Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

"Nosen Cessna 310 Club"

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

"Nosen Cessna 310 Club"

Old 05-16-2020, 08:37 AM
vmeek
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to post a question to the group.
What effect would not putting the tip tanks on the wing have in the flying of the 310?
Old 05-17-2020, 04:09 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are referring to the Bud Nosen Cessna 310, as far as flying characteristics I don't think
it would affect the handling of the airplane, but then it wouldn't be a Cessna 310, as that is the
distinguishing character of this beautiful aircraft. I know they are a bear to shape if you are
assembling them from balsa, but I would invest in the fiberglass ones from G & L Hobbies,
give Greg a call @ 931-528-9312 or send him an e-mail to [email protected], as I'm pretty
sure he would sell you just the tip tanks. Goof luck with your project

Bill D.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:46 AM
vmeek

Default 310 build

Hello Bill
Long time no talk to.
I am working with a tf 310 that I made a mold for the fuse.
The tip tanks on that plane are a bear to make a mold for so I thought if I leave them off I could end this headache.
As far as the Nosen glass parts I have them already but they are suffering from the roundtoits. (I will get around to it some day)
Back when you started this thread I posted my build of the kit and got to the point of it being primed and it fell into the roundtoits Primed and waiting for time.
I bought a laser and have not had time to do anything for myself.
This tf 310 is a project I started about 5 years ago and now I am going to finish! ( designing a wing is killing me!)
I know this is the wrong forum to post about the TF but it is the only active and current forum.
If anyone is interested in seeing the pictures as I progress contact me
This is my Nosen build
Nosen Cessna 310

Last edited by vmeek; 05-17-2020 at 06:50 AM. Reason: add thread link
Old 10-08-2020, 06:58 AM
BIGRCR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been trying to purchase the G&L 310 parts for my Nosen build. Unfortunately I have been unable to contact Greg over the past couple of months. I’ve called, sent emails, but no response. I guess I’m down to making the parts myself now and modifying cowls to suit my engines (Sachs 2.3’s). Looking forward to the build once I complete my Ziroli Spitfire in progress now.

BIGRCR- John Garst
Old 10-08-2020, 05:15 PM
heinzulrich

check with Fiberglass specialty. i got all my cowls, wing tips from them. they even have two sizes of cowls.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:44 AM
BIGRCR

I thought about getting them from Fiberglass Specialties, but then I would have to modify them anyway so why not build them? As I remember, FS has a long and short version of the same flat nose box that was a fiberglass version of the balsa slab built Nosen cowls, not too appealing as I remember?

John
Old 10-09-2020, 09:32 AM
Larry J.

Originally Posted by BIGRCR View Post
I thought about getting them from Fiberglass Specialties, but then I would have to modify them anyway so why not build them? As I remember, FS has a long and short version of the same flat nose box that was a fiberglass version of the balsa slab built Nosen cowls, not too appealing as I remember?

John
How about this?
Not sure if they'll fit. They're for Hostetler.
https://fibertechnmore.com/wh-17-ces...berglass-cowl/

Last edited by Larry J.; 10-09-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:47 AM
BIGRCR

I read somewhere that the ones for the Hostetler may work. Possibly on this forum? I have some time to make up my mind on this. The Ziroli Spit will be starting glassing this week coming and the 310 is next in line... thanks for the replies. Hopefully I can get a response from Greg at G&L as I was kinda looking forward to their parts..
BIGRCR-John Garst
Old 10-17-2020, 05:32 AM
Bill Diedrich

Got a request for membership in the "Nosen Cessna 310 Club" recently from a fellow flyer in Finland,
Hannu Ripatti. Please all of you that still follow this thread, welcome him.

As for myself I am no longer building and flying model aircraft due to health reasons associated with
my better half and my sight isn't the best since suffering a slight stroke several months ago. I am sorry
to say that I will no longer be monitoring this forum for the "Bud Nosen Cessna 310 Club" but will leave the
thread open for those that come along and wish to contribute to the info shared here.

In passing I want to thank all of you that have been along for the ride over the years that this thread have been active.

Sincerely & Respectfully Yours
Bill Diedrich

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 10-17-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:04 PM
Larry J.

Bill,
Very sorry to hear of the health challenges affecting you and your family.
Sending prayers and good wishes your way.
I hope you'll be able to return to the hobby in the near future.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:40 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Not a Nosen, but it was heavily influenced by the Nosen design.

my 40% U3B designed and built by the late Merlyn Graves.
twin DA100Ls
mejlik 27x10
hitec 5955TG servos
Jeti radio guidance and telemetry
modified Shindin machine retracts and struts.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:20 PM
Larry J.

