Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Nitro Models Cessna 421C build and fan page

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I''m interested in following this build thread
91.11%
I''m not too interested, but I think others would be.
6.67%
It''s been done for an electric, so probably not
2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Nitro Models Cessna 421C build and fan page

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nitro Models Cessna 421C build and fan page

I recently purchased from Nitro Models their Cessna 421C in its bright orange and white scheme. It comes set-up to be easily modded for rail-mount retracts. The fuselage is fiberglass, and is actually pretty well done. My plan is to use two K&B .45 Sportsters on it and a complete mix of servos that I have lying around.

The Cessna 421 is a nostalgic project for me since my dad owned one or two of them over the years and we travelled in them frequently. I was often the co-pilot. I loved that plane and I always wanted to build an R/C version.

So, after watching the Nito Models 421 on sale for $199.99 for several weeks, I finally sold some things and bought it.

The question is, would anyone be interested in a build thread and review?

I'll upload some pictures that I took the day I got it. You can see that the canopy arrived with several cracks in it, but using their forum on RCU I got in contact with a gentleman who is sending me a replacement, which should arrive any minute now.

-Pat

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18021.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1156403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14206.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1156404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30067.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1156405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46403.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1156406  
Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 PM
boingram

Default RE: Nitro Models Cessna 421C build and fan page

A build thread would be great....I have several twins including the TF 310...been thinking about this one....but I dunno about the Sportsters!

Thanks...Bo
Old 03-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do it !!!!

('nuff said!)
Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Patto

Okay then, here goes:

The product's URL: http://www.nitroplanes.com/421sctwnigas.html

The specs as listed on the site:
Wing Span: 71in / 1800mm
Wing Area: 763 sq.in / 49.5 sq.dm
Flying Weight: 11.0 lbs /5000g
Fuselage Length: 62.6in / 1590mm
Engine Required: 2c :0.40-0.46 x2
Radio Required: 6 channels ; 10-11 servos

The package arrived, (one large box) three days after I ordered it. I used an online coupon code that I found on a separate website that gave me an instant 5% off. It was just a little over $200 shipped. The packaging is cardboard over cardboard on the outside, and then everything inside is wrapped in plastic and that foam fabric material. All of the components were secure in their places and intact except the plastic canopy and the canopy deck/hatch, which is ply. The hatch was easily repaired so no worries there, but the canopy was pretty crushed.

I called the first customer service number for Nitro Planes, and it was busy. I called the second one and was told by a machine that I was in the queue. I went from number 7 to 4 very quickly, but after I was number 4 for about 20 minutes, I hung up. During that time, I was also trying out the online chat feature on their website but I was on hold for their next available representative for a long time there as well. I recalled that Nitro Planes had a section on RCU and went to their forum. They had recent activity in the forum for damaged items, including communiques from a gentleman named John. I posted there and sent him a PM letting him know about the post. Once the weekend was over, I got a PM back and shortly thereafter a shipping notification from UPS. The new, perfect condition canopy arrived today.

Now, the best news of all was that the pictures did not do the color scheme much justice. In the photos, it looks almost like a rusty orange color, but it is actually pretty bright and should be easier to see than most traditional civilian scemes.

Here's a stock photo, and progress report to follow:

Name:	Pn37820.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1156648  
Old 03-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Patto

The K&B .45's are for a bit of a nostalgic effect. I know I could find more powerful engines, but that's not what I was looking for. If they aren't up to the job, I can always replace them, right?

Okay, so here are some pictures from the build progress so far. I actually started building this several days ago, but I've had a lot of other things come up that have kept me from being able to work on it more. I also ran into some problems with the engine alignment.

Here you can see that I've hinged the ailerons and flaps.

Name:	Wu61609.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1156678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98934.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1156679  
Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Patto

Next, I installed the vertical and horizontal stabs, and then hinged the elevators and rudder. The elevators are attached with two carbon rods, one about a foot long, the other about six inches long, as spar supports. The vertical fin is attached with only a couple of 1/4" dowels and some epoxy. We'll see how long that lasts with my style of flying...

Name:	Yw67193.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1156685  
Old 03-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Chas
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just received mine, do you have any problem running 2 stroke inverted?? I was going to mount mine sideways and use brisson mufflers. what are you going to use for retracts?? I decided on Robarts economy air up, spring down. I would like to use there 3/8 robostruts also but that is another 120.00, will see!!

Chuck.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:58 PM
jetfixr
My Feedback: (13)

Are either of you planning on repainting/recovering the plane? I would love to see what one of these looked like with a modern looking paint scheme and some de-icer boots.

Name:	Rp43651.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	1156966  
Old 03-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Patto

ORIGINAL: Chas

I also just received mine, do you have any problem running 2 stroke inverted?? I was going to mount mine sideways and use brisson mufflers. what are you going to use for retracts?? I decided on Robarts economy air up, spring down. I would like to use there 3/8 robostruts also but that is another 120.00, will see!!

