Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

E-flite UMX P-51 Mustang 2S Brushless Unboxing, Maiden Flight, & Review

Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

E-flite UMX P-51 Mustang 2S Brushless Unboxing, Maiden Flight, & Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 11:54 AM
GBLynden

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default E-flite UMX P-51 Mustang 2S Brushless Unboxing, Maiden Flight, & Review

This is my review of the new Gentle Annie E-flite UMX P-51 Mustang BL RC Plane complete with videos:

Review Notes:

Cons:
- Lots of dents and dings
- Pilot out of alignment
- Rudder out of trim

Pros:
- 2S Brushless power
- Big front wheels that are even better than the E-flite UMX P-47 wheels
- Four bladed prop
- AS3X Technology

Unboxing:

Maiden Flight in Wind:

Running on 3S Power! (Voids Warranty):

Last edited by GBLynden; 06-28-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:12 AM
SteveMuzzleflash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I now have 2, both as bad as yours

I WISH I had seen this post BEFORE I spent my money on the UMX P51.
I have two with similar issues as yours.
Their quality control is pathetic. I also own an older 1s model and it is (just like yours) in better shape than the "new" ones.

So here's my story:
I bought a UMX P-51. After only 3 days, the elevator stopped working. Lucky I was able to land it gently and put it on the bench to test. The elevator came back to life, then died, then came back to life, and died. I contacted Horizon to return the item, but was bumped down to "tech support".
Tech support brushed me off to email and failed to respond. I called back in to Horizon a week later and got through to someone after a very long wait. They didn't want me to return the Mustang. They sent me a new one and told me to keep the old one as a parts plane.
The replacement plane that was sent to me was worse than the first one.
I emailed Horizon but they did not respond.
I called into Horizon to RETURN the unused, new item, and was bumped to tech support, again. I don't need tech support. I need to return this and get one that isn't beat up. Tech support wanted me to take pictures so they could forward it to their quality control team. I asked why not let me return it and they can review it themselves. Unless they are going to pay me, why should I take my time to perform quality control for free?
The solution: Post the pictures online for everyone to see.

Horizon UMX planes are NOT what they used to be. One step forward with BL motors, many steps back in quality and reliability.

Here is what the current production of Horizon products looks like out of the box:

Pic 1 - Crooked rudder and tail wheel. It did not correct itself after binding. After applying trim, the range of motion is full right, only a little to the left.

Pic 2 - That's NOT angle for thrust, that's a sloppy crooked nose cone. The motor is correct, the nose cone is crooked.

Pic 3 - Aileron was up a little bit, surface of wing was a little beat up

Pic 4 - Sloppy.

Pic 5 - What the heck is this? Why bother to paint a pilot? I would rather have an empty cockpit than something so silly. I have some comical pilots in some of my planes, but they are intended to look funny. This is what low quality, rush job production looks like.

Pic 6 - Dents in the wings.

Pic 7 - Low quality rush job on the horizontal stabilizer. It was forced in, and creased,

Pic 8 - There is a large, significant scratch down the side of the fuselage. Decals were applied over the scratch but it's still very visible.

I have not flown this plane. I'm still trying to return it, but Horizon want pictures instead, so I'm emailing Horizon a link to this forum post.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	2217877   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2217878   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	2217879   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	2217880   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	2217881   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	2217882   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	2217883   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	2217884  

Old 06-28-2017, 08:58 PM
GBLynden

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope you were able to get HH to take it back.

For me, it took a lot of tuning, but I am happy with how mine flies currently. I am sorry yours was such a disappointment.