Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

what kind of craft is this???

Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

what kind of craft is this???

Old 02-19-2007, 01:49 AM
slowstang88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of craft is this???

www.hodgeshobbies.com/images/P7290027.JPG i figured this would fit in the unusual r/c section since you dont really see these everyday!!!! anybody know what it is/if it flies?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:47 AM
lundy

Default RE: what kind of craft is this???

It is a Omni-Directional Lifting aircraft .

Disigned by Joe Deloevila ,Build by Len Sabato Sr

In the early 1970 an Aeronautical Engeneer by the name of Joe Deloevila
began designing an urban transport aircraft that would take off vertically and
that transition to forward flight .
This was the first of several working models ,this exampel was designed
and build to prove that the design could produce lift .
On the second attempt the aircraft did hover.
Later models would have achieved forward flight.

This example is on display at the AMA Model aircraft Museum in Muncie Indiana .
And Donated by Paul Rudolph to the AMA Museum .

,Jules
Old 02-19-2007, 05:42 AM
slowstang88

thank you for the reply, and the history!! thats very interesting!!! any more info on that?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:57 PM
TopThumbs

I thougth it was a 27% scale X-31 Thresher

my bad
Old 02-22-2007, 04:01 PM
T.W.

Jules: I have a facsination for unusual RC models and find the picture of this one very interesting indeed. But I can't for the life of me understand how the sytem produces lift, let alone how it could achieve omni-directional maneuverability . . . . but I really would kike to know how it works. I've searched- and browsed-around but have been unable to learn any more about it and wondered if you have more information which you would like to pass on here - or perhaps you know of a website where more details are available?

Tony
Old 02-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Quicksilver1

from looking at the pic and mind you never building an rc plane or plane.......I think I know how it works. I presume you as I did, thought the rotating airfoils would cancel eachother out but they do not. The blades seem to have pitch control which is how the wheel can produce lift. If you look closely the blades have control arms attached. The sets of rotating foils counteract eachother as counter rotation propellers do on a boat. Which stops the aircraft from "walking." On top of all this, varying the speed of eith side would move it right of left, or you could spin the craft and do all kinds of fancy things by varying the speed of all four foil wheels. then for foward movement all I think of is that they speed the rear whel up faster then the front to pitch the craft foward, and the reverse for.......reverse.

Either this or all these latter descriptions are actually accomplished with those control rods. Neat how it uses one motor, from the appearances.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:10 AM
T.W.

It looks to me as though the speed of all blades is going to be the same and dependent on the speed of the engine as I see no system to achieve different speeds, but of course it would need some way of achieving this to be controlable. Hence I asked Jules if he had more details. Yes, I did notice the push-rods. I assume these are moved by cams - but of course I could be wrong. Does anyone know where I can find some actual information on this "thing?"

Tony
Old 02-23-2007, 04:48 AM
lundy

Four eccentric cams , one located on each of the blades controlled individual blade pitch.
At the top of the are the blades were positioned with positive pitch Producing lift , zero pitch
was set on the side , and negative pitch on the bottom.
The engines rpm controlled the rate of climb and descent.
The first time they attempted to fly the model it did not produce enough lift , so the cams where
redesigned .
On the second attempt the aircraft did hover.
Later models have achieved forward flight by adjusting each cam independently or by using
an additional engine for the forward thrust .

Tony this is all the info I have considering this craft , its from the AMA Museum.
As far I know there is no info on the web over this flying thing .

,Jules
Old 02-23-2007, 05:07 AM
T.W.

Thanks for the extra information ,Jules. I'll write to the AAA museum to ask if they have any more details. It's a fascinating craft for sure

Tony
Old 02-23-2007, 08:51 AM
lundy

If you are getting more information from the AMA let us know something Tony ?
I was interested in this craft the moment I saw it in the museum ,
In September we are going back there , gone make some detailed photos of it .

,Jules
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94583.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	627932  
Old 02-23-2007, 12:37 PM
T.W.

Will do ,Jules . . . . and if I don't find any more info perhaps you'll be able to add to what you already said here, after your next visit to the museum? I don't see me trying to build something similar, but I "must" know how it works. A video would be great right now - if anyone's got a link

Tony
Old 02-28-2007, 03:58 PM
T.W.