Cool

WOW!....Beautiful 310.
Do you have video?
My CY 310 doesn't look so large anymore ...
Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-24-2021, 06:26 AM
Bill Diedrich

Thanks for posting the pictures of your beautiful 310, nice job, would love to see a video of it flying.
Let's see by my math that has 14' wing span or very close to it and an overall length of approx. 10' 9"
or very close. My favorite paint scheme also the USAF.

Great Job well done.

Bill D.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:38 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Diedrich View Post
Thanks for posting the pictures of your beautiful 310, nice job, would love to see a video of it flying.
Let's see by my math that has 14' wing span or very close to it and an overall length of approx. 10' 9"
or very close. My favorite paint scheme also the USAF.

Great Job well done.

Bill D.
you would be correct, it is a Monster!

its been suffering some growing pains, but with the latest upgrades/repairs i am confident those are behind us. Now its just a matter of time waiting for warmer weather to get some more flight time on her.

its a Doll to fly with no bad habits and would make a great weekend model.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:37 AM
Walther

What kind of weight for the 310 are you looking at with 30cc engines?
Old 05-21-2021, 11:46 PM
jsparky

Talking

I had to go back and look at my old posts.. and WOW.. over 10 years has gone by.. Well I am retired now and have been catching up on some long waiting projects.. And now my nosen is on the work bench. I think back to how many planes have come and gone on the bench.. not to mention the spilled beer 😁 and the beer that has been drank..👍

It took me about 2 hours with a pail and sponge to clean the airframe.. She originally weighed in at 35 lbs with the Enya 1.20 engines.. After stripping the old hardware off , and those gaudy looking landing gear.. but I manage to strip her down to 20 lbs bare airframe.. I have a pair of 30cc RCGF engines and new retracts to go in.. With the new hardware it looks like I will be adding about 10 lbs... she should come out around 30 total..

Some how.. in the history of this plane and the numerous people who have owned it.. but I have original pictures that the builder took some 25 to 30 years ago.. the pics have followed along with the plane over all those years.. so I had a pretty good idea of what was inside the center section. In these pics you can see how I have opened up the wing to install the new retracts. The flap servo has to be re-located as well as one wing tube.

This would have been a lot easier during the original build..

Old 05-22-2021, 03:50 AM
Bill Diedrich

Keep the updates coming, looking forward to see her in the new color scheme with the
new engines. I know that if those 30cc engines can pull that 40% monster from a post
above they will be more than ample power for your 310.

Thanks for sharing..........

Bill D.

BTW just to inform anyone looking in on this forum, G & L Fiberglass no longer has a
store front, but Greg assured me he is still making parts for the Bud Nosen 310. It might
take a little longer to get the parts you order but he will definitely continue making them
available. He has had to take over the grocery business his parents had after their passing.
But he is still producing parts in the evenings and weekends.

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 05-22-2021 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:07 PM
jsparky

LOL.. wow.. thanks Bill.. glad to see you and this thread still here.. It has been a long time coming.. but life just got in the way.. This is going to be a pretty serious project.. most of the work is in the center section.. And I am pretty picky about how things get built.. The rest of the airframe is still in pretty good condition.. mostly hanger rash.. The left gear is ready to install but on hold till the right one is ready , then alignment.. There is a lot of planning yet to do ,, for the electrical , fuel , air , etc.. I have a Wilk's Twin Sync for the engines. and that has to be planned in as well as tested.. But I will keep updates as to this project.. these old birds a piece of time and history... It is going to be amazing to see her take to the air again..
Old 05-27-2021, 04:56 AM
jsparky

Well just sitting having my coffee and thought I would put in a couple more pics.. the first one is what the nacelle looked like originally .. the battery was for an onboard glow heater that worked off the throttle servo to a micro switch.

I finally got the right side wing opened up and got everything ready for the retracts to be installed.. you can see in the pics a bar between the gear. I machined a squared face at each end , and then tapped a hole ,, this allowed me to bolt the gear to the rod and hold everything in alignment during the install..

