RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   OV-10 Bronco 81" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/566432-ov-10-bronco-81-a.html)

gsmith6879 08-19-2010 08:53 PM

RE: OV-10 Bronco 81

ORIGINAL: Destroyer of Airplanes

Has anybody out there installed retracts on an 80''ws where the nose gear retracts forward. I need some advice on steering linkage. I am using Spring air retracts.

Paul
Paul,

I've done it both ways. I used the Springair on the first Bronco and had it rotate rearward (easy setup). I used a Robart actuator on my second Bronco and had it rotate forward like the full scale. I'm sure there is a way to do it with the Springair but done know how you would make the steering arm work. Maybe place the steering servo in front of the gear up in the nose? I use a pull/pull on the Robart but I'm still not real happy with the set up.

Good luck.

CanDo 08-20-2010 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used Spring Air retracts for my smaller Bronco with the nose gear retracting forward. I'm sure it is a similar set up for the bigger Bronco (I used pull-pull steering on my 80" Bronco). Note, I needed to make a plywood stop that hooks over the push rod. Without it, the retracts would bind. I plugged the nose gear into a different receiver channel than the rudders. This allowed me to set up the mixing so the nose steering didn't function when the gear was retracted. This set up has been working for over 8 years now.

Destroyer of Airplanes 08-20-2010 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys,

Here are a couple of pictures of where I'm at. I used a 100 degree spring air retract. I had to compensate for the trailing arm on the landing gear by tilting the landing gear bulkhead aft. Having to locate the gear where I did to get the wheel fully inside and get the gear doors closed took a while. What that left me with is a challenge as how to steer this thing. Currently my thinking is to keep everything forward of the bulkhead since my flight batteries are butted up to it on the back side so putting a steering servo there is my last option. I did order a Robart spring and steering collar. It would be a simple modification. The interesting part will be running the cables. I have a couple of ideas there. The Spring Air steering arm seems to be the simplest if I can find the correct place to put the servo. CanDo your picture was worth a thousand words. It never occured to me to mount the gear horizontally.

I'll keep plugging along I appreciate you two taking the time to comment. I'd be glad to hear anything else you have to say.

Paul

CanDo 08-21-2010 10:50 AM

It looks like you are on the right track, you just have to hook up the servo linkage and move the servo back and forth in the nose until you find the sweet spot (where the gear can move full range and not bind up). On mine, the clevis attaches to a piece that slides up and down on the retract's steering arm as the gear moves up and down. When the sliding piece didn't hit the stops, my servo was in the right location.
-Les-

CanDo 01-13-2011 07:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
-OK, it's only been 3 years since I started this project; I won't bore you with all my excuses! The bottom line is I finally did the maiden flight on my 80" OV-10 last Sunday. Since I have a fair amount of time flying my smaller Uravitch Bronco, I can now give you a comparison of the two planes. I bought the ARF to speed up the build, but because I'm picky, probably 1/3 of the plane now is ARF, the rest is highly modified or scratch built. The goal was to have a plane that is easy to transport and easy to assemble at the field, so I made a 3 piece wing. I wanted enough power to bring the plane home on one engine, so I chose OS .91 4-strokes for motivation. The gear is Sierra Precision, and I must say they work and look great. Since my plane is more "Sport Scale" than "Scale", keeping it light was more important than scale detail. The final dry weight is 19 lb and static thrust is ~17 lb.
-Having built the kit and flown the smaller OV-10 really paid off; nearly everything I learned on the smaller Bronco applied to the bigger one. I moved the main gear forward to improve rotation on takeoff, replaced the horizontal stab, elevator, and fuse tail cone with lighter balsa pieces to reduce nose weight, and reduced the control throws to help keep me out of trouble.
-Just like the smaller one, this is a very smooth flying airplane. Both planes are solid designs, both fly very well. I think the 80" Bronco is a little easier to fly, but that's just my opinion. If you haven't flown a twin before, the Twinstar or something similar would probably be a good place to start. With my setup, the bigger OV-10 has a very mild stall, it will do a loop with a little over 1/2 throttle, and there were no trim changes. The recommended CG was right on, and I have to say Rich's design will result in a very nice flying twin engine aircraft. With 4 flaps, plane really slows down to a crawl, I had to remind myself to increase the throttle on final. Otherwise, the landing was uneventful. I have to say this is one of my easier planes to fly and land, plus it's a real crowd pleaser!

Fili 01-13-2011 12:58 PM

Congrats CanDo!

