Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Boeing B-9 'Flying Pencil'

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Boeing B-9 'Flying Pencil'

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:30 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boeing B-9 'Flying Pencil'

I am building a Boeing B-9. I am using Cleveland plans(they are for rubber power)as a basis but have drawn my own plans for construction. It will have an 80" span to comply with IMAA rules. Also, it will satisfy Warbird,Golden Age and multi-engine(naturally!)requirements! Power will be 2 OS40fs with Sullivan 4oz. tanks.It will haveRobart 608 mechanical retracts with foam wheelsand bomb drop. I am going to try and use rare earth magnets in some capacity (magnets rotating on torque rod?)for the bomb drop. The whole airplane is to be sheeted and glassed with 0.75 oz. cloth and Z-poxy and then air gun spray doped for color (olive drab and yellow wings- stab). I am putting a T-fitting on the carbs' fuel inletwith a balance pipe between the 2 engines so if one quits the other will soon after. I may use 'idle' glow assist. The right engine will have right thrust. The fuselage is done and the center section is coming along. The templates for the outer panel ribs are sanded to shape. I only need to cut tracings of these templates from stock to build the panels. Each panel will have washout. The ailerons will be cut free after the panelbuild. The engines and gear are maple 'beam' mounted. I will have to mold nacelles and N.A.C.A. Townend rings. I will post pics soon. This should be a nice lazy flying airplane with the 'fat' airfoil section. It should be easy to see and it has enough 'gizmos' on it to keep it interesting without getting bogged down in the build. You don't see these every day!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:17 PM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Boeing B-9 'Flying Pencil'

Let's see those pictures, Arup! Sounds like a great project, and remember, we got to be ready for the Mint Julip 2010! Are you going to put surface detail on this model as well?
Bryan
Old 05-20-2009, 09:22 PM
ARUP

Here are a few construction pics. More to follow very soon. As far as surface detail I can only surmise and follow general trends of the day. I don't have any close up photos of this airplane and any would most certainly be welcome. There is an interesting color scheme on the prototype- broad red white and blue curved stripes(?). It was built as a private, speculative, venture and only after the demo flights did the Army Air Corps purchase it and order a few others.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:52 AM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool A B-9! And it's not an earth shaking 100 pounder! It is "model size". Cleveland plans are a great place to start, I have a few of them I am thinking about.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:05 AM
ARUP

Hi Scale Dail, for some reason the photos didn't upload with mssg but I did put some photos in my 'gallery' for perusal.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Oberfeldwebel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arup, it's looking goooood...love to see guys building and their techniques...
I checked out the pictures in your galley