Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera V400D01

Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 PM
SalemRich
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walkera V400D01

Anyone have any experience with the Walkera V400D01 flybarless CP heli. WowHobbies has it at $159 including the new WK2603 TX. Looks like a great deal and the UTube test flights make it appear to be very stable. Anyone got actual experience with this one?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Flying Fiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Walkera V400D01

Hi,

If you are talking about the V400D02 (I haven't ever seen a V400D01) then yes, I have one and YESit is amazingly stable.

Put it this way if you can fly a blade MSR and you take it slowly with this heli, then you will be flying it on your first battery!

Yep big call I know but it's true - it is 100 times more stablethan my Blade 400 (may it rest on the shelf) and a whole lot more stable than any of my other quality 400 helis- IT is a game changer. You can bring it in the air and take your hans off the tx like an MSR, of course you cant do this for long (a few seconds) but you cant dothat for a nano second with any other CP heli that I know.

Buy it you won't be dissapointed.

If your a newbie to CP heli's then I'd suggest training gear and taking it nice and slowly because even though its stable if your quiet on the sticks it can get moving very rapidly when up and about, also training gear would be a good idea to help protect the tail rotors and tail setup if you come down a bit too hard!

I now own two of them, I bought a BNF oneafter having way too much fun with my first one at the local park (with a crowd watching on) I forgot about how long I'd been up in the air for (more than 10 mins) and I hadn't set any timing warning and you guessed it - battery swithed off 100 feet up with the heli in FFF and down she came. Luckily I can use most of it for spares, surprisingly including the blades (I guess because they had stopped rotating) but the whole heli frame and mountings busted on impact.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM
SalemRich
Banned

Yes, my mistake it is a V400D02. - Thanks for your input. It is very much appreciated. I did order training gear along with the V400D02. I will take your advice about taking it very slow and plan to follow a step by step instruction course offered by rchelicopterfun.com.

It's good to hear from an actual owner of the V400D02 that the on-line reviews aren't just hype. I also appreciate the wowhobbies policy of test flying all their Walkera helis prior to shipping and their no DOA gurantee. Hopefully that will lessen the preflight set up time. My only down side is that I live near the ocean in Brookings, OR so most days are fairly windy (and rainy) which will cut down on flight time.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:39 PM
i20sailor

I'm also looking for the next step after the mSR. Have read many negatives regarding a tail motor instead of a belt drive. Any negatives with the V400D02 since it has a tail motor?

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Flying Fiz

Hi i20sailor,

Yes I too was concerned about the tail, having had a blade SR and went through a tail motor hovering around the ground, in fact I went through 4 tail motors on the SR and I didn't ever really fly that thing properly.

However, to date with the V400D02 I have nothad any tail issues whatsoever and I've flown it long and hard. So far so good, the other thing with the V400D02 is that the tail holds very well, the Blade SR was always buzzing and trying to keep up, whereas the V400D02 just flies like a belt driven tailCP heli.

I really can't say anything but great things about this heli.

Hey Salemrich

I'm not sure of your flying level, experience or ability, so a few comments, if you are coming off a co-axial and not something like an MSR or a 120 SR then this will still be a big step up, so you will need to take things very slowly, but don't be afraid of it,and it will spook you the first time you spool it up as its big and the blades really get going and make some serious noise compared to any FP heli, but it really is unbelievably stable, just get it off the ground to chest height and try and keep it hovering in front of you, make TINYlittle adjustments on the sticks and counter every stickmovement with a tiny countermovement (otherwise like all CP helis it will just keep on going in the direction of the last input).

And if you get spoked in the air DONTbring it back down toearth too fastby whipping the throttle down like an MSR otherwise you will grab some negative pitch and slam it into the turf - Not Good!

However as I said if you can properly control an MSR and keep it moving very slowly just where you want it to go I guarantee you will be able to fly this heli - BUT if you've only flown co-axials then I would strongly recommend getting a MSR first and getting that under control before you progress to this heli, you will crash the MSR at first but it doesn't matter whereas crashing the V400D02 will matter.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:19 PM
macz

I went with the v120d03.... I like the micros....if u want something smaller this thing flies as stable as my msr!!!! I might sell the msr to get the 100d01 just tryin to justify $185 for a tiny micro..Then again $50 more than the msr and TAGS better tx and brushless and aluminum landing gear.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:49 PM
SalemRich
Banned

Fiz - that's good advice, great in fact. I do plan to take it very slowly. I've pretty much mastered a coaxial 600 class and am not taking anything for granted, but I'm hoping some of my 30 + years of RC driving and flying experience will give me a bit of a leg up.

I did fly (actually just hover mostly) a micro FP, but wanted something Icould fly outside since there isn't much space in my apartment.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Flying Fiz

You will be fine if you take it slowly! Lets us know what you think and how it goes.

Don't waste too much time in the safety of a one foot off the ground hover, once it gets light on the skids get it up to chest hieght tail in and then be VERYSUBTLE on the sticks and you will be amazed.

Enjoy.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 AM
i20sailor

Can a DX6i be bound to a Walkera Heli? I thought I read somewhere that this did not work. Just curious since I'd like to get a DX6i for my mSR but am also looking at getting a V400D02 as my outside heli.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 AM
macz

I don't think so...what I've been reading around.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Flying Fiz

Macz is correct Walkera helis only bind to their own proprietary systems.

