Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

A Couple of Snomobiles

Old 12-08-2020, 02:10 AM
vintageshack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Couple of Snomobiles

So I've started a couple snow machines for this upcoming winter.. The first one is a Tyco Terraniac that I previously modified in this thread here:
Tyco Terrainiac
The results were kinda sub-par, so I decided to make it a tracked vehicle.. Also the steering was complete crap so I made a new front steering setup.

I had some trouble trying to keep the track in place, but I maybe/sorta have it figured out now! As you probably noticed, I made a roof carrier for it that can hold a 12v drill battery.. It really moves now! Anyways, this one is on hold now until I finish my second one, A Skidoo Rev. I was motivated to do this thanks to TechyJoe's post here:
Skidoo Rev XP snowmobile hop-up
So far, I made a new track for it using strips of rubber salvaged from an aircraft's De-ice boots and some hardware, replaced the tiny motor for a 550 one, promptly stripped the tiny first gear and replaced it with a better one, installed hobby grade electronics, and made space for (you guessed it) a 12V drill battery!

My son helping me out with the mods

There's quite the size difference.. I thought the original was a 380 motor, but it seems smaller than that..

The brass gear came on the motor, which came from a drill I think... It didn't quite mesh with the original plastic gear and chewed it up on the first run, so I made the top screw mount adjustable. The screws are backed by a slightly modified washer so I can get them nice and tight.

The receiver is borrowed from my boat since it won't be going anywhere soon! I had to cut a hole in the tunnel so the motor would fit, so I covered it with a couple layers of aluminum tape, which will help with motor cooling as well. The scratches on the motor case is from the initial run.. I have since filed down the studs on the track so it won't happen again.

This is it so far! I am waiting for the epoxy to cure on the new gear before I try it again.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:12 PM
vintageshack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been working on the ski-doo for the last couple days. I am pretty sure I have the gear finally figured out. I added a bracket to support the gearbox, and added another large washer behind the motor for extra rigidity, and to align the gears a little better.
I also added a outrigger bar to help with cornering. I had the track slip off the last run so I added aluminum plates to keep it aligned.
I added some brighter LEDs for the headlights as well.

After finalizing all of these little things, I took it out for another run, and it was working amazing, lots of speed, cornering well, until my ESC decided to catch fire...

I guess that's what I get for buying the cheapest ESC on amazon! It was supposed to handle 320A and 6-12v, but maybe the extra amperage for pulling that track was just too much, or maybe the 12V lithium ion battery was overkill... Weird though because it worked fine the last 5-6 times I used it.. Anyone have any suggestions for a good ESC for a brushed 550 motor?