RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Don Smith B-24 build pics (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/1638605-don-smith-b-24-build-pics.html)

MEMPHISBELLE 03-18-2004 08:55 PM

Don Smith B-24 build pics

1 Attachment(s)
I am starting my B-24 from Don Smith. I am building it from scratch. I plan on powering it with saito .91's . They have proven them selfs on my Smith B-17. I am using upper retract assemblies from cj and lower legs from robart. The nose gear I am building on my own as cj's mnose gear looks weak for a 50 pound plane. Iam using a robo-strut and some thin wall stainless tubing. I am using some pics I took from diamond lil last summer to biuld it. The fuse is framed and about 70%sheeeted , The horz stab id finished along with the vert stabs. I will be cloth covering the control surfaces. I slso am using sacle hinging an asll surfaces.
I will try to keep the pics updated as much as possible.

Wes

MEMPHISBELLE 03-18-2004 09:38 PM

RE: Don Smith B-24 build pics

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the nose gear . I used a byron air scylinder to operate it. It took me a few nights to cut and assemble it. I used a tig and a mig welder tobuild it and I still have to paint it and make some final adjustments.

cruzmissile 03-19-2004 07:59 PM

That is looking really good, got any photos of what it looks like retracted, or action shots of it retracting? Anyways, looks great, keep up the good work.

rustyrivet 03-19-2004 11:59 PM

I'd say 35 to 1, the B-24 is often overlooked for the likes of the B-17, and B-25's and rarely modeled.(ie; I have seen 35 B-17's for just the one B-24 I'll ever come accross at the shows) I'll bet there's no one else in RCUNIVERSE who's ever built this big Don Smith bomber.

It's a shame that America's #1 Bomber and "Liberator" from the great war get's so little admiration from the RC fraternity. I only wish I was in your neck of the woods to witness this model fly in the next year or so when you've completed it. Keep us posted on your progress.

maddog-RCU 04-07-2004 07:28 AM

Any new progress pics on the B-24 MEMPHISBELLE? Enjoying watching your build would like too see more.

MEMPHISBELLE 04-07-2004 12:29 PM

I will try to post some new pics this weekend. Building is a little slow right now. I am getting the wing ribs ready to assemble. I am also finishing the stab and fins. I will keep you posted

Thanks, Wes

MEMPHISBELLE 04-10-2004 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I got tired of waiting for my brother in law and his digital camera. I went to walmart and found one on sale. So bear with me on thye pics till I get the thing figured out. I have some more pics of the rudder assembly showing the scale position of the control linkage. You can also see that I am making all control surfaces with scale hinging. The wires you see sticking out are my hinges. I also have the leading edges of my control surfaces shaped as the fullscale counterpart. It didn't really take much longer to do and looks alot better. I made my own torq rods to operate the elevators out of 5/32 music wire and aluminum tube. I have the wing spars layed out and ready to start gluing ribs down. I will keep trying to post pics with any new progress. I did figure out an estimated wing loading I did get scared when the calculator said 60 oz. per square foot.

Wes

M Gill 04-16-2004 12:04 PM

Randall,

I've never built it, but I have made kits for the B-24. A dear friend of mine, Butch Ames,
is building one and he has put thousands of lightning holes in it to save weight. He intends to fly it with electric.

Someday he might even finish it!

Mace Gill
The Aeroplane Works
http://www.theaeroplaneworks.com

MEMPHISBELLE 04-18-2004 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Buildings still going slow. I have the wing layed out and am making some adjustments. I have set all the ribs with aluminum angle brackets that way they don't move and I can take each one out to final fit it. When everything fits then I remove each one and glue it in place. I will fit the top spar the next night and when it dries I will sand the leading edge straight and glue on the 1/2 inch balsa. I am using 3/32 balsa between the ribs for a leading edge to glue the sheeting to. It helps to hold everything in place alot eaiser. I have decided to make a one piece wing. I can't stand to see a parting line on the wing and I have read to many stories about wing panels falling off in flight. I have 16 foot trailer to haul it in so one piece is no problem. I already have a Smith B-17 with a one piece wing. I do have to splice the main wing spar. In the one picture I have spliced it with a piece of plywood. I then will use some carbon fiber strips to reinforce the joint. I will also ad sheer webbing on both sides of the spar. I will ad more pics when I can.

