Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

Saito 150

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 01:31 AM
tomcat0111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 150

Saito 150

Packaged in a new white and gold carton, the 150 is an impressive engine “in the box”. I unpacked the engine and parts, thought about bench running the engine, then mounted it in a new Goldberg Decathlon. In retrospect, bench running would have been a better route to take. The engine was so tough to start and get running right initially that I thought perhaps the “improvements” to the 150 weren’t used on my unit. Turning over with a Sullivan High Torque starter required me to hold the starter on the Higley Heavy Hub while an assistant got through the first flip by helping the prop with a chicken stick. Once running, the 150 was rough and without a true idle, but it was very rich. Anything under 2000 rpm was chancy. After running a tank through at 4000 rpm or less, I somehow I managed to get 5 tanks (20 oz each) through the engine and took time off to adjust the valves. Now, this is not my first Saito, so I made sure the big gauge wouldn’t go through while the small one would without pushing. The instruction manual suggests adjusting the valves after some running, and it sure was warranted. The engine began to idle a little better with the valves set and a minor leaning of the low-end adjustment. I slowly leaned out the high end, generally after each subsequent tank, and the rpm’s naturally increased, but not until about 15 tanks were through the engine was I able to get a reliable idle. In fairness to Saito, I am use to the .56 and .91 engines, which broke in fast, and OS 120 FS units. My Zenoah 62 was like breaking in a weedeater, and really was a no brainer, so perhaps I wasn’t prepared for a rather “tight” 150 with a good amount of compression. I now have about 25 flights with the Decathlon and it’s 20 oz tank, and the big Saito is finally starting easily and idling well. During break-in and the slow “leaning” period I was a little surprised at the amount of fuel consumed by this single four stroker. Now the engine is turning a 16 x 8 Pro Zinger at about 8900 rpm and is still perhaps a little rich. Top rpm in the book is 10,500 but I am not sure which prop is being used – I intend to try some different ones (14x14, 15x10), but the 16x8 ain’t bad. In conclusion, I must say that I am beginning to like the beast. At ½ throttle, it pulls the 80” Decathlon around well and has a mellow, unstrained sound. 3D aerobatics are only as much of a problem as I make them (and I can make them a problem) on this high wing plane. I believe the engine is a good one, but would note that mine took longer to break in than any engine I have owned. Power to weight ratio is good, sound is great, torque seems good, and it is finally a one flip starter. Guess a guy just has to be patient.