Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

New Brite Ski doo ???s

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 12:26 AM
makg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Brite Ski doo ???s

Hey, I was wondering about the new brite skidoo rc. Does it have proportional control--stock? How fast does it go--stock(estimated-mph)? does it handle and go good in semi-deep powder--stock? How much $ and what brand are the electric engines that'll only take a bit of time to drop in? Thanks
Old 01-02-2006, 04:47 PM
vwfreak

Default RE: New Brite Ski doo ???s

Out of the box they run about walking speed.

I bought two of these last year, and ran one of them with the stock equipment ONCE!
I then modified one with full bearings, new radio system, ESC, and a Trinty Monster2 motor. It ran a lot better, but not enough speed still for waht I wanted this thing to do.

Sled #2 got the nitro treatment. I used a Traxxas Nitro 4-Tec as a donor car to make it a bit more like a real sled. So this one has two gears, and brakes just like the real thing.

If you look at the other posts, you'll find that there's a few guys building these things, and were're all pretty good at offering set up advise with troubleshooting. So go and buy one! (or two)

http://media.putfile.com/000_0427_0001

vwfreak,

*Mnkay has a video of a stock sled v.s a modded electric sled on another thread. Worth a look so you can see the speed of a stock one*
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43616.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	379759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23567.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	379760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92164.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	379761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56555.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	379762  
Old 01-02-2006, 05:08 PM
makg

dang, thats nice. I have a nitro rustler with the 2.5, but i dont fell like trashing a 400$ hopped up car IF i do get one i would do probably just an electric motor upgrade, because i dont want to fall in a money pit, i am only 13 Anyhow, thanks for your help
Old 01-02-2006, 05:14 PM
vwfreak

ORIGINAL: makg123

dang, thats nice. I have a nitro rustler with the 2.5, but i dont fell like trashing a 400$ hopped up car IF i do get one i would do probably just an electric motor upgrade, because i dont want to fall in a money pit, i am only 13 Anyhow, thanks for your help

*Watch your local classified section, hobby shop, ebay, etc... You can find cheap used nitro/ electric cars for donor parts, engines, radios, etc...*

vwfreak,
Old 01-02-2006, 06:12 PM
makg

thanks, but i would rather have a electric ski-doo. Can you tell me the higher grade elec. motors that will slip right in?
Old 01-02-2006, 06:47 PM
vwfreak

You might find a brushless motor that would fit directly.

The motor that comes in these things is approx the same size as an old 380 motor(small can motor).
If you use a standard type (540 size motor) you have to shave the rear of the gearcase down so the larger motor will seat itself correctly (otherwise your motor will sit crooked).

I used one of the provided holes to fasten one side of the motor (no changes). The other hole was made into a slot (similar to many electric r/c's) *This allows me to run anything from a 9 tooth pinion up to a 21, all you have to do is pivot the motor depending on what gear size is used*. (old school Tamiya pinions work with the New Bright's gears)

The original motor's the same as the starter motor on my nitro sled, just to give you an idea as to how small it is.

vwfreak,

Name:	Rp42251.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	379822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75023.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	379823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34534.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	379824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32199.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	379825  
Old 01-02-2006, 07:07 PM
makg

hmm, and your running the easystart? i think i have a few of those laying around...do these sleds work good in like 4 inches of powder?
Old 01-02-2006, 07:18 PM
vwfreak

Keep the scale (1/6th) in mind. Four inches of powder translates to approx. two feet of powder on a real sled.
Fun? yes.. but unless you use a paddle track idea (like Mnkay's sled) you'll sink as soon as you slow down, or stop if it's too deep.

Snow packed roads or parking lots work best if you're leaving the track stock.

vwfreak,
Old 01-02-2006, 07:57 PM
makg

mmkay
Old 01-02-2006, 11:10 PM
makg

hey one more thing, is it proportional?-stock
Old 01-02-2006, 11:22 PM
vwfreak

I don't belive it is. Looks similar to a "normal" servo, but I really can't say for sure.
You'd be better to ask one of the other guys who have recently done this.
I took both of my sleds appart almost a year a go now.

vwfreak,
Old 01-02-2006, 11:31 PM
makg

hmm, well if theres anybody who knows if this rc is proportional, tell me
Old 01-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Newballz

Hey VW, you have any other pics of how you mounted those front shocks? Interested to see how you made the upper mount
Old 01-03-2006, 12:41 AM
vwfreak