The original wing tubes where removed and new CF ones are ordered.. The original ones had way too much slop in them for my liking .. seemed like she might fly with the wings flapping like a bird.. Ran into a buddy who gave me a lead to some new tubes.. here is the link.. https://zyhobby.com/

Original nacelle

Wing finally opened up

A little surprised to find bits of balsa holding the tubes in place

Nightmarish wiring

Jig to hold the gear in alignment

Old 05-27-2021, 01:57 PM
Bill Diedrich

Looks like a very serious rebuild, I think you are going to like the final outcome of your project,
a Cessna 310 without retracts just doesn't look right. Wish I were a few years younger, I think
I would tackle another Nosen 310, but unfortunately I no longer have the room for anything this
large. I really enjoyed building the last one I had several years back, all balsa with the G & L
Hobbies wing tip tanks and engine cowls on it. Keep up the great work you have going on here,
I'll look in every now and then to check out your progress.

Bill D.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:09 AM
Antares100
My Feedback: (12)

Hi All, been quite a while since I was here. Question for the group:
I have a Nosen 310. How well would an OS90 FS work. I also have 2 Magnum .65. I know I would be better off with larger engines, but have to use what I have.

Thanks in advance,
Antares100
Old 06-01-2021, 10:10 AM
Antares100
My Feedback: (12)

Sorry, forgot to add the 310 is still in the box, I may try selling it but like a challenge.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:27 PM
vmeek

I think I would go with the largest engine you have
You can always throttle back
Old 06-13-2021, 02:55 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Antares100 View Post
Hi All, been quite a while since I was here. Question for the group:
I have a Nosen 310. How well would an OS90 FS work. I also have 2 Magnum .65. I know I would be better off with larger engines, but have to use what I have.

Thanks in advance,
Antares100
I saw Mac Hodges fly his 310 many years ago on what I remember to be 90 four strokes but it took a lot of runway to get it up . Once in the air he flew it like Mac usually fly's . I was lead to believe he later put in some 120's . I would go with at the very minimum a 120 unless you have an unusually long club field or pavement . I powered mine with DLE 30s but DLE 20ra's would be plenty .
Old 06-13-2021, 08:31 PM
Bill Diedrich

Here's my take on your request about whether .65 2 strokes or 4-stroke 90's would be enough to power the Bud Nosen Cessna 310,
you would have to build extra light to make use of the 90 4 strokes, and they would definitely fly the aircraft as stated above, if you had
enough "smooth" runway to get up enough airspeed for lift off and a very shallow climb-out. Back in the beginning when this airplane was
being put to paper by Bud Nosen, the largest engines they had back then was .60 2-stroke engines and retracts were still in their infancy.
Bud did in fact successfully fly the 1st 310 with .60's and still had 310 #1 in his office when he passed way and I think his children that still
run the balsa supply end of the business have all of the original Bud Nosen designs displayed in the building,

Back to the question at hand, with the time it takes to successfully build and outfit a Nosen Cessna 310 you could possibly be able to afford
to purchase a couple of 20cc gas motors or 1.20 or 1.30 glow engines and have a very enjoyable flying version of the kit you own, without
retracts as they can set you back around "one grand" ($1,000) new. So unless you are really committed to spending the time and money
and have the space to build and store this "giant" you would probably come off better selling the kit. Now if it is a 100% original Bud Nosen
Cessna 310 and not the AA Industries die cut kit you can expect to get around $500, if it is the AA Industries "die crushed" kit you might be
lucky to get $250 to $300 for it. The reason I say "die crushed" is that is exactly what they did by not revamping the dies used to punch
this kit out and the quality of the balsa was also some of the worst I have seen in my years of building model aircraft. Most people that buy
the AA Industries kits aren't aware of how bad the cutting and balsa quality was until they open the kit and if you are a serious modeler you
will end up re-cutting and replacing over 40% of the original kit. How do I know, well between myself and my side-kick Pat we have between
us owned somewhere in the region of 10-12 Bud Nosen 310 kits, my first was a true Bud Nosen kit the other 3 were AA Industries. And I am
currently working on and off on a Bud Nosen Mr. Mulligan, an AA Industries kit I have so far replace over 70% of the kit wood and have had
the kit reproduced by a laser cutter.

OK now I can get back to reality...............the final decision is yours.........build it and have fun doing so or sell and life goes on.

Bill D.

P.S.
for larger inexpensive glow engines you might look at these: Kangke Industrial USA Inc.
a bargain at the price for the 130. I have a couple of their 90's and they are very similar
to the Magnum line of engines, a little bit low on the stated HP output compared to say
OS engines but have great low end torque, and run on 0% to 5% nitro.

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 06-14-2021 at 04:00 AM. Reason: additional info

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.