RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Hangar 9 produced the Twin Otter! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/9477023-hangar-9-produced-twin-otter.html)

JoeMamma 05-05-2010 07:50 PM

RE: Hangar 9 produced the Twin Otter!

1 Attachment(s)

What problems did you find with the installation of the Power 32s?
Not to bad.

The real Twin Otter that Hanger 9 used as a model has 3-blade props. The spinners are painted white, and the prop tips are painted red and white. I wanted to achieve that scale look. TruTurn makes a custom 3-blade spinner with all of the adaptors to fit the Power 32 perfectly.

First, I cut a square opening in the firewall to allow more air flow into the nacelle (see picture). The original firewall has no opening at all.

The supplied Power 32 "X" motor mount was a little bit large for a direct fit to the firewall, so I had to make up a pair of motor mounts out of hardwood. I then bolted my new wood mounts to the original Power 32 "X" mount.

Most of the fellahs running Power 25's found it necessary to add nose weight to achieve proper CG. With the added weight of the 32's I'm hoping to achieve proper CG without adding any extra nose weight. I'll be checking my CG for the first time tomorrow.

Joe M.

JoeMamma 05-15-2010 06:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got her all done.

Some of the changes I made to my Twin Otter:

1. A removable rudder tray.
2. A magnetic top hatch.
3. Opened up the firewalls for extra cooling.
4. Modifications made so I can assemble my Otter on its wheels instead of inverted.
5. 12 gauge jumper harness used for parallel wiring between the two lipos'.

Some scale-like features I added:

1. Landing lights in leading edge of each wing.
2. Flashing red beacon on top of rudder.
3. Red and green wing tip lights.
4. Two flashing anti-collision lights.
5. Nose gear landing light.
6. Two pilots.
7. Floor for pilots.
8. Bulkhead behind pilots.
9. Windshield wipers.
10. Tail skid at bottom/rear of fuselage.
11. Two pilot steps below each front door.
12. Pitot tube mounted to right/front side of fuselage.
13. Three-blade props with correct red and white prop tips.
14. Three-blade TruTurn spinners painted white.
15. Exterior door handles on pilots doors.
16. Door outlines on pilots doors.
17. Door outline on right cargo door.
18. Six different fuselage mounted exterior antennas.
19. Dual antennas at top/sides of rudder.
20. 98th FTS (Flying Training Squadron) logos at both top sides of rudder.
21. Air scoop at front of left pilots door.
22. Painted wheels.

All-Up-Weight with a pair of 4-cell 3300's came out at 13 pounds 5 ounces.

I got in the maiden flight and two extra flights. They were right..........it flies and performs just like a big ol' trainer.

Joe M.

SteveD-RCU 05-15-2010 09:20 AM

Congrats Joe,nice job..

JoeMamma 05-15-2010 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: SteveD-RCU

Congrats Joe,nice job..

Thank You Steve.:D

We're having our yearly electric powered event on Sunday the 16th. Hope to get a few more flights on her.

My only regret is not putting a nice pair of 4-strokes on her.............would have sounded great !

Joe M.

fly3789 05-19-2010 09:17 AM

hi, i have hangar9 twin otter, with a pair of os .35ax, but i am thinking to install a electric motors, i have not any exp. is any setup that can you recomend, and also can i fly at list 15 minuts if i used the 25 size motors.
thanks
jesus escobar

JoeMamma 05-24-2010 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: fly3789

hi, i have hangar9 twin otter, with a pair of os .35ax, but i am thinking to install a electric motors, i have not any exp. is any setup that can you recomend, and also can i fly at list 15 minuts if i used the 25 size motors.
thanks
jesus escobar

No experiance ? The Twin Otter may not be a good aircraft to get you started into electric power. There is just to much to explain, plus, it's a twin.

To get you started into electric, and if I could suggest, get yourself a flat foamie or some sort of small electric powered aircraft that uses a small motor and a low-cost power setup.

Like anything else, electric power is just another "learning curve".

Joe M.

