Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Giant Bobcat-maiden voyage II

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Giant Bobcat-maiden voyage II

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Giant Bobcat-maiden voyage II

Finally, after several years after the rebuild and just sitting around gathering shop dust, I finally got the Bobcat back in the air again. The Bobcat is a Bradford Kit, the larger 94" version of the two that were available. The first flight was excellent and every flight thereafter was also great till pilot error ended that, it was a stupid mistake on my part, looking back now, oh well, woulda, shoulda, coulda. The "happening", I don't like the word "crash", damaged the wing extensively but left the fuselage basically unharmed.
While rebuilding the wing I decided to make a few changes, mainly to design new nacells and cowls to add a little pazazz to the project, the time and effort were well worth it in my opinion. The original tank boxes and motor mounts were just that, boxes, but did their jobs well. The two, new nacells are installed with the two to three degree out thrust built into them, giving it the good one engine out performance. The original engine mounting was vertical, I changed this to a horizontal position for looks and muffler placement. I also decided to recover the plane with bright yellow with red, white and blue grapics and trim. The original light blue, pink and white just had to go.
The power is two O.S. .91 Surpass with MPI onboard glo drivers, these have a led display and an arming switch behind each nacell on top of the wing, the charging port and access panels to each are on the bottom of the wing. Enjoying doing machining projects on my Smithy I built the mag wheels and pneumatic brakes, and the reflector bases for the landing lights. I turned the threads off of a couple of 6/32 hex cap screws to use in the h.s. needles, a small hole in cowl above each allows adjustments.
A total of seven sevos are used, 1/4 scale servos for the elevator and rudder, two h.d. servos for the ailerons, and regular servos for the two throttles and nose gear steering. An all up weight of about fifteen pounds, plenty of wing area make this one a pleasure to fly. It's called "Pa Pa's Toy II, the nose art is the names of the four grandkids, the wing graphics are of the daughter-in-law's medical practice down in Louisville,Ky .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15707.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	774079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81868.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	774080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz70145.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	774081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65401.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	774082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx22826.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	774083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of59255.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	774084  
The following users liked this post:
uncleTom (09-23-2020)
Old 09-02-2017, 05:47 PM
SPACE COWBOY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Bradford Bobcat Twin!

Delray, I have a Bobcat twin, too! I had the forty-size, 120 size single, and the twin at one time, but sold the .40 and the 120. I knew the designer, he was from Burlington, NC, just a few miles from me, and has passed away. Great flying planes, all of them! Seeing yours makes me want to re-do mine! Blue Skies, Cody
Old 09-22-2020, 09:28 PM
Kristine_Booth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for the kind words! My late father was Bradford who he was totally in love with the Bobcat. Thank you for sharing. God bless.