RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Unusual R/C (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/unusual-r-c-245/)
-   -   Painting tips needed (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/unusual-r-c-245/2106244-painting-tips-needed.html)

3D Nut 08-21-2004 09:47 PM

Painting tips needed

Hello All,

I'm working on a new war bird an M1A1 Tank that I'm trying to finish. I need help with the paint job. The Tank has been covered with vinyl covering I was planning on spraying a black primer on it and then use latex flat house paint, with a few coats of Lustrekote clear flat finish. Please let me know if I'm heading in the right direction. Any help will do and Thanks

Spiro

DavidAgar 08-22-2004 11:16 AM

RE: Painting tips needed

I need you to excuse my loss of brains on this issue, but what is an M1A1 tank? I am not familar with this plane. Thanks Dave

3D Nut 08-22-2004 11:54 AM

Sorry Dave,
this is what my Tank will look like. What do you think?

http://www.flyingthingz.com/flying_t...lying_tank.htm

Happy Landing

Spiro

sprintdawg007 08-24-2004 11:19 AM

lol, Nut, I think Dave's trying to be subtle here....in saying that this is a plane forum, airplanes, not tanks. I don't know where to put this question but it doesn't fit the plane forum.

~A.C.

3D Nut 08-24-2004 04:40 PM

Hello Sprintdawg007,

If you look carefully at the link http://www.flyingthingz.com/flying_t...lying_tank.htm , you will notice that this is not just any ordianry tank, but this is a flying tank... ;) I don't know where to put this question either. . . LOL

sprintdawg007 08-24-2004 05:03 PM

wow, I don't believe it lol, my bad. Are you trying to paint the tank historically accurate? Or just asking if black would look cool.

3D Nut 08-24-2004 09:53 PM

I will be painting the tank as scale as possible. I will be using black primer as the base coat, followed by two coats of B.M. custom military colors (Regal-Flat) , and then three coats of flat urethane. Let's see if I could get the Tank to hover[>:] Just joken :D

Spiro

jettstarblue 08-29-2004 10:09 AM

You could make it fly by kicking it real hard...;) What kind of vinyl covering? What kind of "spray" paint? May melt it, clean it with some solvent, starting with alcohol, and then spray it. Try some on a piece of the covering that you can't see first.

jettstarblue 08-29-2004 10:16 AM

Hey Spiro,
Sorry to be such a jerk! I see you are getting a tank ready to fly.... Go for it!! Sweet!

3D Nut 08-29-2004 08:22 PM

Hello Jettstarblue,
I like the idea about kick starting the M1A1 Tank to get it to fly[>:], but I have put a engine in it already. I know this Tank will fly :). About the covering, it's 3M sign covering with self adhesive. I have scuff the covering with 400 sandpaper, and then I'm looking to spray it with Krylon black primer. I will be putting a latex flat house paint for the camouflage, and then I will be spraying it with 3 to 4 coats of Lustrekote clear flat finish. What do you think? Am I heading in the right direction? I will be posting pictures soon. I don't want to give anybody any ideas before I release it. The hardest part about this Tank is not making it fly, it's painting it [:o]. I will be releasing the Tank soon on www. .com

I will like to Thank everybody for your help, you have provided.

Spiro

jettstarblue 08-30-2004 07:26 AM

3D, I posted that about the kicking before I realize you were serious! That's why I offered the retraction.

I'd still test the spray paint on a piece of the covering, some of that vinyl stuff is a little tricky to paint. (may melt, and you'll have to try different spray paints with different carriers)
Spray the camo scheme, so you keep it light, and I'd say two coats of the final will be enough.
I'm a fan of weird/unusual flying machines, though I don't post much on them in that forum. I've built several strange designs, some fairly successful. A flying building? Sure. Never a tank though!

3D Nut 08-30-2004 07:26 PM

Jettstarblue,

No need for the retraction. I got a kick out of it (GOT IT) :D. Just for the record, I found your first post funny:). I'm running to the shop tonight and I will be conducting some paint tests on the Tank. I will be posting the results, so others should benefit from my mistakes. So, it's to my understanding your a fan of novelty items:). I'm fresh out of ideas, and was hoping to fish some ideas out of you:eek:. Do you have any?

Spiro

jettstarblue 08-31-2004 07:13 AM

Look @ my post about "most unusual planes" in this forum. I've built a few weirdos', too bad it was before I had a digital camera, or I'd have pictures of them.
The "flying buildings" took a lot of tweaking to get so they would "fly" but were fun. The flying surfer dude, is still in the process of being worked out...way fast, and not real stable. (negative aspect ratio wing) It doesn't lend itself to the park flyer I was going for, it will be norvel powered next.
The flying saucer I did for a guy who wanted one, and though it flew it too was a handful, and the guy bashed it right away. (he was a sub-beginer, but insisted he could fly it)
I've got other ideas too, just haven't tried them yet. I AM a genius visionary 'ya know!;)

I once was going to go into business, and I was approached by a (small) company about producing a couple of them, but them the guy tried to take my ideas and run. He bought up a bunch of tools/supplies to produce them, and was going to produce and sell my stuff without any of my help, or giving me any credit. He whipped up a hundred or so of one product, but due to the fact that he was doing it behind my back, he didn't have the "goods" to make them work, and everyone he sold, was returned, and he had to give back money he'd already spent. Then someone broke into his shop, and stole all his tools! (he'd secreted the shop away in a really bad neighborhood).