Chuck.
I have had problems running 2-strokes inverted in the past, but not always. The main problem is usually that when you invert the engine you make the carb signficantly lower than it normally would be and cause the engine to flood, extinguishing your glow plug's glow. You can often times lean the low end needle to counteract it, or you can move the fuel tank. I'm going to try it and see how it turns out. I only have the standard mufflers as an option on these engines, so mounting them on their sides is not an option. If you have that option, DEFINITELY do it that way!

I have the Robart 520W's for the retracts. I'm going to use the wire gear that comes with the Robarts and add some fairings to them. Yeah, I would rather have the Robostruts as well, but $120 for the set?! OMG!!

Old 03-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Patto

ORIGINAL: jetfixr

Are either of you planning on repainting/recovering the plane? I would love to see what one of these looked like with a modern looking paint scheme and some de-icer boots.
Actually, now that I've seen the plane in person, the scheme is actually pretty good. I'm going to leave it as-is for now. However, the de-icer boots would be easy enough to replicate, right? Some dull black covering would probably do the trick. I hadn't even thought about it before, but now that you mention it, I think de-icer boots are a must.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:24 PM
jetfixr

Yes, they would be easy to replicate, and would really make the plane look sharp. Good luck, and I will be watching your build.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Patto

Yes, they would be easy to replicate, and would really make the plane look sharp. Good luck, and I will be watching your build.
Yeah, I was originally thinking that some kind of super quality electrical tape may even suffice, but that's probably asking for trouble. May as well use standard covering.

Thank you, I hope it's not a waste of your time!

I posted pictures earlier of the progress on the retracts installation but that post dissappeared, (probably an error on my part). You can also see some of the nice details inside the fiberglass fuselage. Here they are again...

Name:	Nl29854.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1157063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69325.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1157064  
Old 03-13-2009, 07:09 PM
jetfixr

Definitely not a waste of my time. Standard covering would probably be the best unless you get the stick on monokote stuff that comes in the 6" wide strips, and you are very carefull not to get any wrinkles in it. I have used it for trim before, and like I said if you don't get any wrinkles it should work fine. The insides look good. I have had a couple of nitroplanes products and have been pleased with both of them.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Patto

I actually have some black press-on Monokote trim already, so I will probably just use that. Thanks again for the great idea on adding some scale realism.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Patto

Okay, so here's the list of gear going in the plane:

2 X K&B .45 Sportsters w/standard mufflers
stock fuel tanks and plumbing
2 X Master Airscrew 9X7 3-blade props w/ 2.5" white Dubro spinners
Robart 520W1 Tri-gear air up/spring down retracts with Robart wire gear
Servos: (mix-and-match from what I had on-hand)
2 X Hobbico CS170 digitals on elevators
2 X Futaba 9252 on ailerons
2 X Hitec 475HB's on flaps
1 X Hitec 5985MG on rudder
2 X JR standard analogs on throttles
1 X JR 8311 on nosewheel steering
1 X unknown servo on retract actuator

I'll be using my Futaba 9C Super with XPS 2.4GHz for guidance utilizing 8 channels.

From the stock hardware, so far I have used the control horns and motor mounts. I've replaced the soft engine mounting bolts and screws with hobby-grade SAE bolts, blind nuts, and lock-nuts for mounting the engines, (which is where I'm at currently). The stock long control rods are just long rods, no threads, and no real instructions on how they expect you to use them. Furthermore, they are too short to use on the rudder and elevators. There were not enough of the short rods that WERE threaded to do both throttle set-ups, so I'm going to use some flexible tube-in-tube stuff that I have already.

I've been sick with a cold for the past few days, so the only progress I've really made has been on this thread. Standing in the cold garage workin on the plane doesn't appeal so much when I'm sick...
Old 03-14-2009, 06:37 AM
Chas
My Feedback: (16)

When you feel better, keep it coming. I decided on side mount engines and brisson mufflers for mine. it,s just money????????? I,m going with same retracts but not sure if I,m i will go with robo struts for them. sure would like to. I have a few Hitec HS-81, 42oz torque on 6 volt . I will put 2 on engines and one on retract valve, save a little weight! Not sure what engines I.m going to put in, if money was not a problem it would be the OS 46 AX, WILL SEE .

Chuck
Old 03-14-2009, 01:03 PM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To make your trim monokote apply bubble less, spray the area you're going to put it on with 409 ( or a reasonable facsimile) first, then use some sort of card to squeegee out the excess moisture. much easier and neater.
I also have the 421, but several projects are ahead of it.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Patto

ORIGINAL: Chas

When you feel better, keep it coming. I decided on side mount engines and brisson mufflers for mine. it,s just money????????? I,m going with same retracts but not sure if I,m i will go with robo struts for them. sure would like to. I have a few Hitec HS-81, 42oz torque on 6 volt . I will put 2 on engines and one on retract valve, save a little weight! Not sure what engines I.m going to put in, if money was not a problem it would be the OS 46 AX, WILL SEE .