Michael Smith, Director of the National Model Aviation Museum at Muncie Indiana, responded to my request for further information about this mode. Her said this: It was acquired by the museum in 2001 but unfortunately we do not have that much information on it, nor any video. Mr. Delocvila, the designer, passed away from a heart-attack not long after this example flew and Mr. Sabato, hired by Mr. Delocvila as the model builder, did not follow up with the project. Supposedly Mr. Delocvila presented information to the US Patent Office, however I have not been able to locate anything. The purpose of the completed operational model would have been to promote the concept to full-scale aviation companies. From my understanding the aircraft was originally going to an urban transport aircraft, moving people around from building to building in large cities. That being said, the model is in a "military" scheme.

This particular model, the only one built, was designed with the sole purpose of proving that the four sets of turning blades could produce lift. Each blade has a push rod connected to a cam in the center of each wheel. As was mentioned in one of the comments on the forum, the cam changes the pitch of each blade as it goes through the circle producing lift at the top. For this example a single engine turned all four sets of blades using a series of belts. When tested it was tethered. The first tests produced no lift and so Mr. Delocvila redesigned the cams. On subsequent tests the aircraft did hover. Later models were to have full control allowing the aircraft to fly forward, reverse, and side-to-side. Unfortunately we do not have any information on how this might have been achieved. Discussions have included adjusting the speed of each set of blades independently or adjusting the pitch of each set of blades independently. An additional power source located in the back of the aircraft providing forward thrust has also been mentioned based on the appearance of the model.

And there you have it guys. I wish there was more information, but I guess not . . . . unless "you" have something else to pass-on?

Tony
Old 04-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Pla

I want to build this thing!
Properly designed, it can have 3 rotational controls, 2 movement controls, and 1 throttle control - total 6 channels needed. Throttle can be controlled with governor, so it doesn't need to be on the stick.
This is sweet!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:31 PM
T.W.

Go for it Pla . . . . and please be sure to report your progress here

Tony
Old 04-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Pla

Even if I decided to build it (very small chance), how could I make the parts?
I could reuse some parts from LHS, but if I wanted custom parts (in single digit quantity) where could I order them?
Old 04-08-2007, 03:52 AM
Wild Foamy

get your own home workshop , a little lathe, a decent vertical mill and a pillar drill...
Old 07-29-2007, 06:02 PM
old git

ORIGINAL: T.W.

- - - - -

And there you have it guys. I wish there was more information, but I guess not . . . . unless "you" have something else to pass-on?

Tony
Sorry, I cannot remember the name of the propulsion system but it is currently used on ships. With the axis of the rotors vertical the pitch of each blade is controlled by a swash plate in a similar manner to a helicopter. The engine can run at constant speed while producing anything from zero to maximum thrust. It also has the virtue of vectoring the thrust to assist mooring etc.

I would imagine that more rotors would allow differential pitch to be used and thereby produce a resultant forward thrust by tilting the craft in the same manner that a helicopter achieves forward motion.

Personally while it could be done I imagine it would be unnecessarily complex and as a result hoplessly inefficient.

olf git - - - - - - aka John L.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Slammed

Well its not alot but here is the builder maybe we can find some info from him

http://www.lensabato.com/biographypage.htm

http://www.littlerotors.com/articles...203/index.aspx
Old 10-14-2007, 06:12 AM
lundy

Hi the photo up date I promised , taken at The AMA Museum on September 12 2007 .
There is no further info of this craft at the Museum in Muncie .

,Jules
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91335.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	782587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14982.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	782588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76589.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	782589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18002.jpg
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	782590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73064.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	782591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89801.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	782592  
Old 10-14-2007, 09:24 AM
T.W.

I sure would like to see this machine flying (hovering?)

Tony
Old 10-17-2007, 03:10 PM
zjwhitrock

we should steal it[>:][:-]
Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

It seems like it is an example of how small scale does not work as well as nearly full scale,perhaps like the Hovercraft designs.
Sure looks like an interesting approach though [8D]
Old 12-01-2007, 12:58 AM
insaneuswa

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this, but i once saw on either modern marvels or something similar to that
a tugboat that had a central thruster that used "wings" similar to those only mounted vertical so that the thrust could be directed 360
Old 12-01-2007, 03:43 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: insaneuswa

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this, but i once saw on either modern marvels or something similar to that
a tugboat that had a central thruster that used "wings" similar to those only mounted vertical so that the thrust could be directed 360
I saw the name in my files, I had already mentioned the drive. The name you are searching for is VOIGHT SCHNEIDER (sp dubious but certainly close)

old git - - - - - aka John L.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:22 AM
T.W.

You are correct John. [link=http://users.skynet.be/havenslepers/en/doc/vsp.htm]Take a look here[/link]

Tony

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.