RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   KMP F-7F Tigercat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/4814227-kmp-f-7f-tigercat.html)

jbwilhelmi 02-17-2008 09:09 PM

RE: KMP F-7F Tigercat

Just slid all wing panels together. Joint not perfect but not terrible either. Has anyone used self tapping screws or bolts to pull the sections together while the epoxy sets? Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.
Thanks
Jack

n9331v 02-17-2008 09:17 PM

I installed blocks of wood on the inside if the wing and engine cell for the inner section then epoxied and bolted using a blind nut this work very well for me. On the outer wings I made mine removable I again installed blocks of wood then used a blind nut with nylon wing screws then I installed a wood plate between the wing skin and the wing tube, I then drilled thru the wing and tapped the wing tube and use a bolt for this. Its like my BME Ultimate but stronger. This way I can leave the center section and engine cells on and when I get to the field I just install the outer wings.

n9331v 02-17-2008 09:21 PM

Hey thanks for the pictures of your tank set up it looks great it should help.

Ed

CHARLES WINTER 02-17-2008 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Ed. I'd be glad to get the Spring Air mains from you. I would not take them "For Free". Tell me how much would be fair price and add postage and I'll send you a check tomorrow. You can wait for my check or send the retracts now/tomorrow. My address is -- Charles Winter 535 W.N. Bearcreek Dr. Merced, CA. 95348. Phone # (209)723-9328 Call me if you have any questions. Let me know how much you want and your mailing address. Thanks. PS A few pictures of a Prop I layed-up for NASA for a Mars Landing Vehicle. Another great story!!!!!!!

Col. Chuck Winter

n9331v 02-17-2008 11:38 PM

Chuck, I will get them out to you Monday or Tuesday. When you get them make sure you like them first ( You Should ) then send whatever you feel ( Not Much ). Just happy to see you use them on your very nice F7F instead of the stock weak mains.

Ed

chasrb 02-18-2008 06:39 AM

N9331v, I have the Sierras and they are very stout! It's a joke to put the originals and the Sierras next to each other... I am going to keep the KMP retracts - I was going to throw them away, but figured I'll have a trike plane that is under 15 lbs someday.

Not a flame here, but an observation. As good as the Sierras are and for the cost one would think that the air kit with all the connectors and tanks would be included. IT IS NOT!! It's another $80 plus dollars. I cannot figure that one out. I looked at all the other mfg of retracts and they ALL come with air(conection) kits and usally cost almost a 1/3 to 1/2 less.

Again no flameing intended just FYI. Having said this, Darrell is a realy helpful guy and the product is top notch especially the nose gear. I talked with Darrell last week about the missing air kit, he said he'd look into it, however, he never mentioned that they come with his retracts sets unless you order them.

chasrb 02-18-2008 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: n9331v

I installed blocks of wood on the inside if the wing and engine cell for the inner section then epoxied and bolted using a blind nut this work very well for me. On the outer wings I made mine removable I again installed blocks of wood then used a blind nut with nylon wing screws then I installed a wood plate between the wing skin and the wing tube, I then drilled thru the wing and tapped the wing tube and use a bolt for this. Its like my BME Ultimate but stronger. This way I can leave the center section and engine cells on and when I get to the field I just install the outer wings.

Can you provide some photos of the setup with the wing setup you did?

Thanks

n9331v 02-18-2008 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some photos

n9331v 02-18-2008 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I cannot get pictures of the inside wing at the wing tube location.

It works better to use the nylon wing bolts from hangar 9 you do not need a screwdriver to use them.

n9331v 02-18-2008 08:16 PM

The third picture above shows the wing being bolted together with a blind nut during the epoxy stage this also helps as a anti rotation pin.

As far as the outer wing I used the nylon bolt and blind nut mainly as a anti rotation pin, then drill and tap the wing tube for your bolt size. Do not forget to epoxy some ply between the wing skin and the tube before bolting.

chasrb 02-18-2008 09:51 PM

Thanks N9331v, the photos were helpful!

n9331v 02-20-2008 02:12 PM

Charles I just got the main retracts packed up today I will get them out this afternoon, sorry for the delay.

Ed

CHARLES WINTER 02-20-2008 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Ed. Sounds good. I'm ready to fly my T-Cat as soon as I'm satisfied with the main gear operation. My nose gear retracts easily at 40 psi. My modifications on the nosegear system appears to be good. I did a lot of taxi testing and Brake testing and I'm satisfied with these systems. PS I have enclosed a few pictures of another project. I had to "Lay-Up" a 7 blade propeller for a US Navy project. It was to test "Stealthing" -- reducing the noise of tail rotors on military helicopters. You can see the prop I made in APC advertisments in many Model Magazines. The CNC aluminum mold is UNBELIEVABLE. You don't want to know the cost of the engineering and mold manufacture..