Chuck
I was going to use the exact same servos for the exact same purposes, but then I decided to use the JR's since the servo cut-outs were already there for standards. It's not like it would be too hard to mod it a little for mini servos, so maybe I'll go that route afterall. Saving weight is a good thing, but this is a scale plane, so we don't want to take too much weight off and have it fly like it's made of foam... but I'll ponder those mini's again...

As far as engines go, yes, you can spend a whole lot on O.S. engines and you really do get what you pay for I think; however, you can also spend a lot less and get only slightly less in performance. I bought the cheapest new .40 I could find a few years back, the SuperTiger .40 that Tower Hobbies had on sale for $49.99. It never missed a beat and is still running to date in the same plane, (both of which I sold at a very low price to a friend who was just getting started). GMS makes good engines for the money, so do SK and Aviastar. I like Magnum 4-strokes but have never had much luck with their 2-strokes.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Patto

ORIGINAL: cjtyped

To make your trim monokote apply bubble less, spray the area you're going to put it on with 409 ( or a reasonable facsimile) first, then use some sort of card to squeegee out the excess moisture. much easier and neater.
I also have the 421, but several projects are ahead of it.
I had heard that technique before and completely forgotten about it, but I heard that it worked really well.

Thanks for the advice!!

What else ya got? I need any and all advice for how to add scale details on a tight budget.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:30 AM
jetfixr

You could use robart strut covers instead of Robostruts. Also, you can easily fabricate and add antennas.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:22 AM
Patto

What do you suggest for making antennas? Shape them or use wire? My knowledge with R/C airplanes is great when it comes to engines, flying, set-up, etc., but I'm a novice when it comes to scale details.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:41 PM
jetfixr

I would shape them out of balsa, then fiberglass them lightly, paint them white, and epoxy them on. I spoke a bit early on the antennas though. I did a little research and come to find out most of the antennas on a 421 are on the bottom. You can still make them, but they could get damaged on grass, or if you make an off airfield landing. They do however have a blade antenna on each side of the tail, and a small one on top of the cabin. When I try to add scale details to a model I just pick a picture and do what I can. I have attached one. Just looking at this picture, you could make static wicks (the little antenna like things on the trailing edges of the surfaces), paint your props and then add stripes on the tips (always a great effect when running too!), you could add the antennas mentioned, a made up tail number if yours doesn't have one already, and of course the de-icer boots. You could even add gear doors if you really got into it, but that would take some work. Again, good luck and I will be anxious to see what you create!

Name:	Mk27076.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1158227  
Old 03-15-2009, 04:40 PM
trevtt600

Hello All. I am just about done with my Nitro 421. I will post some pictures when i get home. I am glad that more people are seeing the potential of this model. They did a very good job modeling it. I have flown the real airplane many times, and has come to be my favorite GA twin engine plane. I am using twin GMS .47 with inverted pitts mufflers, Robart 700 series retracts, LED light kit, and have added deice boots to the plane. After seeing the last few posted, i think i will be adding some static wicks, and a few other details. I did the first engine run this weekend, and boy what a great sound. I look forward to seeing everyones build!!
Old 03-16-2009, 02:29 AM
Patto

I would shape them out of balsa, then fiberglass them lightly, paint them white, and epoxy them on. I spoke a bit early on the antennas though. I did a little research and come to find out most of the antennas on a 421 are on the bottom. You can still make them, but they could get damaged on grass, or if you make an off airfield landing. They do however have a blade antenna on each side of the tail, and a small one on top of the cabin. When I try to add scale details to a model I just pick a picture and do what I can. I have attached one. Just looking at this picture, you could make static wicks (the little antenna like things on the trailing edges of the surfaces), paint your props and then add stripes on the tips (always a great effect when running too!), you could add the antennas mentioned, a made up tail number if yours doesn't have one already, and of course the de-icer boots. You could even add gear doors if you really got into it, but that would take some work. Again, good luck and I will be anxious to see what you create!
Great advice, thank you. I'm already planning on doing the gear doors for sure. Seems like an easy enough project if I make them out of balsa or light ply and just affix them to the wire gear. The static wicks are another good idea. There are probably a lot of household items that could be painted black and then stuck in the TE's.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:30 AM
Patto

ORIGINAL: trevtt600

Hello All. I am just about done with my Nitro 421. I will post some pictures when i get home. I am glad that more people are seeing the potential of this model. They did a very good job modeling it. I have flown the real airplane many times, and has come to be my favorite GA twin engine plane. I am using twin GMS .47 with inverted pitts mufflers, Robart 700 series retracts, LED light kit, and have added deice boots to the plane. After seeing the last few posted, i think i will be adding some static wicks, and a few other details. I did the first engine run this weekend, and boy what a great sound. I look forward to seeing everyones build!!
I've flown inside a 421 as well, and it was a nice plane. I was just the co-pilot, but still...

Please post some pictures of your plane. What LED light kit did you go with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.