RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   OV-10 Bronco 81" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/566432-ov-10-bronco-81-a.html)

gsmith6879 03-27-2012 05:38 PM

RE: OV-10 Bronco 81

ORIGINAL: warbird51

Gaines,

That is a neat installation for your batteries. I was under the impression that it took about 2 lbs. in the nose to balance the OV-10. I was planning on using the batteries in the nose instead of adding lead to balance. It look's like your batteries are on the C/G or very close. Are your batteries tied together, or does each motor have it's own batteries seprately?

Wayne
Wayne,

If you keep the tail feathers light you can balance the Bronco with the receiver batteries if you put then way up in the nose. If you can put your power batteries in the forward section of the fuselage then that would about assure the Bronco will balance without extra weight. I was warned off of using long leads from the batteries to the ESC. So I chose to put the batteries in the nacelle. I have since found that that is not quite the problem that was originally reported.

My system uses 2 sets of 2 four cell packs. That gives me 8 cells in each nacelle and they are on the CG. If you look at the photo of the insertion of the packs you can see that I have 2 four cell packs fastened together with double backed servo tape and those run in series to give me 29.6 volts nominal. This set up worked well for me but more experienced electric guys may have a better way of getting the power to the ESC and Motor.

Gaines

Ron101 03-28-2012 07:26 PM

Hey Ron here is a link to my reworked KMP, there is a bit of work to get the boxiness out of it as well as redoing the canopy and retracts, after all of that I glassed it. I am flying mine on 2 Power 110's from EFlite with CC PH.85 HV's on 8s 5000 spinning 16x10 3 Bld. props. I saved all my templates for the changes so it would speed up the proceees a little.If you can find one they have good bones just needs a little Scale Work, it is post 109...Don
Looks great low show!! really nice
I can't find one any where... I did contact ESM in china and they said they would bring up the idea of making a run of them
So maybe if all the bronco lover send them and email they will go for it

For the time being I'm just building other stuff and hoping Rich will make plans for his big bronco

Gains!! looks great!!
hey sorry I was off on the props there.... but good to test a few and see what works
great build and really glad to hear it flew so well

have fun with that baby!!

warbird51 03-28-2012 09:52 PM

Ron,

American Eagle Aircraft Co. has listed on their web site that they have fiberglass booms and center fusealage available for the 81" OV-10. You might want to check it out.

Wayne

aeroscale 03-30-2012 03:20 PM

Very nice job, Gaines. Good luck and many great flights with it!
Rich

gsmith6879 03-30-2012 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: aeroscale

Very nice job, Gaines. Good luck and many great flights with it!
Rich
Rich,

Thanks. Again, a great design and a a great flying twin.

Gaines

TXAG96 04-26-2012 04:07 AM

Anyone here any updates on the plastic parts for the Bronco? I am looking to start the build this year but don't want to get into it if I can't get a canopy.

Black Drape 04-26-2012 07:14 PM

Hey Rich

I too am about ready to start on the 80 inch Bronco, and am wondering about the plastic parts. I have been flying your little Bronco for several years and absolutely love it. I take it to all the fun fly events I go to and it is always a hit. I flew it last weekend at our field and everyone stops what they are doing to watch it. If the big one flys half as well as the small one I am going to be a very happy camper.

Thanks
Ron

CanDo 06-07-2012 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, if you have Sierra Precision gear, periodically check the threaded cap on the strut to verify it isn't backing out. I had the cap unscrew after a "firm" landing and noticed my plane was leaning when I taxied back. I sent the gear in to Darrell, he checked it out and reassembled it, so it's working fine now. I inspected the other main gear and it was also starting to unscrew, so I put a little blue thread sealer on the cap's threads. All is well now. Happy flying!
-Les-

Black Drape 06-09-2012 08:21 PM

Hey Guys
I have a couple of questions I would like to ask. Is it ncessary to use lite ply for the wing ribs. I can se using it where the wing tubes go, but why do we need it for the rest of the ribs? And, I would like to know what modifications are needed to the formers to put the Sirrra retracts in. It will be a while before I can order mine. but would like to start building.

