RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   OV-10 Bronco 81" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/566432-ov-10-bronco-81-a.html)

Telemaster 56 03-16-2008 07:10 PM

RE: OV-10 Bronco 81"

Need some help on installing the retractable nose gear on my Bronco. I bought the SpringAir set from Rich and it's a nice set.

I've never built a plane with retractable steerable nose gear before and I'm wondering what kind of mechanical linkage others have been using to connect the nose gear servo to the bell crank on the nose gear? How did you guys do it so that it works well and doen't kink up or bind up when the gear retracts?

Also the kit included a small black plastic block with an angle cut on one side and a short wire sticking out of it. I beleive this to be a "centering wire/block" to keep the gear in the middle when it retracts and the steering goes slack? Any help would be much appreciated.

Gord

Fili 03-16-2008 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Gord, dont know if you can see what you need to see from my pics. I had to install the hardwood block you see on the right to keep the gear from binding when retracted. I just ordered the scale struts from Lenny, I'm not sure if I'll have to do any mods, but this configuration has worked for the last few flying seasons....

CanDo 03-16-2008 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gord, I did something similar on my smaller Bronco with Spring Air retracts. Note, the nose gear retracts forward on my model. The nose retracts worked fine with the plane inverted, but it would hang up when the plane was right side up. I added a small piece of plywood near the servo that hooked over the pushrod to act as a stop. (Sorry the picture isn't better quality!)

Telemaster 56 03-17-2008 11:00 AM

Thanks guys!! I never thought of doing it the way you guys did. I thought the clevis/control arm would bend when it retracted but having looked at your pictures I can see the control arm would swivel on the clevis. Good stuff. The pull/pull thing was the only thing I could think of.

Again.. thanks!!

Gord

Fili 03-30-2008 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just got my retracts from Lenny at www.shindinmachine.com

moldmaker 03-31-2008 07:09 AM

There is a set of Sierra retracts for the OV-10 for sale in the warbird section here on RCU nice scale set . Looks like they are well made .
Thanks

CanDo 03-31-2008 09:55 AM

Hey Fili, what's that white stuff on the ground?
FYI, I got my hands on a set of Shindin and Sierra Precision retracts for the Bronco. In my opinion, the Shindin "retracts" (landing gear/struts) are beefy and a good deal, especially if you already have the Spring Air "retracts" (actuators). If you're in need of both landing gear and actuators, the Sierra Precision "retracts" would be my first choice because they are well designed, lighter, and plenty strong. Unlike the Spring Air actuators (air up/spring down), the Sierra Precision actuators are air up/air down. I believe both designs will give you good service for many years.

fancman 03-31-2008 10:32 AM

I believe if you've already purchased the Spring Air retracts as called for with the kit, the actuators will be sized for 3/16" wire and not suitable for the 3/8" Shinden struts. Will have to get replacement actuators.

Fili 03-31-2008 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: fancman

I believe if you've already purchased the Spring Air retracts as called for with the kit, the actuators will be sized for 3/16" wire and not suitable for the 3/8" Shinden struts. Will have to get replacement actuators.

The Shinden struts fit nicely in my Spring air actuators......I do, however need to get stronger springs.

aeroscale 03-31-2008 05:50 PM

The latest version of the Spring Air units for the Bronco dispense with the drilled 3/16" holes and are supplied with a drilled 3/16" insert so you can either use the bent music wire or aftermarket struts of your choosing.
AEROSCALE

fancman 03-31-2008 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: aeroscale

The latest version of the Spring Air units for the Bronco dispense with the drilled 3/16" holes and are supplied with a drilled 3/16" insert so you can either use the bent music wire or aftermarket struts of your choosing.
AEROSCALE
Now I got it. I had the old Spring Air's with the 3/16" hole.

CanDo 06-23-2008 10:34 AM

Gentlemen, I finally can get back to finishing my Bronco, but I need some ideas for setting up my Sierra nose gear steering. What is your favorite way to set up the pull-pull cables to ensure they don't get tangled in the retracts? What do you recommend to keep the nose wheel straight while it retracts? Any ideas and pictures would be appreciated. (I flew my smaller OV-10 a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it so much, now I have to finish my 80" Bronco!)
Thanks much, Les

...Too much work, not enough fun!...