I used some 90 degree pieces from an older r/c car. (Kyosho Optima I think?)
One side screws into the original location of the old New Bright shock (using a self tapping screw and a washer to spread out the load) The other end basicly the same, except I used a nut & bolt to allow as much movement as possible

Until I decide on a final set up with proper bracing, I don't want to cut any unnescessary holes in the front of the sled.
I can post some better pics of the set up tommrow.

vwfreak,

Name:	Bz78752.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	380106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84227.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	380107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29479.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	380108  
Old 01-04-2006, 12:32 PM
mnkay

No it is not. Do not try and use a 19.2 volt system for anything but it's system setup. This system does not take kindly to tinkering. It will fail and you will most likely lose communication overall with the computer. With nitro, that could be expensive. Install a complete 6 volt system and try as Vwfreak said, find a 380 or less motor with a really high spin rate, and you are set. You also have the option of adding a motor that fits exactly in the housing and spins over 75-125% faster. Mabuchi sells 380's with high turn rates and you can probably get one with splines. They are hard to find and direct from manufacturer, you would have to buy 5000 pieces or more.

The bonus with using these motors is they are variable voltage. The higher the voltage, the greater the Rpm. At 19.2 volts you can have a motor that turns at 26000 RPM which would drive a stock sled around 13 mph. Also you do not have to change anything. You will lose receive distance for the higher output motor but will have instant power and speed. I have used many of these motors and work great with the existing electronics. As I said, you will not have the distance like you used to but will have a lot more power. Call some hobby shops and see if they carry them at all. They are mainly used for CD/DVD players which spin 30000 + rpm.

Any other questions, just ask
Old 01-22-2006, 08:00 PM
tmahler

Okay, I am waiting for my New Bright. You guys have rally pumped me up to do some mods. I have a surface Futaba radio system, an ESC and a servo (but not a high torque, need to get that.) My question revolves around a new motor. I would like to use the original gears. Is that do-able? Should I find a standard 380 motor? Should I find a 480? Does the shaft need to have splines? In my junk box I have these two motors; AKM AK-523/5 (22,000rpm) and a Mabuchi RS540S. Since I already have these,,,,,would they work? One more question, has anyone ever cast new gears out of resin? Is that an option so that I can hold on to the original gear. Thanks guys! I can't wait to take my snowmobile to Colorado when I go skiing!
Old 02-10-2006, 10:54 AM
mnkay

You can use the original gears if you like but will have to do some modifications to make it work. The tunnel drive shaft (hex shaped) needs a bearing that fits first. Sealed is best. Once you have bearings installed you need to figure out what size diameter motor and turn rate you are going to use. The gear ratio is setup for torque so I higher turn rate will give you more speed. You will have to be creative here. You will have to raise the tunnel wheels and shaft up to give the larger diameter motor clearence to fit in the opening to make contact with the drive gear. This stting is crucial and has to be pretty well dead on for it to work with out failing right away. You have to be square to the opposite gear.You will then have to create a bearing seat out of whatever material works for you and as long as it holds. Install your motor with the original pinion and you should be good to go. You do not need a "high torque servo". Any regular servo will work just fine. Even in the real world it is difficult to turn your skis on a sled dry so the same rules apply with this RC. Less force is needed when you are movng. Don't bother trying to make your own gears. There are enough varieties and there are also machinist's that will do it for cheaper than you think.

My opinion, do not use the original tranny. Go with a belt drive setup. Belts are 10-15 dollars each and pulleys are about twice that. Also, it enables you to mount your motor in front of the tunnel bay and lower your center of gravity and also you do not have to lift the bearings up to compensate for the bigger motor. In addition, you can change your pulleys for different gearing. This is much easier than using the original tranny but a little more expensive. This setup will last much longer and is much more reliable than first setup mentioned. Again, my opinion.

Hope this helps

Mark
Old 02-10-2006, 11:36 AM
tmahler

Thanks for all the info! Since I posted that I have pressed on with a simple conversion. My adventure is documented here:

[link]http://www.tedsrockets.homestead.com[/link] click on the snowmobile link.

Not as fancy as most but I am having fun with it.

Ted
Old 02-10-2006, 10:55 PM
mnkay

By seeing your setup you can possible tilt the transmission forward (90 degrees) and possible run a much larger motor if there is clearence for it. It looks lik you can and that means more power and lower center of gravity.

Mark
Old 03-13-2007, 02:38 AM
joe slrn

hi im trying to make my electric mxz belt driven eney idas???