I guess the karma wheel turned and crushed him!

jettstarblue 08-31-2004 07:14 AM

P.S.

I'm a HUGE fan of fanfold, and other alternative methods/materials! Lowe's is my hobbyshop.
I WAS FANFOLD BEFORE FANFOLD WAS COOL!!!!!!

3D Nut 08-31-2004 09:07 PM

Hi Jetts,

Check your e-mail and give me a call. I'm sure we will have fun chatting about our hobby :)

Happy Landing

Spiro

3D Nut 09-05-2004 12:59 PM

Jettstarblue,

The Tank was primed today with Krylon black primer. The primer went on like a champ. I'm going to give the primer a few days to cure before the next step.

The question I have for you JETTSTARBLUE is, what type of spray gun should I use? I was looking to get an inexspensive ($30.00) one from Home Depot. What pressure should I set the sprayer at, and how much water do I use to thin the B.M. Regal flat latex paint? I will be posting the pictures of the Flying Tank process for others to learn from when I'm done.

jettstarblue 09-05-2004 07:59 PM

You can get an inexpensive one for that application, 30-50 bucks, and some come with a few paint filters, and a drip funnel, which combined with the directions, tell you how much water to thin with. It will give you a measurement in drops through the funnel in a given amount of time. I think mine says "drops per min." I would use distilled water, for sure.

3D Nut 09-26-2004 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Jettstarblue,
first thing first, I will like to thank you and others with the help of my Flying Tank Project. So what do you think :D
I will be posting step by step instructions on the paint job project soon.

Spiro

jettstarblue 09-27-2004 08:25 AM

First of all, I want to say if I fly it, I will look like a dope flying a toy....JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

I think that thing is THE MOST INOVATIVE AND NEW THING to come along in, well, a long time!

MAN IS IT SWEET!!!!!

More like it soon!

3D Nut 10-02-2004 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: jettstarblue

First of all, I want to say if I fly it, I will look like a dope flying a toy....JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

I think that thing is THE MOST INOVATIVE AND NEW THING to come along in, well, a long time!

MAN IS IT SWEET!!!!!

More like it soon!

LOL, Thanks Jettstarblue,

I have a few more tricks up my sleeve[>:], for the near future. You could check for updates at www. .com :D

Spiro

3D Nut 10-02-2004 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
TIPS & TRICKS ON PAINTING THE M1A1 FLYING RC TANK

PHASE 1

1) Clean paint surface with alcohol.

2) Scuff covering with 400 sandpaper

3) Reclean surface with alcohol again.

4) Prime covering with Krylon Black primer #1602 U.F.

5) Let dry for 24 Hours before next step.

3D Nut 10-02-2004 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

PHASE 2

I purchased a Husky Multin Spray Gun (USA SKU: 515-623) from Home Depot for under $60.00. I when to my local paint store Janovic/Plaza. I explained to the sales rep ABA my new project of the M1A1 flying Tank. Aba thought I was NUTS, but was more than happy to assist me with this project. Aba tooked my colors samples, and had them computer matched. The main color on the Tank is PPG 410-6 Toy Tank Green in which I had it converted to Benjamin Moore & Co. premium interior latex flat pain (Quart of BM#4-PPG Coloring- B-29, C2Y+2, D11, w 20 ) Aba if your reading this THANK YOU :)

1) Scuff covering with 400 sandpaper, wipe down with tack cloth.

2) I thinned the paint down with clean tap water, 3/4 of a cup of paint to 1/4 of a cup of water.

3) I sprayed two thin coats of Toy Tank Green color.

4) Let dry for 24 Hours before next step.

3D Nut 10-02-2004 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)

PHASE 3

Time for the camouflage colors. Color PPG Safari Brown #429-6 in which I had it converted to Benjamin Moore & Co. premium interior latex flat pain (Quart of BM RWS Base#4GY-2x20 1/2, RX 11+1/128), and one quart of Benjamin Moore & Co. premium interior latex flat black 215 80.

1) I used a pencil to draw my quide lines for the camouflage.

2) I thinned the paint down with clean tap water, 3/4 of a cup of paint to 1/4 of a cup of water.

3) I used a Purdy brush 1 1/2" inch xl-Glide, and a small artist brush for tight areas. I painted the camouflage colors using a brush and the pencil mark as my guide. I free hand the camouflage colors on. Take your time and you will be surprise how nice it comes out :D. I Painted the camouflages colors one coat of paint to save on weight.

4) I made a template for the wheels (We will be providing wheels template with the kit), and used a permanent marker for my detail work ;)

5) Let it dry for 24 hours

3D Nut 10-02-2004 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

PHASE 4 Final step on painting

I spayed two coats of Top F Lustekote crystal clear TOPR7501. By now I'm sure you know, to let it dry for 24 hours [:@]

After 24 hours you could install your radio, engine . . .

I did not realy think I would have enjoyed painting this project. But I proved my self wrong [8D]

Good luck with your next paint job, if you have any questions feel free to post them.

Spiro

jettstarblue 10-02-2004 02:50 PM

OOOO OOO I have a question!
where can I get one?
Howdy neighbors- DUCK!!!!!!

BOOM!!!!!!