Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Emergency parachute

Old 11-28-2004, 09:40 PM
sparow89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency parachute

Has anyone ever heard of or made an emergency parachute system for thier plane. Something that deploys a chute when you get into some trouble or something. I was thinking about making one, but I want to get some tips. I thought about using a small air cannon sort of thing that I could just shoot the chute out.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:29 AM
Lancair-RCU

Default RE: Emergency parachute

I dont believe it. I was just thinking about the exact same thing. Well not about making one, but if someone had tried. After more thought it seems like one of these nice ideas, but somewhat impracticle and beyond the scope of modeling.
Then I got to thinking, if you were to design it such that it req'd no more user input than to mount it, plug into a rx and remove a safty pin on cool a "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" red flag. It maybe could work in populous areas and be usefull. It must also NOT use pyrotechnic devices, springs are a better option I think.

BUT I think to be truely useful, in addition to a manual firing via a Tx switch, say needing two clicks quickly to fire, it has to be like a PCM Rx going failsafe mode. Only for longer than a few glitches or based on other parrameters too, like no stick input at all for more than a set time, like 10 - 15 secs. How often are we not moving a stick at all, not even a hairs breadth for 10 -15 secs, maybe it could be shorter to catch the frozen in fear beginner, or anyone for that matter. It could be linked to a pitot/static system to act on certain rates of decent versus airspeed, like high rate of decent, out of control flat spin.
Its probable market though, given what I guess fairly costly R&D meaning a fairly high retail cost would limit it to those pilots who "have to have" and those truely having a need for such a system. Someone who flies regularly in high populous areas, like at air shows etc, where public liability is a major concern (like everywhere these days) and flies models considerably more expensive than a safety chute system, may find some value in it. The model also would have no touble carrying the weight of the device and chute. Since were talking about BIG expensive models here, lets spare no expense and make it a Ram Air parachute, steerable and landable, as in flair out to arrest decent at landing. Itd have it own battery, two channel Rx which switched on after the cute deployed, and two servos just big enough to do the job.

If only I had limitless money . . . .

I wouldnt be writting my idea down here if I had money to play with to make something like this work.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:38 PM
smokingcrater

it was discussed not to long ago here... in reality it just isn't practical. what are you trying to prevent?
[ul][*] pilot error? if you have enough time to hit a chute button then you have enough time to fly the plane out of a problem. [*] rx problems? if you have a connector come lose then it will be fine, but if you have a battery fail or rx just die, you won't get the chute out anyway. failsafe only works if you still have power and a rx that can still activate failsafe.[*] structure failure? the chute may not be attached to anything important, or anything at all for that matter, if something on the plane breaks.
[/ul]
Old 11-29-2004, 12:39 PM
smokingcrater

also, don't cross post... it is considered very bad form, as most of us read more then one topic anyway, we just have to deal with fragmented responses....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Emer...2384325/tm.htm
Old 11-29-2004, 06:40 PM
wjones

YES! Sparow89 I have a system that is call PARA-Cat. It was given to me. The maker is Wildcat R/C Fuels. I dont think they make the system anymore. It comes with a rip-stop nylon parachute with is 70" diameter. It comes with a ASDM(auto shut-down module). The module kills the engine and deploys the parachute. i will post some pic

Thx, wil

rcdropzone.com
Old 11-29-2004, 06:51 PM
wjones

Pic of the para-cat, the wold's only purpose built parachute recovery system for 40-60 size R/ traines. sorry about the flash. the cost on the box is 80.00$ NO I did not pay 80.00$ it was give to me.

Thx, Wil

rcdropzone.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14495.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	197815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42220.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	197816  
Old 12-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Freakazoid
My Feedback: (1)

Thats fun, but do you really think this would work while your trainer is doing 80mph going upside down and spinning straight to the ground?
Old 12-11-2004, 02:46 PM
sparow89

I was also thinking about making one to fit into the tail of large RC planes to help slow them down on landings. For those people whose feilds don't have much or any extra landing room.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:56 AM
fly103-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Guys, Got a chance to try out one of the units Wil has and it worked at any atitude and speed. Had fun just coming accross the field and poping the chute and floating down. I have taught over 200 to fly and have only been in 2 or 3 spots that i couldnt save the plane and i dont use a buddy box to teach with. I guess this is why we havent heard much about this system. Its been out for over 3 or 4 years.
As for the drag chute to slow down landings, make sure you have a strong anchor point that connects up in the plane to a forward bulkhead. The chute has a pretty good jerk on the plane when they open. Drag chutes are a lot of fun, even when they for unknown reasons open in the air.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:51 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drag chutes for emergency deployment............HMMMMMMMM...........Interest ing idea..but I dont think it has a real practical applications in RC, other than just another toy to play with!!!! Anyone with any experiance at all knows that when the worst happens..it happens in milliseconds, with all your effort going to saving the bird!! By the time you get around to remebering you have chute........it's way to late.........
As far as a new student scenario..........you would never want to teach the new guy to depend on a parachute to get him out of a jam........teaching good skills is the key!

