Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

Artic Cat Green Snowmobile Mod

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Artic Cat Green Snowmobile Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 PM
darksideofasaucerfulofsecrets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Artic Cat Green Snowmobile Mod

GREEN Artic cat.
Stripped stock electronics

Replaced with oil filled shocks.

Added a cheap futaba servo with futaba round servo horn and drilled holes to match stock steering linkage.

Working on drive-train, has broken screw mounts and other cracks that need super glue.

Had to superglue track also had dozens of hairline cracks and a few small cuts.

Installed losi lipo compatible ESC 12T limit behind servo with velcro.

Installed hi-tec FM rx behind left ski and ran antenna wire down length of seat for now.

Will try running losi 12T 550 motor, I know it won't have enough torque or speed but it will beat out the stock setup by far I hope and these were all extra parts I had . Just need pinion to match up with gears and to finish drivetrain.

Any suggestions on pinion or anything welcome

Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 PM

Default RE: Artic Cat Green Snowmobile Mod

Purchased robinson racing 14tooth 48 pitch pinion and mounted it to losi 12T brushed motor.

Drilled holes in drivetrain housing for pre-existing holes in motor and slotted the drilled holes to adjust gear mesh.

Don't know anything about fiberglass, so Ire-enforced everything from drivetrain housing and mounting tabs, to mounting posts and everywhere I thought pressure would be exerted with Super glued three layers in most areas to increase strength and prevent cracking.

Greased plastic gears and RR pinion. Had to zip-tie drivetrain halves back together because two of three screw holes were cracked/broken beyond repair.

Cut small hole in track tunnel in order for motor to barely clear front, and back half of motor rests on tunnel for support.

Changed placement of receiver to corner and mounted losi 12T limit LIPO compatible ESC directly on top of receiver (HIDING NEAR ALL WIRES) and providing a very clean looking install.

TOOK OUT FOR FIRST TEST DRIVE TONIGHT

Gears were a little noisier then I hoped but held very well. Drove out 1300mah of lipo being fairly agressive and no problems. Shocks performed well. Rolled at speed cornering due to fat plastic rider making it top heavy, will have to replace with foam rider mod i've seen..

For being all cheap parts i'm impressed with its speed. Couldn't hit top end and NOslipping of belt yet. My drive cog looks much better than ones Ihave seen pictured on rev-xp etc. Mine has twice as many ribs or whatever you would call them to grip track.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63762.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1852995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32731.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1852996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13885.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1852997  
Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM

TOOK OUT FOR SECOND TEST DRIVE THIS MORNING. Took to fresh snow at a large flat area to hit top end. VERY IMPRESSIVE. Ten minutes into second battery pack, RRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Haven't taken it apart yet, but I am just sure that my I stripped my new RR metal pinion
Just kidding, must be the plastic gear that converts pitch from 48 to 32. Will have to replace pinion and the first plastic gear with 32 pitch pinions as TECHYJOE has done if I can get a few more details on how to mount the 1/8" cut drill bit..

GRRRR and I was just getting into some high speed corners and full speed straight aways having fun...
Old 02-17-2013, 10:13 AM
TechyJoe

Sounds like you did a nice job on your buildout.

Getting these sleds working really good does take some experimenting and some part failure.

As for the axle for the conversion gear: just purchase a single 1/8 drill bit (should work better then 3mm) from Home Depot (for a dollar or so). Cut it to size, just using the smooth shaft part and round off the cut end with a dremel or sand paper.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:30 PM

Will take another pic or two when I take it apart again to post here. I understand about replacing the axle that the gear rides on with smooth part of drill bit, but does the axle get placed into the exact same holes in drivetrain housing that the nylon gear axle came out of or does it get its own holes? Hole obviously has to be widened but where does hole go to ensure good gear mesh with nylon gear and its neighboring metal gear, above, below or in same hole as old axle?

Wouldn't have even gotten this far without your posts and youtube video!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 AM

BUMP** Where does the metal gear conversion axle get placed, in same holes?
FRESH SNOW AND BROKEN SNOWMOBILE with freshly adjusted oil filled shocks and lower center of gravity.

Going to make a trip to town and the hobby shop (45 min. drive) and get gears with 32 pitch day after tomorrow.

Also have decided to do track mod with metal tabs to eliminate track slipping, but mine will end up with 2x as many as rev-xp version since my Arctic Cat has twice as many contact points and will need twice as many metal tabs....