Wayne22 06-23-2008 12:07 PM

The easiest and simplest way to keep the pull pull lines out of the way as the gear retracts is to use rubber bands to pull them away from the moving parts.. I have tried other methods, but the rubber bands work the best. Most retractable nose gears have a centering spring -either inside the strut, or mounted externally (I haven't seen the sierra units) They usually are not that strong, but seem to do the job......

fancman 06-23-2008 01:03 PM

I ran my pull pull cables through short pieces of straw. Attached to the straw were very weak springs/rubber bands anchored to the side of the fuse. This worked and was cheap to do. Picture on post #347.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5003097

FliteMetal 06-23-2008 02:20 PM

I am assuming you know to use Kevlar fishing line instead of mono-filiment for this as it has no shape memory to cause it to tangle in the retract mechanism. I've always fed through a bulkhead from the servo area using a McDonald's soda straw which can extend into the retract bay without being an issue since it is a pliable sheath for the Kevlar line. If the retract mechanism comes in contact with the straw it simply pushes it aside and doesn't snag as it would on loose threads. Remember to install Kevlar thread only after measuring the proper length for taunt pull-pull action without binding when the gear is "down".

Just an idea

CanDo 06-23-2008 03:44 PM

It is amazing how much knowledge is readily available. Thank you all for your help!
-Les-

FliteMetal 06-23-2008 04:14 PM

Please forgive me for assuming you were going to mount your nose retract in a scale location vs
the sport scale location used by many people. If you will be using a McD soda straw sheath then
it will be further in the nose wheel bay. Placing it over to one side will be important to get it out
of the way of the nose strut. I would drill a hole the size of the straw OD in a 1/4" thick ply gusset
to serve as a hard point near the end of the soda straw to support it's nearly 45 degree angle to
the nose strut tiller arms. CA will not stick to the polyethene straw...but will to the ply gusset. If a
CA accelerant is used around the polyethene straw if will make the straw brittle and fracture... : )

As for your comment about knowledge in return on your inquiry.... It has more to do with what
each and everyone discovered was not proper until they reached a satisfactory solution. AKA Tom
Edison...paraphrase.

fancman 06-23-2008 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used 20 lb test Fireline fishing line. It has no stretch at all and the tube is actually some outer nyrod tubing.

FliteMetal 06-23-2008 04:54 PM

With Kevlar thread (fishing line) the Kevlar is not effected by temper nor temperature of the tension nor environment within a plane as will be the case over time for any mono line based fishing line. Affixing the Kevlar is as simple as tieing a simple bait twist loop and applying a single drip of thin CA to form a bullet proof pull pull line attachment. Tri-lene fishing line will fail with excess heat and
it is more difficult to secure a non-slip attachment. Most people will run the Kevlar as a pull-pull as a continuous single thread from a servo double tiller arm.

Run the Kevlar thread to the nose gear tiller arm through one side attached by a minnow hook, the same for the other side...back at the servo double tiller arm you need only go through the outside hole on the double tiller servo arm...then wrap the Kevlar thread around the servo arm set screw under the washer to secure it in place. I have seen people use an eye ended all thread brass rod turned in a swivell at the nose strut tiller so it can be adjusted. This is not necessary as you can simply adjust the rudder offset to line up the nose wheel at "0".

I assume the polycarbon could be captured at the servo the same way with use of a second washer.

fancman 06-23-2008 04:59 PM

I don't know what Fireline is made of but it has served me well for quite some time on the nose wheel steering. I'm also using it for pull pull rudder on my 1/5th scale Topflite Mustang. This stuff is tough.

fancman 09-25-2008 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Fili

Minutes after landing!
Your plane is being used in an EBAY add now. This guy was using a picture of mine but when I asked him about it in a message he took my picture off and began using yours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Giant-Scale-OV-1...QQcmdZViewItem

fancman 09-25-2008 11:29 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Giant-Scale-OV-1...QQcmdZViewItem

Is this guy legally selling Bronco plans

FliteMetal 09-25-2008 12:14 PM

Hey Rich....gotta love it... ;)

aeroscale 09-25-2008 01:44 PM

Can any of you identify this character? I'd sure like to have an address to which my attorney can send information regarding the sale of copyrighted material and intellectual property laws. Nick Z., Don Smith and other designers whose also are selling their ORIGINAL versions, not to mention the magazines in which these designs may have been published, might also be interested. The thing that really amazes me is that the folks he sells this material to give him "100% positive feedback"! "Nice plans", "great service"..........how about unmitigated gall, lack if conscience, and rip-off artist?
AEROSCALE

FliteMetal 09-25-2008 02:27 PM

Folks:

Its sad when we find these things because you the modelers are the ones who suffer the
greatest when designers decide its not worth the effort any more because Uncle and the
Whoever don't care about copyright law.