It might be fun to try for your clubs annual spot landing contest!!!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Huntster

I'd like to see this in action! If you pop the chute and the throtle is stuck would you be able to fly up and over the chute, stall and fall into the chute and then crash. ??? I've thought about the same thing but it would be large and won't work most of my planes.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:13 AM
wirligig
My Feedback: (3)

PARACHUTE SYSTEMS ARE ACTUALLY GREAT THINGS BUT OFTEN TO COMPICATED FOR THE AVERAGE JOE WEEKEND CRATER MAKER .THEY CAN BE MADE TO BE VERY RESPONSIVE AND SAVE A TON OF DAMAGE EXPENSE . AIRFRAMES ARE CHEEP BUT WHEN ALL YOU RADIO AND ENGINE EQUIP IS GONE BECUASE OF THE SUBSONIC SPEED IT WAS SUBJECTED TO CAN REALLY HURT .SOME CASES ARE JUST UNAVOIDABLE BUT WHEN A SYSTEM GOES INTO FAIL SAFE OR UNCONTROLABLE WITH A LARGE AIRCRAFT. A PARACHUTE COULD PREVENT LARGE EXPENSE IN BOTH EQUIP AND COURT COST BECAUSE OF THE LIABILITY OF IT FLYING OFF AND HURTING SOMEONE .PEOPLE ARE INTO LOOKIN COOL AND GAS AND GO . NEWER SYSTEMS ARE VERY LIGHT WIEGHT AND CAN BE ADAPTED TO WHERE YOU COULD NOT TELL A PLANE WAS EQUIPED WITH IT .EXAMPLE A PARACHUTE ABLE TO LAND A 50 LB PLANE FITS IN A 1X3X5 INCH BAG .
Old 03-06-2005, 12:23 AM
wirligig
My Feedback: (3)

Since were talking about BIG expensive models here, lets spare no expense and make it a Ram Air parachute, steerable and landable, as in flair out to arrest decent at landing. Itd have it own battery, two channel Rx which switched on after the cute deployed, and two servos just big enough to do the job.

HOW BIG OR SMALE GUIDED PARAFOIL DO YOU WANT ?....[8D]
Old 01-14-2015, 07:51 AM
jak_kkaall

Default My Gas plane parachute project

Has anyone ever heard of or made an emergency parachute system for thier plane. Something that deploys a chute when you get into some trouble or something. I was thinking about making one, but I want to get some tips. I thought about using a small air cannon sort of thing that I could just shoot the chute out.
Here is a link to the thread in which at post 12 I've presented my own project of a home made parachute recovery system in a 8 kg gas plane which was tested on the ground.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/begi...l#post11961259

My post is an answer to the person who started this thread and to those that, like me decided that for them it's worth making this project and carrying the extra weight. I've read all the threads about this and I'm aware about the scepticism. I'm not asking here anybody if it can be done or if it's worth doing it. I'm presenting it all done and working, I've made my decision if it's worth or not for me when I started building it. Maybe if I also had 10 gas planes I wouldn't bother on anything else than flying them. I'm addressing and want to inspire those that are interested. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00236.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	503.6 KB
ID:	2063732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1546_resize.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	2063733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1543_resize.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	2063734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1539_resize.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	2063735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1548_resize.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	2063736  

Last edited by jak_kkaall; 01-15-2015 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:43 AM
fly103-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by wjones View Post
Pic of the para-cat, the wold's only purpose built parachute recovery system for 40-60 size R/ traines. sorry about the flash. the cost on the box is 80.00$ NO I did not pay 80.00$ it was give to me.

Thx, Wil

rcdropzone.com
This above has been out since at least 2001..

See post #6 or #7 of this thread for pics of system

Last edited by fly103-RCU; 01-14-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 AM
jak_kkaall

Thank you, I've seen it when I made my documentation before my project. Maybe the title of the topic in which I've described mine is cofusing because it sounds like a question but It is not my thread ''Parachute recovery system - does it exist?'' I've seen I think all the threads about this subject before starting my work. Thanks again