RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   cessna 310 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/3765398-cessna-310-a.html)

kzimmerman 01-12-2006 12:05 PM

cessna 310

Hey guys,
I just traded a local fellow a .52 surpass for a 120" span cessna 310. I don't know anything else about this bird, he bought it from someone else, who bought if of someone else, etc. It had a pair of 26cc gas engines on it, havn't tried to start them, but the fellow said they were no good. He said he believed the plane was a .60 originally, so I was wondering if a pair of supertigre .75's would fly the plane. It seems like it would need more, but I don't want to overpower it.
thanks.
Kurt

Edwin 01-12-2006 12:43 PM

RE: cessna 310

Sounds like a Nosen 310. I've only seen one at a swapmeet and it was big.
Edwin

Robby 01-12-2006 01:41 PM

Kurt,
The 26's will fly it well..
If you change it out to .75's I suspect that with the required
weight to install the 26's that it may not be much fun..
My best suggestion would be to send the motors to Ralph
Cunningham who is RCIGN1 on RCU and have him go thru
them if you thik they are not up to snuff... Seldom does
a gas engine go bad or wear out... Fuel cost is a TON
less..

The original Nosen 310 was listed as a .60 / .90
plane in the 60's.. On .90's it would fly ok and
thats about it.. These planes do fly VERY easy
and of course have a major pucker factor ... :D :D :D

Does it have retracts..? Flaps...?

Post a couple pics of it.. ok.. ;)

kzimmerman 01-12-2006 02:38 PM

It's got flaps, I was thinking of redoing it with retracts. I have just recently got back into the hobby, and don't plan on flying it until I get a little more experience ( just like my showtime 4d ;) ). I can rebuild the 26's with no problems, a freind of mine is a professional small engine mechanic and can get the parts for me with no problems. The guy I got it from said it was flying with 14x8 props, does that sound about right? My experience is with 2 and 4 stroke glow engines, this would be my first gas plane. The fuel economy is a good consideration, as the nearest real hobby shop is a two hour drive away. I'll try to get some pictures, but I'll have to borrow my future mother in laws camera to get some shots. It'l take me a while to get em, but I will next week.

Thanks for ur responses!

Bipeguy 01-12-2006 06:22 PM

kz.....There's lots of info out there on the Nosen 310. I have one I haven't started building yet but plan on doing this winter yet.(yea,right!) I have a pic of a friends 310 that I will attach. He and his son each have one. One has OS120's on it and the other has G23's. They both prefer the 23's. It's a very good flying airplane. See "Twinmans" articles on how to fly a twin, they are very helpful.

The 26cc engines sound like Zenoah's and I think they were designed only a couple years ago so I wouldn't think they would be in bad shape unless they were terribly abused.

Good luck.....bipeguy

Robby 01-12-2006 06:49 PM

Kurt,,
If the engines ARE 26cc,, I would wonder if they are
airplane engines.. Most airplane engines in the 26cc range
use 16X8 to about 18X8.. With a 14X8 prop on a 26cc
engine it would be making a LOT of RPM... I would
suggest you check to be certian of manufactor and size
of the engines..
As Bipe said,, the G26 powered Nosen 310 is a great
combination.. I would guess the one with OS is a lot
lighter and depanding on how it is proped might be
a tad faster... Just remember, fast is not always fun...

If those engines are Homelites or that type of engine
they a re very heavy for the power they put out..
You would do much better with a real airplane engine..

And again, these planes fly VERY easy and make a trainer
seem hard... :D :D :D :D

kzimmerman 01-13-2006 10:41 AM

I believe that they are homelite 26cc engines, but there is no indication on the engine as to what they really are. Went and flew my rascal last night, and the fellow said they spun 18x8 props, and that she flew real well with that combo. I also have a nib saito1.50, thinking about picking up another one and using them instead of gas, I guess it just depends on what happens when I fire up the 26cc gassers. Gonna try to do that this weekend, will let everybody know how it goes.

PILOT RD 01-15-2006 03:47 PM

I have one I'm working on and will have my G-23's on it. Not too much longer and i'll be glassing on it. RD

jet time 01-17-2006 07:25 PM

I am looking for one RTF in the So. Calif. area or one that can ship. Anyone know of one?
Thanks in advance,
jet time

PILOT RD 01-17-2006 09:11 PM

Greg at G&L Hobbies is about to produce a glass fuse/foam core wing version similar in size to the Nosen 310. Got to be easier than carving one out of a block of wood.RD

vrpro 01-22-2006 10:53 PM

Well I have a 310 with all fiberglass parts, Tips, cowels and cotpit kit. New in box as well as MANY MANY other items. Just posted it in RCU for sale. Anyone want a list and picks email me at [email protected]. Thanks