CanDo 01-13-2011 04:18 PM

Thanks Fili. I burned out several times during the build because I kept modifying things, but folks like you kept me going. Thanks!
-Les-

Twin_Flyer 01-28-2011 01:05 PM

Looks Great CanDo!

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere in the last 28+ pages of posts, but Rich now has a 109" Bronco as well!!

SPAN: 109"
LENGTH: 107"
WEIGHT: 52 lbs.
WING AREA: 2226 sq.in.
POWER REQ'D: 38-50 cc (GAS) or Hacker A60-16L
NO. OF CHANNELS: 6+

http://www.richuravitch.com/rubaseline_013.htm

Bill S.

BadLemon 01-30-2011 02:31 PM

Twin Flyer

Go back one page and look for post # 686, Rich U. him self talks about the new Giant Bronco plans and there are pic's as well. I sent him an email on a due date for the plans. I want a set for the future but right know I'm gathering parts to build a new 81" Bronco. The funny this is on Uravitches web-site it states that all plastic parts are on hold. I wonder what happen? I hope nothing bad... I really like his kits!

Twin_Flyer 01-30-2011 05:38 PM

I have his small one, built from plans, but not by me. I have the plans for the 81". Eventually I will build it...

Love the way the small one flies. I have two OS .25FX engines on it.

Bill S.

BadLemon 01-30-2011 07:28 PM

I had others tell me that the 52" and the 81" fly very similar but the 81" handles better because it is bigger. I was thinking about buying the 52" ARF and power it with some electric motors but then I crashed my 81" ARF and decided to buy plans to build a new 81" and scale it out. The 81" can handle a wide range of engines from a 45 2-stroke "if you build it light with fixed gear" all the way up to 91" 4 stroke. BRONCO'S KICK-IN! @$$!

BadLemon 02-04-2011 09:21 PM

Well I had something unbelievable happen today. A friend called me he was at a local public home auction out of town and found a single RC plane kit being auctioned off. He said he recognized that it was a Rich Uravitch 81" ARF the same one I use to have and wanted to know if I wanted him to bid it. I said well Hell Yes! I do. Well the RC Gods Shined on me! today. He won the bid for only 80.00 Dollars![X(] So it looks like I'm going to have 2 Bronco's know, I'm gathering parts and material to build a 81" kit and do some scale hop ups on it. So I guess I'll build the ARF kit as well. My friend to me the to canopy is broke and the rear former has a piece broken but that was all he could find. S o he is going to drop it off tomorrow on his way home. I post some pic's of this unbelievable find.

BadLemon 02-05-2011 08:12 AM

To start off with this thread was started 02/18/2003 so on the 18Th of this Month this thread will be 8 Years old! [X(] Wow I bet Rich Uravitch is proud of his design. Some kits just fade away But Rich Uravitch's OV-10 Bronco will LIVE FOREVER!

HAPPY 8TH. BIRTHDAY OV-10 BRONCO 81 THREAD!:D

gsmith6879 02-05-2011 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: BadLemon

To start off with this thread was started 02/18/2003 so on the 18Th of this Month this thread will be 8 Years old! [X(] Wow I bet Rich Uravitch is proud of his design. Some kits just fade away But Rich Uravitch's OV-10 Bronco will LIVE FOREVER!

HAPPY 8TH. BIRTHDAY OV-10 BRONCO 81 THREAD!:D
I didn't realize that the design was that old. I think the full scale Bronco is a great design and Rich's model design is a perfect twin. We have a small club here in Oklahoma and there have been 8 kits cut from his plans. I have built 2, a friend has built 2, 1 is under construction, 1 is on the shelf waiting for time to build, and 2 were sold to a guy in Kansas (I think). And there are 2 of the ARFs also flying in the area. If you ever build and fly one of these designs you will fall in love with it the first flight.

Thanks to Rich for a great design.

BadLemon 02-05-2011 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I was woke up buy my Beagle howling at someone knocking my door at 6:30AM this morning. It was my buddy coming back form his road trip to drop off my Bronco he found at an auction for me. First I have to make him coffee and pancakes for breakfast, that was the payment for delivery charge. Pretty steep but I paid up. luckily his wife called and he had to get home so I went over the kit and this is what I found. It did have a broken canopy but a clear replacement was below it! And it does have minor damage to the back of the fuselage but can be fixed. I then noticed a landing gear arm sticking out the paper rapping. I found a complete set of sierra retracts and Robart valve system in the kit as well. This is too good to be true. See pic's

Fili 02-05-2011 11:09 AM

Sweet deal Badlemon! Its' snowing like crazy here,so i just wanted to stop by and say THINK SPRING!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEOyhvIUYbA

Twin_Flyer 02-05-2011 11:34 AM

Wow, what a steal! I did not know the large one was available in an ARF...

