RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   ASM P-61 kit Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/5364231-asm-p-61-kit-build.html)

Jimmy Bananas 02-03-2007 06:34 AM

ASM P-61 kit Build

Just got my ASM P-61 kit the other day, but won't start working on it until next week..Waiting to get the servos, engines, and a few other goodies first..Planning on putting Mag 52's 4-strokes in it....Also will use their retracts..They won't be available until mid Feb...Kit looks good, but a few changes will be made..Fuel tanks are 280cc, which equals 9.47 ozs...Going to try to put a bigger tanks in it's place...

The nacelles will get re-enforced with 4 oz cloth, and 30 minute epoxy thinned...also the front of the firewall will get done too...One thing I did notice...The plastic clear canopy, front and rear, are NOT glued in..this will have to be done by the builder...That seems as if that might take a few minutes,hours or days, whatever...Really not looking forward to that......

One thing I wish the people who make this plane ,that they exercise quality control..The covering is pretty well scratched up and dull in quite a few areas...looks like I'll try some simonize auto rubbing compound and see if i get rid of most of them...Will let you know what happens....

Their are a few other things that I don't agree with,but will mention them as I go along..Trying to fit some pictures in here....

Here are a few pictures..hope this works

PS: Not working right will try later

Jimmy Bananas 02-03-2007 09:34 AM

RE: ASM P-61 kit Build

1 Attachment(s)
here are some pics

Jimmy Bananas 02-03-2007 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
some more pics

Jimmy Bananas 02-03-2007 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more.............

foodstick 02-03-2007 11:39 AM

Dang Jimmy...the way you have it all layed out I feel like I could start building it from here.

Kmot 02-03-2007 01:39 PM

Yeah, nice job of laying out the parts! [sm=thumbup.gif]

tank tiger 02-03-2007 06:47 PM

nice kit ..but any design look like from VQ P61 ...last two year ago untill now www.vqwarbirds.com

Black Drape 02-04-2007 01:55 AM

Jimmy

How are you going to reinforce the nacelles, I have not had good luck getting glass to stick to ABS. I have this kit also, but won't get started on it for a while. It's gonna be fun trying to glue the "glass" in. Do you have any ideas about pilots? That looks like a lot of glass, not to have something underneath of it.

Ron

Jimmy Bananas 02-04-2007 02:57 AM

Ron:

I used 30 minute epoxy..seems to be sticking pretty good...the top of the nacelle is no problem to glass..the bottom is something else...dropped the class cloth in and then position it in place with a wooden dowel,then when it is right,add a few drops of thin CA to keep it in place ..use short stripes 1-1/2" ...I used a magnetic mirror to make sure the glass stripes were in place..can get one at an auto store..BTW, have you looked at your wheels for the main gear? One of mine is round and the other is flat bottom....have tried to contact Hobby People, but no luck.. Right now, they are down at the LHS...Just in case yours are the same way,wanta trade?....Nice to have both that are the same..........Right now, am working on the elevator servo..my servo lead will be coming out on the right side of the stab....I see no problem there...Am using a HS-225 mg servo..fits good....take care and good luck

sabrejet 02-04-2007 07:41 PM

Those pictures look great! I wanted to buy the ASM P-61 Black Widow through Hobbypeople. But they have been back-ordered for months!

Jimmy Bananas 02-06-2007 04:54 AM

Sabrejet:

Sorry to hear you haven't got yours yet...Am progressing pretty good..Just got my engines yesterday,so will be working on that part this week...Have flaps and ailerons installed..waiting for my low profile servos.so I can set up the ailerons...Right now, am trying to decide what fuel tanks to install...the ones with the kit are 280cc,which equals 9.4ozs. american ozs.....Is there a chart or something on here,that a person can check to see how many ozs. a engine burns per minute?.....Can install a Hayes 11 oz tank in it...have to groove out the former a little bit, where the fuel tank fits....A little added insurance never hurts,especially on a twin engine plane..Will take some pics and post later.........................

Jimmy Bananas 02-06-2007 09:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Here are some pics of the engine and fuel tank set up..The one tank is the left boom,is a Hayes 11 oz. tank..The other in the right boom is the 9.4 oz tank that came with the kit..There is a 6.0 battery pack under the fuel tank in the left boom..tight fit, but acceptable...haven't made up my mind yet on which tank to install...Decisions, decisions,decisions here...want to make the right one...any suggestions?..Enjoy the pics

Jimmy Bananas 02-06-2007 03:28 PM

Already found the answer to my question in regards to fuel used for an engine...9.4 ozs.will be enough a Mag 52 RFS 4 stroke...thanx anyway

Jimmy Bananas 02-07-2007 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the left boom, with the engine installed..also motor and rudder servos..Bracket made out of .032 brass for the kiwk fill valve...everything fits pretty good for now...will work and finish up the right boom tomorrow....Retracts are due in the next couple of weeks, I hope..can finish up the rest of it in the next 4-5 days and then wait for the retracts...

