Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera Lama 400

Old 09-16-2010, 07:03 PM
RickVS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walkera Lama 400

Hi. Iam interested in buying this heli. It's a large coaxial that will help me learn controls outside. However, xheli.com says that the parts availability can be fickle. Do you know of a reliable source for parts for this bird if I bought it? Thanks.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:09 PM
RickVS

Default RE: Walkera Lama 400

Well, looks like Ibought it! Keeping my fingers crossed . . .
Old 09-17-2010, 07:21 AM
erdnuckel2

Hi (again) Rick,

I see, you already did what I suggested in the BigLama thread. As I said there, unfortunately here on RCUniverse there are not many people that even bother to write about walkera helis in general, but this one in particular - you would have a lot more luck in other places. (I tried to keep a Lama400 thread going right here, the fact that you did not even find it says a lot about how the interest of the people here on RCU for this particular bird is, doesn't it?? ...)

As far as parts are concerned, I usually get mine directly from China (miracle-mart, rc711, and whereever I find the then cheapest ...)

In the US I would say helidirect has one of the biggest "portfolios" of rather decently priced parts for many, many helis ... so as well for the Lama400, but there is also always wowhobbies, which specializes in Walkera, but which also has significantly higher prices ...
Then there is helipal and chinesejade for walkera parts, but this is -again- in china (as the name already suggests) , ... and there are many others that you will come across along the way

I also started a blog for it here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1303158
... but that has been a little neglected lately ... which will hopefullly change again soon ...

Would be nice if this thread could finally capture a bigger audience (as the other one did not ... ...)

Read you later
Sven
Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 AM
RickVS

Thanks Sven. I'll try those sites for parts. Hopefully we'll generate some interest for this impressive looking bird.

Rick
Old 09-17-2010, 05:40 PM
ksm1969

Hello. I have a Lama 400D and i love it. It is a little slow but you can do some adjustments to make it zing. I get my parts for wowhobbies..KSM1969
Old 09-17-2010, 08:45 PM
RickVS

Thanks for the site. What do you do to make it more responsive? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:21 AM
ksm1969

On the receiver of the 400D there is 2 adjustment. One for sesetivity and one for the servo's to make the servo's advance more. You will figure it out..
Old 09-19-2010, 08:43 AM
RickVS

Okay, thanks!
Old 09-19-2010, 06:43 PM
erdnuckel2

spotlanding with my Lama400 ... (oooops, couldn't find the canopy anymore ...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyKro2BpNIE

have fun ...

Old 09-19-2010, 07:25 PM
RickVS

Nice job landing! I need a spot about three times as big just for my MCX2 . . .
Old 09-19-2010, 08:11 PM
erdnuckel2

Thanks!! ... well, if you liked that, check this one out (proofs I still have to improve my skills a lot for stuff like that ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dCbu0F0ej0

Enjoy!
Old 10-09-2010, 06:56 AM
aknitroguy
My Feedback: (82)

Hi, My kids are getting old enough to take an interest in the hobby. Bought a blade mini cx and MSR for playing inside. My son started flying the MCX and now has no problems hovering around his older sister.
Anyway I bought a Lama 400D and an esky outdoor Lama (400). Having never looked at either heli. They are two completely different birds. The Walkera is +/- $70 more and worth every penney of it. Has an actual frame set that would make a lot of CP heli's jealous. Very thought out in design layout and finish. The battery snaps into a compartment and is almost twice as big 1500mah vs 800mah both 3s.
It is a bit heavier than the esky and the blades are thinner. This sounds bad, but is better for the same reason; Wind penatration. The 400D will hang in a breeze way better than the BOL. The thinner blades tend to resist the kite effect. It still does it, just holds it's own a little better.
Mine came with the 2402 radio. This is a very nice radio. I just wish I had the version with dual rates (the new ones have them). Hovered hands off right out of the box.
In my opinion a great rc value for under $200. Please don't think I am bashing the esky BOL, it is a nifty little heli and my kids have a blast with it. I keep the 400D up on the "don't touch" shelf lol.
I would really like to talk with you folks about this heli, and who knows maybe we can get a thread going? Let's hope!
Happy hovering,
Jay
Old 10-09-2010, 09:04 AM
RickVS