Thanks guys
Ron

gsmith6879 06-10-2012 04:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Black Drape

Hey Guys
I have a couple of questions I would like to ask. Is it ncessary to use lite ply for the wing ribs. I can se using it where the wing tubes go, but why do we need it for the rest of the ribs? And, I would like to know what modifications are needed to the formers to put the Sirrra retracts in. It will be a while before I can order mine. but would like to start building.

Thanks guys
Ron
Ron,

I've built 3 of these and used the specified light ply in the first 2. I replaced most of the light ply with balsa on the last one and did save a bit of weight but not as much as I had hoped. If I ever built a 4th, I would use the light ply on the fuselage and nacelle sides and 1/8" balsa for all of the ribs. You really don't need the light ply at the wing tubes.

Other builders here may have some better advice based on how they built theirs.

Gaines

Black Drape 06-10-2012 08:06 AM

Hey Gaines

Thanks for the information. There is one othere thing I forgot to mention. If anyone haas a new uncut canopy that they could send to Craig at Fibeerglass Specialties, he said he would make a mold and start pulling canopys for us.

Ron

gsmith6879 06-10-2012 08:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Black Drape

Hey Gaines

Thanks for the information. There is one othere thing I forgot to mention. If anyone haas a new uncut canopy that they could send to Craig at Fibeerglass Specialties, he said he would make a mold and start pulling canopys for us.

Ron
Ron,

I talked to Craig about a month ago and he said then that he didn't want to mess with the canopies. I can get my hands on one but didn't want to send it to him if he was not interested. I'll call him in the morning to see if he has changed his mind.

Gaines

Black Drape 06-10-2012 01:33 PM

Hey Gaines

That would be great. I just asked him about the parts and he said he would do it if he had the canopy. Won't hurt to talk to him.

Thanks
Ron

aeroscale 06-12-2012 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Little help here, guys. The continued (and future) availability of plastic parts, including canopies, for my OV-10 is dependent purely on finding a supplier willing to produce the parts. I have production quality (read $$$) aluminum molds and they have spent more time traveling around the country than I have. Lots of companies are capable of providing the service but I'm afraid you guys would not be willing to pay the price they want in small quantities. If any of you know of companies willing to undertake the task, I'm all ears. I'm not talking about your fellow club member who just retired and has a shop vac that's not doing anything and is thinking about going into business. The level of quality I'd expect is the same that you would demand for the price you'd pay.
I've been trying to secure a supplier for quite some time now and it hasn't yet been fruitful.
Would love to hear from you.

Rich

AmishWarlord 06-12-2012 05:13 PM

Rich I'm shocked your having this much trouble with a simple part.
Is this a case of the companies running off business like when well
established brick layer wants $3,500 to make a brick mail box when
the Mexican guys will put one in for $300.

What did the RC plastic companies like,

Custom Injection Molding Technology, Inc
14325 Commerce Drive
Garden Grove, CA 92843-4949

have to say?

AmishWarlord 06-12-2012 05:20 PM

I saw this one here in NC but I don't know anything about them.

http://www.texlonplastics.com/molding.htm

aeroscale 06-12-2012 05:33 PM

I haven't contacted those two specifically but my guess is that if they respond at all they'll tell me that they require a large run order to make it worth their effort. All that I've contacted seem to fall into the "$3500 bricklayer" category......
Haven't given up yet though; just looking for some fresh ideas from fellow modelers!

gsmith6879 06-12-2012 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: aeroscale

Little help here, guys. The continued (and future) availability of plastic parts, including canopies, for my OV-10 is dependent purely on finding a supplier willing to produce the parts. I have production quality (read $$$) aluminum molds and they have spent more time traveling around the country than I have. Lots of companies are capable of providing the service but I'm afraid you guys would not be willing to pay the price they want in small quantities. If any of you know of companies willing to undertake the task, I'm all ears. I'm not talking about your fellow club member who just retired and has a shop vac that's not doing anything and is thinking about going into business. The level of quality I'd expect is the same that you would demand for the price you'd pay.
I've been trying to secure a supplier for quite some time now and it hasn't yet been fruitful.
Would love to hear from you.