Wes

frank99 04-18-2004 07:33 PM

how does it feel[&:] to be a craftmans:) that is great work:D

maddog-RCU 04-19-2004 07:41 AM

Wes, Your progress on the plane is great, you sure are a great builder. Keep the pictures coming when you can. Maybe someday I might get the chance too see your B-24 fly, any special events you go to every year? I live in southern Wisconsin hopefully someday we'll meet up somewhere sometime.

MEMPHISBELLE 04-20-2004 08:10 PM

Here's something to think about .I got a little scared when I read the calculator. I figured my wing loading on the liberator. As it looks it will be around 60 ozs. per square foot. My smith B-17 is only 48 ozs. per square foot at fifty pounds. It floats on landings so I guess the liberator will sink like a rock.

Wes

maddog-RCU 07-14-2004 07:10 AM

Wes, any progress on the B-24?

MEMPHISBELLE 07-14-2004 07:49 AM

I have a few new pics to add but have been busy on othe things ( house,kids,wife) you know how that stuff is. I do have bothe wings joined and am getting ready to install the nacelles. I will try to post the pics and such later this week.

Heavy Date 07-14-2004 07:58 AM

Wes,
Glad to see you are still at it. Been toying with the idea of one myself after the B-17 is done, but not sure I want to take on another huge project right away.
Hans

Connery 07-14-2004 09:33 AM

I REALLY like your little angles with the hole drilled for the push pin. Did you just use some aluminum angle stock and cut it into individual pieces? I hope you don't mind if I copy your idea and use it on my next kit.

Tmoth4 07-14-2004 11:20 AM

Great work on your B-24![sm=thumbup.gif] It reminds me of last winter when I was building his Me -110. I'll bet you have to do a lot of head-scratching to figure out how to do some things with his plans.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Jim

MEMPHISBELLE 07-14-2004 12:41 PM

I already have his 110 plans. I hope to build that one next. I do see he has a ju-88 in hiis list of plans. Like I have the time. I think I will order them anyway.

Wes

Tmoth4 07-14-2004 03:32 PM

Wes,

I have the D.S. Ju88 plans and they're very nice. They seem to be more detailed than the Me 110. Actually, I would have prefered the Ju88 but I already had the cowls and canopy for the Me110, and it is turning out to be a good flier, so I'm happy.[sm=thumbup.gif] I really would like to do the Ju88 too...maybe next year. I have two engines that would work in it. I'm gonna have to build an outbuilding in my backyard to store all the models I want to build![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Jim

RAMFlyer 07-16-2004 07:03 PM

:DConnery--I use the same thing. Went to Home Depot (work there in the hardware dept), got a length of 1X1 angle aluminum stock, cut it with a hacksaw, and drilled holes for push pins.

[:@]Guess you could use smaller angle stock if you built small airplanes, but that's NOT my style!!!

MEMPHISBELLE 07-22-2004 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I managed to get back around to building the the liberator. I framed both wing halfs and then joined them . That is where the problem came in. I thought I wold measure the wing panels. Ithen found out one is 5/8 on an inch shorter than the other. I looks as if when the plan was reversed at the printer it shrunk. Not a good time to find out. I added a 1/4 inch spacer between the root ribs and a 1/4 inch at the wing tip. I the spaced the nacelles in the proper location. I am jigging the wing to add the nacelles and should have more pics later tonight or this weekend.

Connery 07-23-2004 09:30 AM

Looking great [8D]

MEMPHISBELLE 07-23-2004 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did get all four nacelles installed lastnight. They all lined up real nice only took 4 hours. I now will start installing the retracts and get ready to mount the wing in the fuse. Here is the next set of pictures.

SilverEagle2 07-24-2004 11:25 AM

Awesome. This will definitely be my next project when I get a bigger house! Keep up the good work and the pics!

Jason

Connery 07-24-2004 07:35 PM

After seeing these pics and since my Dad wants to build a DS B-17, I'm gonna have to build the B-24. OF course that will have to be after I build a Platt P-51A converted to an A-36. :D