Name:	Om33562.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1854330   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43109.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1854331  
Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 PM

Didn't strip any gears, actually broke the transmission housing that holds the axle in place for the 32/48pitch gear. Had to rebuild it completely on one side with superglue.

Replaced rod with 1/8" drill bit shaft cut to length and installed 14T RR&Traxxas pinions 32 pitch each and re-assembled. After this serious gear reduction, I lost all low end torque with my Losi 12T brushed motor only powered by 7.4v lipo. I know very little about gear ratio and what it does..

Also made track slip like crazy when trying to reach top speed. Took out 32/48 gear and widened it to 1/8+ to fit on new 1/8" axle and re-installed 48p pinion just to restore low end torque for now.

Name:	Ge95288.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1855120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62111.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1855121  
Old 03-01-2013, 07:16 PM

Broke transfer case housing again for first plastic gear after motor pinion. This time it stripped my 48/32P gear, rebuilt housing again and re-inserted 1/8" shaft, 14T traxxas & 14T RR pinions both 32P re-inserted also.

Installed track-slip mod on drive cog.

Now none of my brushed motors will turn the track freely. At full throttle they bately turn the track and it sounds like it is binding. Can't find where it is binding at, not in transfer case, and none of the screws are TOOtight..

Im about ready to give up on this since all snow is starting to melt for the season anyways and since I can't get this figured out...

Any suggestions from first hand experience out there?
Old 03-09-2013, 06:05 PM

Problem was old brushed motor, have newer hpi brushed motor now with the 4.2 to 1 gear ratio using RR pinion and traxxas pinion and the other two stock nylon gears built as above.

Installed ebay led lights wired in series plugged into 9v battery under hood for night runs

Cut notches in hood for air inlet and not air exhaust since I have experienced thermal shutdown now from esc heat once ..

Also modified ski's to much longer, wider, taller skis from an old interactive polaris snowmobile. Had to use brackets off of arctic cat and mod them to fit skis from the polaris. Great fit for the last bit of snow melting of the season. Snow was very soft and big skis kept me on top at full throttle.

All snow is GONE now, guess I will wait until next season when snow returns.

Also replaced g.i. joe figure with foam figure in G.I joe clothes. Also cut gloves and helmet off of stock rider to use on foam rider (they look FAR BETTER than any helmet I could find/paint on ebay or flea markets and the gloves are perfect match as well. Foam rider with coat hanger skeleton to form arms/legs and hold on gloves. Head was filled with hot glue and coat hanger rod inserted like a spine. Then slide spine rod into foam rider.

Turned out good for now. Also have oil filled rear shock now but no pics.

Name:	Fd91933.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	1860088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39786.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1860089  
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 PM
trx young gun

I have two of these exact models modde one is brushless and one brushed, if you need any help with anything let me know... i also noticed u live kinda by me.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the offer trx young gun did you ever get your track replaced after "snapping" it in another post here on the universe?

Considering the sled what transmission mods have you made and what gears are you running on the brushless and brushed setups?

Also, I work in Salt Lake which is much nearer you, but you live opposite direction from my home and work. We should meet up some time, still have any snow?
Thinking of driving to snowbird or somewhere for one good drive...
Old 03-23-2013, 11:52 AM

Having major track slipping issues, when I have more inserts in drive cog it catches two track tabs at once and bunches up tightening track and binding motor momentarily.  One problem then another.  At least I have snow again, gotta love Utah.  Nearly April and woke up to inches of snow
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 PM

Anyone have suggestions for the track slip issues?  I have inserted tabs on drive cog for every other tab on rubber track and track bunches up and semi-binds motor, removing half of the tabs results in track slipping to the point I get stuck everywhere.  Onto summer projects in 1/6th and 1/8th scale 2 speed and a select 2/4 wheel drive on the fly switch.. but still want this done for next winter.

ANYONE PLEASE HELP.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:10 PM
trx young gun

I will post pictures of how I made my track not slip. sorry I have been off for a while.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:13 PM
trx young gun

I started with the stock gear box and it didn't last at all. haha so I tried many gears and I found the rc18t gear fits on the shaft, but that idea fell and I ended up getting some belt drives. if u need any help I will see what I can do. I might sale my brushed one.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:32 PM
trx young gun

check out my gallery