Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Offical Blizzard Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Mouton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Offical Blizzard Thread

Neither. They are made of nylon and you are supposed to clue on some rubber in order to have som grip on rocks.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:53 PM
coleholley

What motors and esc are you guys using?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Lorduss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

integy 65T lathe motor, novak XRS, 16T pinion, its all about torq.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:21 PM
carmatic1

i wish kyosho would make those old dual motor blizzards again... you could turn on the spot...

besides those people who are addicted to speed, well i dunnoe... either they type faster than they think, or they think faster than they .... i dunnoe....
but anyway, i'd love to get my hands on one of these things, i dont know how well they'd work on crazy thick grass , but all ive got is a small garden with lots of grass
Old 06-26-2007, 10:43 PM
crabfu

How about a Steam Turbine powered Blizzard? Here are step by step instructions:

http://www.instructables.com/id/EDXHIRWF2FRVI6Y/

-Crabfu
Old 09-18-2007, 04:26 AM
pete bigfoot

Im another one to buy one of these crazy units, just picked up a new one from ebay, now have to wait for it to arrive, its the nitro model.
i found a short video on you tube that had me hooked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A857Vb27ou8
Old 10-02-2007, 03:53 AM
Mouton

They sure are fun! I only drive mine in the wintertime in the snow. That is its true element and its so much more fun to drive it in the snow than on anything else (grass, rocks, leaves, sand, mud).
Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 AM
buglite62

The last post is a little old, but has anyone tried a brushless in one of these. Would it perform like a nito one? Not looking for the speed, but would rather plug in and shoot out the front door without the mess of nitro.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:54 PM
blizzzarddemon

im looking for one of these i want to be able to play with it at college but they dont allow nirto so the eletric one is my better bet hwich one does someone recommend and what esc and controller and if anyone has one they want to sell i am very interested i might get a nitro but im wonering the cheapest route with out being stuck somewhere i might have to wait till after i break in the new motor on my warhead to see if i still like it so i can sell it here or on ebay and then i should have the monet to get one
Old 10-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Mouton

The body stays on very well and running it in the snow really does not require waterproof electronics. You only need stock servos, so pick a transmitter to your liking. You might consider a three channel radio if you are likely to build a plow for it. Otherwise the cheapest two channel system would suffice if you are on a budget. The EP version naturally only requires one servo. I am personally a fan of mTroniks as their ESCs are both cheap and guaranteed to be waterproof. The transmission can handle a powerful motor so your budget is the limiting factor as to what would be suitable.

I must advice against treating the Blizzard as a basher. It has suspension but that is more for smothing out the ride than absorbing jumps and impacts. The nitro version is a bit too quick for its own good in second gear on smoth surfaces. However, if you run in in loose and deep snow quite a lot of the speed is absorbed by the snow, slowing you down so you do want it to be reasonably quick at least. That is good to know before you take it out the first time.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Neverdone

I ordered a Blizzard DF-300 and should hopefully be receiving it tomorrow are there any tips that I should know about? It is a nitro version. I have 6 other nitro vehichles 7 counting a boat so I am pretty well experienced at it. I thought this would be an ice addition to my collection any advice would be nice.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Mouton

Ball race it when you build it. Rubber sealed bearings is advisable since it will see some snow. Apart from that obvious piece of advice there is nothing you need to consider while building it. You will need the following ball bearings:
3 5x8x2,5
2 8x14x4
14 5x10x4
16 4x8x3

All in all 35 ball bearings. The first three are for the clutch bell.

You are supposed to glue on some rubber on the tracks. They are only needed for grip on tarmac and rocks. Since that is not its true element I have never bothered.

If you only plan to run it while its cold outside then you should try to run it without the fan belt. Mout the fan but skip the belt. If I run mine in the cold and it never reaches proper operating temperature with the fan belt in place. That makes the engine impossible to tune. I run mine with the body on and I have not cut any ventilation holes in it. It works like a charm with a warm glow plug even when it is really cold outside (about -20 degrees Celsius).

If you run it in the summer or when it is still warm outside you will need the fan belt. I believe Kyosho intended it for summer usage. If you look at the action photos on the box it is beeing run on dirt, not snow.

If you have problems driving it straight you could try a thicker diff oil than stock. Keep in mind that you really need the brakes to pull hard. When the discs get whet from the snow it will otherwise have difficulties turning.

Best of luck!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Neverdone

How strong of servos should I use? Is there any other advise I should have?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Mouton

Standard servos will cut it. There is no need for stronger servos.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Stick40

Ahhh.. cool power, old school! how bout a turboshatf blizard?

Stick 40
Old 11-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Lins

How are you guys getting the body installed on the nitro version? The fuel tank/pull starter are all in the way for me?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Neverdone

Dont know I havent gotten mine yet still waitin on it to show up at the hobby shop it is due in anytime but I am not sure when it will actually show I am hoping on getting it before thanksgiving so I can put it together over break.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:25 AM
Mouton

If you cut it according to the manual you only have to wiggle it a bit and bend the pull starter with you finger for it to fit. I have never thought of that as a problem.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Tamfan

I am com=nteplating having Santa deliver an electric Blizzard this year. Have those of you that are runnign the Ep version noticed any issues with the vehicle? There would only be 2 mods I would make to it. Full bearings and possibly a bit hotter motor. I can get ahold of the Venom Fireball modifieds for around $15. I figure a 19 turn motor would give it plenty of power if the stock motor seemed a bit lacking. Then again, my Lunchbox and Pumpkin still have 540 mabuchi cans in them. The Traxxas stuff..... Thats a different story power wise.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

Does anybody know what the difference is between the original serise Blizzards and the DF-300s, besides the body style? I'm thinking about getting the electric version and am trying to figure out the reason for about a $40 difference between the two.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Lins

The body is a little more detailed, and I think there are 1 or 2 'mods' to the frame. Not really worth the extra money unless you want the more detailed body.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:52 PM
supermansrevo

im gettin ready to buy one of these, im a big fan of brushless having a E revo and emaxx brushless, would the blizzard work well with a brushless setup?i seen someone sayed the nitrois hard to controlin 2nd soim assuming it prolly wouldnt, also in the nitro model can any other motors fit easily or just the one it comes with.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:10 AM
Mouton

ORIGINAL: Kitsune

Does anybody know what the difference is between the original serise Blizzards and the DF-300s, besides the body style?
The chassis are the same. Only the body differs. However, the initial Blizzard DX that came in the 1980's is a totally different construction, but I assume that you with "original" mean the previous version that has been on the market for the last, say five years?

supermansrevo, the chassis has three holes in a triangular pattern to fix a Kyosho smallblock. If you drill new holes you coult mount a regular small block motor mount or you could get Kyosho's adaptor motor mount. The motor you install must be a pull start or a TigerDrive version as there is no way to use a starter box. I have seen rear exhaust motors with tuned pipes installed but they do require body cutting to fit. Get a side exhaust motor that could fit to Kyosho's stock exhaust system. Or a side exhaust motor with a small pipe. I believe Traxxas has some that could fit.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:34 PM
zjwhitrock

ORIGINAL: supermansrevo

im gettin ready to buy one of these, im a big fan of brushless having a E revo and emaxx brushless, would the blizzard work well with a brushless setup?i seen someone sayed the nitrois hard to controlin 2nd soim assuming it prolly wouldnt, also in the nitro model can any other motors fit easily or just the one it comes with.
40+mph blizzard?? sounds like fun!!!
Old 11-22-2007, 12:02 PM
supermansrevo

Ive seen some videos to the blizzard but its hard to tell how fast they go, anyone have any #'s for the nitro with the .11 motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.