THOR-RCU 09-28-2010 06:01 PM

Hi Joe, Nice job on the Otter. Just pick one up but not shore if i should go gas or electric . I was looking at the Evolution Trainer Power System.
.45 CU IN . i THINK IT MY BE BETTER with more power.. Can you give me any help on this...
Matt

JoeMamma 09-28-2010 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: THOR-RCU

Hi Joe, Nice job on the Otter. Just pick one up but not shore if i should go gas or electric . I was looking at the Evolution Trainer Power System.
.45 CU IN . i THINK IT MY BE BETTER with more power.. Can you give me any help on this...
Matt
Thank You for the compliment.

Will this be your first twin ?

Joe M.

bigjim195944 09-28-2010 08:52 PM

I did have to chance to fly the Otter with one engine disabled last week. It was a bit of a handful but very predictable as well. I had one of my motors disassemble itself during a hard run and bind to stopping. I declared deadstick and brought her in with about 25% flap and one prop stopped (no controller damage presumably because I throttled way back when I realized I had an issue). I went motors off as I approached to get the yaw out as I came to the ground and taxid out much to the dismay of the gas guys that were upset at me for calling deadstick when I had one functional drive, but I wanted the big 3D stuff NOT buffeting me as I landed. I have not had a chance to do repiars yet but expect to be an easy fix as the motor does turn after cooling.

Pulling to full power only added a few mph to her compared to 30% as I have been flying her. More power just uses more energy and does NOT seem to produce any fast plane results. At full throttle she just climbs uncontrollably and gets strange. High power is nice for bolters and VERY fast launches (15 feet but just looks wrong, much nicer with scale takoffs at 45% throttle) on less than nice runways but seems to have been a waste otherwise, it just has too much drag to go fast.

I am getting 10 - 15 minutes with good throttle management as well, could be better with smaller motors, maybe the next time I revisit this bird. For now working on a Hanger 9 60 sized P51 with .78 two stroke power and tuned pipe.

JoeMamma 09-28-2010 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: bigjim195944

I did have to chance to fly the Otter with one engine disabled last week. It was a bit of a handful but very predictable as well. I had one of my motors disassemble itself during a hard run and bind to stopping. I declared deadstick and brought her in with about 25% flap and one prop stopped (no controller damage presumably because I throttled way back when I realized I had an issue). I went motors off as I approached to get the yaw out as I came to the ground and taxid out much to the dismay of the gas guys that were upset at me for calling deadstick when I had one functional drive, but I wanted the big 3D stuff NOT buffeting me as I landed. I have not had a chance to do repiars yet but expect to be an easy fix as the motor does turn after cooling.

Pulling to full power only added a few mph to her compared to 30% as I have been flying her. More power just uses more energy and does NOT seem to produce any fast plane results. At full throttle she just climbs uncontrollably and gets strange. High power is nice for bolters and VERY fast launches (15 feet but just looks wrong, much nicer with scale takoffs at 45% throttle) on less than nice runways but seems to have been a waste otherwise, it just has too much drag to go fast.

I am getting 10 - 15 minutes with good throttle management as well, could be better with smaller motors, maybe the next time I revisit this bird. For now working on a Hanger 9 60 sized P51 with .78 two stroke power and tuned pipe.
Glad to hear you got her in OK !

I guess I've been pretty lucking with electric motors. I haven't had a failure....................yet ?

My fleet is divided.......about 50% gas/glow and 50% electric.

What brand/type of electric motor are you using ?

Joe M.

thailazer 11-15-2010 05:38 AM

FLY3789..... How about a report on how your Twin Otter flies with the OS35's. I expect pretty darn well! I sure am envious of you guys on this thread that can get this beautiful airplane! Still waiting for a dealer here in Thailand to stock them as the duty is just too high to get one shipped in from stateside.

kthmarks 01-10-2011 09:57 AM

I am seriously considering this plane and would be going with glow engines. From a previous thread apparently Saito 40's fit well. Based on that dimension it looks like a few models of the OS FS would fit as well (I am a 4 stroke junkie). My only complaint about the design of this plane is the nose....and well, choice of finish.

While this plane is modeled after a DHC 6-300 (pointed nose), the rounded nose of the DHC 6-100 profile is WAY more aesthetically pleasing IMO. It looks like some rework on my part is in order.

