Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

brushless motors out of old cd rom drives

Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

brushless motors out of old cd rom drives

Old 10-11-2005, 01:50 PM
coops1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushless motors out of old cd rom drives

I have heard somewhere that the little brushless motors which are used inside cd rom drives can be used for rc stuff has anyone done this or know of anyone using them. I have recently got hold of two old pc's and removed the motors from (one from the cooling fan and one from the cd rom drive) them and they work ok, Now i just need to know what they might be able to power ie are they powerfull enough for a slowflyer using direct drive or similar. They don't sound very high revving so was just curious if i could make them work with anything. anyone know if they will?

Also i like the idea of the flying hydra boat plane thing but i dont think these motors are powerfull enough. does anyone know what motor i would need to make one?
Old 10-11-2005, 06:11 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: brushless motors out of old cd rom drives

yeah, it can be done although you are only using a couple parts from the motor, you replace the magnets, windings, and sometimes bearings. here is a site that has everything you need...

http://www.gobrushless.com/
Old 10-13-2005, 10:56 AM
coops1

ok cheers for that, now how about using mobile phone and camcorder batterys for r/c stuff ive heard something about this but tried my 7.2 volt camcorder battey on a 7.2v 480 motor and it gives one wizz and stops why didn't it power the motor properly is it to do with AC/ DC or something? can i use mobile phone batterys with a rebuilt brushless cd-rom motor? i'm liking the idea of the hydrafoam boat plane car thingy and am trying to find cheap alternatives to buying motors and cells ect..
so if anyone has any ideas...
Old 10-13-2005, 01:28 PM
coops1

ok i read the go brushless info and took my little cd rom motor apart and it only has a three 'tooth' stator. will i need to replace this with a 9 tooth one? and also how do i get the old single magnet out of the bell? and the old stator off the shaft? they seem to be stuck too well?!!
Old 10-13-2005, 05:22 PM
smokingcrater

most consumer batteries are li-ion, no lipo. difference is amount of current they can put out. also, most consumer packs have current limiting devices built in, which is exactly what you saw when you hooked the 480 up to a camcorder pack. you have to use fairly decent lipo's capable of supplying around 7-10c for a hydrofoam to fly well. (that is pushing even the best rc packs some!)

also, you will still need a brushless controller for any cdrom motor you build. if you found one with only 3 arms on the stator you are out of luck, need to find one with 9. (I THINK 11 may also work, check around...)

ORIGINAL: coops1

ok cheers for that, now how about using mobile phone and camcorder batterys for r/c stuff ive heard something about this but tried my 7.2 volt camcorder battey on a 7.2v 480 motor and it gives one wizz and stops why didn't it power the motor properly is it to do with AC/ DC or something? can i use mobile phone batterys with a rebuilt brushless cd-rom motor? i'm liking the idea of the hydrafoam boat plane car thingy and am trying to find cheap alternatives to buying motors and cells ect..
so if anyone has any ideas...
Old 10-14-2005, 12:03 PM
coops1

ok cheers for that. I have a 22 amp speed control which i used to use on my peco jet but it used to cut out all the time(after about three mins flying), the guy i bought the plane off did say something about it wasn't the right speed control for it but it does work. I dont know the make of it but i do know it said 22 amp on the sticker before the protection came off,
is this a brushless speed control which i will need?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56245.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	339028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71137.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	339029  
Old 10-15-2005, 10:46 AM
coops1

ok ive just learnt that this is not for brushless motors.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Spaceclam

smokingcrater,
a 3 armed brushless motor will work just fine. it will spin very fast, and not have a lot of torque. the only limit to the number of stator arms you can have is that it must be divisible by 3. i have a couple 24 pole stators and those work just fine.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:17 AM
coops1

ok so what can i do next to make the equivelent power to a 340 brushless outrunner? will i need different magnets? as this one only has one single magnet which goes all the way round.

and can i re-use the wire it has but with less turns for more a high revving motor? I am building a hydro foam and need enough power to power it.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:27 PM
smokingcrater

ORIGINAL: Spaceclam

smokingcrater,
a 3 armed brushless motor will work just fine. it will spin very fast, and not have a lot of torque. the only limit to the number of stator arms you can have is that it must be divisible by 3. i have a couple 24 pole stators and those work just fine.
sorry, brain took a little vacation there. I hadn't even heard of a 3 arm cd rom motor (and I've ripped apart quite a few!)
Old 10-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Spaceclam

that's because there is no real reason for it. however, it can be done with 3 poles. cdrom motors will not have 3 arms, but he was looking for stators to turn into brushless motors, and i was just mentioning that it could work.
now 11 arms can not be 3 phase, becuase it is not divisible by 3. 12 arms can