Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

Delamination issue with Horizon Hobby Apprentice

Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

Delamination issue with Horizon Hobby Apprentice

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 05:42 PM
HPetersen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Delamination issue with Horizon Hobby Apprentice

I have purchased a number of Horizon Hobby aircraft and found them quite good and their service support, until recently, excellent. Within the past 2 months, I have had two crashes of two Apprentice 14e aircraft. The last one a week ago. They both disintegrated in the air. We examined the situation at the field in both cases and found that the elevator had delaminated. I'm including some pictures. The elevator showed signs on one that the outer sheet to the thin foam core was starting to delaminate as well.
The issue for Horizon Hobby appears to be poor quality manufacturing control. The edges on both the elevator and the rudder are not being sealed properly. I called Horizon Hobby last week, to inform them of what I was encountering. It was news to them, that my problems were outliers. Yesterday I visited one of my local hobby stores, to pick up a set of replacement elevator and rudder components. I had the evidence of the last crash with me. Upon showing them the situation, the owner of the store confided that he had the same thing happen to him a week prior. His plane was brand new. He returned his item to Horizon Hobby. I do not plan to purchase another Apprentice.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:29 AM
taggarc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be good to see the pictures. Think this may have happened to me
Old 10-03-2018, 02:31 PM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How many flights were on these aircraft? You say they disintegrated (implying total loss) but then go on to say you were buying replacement parts. Which is it? Pics would be good.....
Old 10-19-2018, 09:56 PM
GBLynden

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have found that their quality control is sub par lately as well. They used to be the leader and now they can barely keep up. I keep hoping they wise up, but I have been let down with my last three planes from them. I hope the fourth one that just arrived is a different story.

GB