JoeMamma 01-10-2011 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: kthmarks

I am seriously considering this plane and would be going with glow engines. From a previous thread apparently Saito 40's fit well. Based on that dimension it looks like a few models of the OS FS would fit as well (I am a 4 stroke junkie). My only complaint about the design of this plane is the nose....and well, choice of finish.
This Otter thread here at RCU didn't take off as well as the Otter thread at RCGroups. Plan on spending a couple of evenings reading 1394 posts on 93 pages !!! A lot of great information. The link I supplied is to the last page number 93. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...859171&page=93

Although I went electric on the Twin Otter, I'm also a "4-stroke junkie". Nothing sounds better than a pair of 4-strokes running in unison !

I recently picked up the Top Flite Cessna 310. Going to use a pair of OS .72's for power. A great, very long thread for it here at RCU ! Some fantastic information to help me along.

I just realized I'm also a twin junkie.......got 5 now.

The real Twin Otter uses turboprop powerplants. The one thing nice about going electric with the Twin Otter is the sound. I'm running 3-blade props on mine and they have a whiney turboprop-like sound. It seems to sound more scale while flying.

You mentioned a choice of finish. If you do a search, there are hundreds of nice pictures of Twin Otters for you to scale out.

Joe M.

kthmarks 01-10-2011 03:16 PM

Joe,
Thank you. I will start reading. I see in one of the early postings (on the other board) where I am not alone about preferring the -100 model (round nose). It's just a nicer looking profile.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. BTW....we've got about 6"of snow here in Atlanta today......you guys up north......CAN HAVE IT! ;o)

thailazer 01-10-2011 03:32 PM

kthmarks..... A snub nose would be a pretty quick project. Get some blue dock-billet Styrofoam, carve it to shape with a saw and a sure-form rasp, and then fill it with microfill before you put on a layer of light glass. I had my whole fuse carved out and micro-filled in one evening. Sat in a lawn chair next to the full scale ship as I did to make sure I got the lines right.

JoeMamma 01-10-2011 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: kthmarks

BTW....we've got about 6''of snow here in Atlanta today......you guys up north......CAN HAVE IT! ;o)

SNOW ? Ohhhhhh....noooooo..........the dreaded "S" word.

I'm about 40 miles north of Detroit. So far this winter, we have only had one big snowfall..........about 4-5 inches maybe four weeks ago. Very unusual for this area. Glad you got it instead of me.:D:D

So..........are you still planning on the -100 conversion ?

Joe M.

bigjim195944 01-10-2011 06:04 PM

Hi all, Joe sorry for the LAG here, life happened. I had not been in the air since September till this past weekend. Got the bug all over again...

I use Turnigy motors (VERY cheap asian stuff) On the Otter I have the C5045-890kv turning 12x8 props. I will back down The pitch to 6" on the next flight. The 8" pitch just seems to heat things up and offers no benefit as the plane just does not have good high speed charachteristics.

BTW it is white here till April. I have purchased a set of aluminum skis and will be trying them out this weekend.

kthmarks 01-10-2011 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

So..........are you still planning on the -100 conversion ?

Joe M.
If I build one it will definitely be a -100. I like the camo version in the pic below.

kthmarks 01-11-2011 07:09 AM

ORIGINAL: thailazer

kthmarks..... A snub nose would be a pretty quick project. Get some blue dock-billet Styrofoam, carve it to shape with a saw and a sure-form rasp, and then fill it with microfill before you put on a layer of light glass. I had my whole fuse carved out and micro-filled in one evening. Sat in a lawn chair next to the full scale ship as I did to make sure I got the lines right.

Thanks for the info!

slopoke 04-08-2011 06:16 AM

Just assembling my twin otter, have learned a lot from the thread.

I am using 4 Saito .40 engines. The throttle linkage was a problem as the throttle arm is against the firewall and in the middle of the engine. I used a 2-56 x 3/4 bolt to extend the arm out to align better with the throttle wire.

I don't have it finished but it looks good.

Slopoke

kthmarks 04-08-2011 09:13 AM

POST PHOTOS!

slopoke 04-09-2011 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more time

slopoke 04-09-2011 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The problem:

slopoke 04-09-2011 12:12 PM

Pushrods hooked up

slopoke 04-09-2011 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Uploading photos is as confusing as my wife. Here We go again.