I will have to look at that.

Bill S.

gsmith6879 02-05-2011 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: BadLemon

Ok I was woke up buy my Beagle howling at someone knocking my door at 6:30AM this morning. It was my buddy coming back form his road trip to drop off my Bronco he found at an auction for me. First I have to make him coffee and pancakes for breakfast, that was the payment for delivery charge. Pretty steep but I paid up. luckily his wife called and he had to get home so I went over the kit and this is what I found. It did have a broken canopy but a clear replacement was below it! And it does have minor damage to the back of the fuselage but can be fixed. I then noticed a landing gear arm sticking out the paper rapping. I found a complete set of sierra retracts and Robart valve system in the kit as well. This is too good to be true. See pic's
A real steal!! You should have served you buddy a T-Bone Steak and Eggs for Breakfast:)

BadLemon 02-05-2011 06:47 PM

Twinflyer

Yes they do still sell them as well and the 52" arf was well here is the link http://www.hobbyhangar.com/newhh2_002.htm

fili

I can't believe how must snow you guys are getting up there I remember reading the Farmers Almanac that the Eastern States was going to get above average of snow fall but I never thought it would of be that much Gsmith6879 have been talk about the 11" of snow Oklahoma and 20 " Illinois just got. Today I just got my cleared on snow. I've even been snowmobiling today what a great day it was! Back to the Bronco I still can't believe that my buddy found that kit. He has only seen it once. But his head is always in to stuff like that he's a real American Picker! We work together a lot buying and selling anything from Coke signs to pinball machines. I mainly repair pinball machines and arcade video games. If you look in my pick I posted you will see a Mrs. Pacman and a Last Action Hero Pinball machine. My wife says I have too many

Gaines
Your right I got away cheap on breakfast and the bronco arf. I'm still going to build my wood kit and scale it. I want use a Marine scheme on the Bronco to Honor my son USMC L/CPL. Cody Lemons.

multimike 02-05-2011 07:16 PM

RE: Bronco

I fly one with 2 91 Saito FS and it is AWESOME, one engine quit and I had no trouble getting it back on the strip, it flys like it is on rails, the only time I scared myself was when I did a high speed low pass and pulled straight up and ran out of go and with no prop wash over the the raised tail it was suddenly sliding backwards with no elevator authority until the nose dropped, watching it come in on an appoach, down and dirty is worth all the effort to build it Mike

BadLemon 02-05-2011 09:05 PM

My last Bronco arf had the same OS 91's as well never had a engine fail but I did have glow igniters on it. I lost it while inverted I had no response at all the throttle went wide open and went straight into the ground total loss. I trashed everything except the retracts mains they where spared.

dragonbuilder 02-10-2011 06:33 AM

gg

dragonbuilder 02-10-2011 06:37 AM

Hi all,I just finished my Bronco.It has OS 75ax power,Sierra retracts,Dynamic Balsa cockpit w/2 12" pilots[only had to add 4 oz of nose weight] Can't wait till spring to fly.

BadLemon 02-10-2011 06:43 AM

62dave37

What was your total weight? I was thinking of going with a cockpit kit but didn't know how much weight that would add. You know you got to post some pic's of your new bronco!:D

BadLemon 02-10-2011 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a decision to start my Bronco Arf build but first I'm going to do something Different. I spent a few hours last night trying to take out the wrinkles in the covering This didn't work out so well. It seems like the glue is no longer holding I could pull off the covering with little to no force at all, I also found a few cuts as well. So I'm going to strip the the bronco and re-cover it with a Military Green scheme. See pic below. I will post my build of this arf lets see if we could keep this thread alive for 10 years! 8 Days to go and this thread will be 8 Years old! Last week I sent a PM to Rich Uravitch aka aeroscale letting him know how old this thread will be. He sent me a reply last night. Below was his reply

"Thank you very much. I really hadn't realized that the thread had been alive that long! I'm glad R/Cers are enjoying it. Just finished a second 109" version and I think I'll stop the scaling up process there. Should probably start looking for a surplus 1:1 version next!
Again, thanks!
Rich"