But if you do get the Walkera2801 tx, which is a very good tx it will fly all Walkera helis, (like the DX6i and blade helis) so if you want to buy another Walkera, you just buy a BNF version.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:33 PM
SalemRich
Banned

Hey Fiz - Just noticed you are an Auzzi. "Good on ya mate"  I spent about a year in your beautiful country several years ago.  Mostly in Melbourne, but about two months in Sydney.  Really enjoyed Bondi Beach and riding the Ferry.  There was a gal who created quite a stir at the time riding it topless.  The people were very friendly and at that time the raido stations had DJ's that, except for pronouncing Zee as Zed, couldn't be told fromt their US counter parts.  The newspapers were full of news from the US (mostly critical because the Vietnam war was in full swing) and there was a white Australian Policy.  I would imagine things are a lot different now.  At the time I was struck with how well dressed everyone was and the lack of police presence. 

It was very inexpensive to live, but hard goods were very expensive.  You could get a pie and veggie lunch with a beer for 2 and 6 which was about $.40, but a new Chvy that could be bought in the us for around $14,000 was over $30,000 USD and a TV was around $800 for one that could be bought in the US for $250.  I worked at several jobs including on an assembly line for Holden Motors, as a college travler for McGraw Hill and as a ski instructor.   If it hadn't been for my alergies, I probably would have stayed longer.  The women were all knock outs and there were no chubsters.  Very cool!! 

Question:  Will the Walkera WK2603 TX that comes with the V400D02 work with any Walkera heli - the V200D01 for example? 

Old 01-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Flying Fiz

Mate,

Glad you enjoyed your time in Oz.

Yes lots has changed but some things just stay the same - Thebabes are still babes and Bondi and any of our beaches are still the best buthard goods are still very expensive and being a bit of a car nut it kills me to see how little you pay for quality cars in the US compared to us. I bought a BMWM3 (the new V8 one) a couple of years ago - it cost me $186,000!!! in the States that same car is around $60,000 to $75,000 depending on how you spec it (they come standard with everything here). A blade SR is $300 bucks here ($190 in the States) - some and a lot of other Aussies arebig fans of the HK clones (even though I do ownsome genAlign Trex helis.

Also the Walkera V400D02 is a very good price so I don't mind buying Walkera, I think they are improving the quality of their helis every new one they produce. They used to be a bit average particularly the electronics.

But I digress, I believe that the 2603 Tx should work with any other Walkera, except some of the higher end 3G flybarless like the V450D01-it comes with the 2801 tx.

I have flown a number of my walkeras with the 2603, namely the V200D02, the HM4#6s, although with one of those the rudder or elevator control was reversed. I think it was the V200D02, but I understand that the 2603 should flymost Walkeras.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:44 PM
SalemRich
Banned

Thanks Fiz - without the FX the Walkeras are cheaper than buying parts. I see where wowhobbies has the V400D02 for only $139 USD now. Speaking of Wow - Wow those car prices are outragious. That's what you get for driving on the wrong side of the road!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:07 PM
SalemRich
Banned

Flying Fiz

My V400D02 arrived in great shape (WowHobbies pre testes them prior to delivery). I was able to attach the practice gear and hover it a few inches off the deck without much trouble, but Idon't want to go further until I have some sim time and understand thetransmitter set up.

My biggest problem is that I don't have a clue how to set up the WK2603 that came with it and the user manual might as well be written in Greek. Any suggestions as toa link that offers step by step explinations of thetransmitter controls? The manual names them, but doesn't describe their use.

I'm thinking there must be somewhere on the net that explains this a lot better than what our friends in China were able to do. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Also:
In playing around with it, I probably screwed up the transmitter settings. Does it reset to the factorydefaults once it is turned off and on? I would really appreciate a switch by switch and control by control explination ofall the controls (V1, Gear, Throttle limited height switch, etc. etc.) I'm guessing since it has trim switches for rudder and aileron theWK2603 is also used to fly RC planes as well. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:47 AM
macz

The gear switch doesnt work due to the 3 axis gyro..the throttle limited hight switch gives you 50% of throttle when flipped down good for noobs...elev/aleron leave up gives you full extent of servos down gives you half...f mode switch leave back thats the throttle hold pull forward and its an idle up...as far as the settings Im not really sure how to reset or mess with them..try helifreak.com those guys can help u.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:22 PM
SalemRich
Banned

Macz - OK thanks, but take me through this:

1. Gear switch (top left of tx): Is offflipped to the rear?
2. F Mode (top right of tx): What does it do and how is it set?
3. A switch (left upper front): What does it do and how is it set?
4. Does V1sets throttle speed?
5. Does V2 limit blade movement?

What does EXP PLT PIT RUDMIX GYRO at bottom of LCD display mean? PLT is currently selected.

Do you know of any place on the net that explains how to set this up? I'm able to hover my V400D02 a few inches off the ground and move it around with the training gear, but it's a crash waiting to happen if I don't understand the controls and my sim has a controller that is not computerized.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the above. It will be much appreciated.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:59 AM
macz

The gear switch can put in any direction I think it was safety measure so you could check your pitch but its disabled, your f mode is flight mode like idle up that needs to be off once on the blades automatically spin. the v 1and 2 are set they wont do anything unless you get into the settings..youtube has sorta a setup video of the 400...[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj2E-gfOy38[/link] You could email them they can probably help you rtf-heli.com I bought blades from them and they are pretty helpful.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:00 PM
SalemRich
Banned

Thanks Macz - I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I am assuming that off means F switch is pushed back and on would be forward.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:54 AM
macz

yea you'll know when your in F mode the blades spin up pretty quick its for inverted flight and wind conditions..
Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 AM
FCRC

Has anyone tried the conversion to brushless on the V400D02 themselves?  I know RTF-Heli has a kit available for purchase, but figured I'd ask given the accumlating parts I am beginning to have on hand.  Upon changing my main gear, the mounting hole on the motor stripped out so I figured I may attempt to convert over while it is apart.