Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Is Walkera HM UFLY a good beginner copter?

Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Is Walkera HM UFLY a good beginner copter?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Dave_d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Walkera HM UFLY a good beginner copter?

So basically I got a toy coax heli that I've been playing around with. (ASyma 022 for anyone that's wondering) So I've kind of got an itch to step up to the next thing.(Well,okI'd probably take the plunge in March since it's kind of cold togo out flying around herein winter.)From what I read that's a fixed pitch single blade copter. I've seen a few like the Honey Bee V2 but from what I've seen it looks like the HM UFLY is a better copter. (Brushless motor, shaft driven rear propeller, and that 3 axis gyro.) Like this one
www.xheli.com/walkeraheli-uflys-rtf.html

So anybody got an opinion if that's a good step up to a fixed pitch copter? Any gotchas that a newbie like me should keep in mind when buying one. (I think I read on another post that some hobby stores replace parts in the ufly with their own which arn't as good. If I were to get this copter which places would use stock parts?) Of course if this goes well maybe I'll upgrade to a CP heli like a blade 400

Old 11-07-2010, 04:44 PM
matmini

Default RE: Is Walkera HM UFLY a good beginner copter?

it's going to be a rather big step. It will fly completely different. You're correct in that the u-fly has better parts and may even be put together better. I am fortunate enough to live close to one of the only U.S. shippers of Walkera helicopters and parts. Wow hobbies is based here in Orange California. They have a great showroom and when I purchased my helicopter online I went down and watched them unbox and fly it for me. They have a fantastic operation and all parts on hand ready to ship. I hope this info helps, I know I went a little off subject. I mastered the blade MSR and was looking at an SR when I discovered Walkera. I purchased a CB180z profly. Very happy so far after about ten flights.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Dave_d

ORIGINAL: matmini

it's going to be a rather big step. It will fly completely different. You're correct in that the u-fly has better parts and may even be put together better. I am fortunate enough to live close to one of the only U.S. shippers of Walkera helicopters and parts. Wow hobbies is based here in Orange California. They have a great showroom and when I purchased my helicopter online I went down and watched them unbox and fly it for me. They have a fantastic operation and all parts on hand ready to ship. I hope this info helps, I know I went a little off subject. I mastered the blade MSR and was looking at an SR when I discovered Walkera. I purchased a CB180z profly. Very happy so far after about ten flights.
I guess I'll find out when I make that stepSeriously though it was a bit of an eye opener when I tried HeliSimRc after flying my Syma for a bit. (Quite a bit more difficult.) I guess that's a question, is HeliSimRC anything like flying a real RC copter?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:54 AM
karlik

The CB180 might be a better choice as a first single rotor. It might be a little easier to learn the basics and get hover down in all orientations.

I have the ufly and it is a great heli, but I've heard the 180 is a bit more stable in a hover. A lot depends on you.

My ufly came from wow in calif. I don't think it was a factory built heli - it appeared to be something they assembled from parts. The tail boom didn't have the factory indents to hold the bearings in place. The servos were defective right out of the box - and none of them was the factory servo for the ufly. I assume they used something less expensive. The esc was defective right out the box - again this wasn't even a walkera. I had to replace 2 servos, the esc, and the the receiver (the receiver they used wouldn't work with the factory walkera esc so both the esc and receiver had to be replaced as a set).
Wow didn't offer any help at all, and each time I contacted Walkera they would only say that the part number I had was not the correct part for the ufly, they couldn't support the wrong part being i9nstalled, and that they were "very angry I had been sold a modified ufly". It wound up costing me an additional $130 dollars replacing all of the defective stuff before I could get a full battery pack into it, but now that is an actual ufly with all the correct parts it's a nice little heli. If you buy the ufy, make sure you get a factory ufly and not one assembled from parts pulled from a shelf.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Dave_d

ORIGINAL: karlik

The CB180 might be a better choice as a first single rotor. It might be a little easier to learn the basics and get hover down in all orientations.

I have the ufly and it is a great heli, but I've heard the 180 is a bit more stable in a hover. A lot depends on you.

