Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

GWS Pico-Tiger Moth

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 10:32 AM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Pico-Tiger Moth

I recently bought a GWS Pico-Tiger Moth and am displeased with it. It is overpriced(>$50 w/o rx, battery, etc.) for what you get and very, very flimsy. I realize it is an indoor/slow flyer, but it is flimsy even for those applications.

Things can be done to beef it up a little, but I shouldn't have to do anything to it but put it together and fly it.

I won't buy another GWS product, at least not at the price they are asking.

doubledee
Old 11-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: GWS Pico-Tiger Moth

We have several of these in the club, all perform very well and are pretty typical of that type of plane.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:00 AM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll add my thoughts. The GWS Tiger Moth, Pico Cub, Stick and Slow Stick are inexpensive ($50 for plane kit, motor and gearbox, but they can be found for $35), decent flying, indoor or windless park flyers. They serve the purpose for which they were designed, and do it well.
Dennis-
Old 11-26-2003, 09:53 AM
BuzzBomber

I have a GWS cub and tiger moth that I've been flying for two years. Countless repairs, stronger motor systems to counteract the added weight, and some structural strengthening to make up for the fact that I fly them in ways they were never intended. Frankly, the statements made in this review and a recent review of the cub are, IMO, unfair to the manufacturer. First, where else can one obtain a hobby quality ARF including motor and gearbox for under $60 ($60 barely buys a decent Rx)? Painted, no less! Next, if the user has no flying experience, or only experience with fast, heavy glow planes, then planes of this type will seem underwhelming and possibly twitchy, but fly far more "scale" than most glow planes anyway. And, once accustomed to their flight characteristics, you can make them do amazing things, trust me. I'll get down off my soapbox now.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:26 AM
doubledee

OK, OK, you've talked me into it. Maybe I was a bit hasty with the review and I admit I may be expecting more of it than I should get for the price.

Since I wrote the review I have received some advice on how to beef it up and it seems to be "just" alright now.

Thanks for the comments,
doubledee
Old 11-26-2003, 10:59 AM
BuzzBomber

doubledee,

Just so you know, I wasn't trying to attack you or anyone else with my comments. I've been frustrated with my GWS planes at times, too. In my case, it usually turned out to be something I overlooked or had greater-than-realistic expectations of. Anyhow, I'm glad your experience with the moth is improving. Mine now has too many flights to remember, a geared 280 system, wooden struts, fishing line flying wires, and ratfink for a pilot. It also has a white lower wing since the color layer started peeling. It just won't die!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21530.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	77661  
Old 12-18-2003, 10:45 AM
pooman07
My Feedback: (2)

I think it is a terific price exspecially on ebay i got mine for 115 and it includes everything except the tx and the crystals wich i have.I think you could beef it up by adding a carbon fiber fuse insteada a stick probly they found outside the factory lol.Like cut an arrow or just buy em there really cheap.[:'(]
Old 12-18-2003, 10:36 PM
DBCherry

You definitely should beef up the wing by either adding wooden BBQ skewers or something under the leading edge of the wing, or by adding flying wires. Add the skewers to the Cub wing too.

And beefing up the slot that the landing gearfits into on the Moth in particular is also a good idea.

Dennis-
Old 12-20-2003, 01:20 AM
O2man
My Feedback: (5)

How are you doing the beef-up of the landing gear slot? I lost the entire nose in an unplanned arrival. Epoxy put it back on, but only after adding strength at the break with 2 short lengths of skewer either side. Now I seem to have a very heavy aircraft. Very sad. I might be forced to invent something else.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:53 PM
tjcarita
My Feedback: (1)

My Tiger Moth had a hard time getting off the ground with the 150 mAh battery that came with my flight pack, so I picked up a 730 mAh 7.4 V (2) cell Lithium Polymer Battery and Holy Cow ! What a difference that battery made. I also had to get a new charger to charger it. You cant uses just any charger to charge it . I went with the Triton Great planes Charger, it's not cheep...@ $129.99! This charger is perfect for the Li Poly packs. They say it's the best charger for all the types of batteries . I was so happy with the Lithium Polymer Thunder Power 730 mAh I went out and picked up another one but this time I went for the 860 mAh and both batteries give me any where form 30 to 50 minutes of flight time. It's incredible technology.
I fit the battery flat to the under side of the nose of the TM. I had to cut the foam on each side of the opening a little wider to fit the Li Polymer battery. I made it fit snug and kept it close to the front of the nose so it won't fall out and the weight was up front. The plane flies better with the larger 860 mAh battery because this plane need some weight up front to fly well. I'm having a blast now that I made these mod on it. She now has the power to fly in a little wind. Check out the tail wheel. It moves with the rudder. I should of put the wheel at the hinge but it works ok. Hope you can use this info !
TJC...
One more thing...... When using Lithium Polymer batteries be sure to read all the instructions that apply to this type of battery. They can be dangerous if miss handled.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86768.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	87497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51974.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	87498  
Old 01-04-2004, 03:08 PM
O2man
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the pics! it really helps to see what someone else has done. I never imagined that the batteries could go that far forward without getting nose heavy.

The tailwheel is very cool. It must be just a little twitchy on the ground with the attachpoint that far from the hinge, but mine gets off so quick and lands so slow, that ground handling hasn't been my greatest concern.