Black Drape 02-09-2007 12:28 AM

Jimmy

did you find out anything about those gear door actutaters? I think they must be included with the gear, because they are not mentioned in the fixed gear instructions, but neither are the gear doors. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks
Ron

Jimmy Bananas 02-09-2007 04:15 AM

Ron:

You may be right...maybe the actuators are included with the retracts...My LHS is checking it out for me...As of yesterday, no word from Hobby People...I did get my new wheel the other day,so I got a pair that matches...Just glued the hinges on to the rudder and then inserted the rudders on the plane...so far, so good....as soon as I hear something about the actuators, will contact you...As for the pilots,probably get Hanger 9 WWll ones in either 1/9 or 1/10 scale..They have to be painted..Have them in my B-25 and they look very good............BTW,retracts are suppose to be available the middle of Feb....wait and see attitude here......Not going to hold my breath on the due date....Catch ya later

Jimmy Bananas 02-09-2007 05:36 PM

Ron:

OK, here is the skinny..just got an e-mail from Kyle at Global hobby. He thinks that the actuators parts come with the retracts. I hope he's right...The retracts are due in the 1st part of next month (March)....Thats it in a nutshell......Have only a couple of more days left to work on the plane,then will set it aside and wait for the
retracts and actuators......Got the rudders hooked up,and it works pretty good...hoping to get the low profile servos for the ailerons today....If they get here, will finsh the ailerons...Have to mount the cowls too...When this is done,will take some pics....Until then, enjoy..............................

Black Drape 02-09-2007 09:05 PM

Jimmy

sounds good about the actutaters. How are you going to get pilots under that canopy? Have you tried to get the glass out yet? I got a couple of OS 52 FS for mine and the elevater servo, but I have a couple of other projects I have to get done before I can start mine.

Ron

Jimmy Bananas 02-11-2007 03:23 AM

Ron;

About the pilots...good question..don't know yet how I'll get the pilots in..right now,am putting on the cowls..have one done,going for # 2..Also put a cheater hole in the bottom of the cowl..cowl fits the nacelle pretty tight..Very little air is going between them......Have tried to get the glass out, but to no avail...going to have to study it a little more before I try to remove it...Have ordered 3 WWll pilots 1/10 scale from Hanger 9... # Han 8353....They need to be painted...Got the rudders on.....will take some pics and post later.........................

Jimmy Bananas 02-12-2007 03:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Here are a few pics with the booms and stab attached....weighted the booms,with engines ,servos and fuel tanks..

Right boom: 40.1 ozs
Left boom: 39.9 ozs

total 5.0 Ibs

Going to start on the center pod now..install radio,and all those crazy leads...shore would like to have those retracts now.....Planning on putting a redundent system in..will see if I can put the battery packs under the fuel tanks.................Later

Jimmy Bananas 02-13-2007 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here are some more pics:

# 1 shows the hatches in the top fuse cover in place

# 2 the cover in in place

Am installing radio,switches, and servos now............more later

Jimmy Bananas 02-13-2007 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
looks like a P-61 now.....................

Kmot 02-13-2007 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Bananas

looks like a P-61 now.....................
Sure does! It looks almost finished too, just add outer wing panels. ;)

Jimmy Bananas 02-15-2007 03:52 AM

Kmot:

Yep, got the wings on and it do look good.....not finished yet..waiting for the retracts also have to glue the plastic window shell to the window frames..Front and rear canopies...Have a few ideas on how to do it without having a mess...engines are out of it and going to install them, in a Harmon Rocket and break them in, one at a time...We still got snow and cold weather here,so it'll be a few months before I can get out and fly...So until then,it's build and get the planes ready for spring......Read your post on the AM-1 Mauler...I assume you can install retracts with out much of a problem...Probably robarts...anyway,back to the P-61..............Later

Black Drape 02-16-2007 01:37 AM

Jimmy

So fill us in on how you plan to glue the windows in, that is the part of model building that I hate worst. Have you had any luck getting them out so we can put some pilots in? I have an old Topflite P47 that is just about finished and a Hots about half recoverd then I can start on mine.

Ron