My ufly came from wow in calif. I don't think it was a factory built heli - it appeared to be something they assembled from parts. The tail boom didn't have the factory indents to hold the bearings in place. The servos were defective right out of the box - and none of them was the factory servo for the ufly. I assume they used something less expensive. The esc was defective right out the box - again this wasn't even a walkera. I had to replace 2 servos, the esc, and the the receiver (the receiver they used wouldn't work with the factory walkera esc so both the esc and receiver had to be replaced as a set).
Wow didn't offer any help at all, and each time I contacted Walkera they would only say that the part number I had was not the correct part for the ufly, they couldn't support the wrong part being i9nstalled, and that they were "very angry I had been sold a modified ufly". It wound up costing me an additional $130 dollars replacing all of the defective stuff before I could get a full battery pack into it, but now that is an actual ufly with all the correct parts it's a nice little heli. If you buy the ufy, make sure you get a factory ufly and not one assembled from parts pulled from a shelf.
That sounds terrible. (I mean getting so many substandard parts.) GuessI'll have to check harder to see who sells a stock UFLY. So that 3 axis gyro doesn't stabilize it that much? (That's one thing that I thought would help me. Basically I'd turn it up until I was decent and then slowly turn it down as I got better.)
Old 11-11-2010, 01:05 PM
karlik

I think the cb180z uses the same 3way as the ufly?

The tail gyro is a heading hold gyro, and does a really good considering the overall price of the heli. If a breeze turns the tail, it snaps back to where it was. The pitch and roll gyros are basic rate gyros, they try to slow or stop movement, but they won't return to the original position like the HH tail. In my oppinion, the pitch and roll gyros do a nice job of reacting to sudden movement like a gust of wind. If I get hit by a light gust from the right, the heli will make a quick move to the left then the gyro will either stop it or usually slow it down a whole bunch so I have more time to react and correct. And there is nothing to correct for the balloon effect wind has on a light FP like this - it'll still shoot up when it gets hit by wind.
But on a calm day or in a real light breeze you don't even know the 3way is there, except for the very stable tail.

My brother has the cb100, which is a smaller version of the cb180 with the 45° flybar (but not the 3 way gyro). It's a very stable heli, I actually learned to nose in with it in the bedroom. I assume the larger cb180 would handle the same especially since the 180z also has the 3way, but since I haven't flown the 180 I can't say for sure.

If you click the karlik53 name below the youtube video I linked below you can look at my recent videos and get an idea of my skill level. I was at the same point as you not too far back, and I'm only a little further along than you now. I'm not an expert at this either, so if you get advice from someone with more experience or knowledge...

This is a video I made when I first got my ufly. [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZA8DjGrtUk[/link]
You can hear both radios turned on and bind, then the pitch and roll servos make a nasty buzz for about a minute - and neither one will respond to stick input at all during that buzz. The first problem I had was one or both servos would lock up during flight which resulted in 1 nasty crash. After that I tried to just maintain a stable hover low to the ground and when to heli stopped responding to my input I killed throttle and made a hard landing. As expected, the servos were making this buzz and wouldn't react to stick input at all. I sent a link to this video to wow and described my problem and was told the ufly is hard to fly and I should buy the cb180z until I have learned to fly. The servos they used were walkera wk-09-7. I have been unable to find those at www.walkera.com, and all the folks at walkera would tell me was it doesn't belong in the ufy.

After I replaced the servos I was able to keep it in the air long enough to find the next problem - the esc. The esc was from some outfit called Feigao (chinese?). The bec (battery eliminator) part of it would cut off and the shut the heli down (which means no control and no motor - just a $250 rock) at random times. A few times it would shut down before it even left the ground but more often it was 45 seconds into flight or whenever. This happened with 6 different batteries and they all checked at a full charge of 8.4 volts after those 5 to 45 second flights. After I replaced it with the walkera esc (and the matching receiver) it flies fine on those same 6 batteries. Wow didn't even respond to requests for help and after 2 emails to feigao with no reply I just gave up and threw it away.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Dave_d

Wow, that's kind of lousy Karlik. (I mean all your problems with the junk parts on the UFLY. It seems pretty obvious to me it's junk and I'm a newbie to this.) Have you had better luck with other online hobby stores?(Since Wowhobby sounds like a definite no no.) Thanks for clarify about the gyros btw. So are you still flying the UFLYor are you trying to transition to a CPbird yet? (I'm still undecided but then again I wasn't planning on buying until March'ish so I can afford to be a bit indecisive.)