'll let ya know. It sounds like you're going to double pop the plans and not mess around with maybe a half size bigger. It's been a long time back, and I can't remember the exact details of a large 337 , I think it was at theToledo show, but not certain. I think it's WS was around 120" and it had two bigger O.S. twin four strokes on it. I do remember drooling though. Are you planning a military or civilian model with your biggie? Granted, that's a fair peace down the road, just wondering. Are you planning on having a kit cut from your enlarged plans, or are you going to do it all yourself? I bought a front cowl for mine and scratch built the rear top and bottom cowls from balsa. I've got a second fuselage all built and decided to make a mold and build a glass cowl for the bottom, will probably do the same for the top one if I ever decide to finish that one. I'm anxious to see some pics of your new monster when you get started on it. Jim