Hi. Ibought the Walkera Lama 400 Coast Guard version and had to return it to xheli. It was hard to control because it wouldn't respond to rudder. It also isn't as durable as the Esky. In a video Isaw of the BOL it was crashing all over the place and not much would happen to it. With my Walkera, the thin plastic scale body has broken in half 3 times. So hopefully xheli will send me one that works and I'll have great things to say.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:11 PM
erdnuckel2

ORIGINAL: aknitroguy

Hi, My kids are getting old enough to take an interest in the hobby. Bought a blade mini cx and MSR for playing inside. My son started flying the MCX and now has no problems hovering around his older sister.
Anyway I bought a Lama 400D and an esky outdoor Lama (400). Having never looked at either heli. They are two completely different birds. The Walkera is +/- $70 more and worth every penney of it. Has an actual frame set that would make a lot of CP heli's jealous. Very thought out in design layout and finish. The battery snaps into a compartment and is almost twice as big 1500mah vs 800mah both 3s.
It is a bit heavier than the esky and the blades are thinner. This sounds bad, but is better for the same reason; Wind penatration. The 400D will hang in a breeze way better than the BOL. The thinner blades tend to resist the kite effect. It still does it, just holds it's own a little better.
Mine came with the 2402 radio. This is a very nice radio. I just wish I had the version with dual rates (the new ones have them). Hovered hands off right out of the box.
In my opinion a great rc value for under $200. Please don't think I am bashing the esky BOL, it is a nifty little heli and my kids have a blast with it. I keep the 400D up on the "don't touch" shelf lol.
I would really like to talk with you folks about this heli, and who knows maybe we can get a thread going? Let's hope!
Happy hovering,
Jay
Hi Jay,

highlighted: tried that twice, didn't work (here - while there is not that much of a problem elsewhere ... ...)

However,
I would also like to get a thread going here, so Iam always happy to contribute. I just bought another Lama400 "classic". I call it classic, because it is the blue & red version of the original Lama400 that Walkera released around spring 2009 or so ... This one is my 3rd (got a Lama400D and a EC135 already) ... and I also have/hade several BOL's ...
Personally I like the BOL because of the moddig possibilities it offers, but Ido somehow have to agree with you as the more Ifly with both and can compare them Ifeel more comfortable with the 400 than with the BOL ...
The Lama400 classic was more of a business decision and will basically become a ginni pig/demo project (which is almost sad considering it has the most beautiful fuselage Ihave seen on an rtf coax up to date ... until now nothing as detailed and intricate ...
Then again, someone got to be the ginni - in my hangar it will be the 400 (for certain reason). The next thing that is going to happen with it:
It will be taken apart and the main frame holders (which contain bearing that are rather NOT up to their task - unfortunately) as well as the servohlolder and upper bearing housing will be replaced - and it will receive a swashplate mod that will become necessary because of changing the servoholder ...
That will hopefully all go on video pretty soon ...

RickVS
Iam sorry to hear you have so many troubles with your Lama400 ... and Iam surprised you are so disappointed in the fuse (I would expect the red/white coastguard fuse to be as intricate as the blue & red new "Maryland State Troopers" [do they really have these in MD??- didn't think so!] one). Also, Iam surprised that yours was less durable than the BOL fuse (which I know well ... and also the plastic it uses ...) Anyway, Ihope you will get a new one you like better soon.

For now, anyone interested feel free to check out my videos on youtube in general (my channel name is helideluxe2010) and this one in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-toHyZZ4pI

Enjoy!

Sven

Old 10-12-2010, 04:30 AM
aknitroguy

Hi,
RickVS,
Sounds like you got a bad mixing board for it to not work at all. I hope it all works out for you. Please let us know.
I bought the 400D because the landing gear looks kind of weak on the scale model and have heard a lot of horror stories about them showing up cracked. It is a very nice scale ship with the lights and all. My son flies mine so I went for the one with the tougher looking skids.