Rich
Rich,

I'm going to jump in here with my opinions (and probably get Bar-B-Cued for them). Over the years since you published the design, I have bought 9 of your canopies for the 81" Bronco for me and friends building this great design. We still have 2 uncut that we are hoarding. If I remember correctly you were charging about $12.50 plus shipping for them. At the time I thought that was ridiculously cheap for the quality we were getting. Now that I have started producing my own molds and canopies for various other scale projects I can truthfully say $40-50 for a quality canopy would be a great value. The only guy I know personally that could produce a quality canopy is Craig at Fiberglas Specialties but I'm sure there are others out there. If I were you I would look for the quality in small quantities and hit us with the price. You might be surprised what the market will bear.

Gaines

jbarnes 06-19-2012 09:31 AM

I'd be happy to pay for a canopy at the $50 level. I've got an open air OV-10 ready to fly, I need a canopy BAD. Plus, I'm really irritated at those Hobby Hanger guys. When I ordered my kit they told me not to worry the plastic parts will be here soon. They are probably still telling their customers that same story. All the parts are currently available at Fiberglass Specialties except the canopy. Someone please send them a canopy so those of us still in a bind can purchase one from them. Jerry.

TXAG96 06-19-2012 09:55 AM

I bought the plans with the intent of doing a dual build with a buddy. We intended to have two of them electric powered. I will build my own landing gear but without the canopy we won't even start the project. I am not looking for museum scale here. A canopy with minimal details would be fine on this sport scale airplane.

Where do plan sellers like Ziroli, Meister and Jerry Bates get their canopies from?

I have never heard a bad thing about the design and flying qualities of this plane. It is a shame no one can get canopies.

gsmith6879 06-19-2012 10:13 AM

Guys,

I just got off the phone with Craig at Fiberglass Specialties and he has reluctantly agreed to make a mold and pull these canopies for us. When I say reluctantly he doesn't feel there is enough demand to justify the cost of the mold and setup to do these larger canopies. He is doing this as a favor for us. He warned that there would be some minor loss of quality when copying a canopy like we are asking him to do. So we shouldn't expect the same quality that would be obtained from Rich's machined and polished aluminum mold. I will get one of the canopies in our club mailed to him early next week and will follow the progress with Craig.

Gaines

BadLemon 06-19-2012 10:28 AM

Gaines

If Craig is asking for a list of buyers for this canopy put me on the list also if you can't get get a canopy I do still have 1 of Rich's untouched if you need it for the mold.

On a side note I did see your Bronco in the picture setting behind the remains of your Birddog you took with your buddies paying their respect to the fallen. Did you get a chance to fly the Bronco that day?

Doug

AmishWarlord 06-19-2012 10:42 AM

Don't we have an exspincive aluminum mold he can use?

jbarnes 06-19-2012 10:49 AM

Thank you Gaines for stepping forward to take care of this for us. Jerry.

gsmith6879 06-19-2012 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: BadLemon

Gaines

If Craig is asking for a list of buyers for this canopy put me on the list also if you can't get get a canopy I do still have 1 of Rich's untouched if you need it for the mold.

On a side note I did see your Bronco in the picture setting behind the remains of your Birddog you took with your buddies paying their respect to the fallen. Did you get a chance to fly the Bronco that day?

Doug
Doug,

Craig is doing this on faith. Will probably sell a few canopies as soon as they are available and then 1 or 2 a year. Not going to get rich!

The Bronco flew at the event before and after the Bird Dog crash. I'm really liking the 9 cell batteries on those 90 size motors.

Gaines