Col. Chuck Winter

chasrb 02-20-2008 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: CHARLES WINTER

Hi Ed. Sounds good. I'm ready to fly my T-Cat as soon as I'm satisfied with the main gear operation. My nose gear retracts easily at 40 psi. My modifications on the nosegear system appears to be good. I did a lot of taxi testing and Brake testing and I'm satisfied with these systems. PS I have enclosed a few pictures of another project. I had to "Lay-Up" a 7 blade propeller for a US Navy project. It was to test "Stealthing" -- reducing the noise of tail rotors on military helicopters. You can see the prop I made in APC advertisments in many Model Magazines. The CNC aluminum mold is UNBELIEVABLE. You don't want to know the cost of the engineering and mold manufacture..

Col. Chuck Winter

Sooooo I guess if we want some really scale props you da man! LOL

fytrjok 02-22-2008 01:38 PM

I'd love to see an efficient 3 bladed prop...like the APC 2 bladers.

n9331v 02-22-2008 02:42 PM

charb as you said the Siera are awsome.

Just got my Siera yesterday so installed the nose gear last night took about an hour. I really like the steering on the nose and zero play. Got them painted today. I like them so much I ordered them for my P47. Thanks for the post I also ordered the air kits with the gear. Anyway now I see why they cost a bit and well worth it.

jbwilhelmi 02-22-2008 03:00 PM

Mooney - Please post a picture of nose gear. Plan to start on the nose this weekend.
Thanks
Jack

n9331v 02-22-2008 03:10 PM

I will take some this afternoon.

n9331v 02-22-2008 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jack here are the pictures.

When I cut the wood I made it a total of 33mm wide then cut slots for the nose steering arms and pull pull cables to pass through. The wholes for the cables look bigger in the picture than they actually are

CHARLES WINTER 02-23-2008 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi T-Cat builders and Ed Martin. Received Spring Air main retracts from Ed Martin. Had to turn down my struts a few thousands to fit the Spring Air retracts. Installed the retracts in my airplane and tested retract pressurer. It took 60 PSI for full retraction. At 100 PSI I could get 2 full retract cycles. Much better than the original retracts that took 120 PSI to get 1 full retract. Thanks Ed for your help. I'll have some $$$ in the mail tomorrow.

Col. Chuck Winter

CHARLES WINTER 02-23-2008 10:10 PM

T-Cat Builders --- Should have mentioned that the previous pictures show in the second picture an additional small spring that fits inside the main spring. This HELPER spring will help in holding the weight of our T-Cats

Col. Chuck Winter

n9331v 02-24-2008 11:23 AM

Chuck, happy to see they worked out for you. The helper spring you made is another very good idea.

Ed

VKerster 02-25-2008 12:51 PM

N9331, AFTER LOOKING AT YOUR WING SETUP FOR HOLDING ON THE OUTER WINGS, I WOULD RE-THINK THIS SETUP AND BEEF UP THE BOLTS(STEEL) AND ADD MORE OF THEM. GLUING THE PANELS TOGETHER PRODUCES A VASTLY STRONGER WING ASSEMBLY. USING JUST ONE NYLON 1/4 20 BOLT ON EACH SIDE LOOKS WEAK. THE T-CAT IS HEAVY AND FAST. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE, 28 LBS AND 65 OZ PER SQ. FT AND 100 +MPH, YOU DON'T WANT THE WING PANELS COMING OFF.

n9331v 02-25-2008 01:10 PM

Vkerster

After looking at it last weekend I did change to steel bolts, one 4-40 on the wing tube to keep the wing sliding out and the other that replaced the nylon on the inside of the cell. On my 32 lb 37% Ultimate the only thing that holds each wing on is one 4-40 bolt per wing that goes through the wing into the steel tube. The system I came up with like you see in the pictures is the only one I could come up with. If you guys have any other ideas I would be interested in hearing them, I sure dont want a wing to come off and risk hurting someone. .

Also vkerster when you flew the F7F how did it react when you raised the gear during flight and retracted it during flight? Was any pitch change noticed? Also did you add any elev mix with the flaps or gear?

VKerster 02-25-2008 10:04 PM

N9331V, YES, THE PLANE DID PITCH UP WHEN THE GEAR WAS RETRACTED. ( BALANCING THE BIRD WITH THE GEAR RETRACTED IS ABSOLUTLY MANDITORY). THE GEAR RETRACTING NEEDED TO BE SLOWED DOWN, I THINK THIS WOULD HELP THE ABRUPT PITCH UP. A LITTLE DOWN ELEVATOR GOT IT LEVEL. I DIDN'T HAVE TO DO ANY MIXING WITH THE ELEVATOR AND FLAPS. THE FLAPS REALLY SLOW THE PLANE DOWN, THROTTLE MANAGEMENT IS IN ORDER HERE.