Sven,
Nice video! That is a good example of how smooth the 400 hovers. I know it had to be moving the air around in that room. I really noticed how well the little gyro works on these helis. I was doing some big circles and figure eights while rotating front to back, let go of the stick and it pops right straight and hovers. I mostly use the 401 Futaba on my big birds and I was really suprised how hard you can push this coax heli. I am going to mount a camera on mine and I will post some video of my neighborhood. The camera and mount will be here any day from HK. Speaking of HK, have you ordered from the DE warehouse yet? The usa Warehouse is open. I ordered a HKGT500 and turns out they are in Lakewood Washington about 200 miles from me. A 500 class that is pretty close knock off to my Trex 500 to my door for $84.96 and came pretty as a picture, without a scratch. At that price I feel way more comfortable pushing my skills than my $400.00 Trex. I can replace the kit for the price of a align tailboom. I ordered it tuesday morning and had it before noon thursday $7.00 for priority shipping! I hope your having the same luck with the DE warehouse..
Take care and happy hovering,
Jay
Old 10-15-2010, 01:58 AM
aknitroguy

Sven, Rick?
Where did you guys go? Just got my camera and mount from HK today. Hopefully will be showing off the roof of my house by saturday lol. I am excited. This is my first AP venture. I will post pictures of my set up.
I'll be back... Hopefully with a video!
Happy hovering!
Jay
Old 10-15-2010, 08:57 AM
RickVS

Hi guys! I am still waiting for xheli to either send me a new 400 or a repaired 400, so Ihave no heli to fly at the moment. A camera sounds great! Looking forward to the pictures.

Rick
Old 10-15-2010, 02:15 PM
erdnuckel2

Sorry to hear that you got such troubles with Xheli and cant get back in the air ... its rather discouraging ... I never had a problem with them, but it seems obvious this is only the case because they are good as long as you order and they ship - if there is anything wrong once you got your stuff it looks more and more like you are scrood ... and that makes me said because it means that all the stuff I got from there and all my positive experiences are worthless, as I will not make a positive experience if I go to them with a problem ... thats at least how it looks to me as you are just one among many who have similar troubles ...

Sven
Old 11-07-2010, 02:31 PM
dchin62973

We bought the Walkera Lama 400D and its a great large sized co-axial helicopter. It flys very smoothly as the main gear is fine using a 15t pinion for the two large motors. We didn;t like the stock carbon brushed motors and swapped it into a twin brushless motor system. Walkera also made an all body canopy for these large sized co-axials. They have the Walkera Lama 400 in military desert all body canopy and the Walkera EC-135. These co-axials alll have the same airframe but instead of a landing gear being a skid it may have landing wheels.

Lama 400D is a separate canopy/tail in RED or YELLOW. We like this option the best as it is easy to get into the insides quickly.
Lama EC-135 is an all body canopy utilizing a landing skid.
Lama 400 is an all body canopy utilizing landing gear wheels. It comes in Desert camuflage colors.

Below is a video is a modified Walkera Lama 400D with a twin brushless motor system.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwB3ckViMQw[/youtube]

Below is a video of the Walkera Lama EC-135 modified with a twin brushless motor system.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy4-KhjsWF8[/youtube]

[8D]
Old 11-07-2010, 04:28 PM
RickVS

Hi Sven. Well, xHeli actually sent me a brand spanking new helicopter, so I'm pretty pleased. Did take a month though. But good in the end. Too windy to fly, but I thought I'd let you know that xHeli came through for me.

Rick
Old 11-07-2010, 08:50 PM
erdnuckel2

Glad to hear that, Rick!! It's good to hear Xheli came through.
I mean, I never really had a problem with them ... I just don't know whats gonna happen once I do ...
And I am also glad this thread still gets used every once in a while ...

My next project in connection with my Lama400 is already in the planning phase ... I guess I will "scratch built" a Lama400 ... but with many mods and tuning parts ... it will be detailed on my blog on RCgroups but Iwill link to it hear ... once I am more or less done.

Now its getting winter and the tinkering will increase

Sven