Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:08 PM
demenicis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

I saw a video on youtube showing one of those new models of blades breaking during flight, that is why they will have to be 4mm thick.

but I have thenew walkera metal head with the 4mm super blades installed on my heli anyway (there are pictures 8-10 pages ago on this forum)

Regards,

D.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 PM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

d - thanks for the update. Sorry to hear that!

Chuck
Old 11-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Odd Job
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Chuck,[img]file:///C:/Users/MIKEHI~1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/img][img]file:///C:/Users/MIKEHI~1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.png[/img] Demenicis ...how have you guys been? Been flying lately? I haven't had the time and haven't touched my Sabre for at least a month maybe two. Last time I flew it, my tail rotor is not keeping up with my needs...May have to get another rear rotor.

Looking to get something new...may stay with a FP...up in the air still.....I have time to contemplate

Odd Job
Old 11-27-2010, 10:16 AM
clp.eng

odd job - good to hear from you, but bad to hear you're not flying. I spent a lot of time this summer flying the 450s in the wind. My goal had been to learn nose in & failed miserably! So this winter, I've put the training gear on the Guru (a nice belt driven FP, BTW) & will try to follow [link=http://www.mikeysrc.com/RC-Helicopters-Learn-To-Fly-Video-Series.html]MikeysRC[/link] vids on how to do it. I've also been practicing nose in & orientation movement with the msR. And lastly, on occasion when I can force myself, I fire up the sim to practice.

On really windy days, I've been doing this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-DfJKeLbk[/youtube] LOL

There are some pretty good options for FP these days, some w/o a tail motor!

Get back flying! That's an order! lol

Chuck
Old 11-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Odd Job

Chuck!

That RC car stuff is pretty cool...couple of kids down the block have those and they are a blast!! I was thinking about those too but i'll stick to fly for now. I think I do need a new tail motor, when I do my pirorettes the rotation is really slow compared to my 5#10 and it' rotates faster left than right. Awhile ago I flew my buddys Align (hover) and it's very responsive and actually more stable compared to my Sabre...so right now it's all about saving $$ to buy a quality heli.Just been "working" a lot. Haven't even fired up the SIM!

I'll get into flying again this weekend and will give you a report.....great catching up with ya! See ya here soon!

Odd Job

Old 11-29-2010, 05:24 AM
demenicis

Hi guys,

that was so long since I flew for the last time,
The winter started here in england, and if the fact that the sun normally sets at about 16:30 is not enough, the english people decided to move the clock 1 hour backwards which means the sun sets now at 15:30!!!! (that is MAD). It prevents me to come from work and have my late evening flight.

Anyway, I have bought several items for my guru-z frame and after running short of flight time with the standard motor due to the increased overall weight, I finally installed the 380 brushed motor on it at although I didn't really fly it yet, some quick tests at home showed that the heli wants to take off in about 1/5 of the trotle! I heard the flight time will increase too despite the bigger size of the motor due to the fact that it doesn't suck so much from the battery pack. I will let you guys know.

Also I spent a bit of time making an adaptor to use the "auto-rotation" system on a 3mm walkera shaft, it fits as a treat but it will require the belt tail otherwise if I turn the troltle down the main blades will carry on moving but the tail will stop and you can guess what is going to happen (altough it is really cool the fact that we can land and switch everything off and the blades will still be spinning, at least that sounds very reallistic!).

Last thing (just out of curiosity), i bought amilling machine and now I'm doing a project that might be usefull for us.
This milling machine I bought is gonna have a "baby" which will be a 150X150X90mm aliminium CNC one.

When it is up and running I will be able to produce several parts, including new types of frames straight from electronic files like autocad, coreldraw or even from solidworks (that is the software i use to work with). My plans are to finish the mechanical parts and to receive the driver, step motors and power unit from china til the end of the year, but I will take at least a month to figure out how to use the software and how to "interface" the machine with the DWG files.

I'll post some pictures of the first components very soon if you guys are interested about it,

Nice to speak to you guys again,

See U,
D.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:46 AM
demenicis

Hi Chuck,

I forgot to mention how bloody stable and resistentthis litle RC car is.....it is increadible how it lands perfectly flat on the ground.....well done

And the skate park is also a great place to play....and probably to "destroy" the litle toy!!!!

Regards,

D.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 AM
clp.eng

odd job - think CLONE! They are much cheaper than the Align but pretty good quality. Most are 100% compatable which means parts are every where! I have 2 different brands & they are both great fliers. It mostly depends on the electrics you put on ANY heli. Did you get out to fly this weekend? Work, what's that??? I'm out of work 7 months now & going crazy at home!

d - that's one ambitious project you set for yourself. Be sure to let us know how it goes! You will be able to make any part for any heli! You can even develop your own parts! WOW! Let me know what your flight times are with the new motor. We really need to get you into a brushless motor! LOL

Welcome to CDST (Central Daylight Saving Time)! This is the dummest thing I ever heard of! Nobody is saving any time anywhere. The US has been doing this for years. I don't understand....

I broke the Slash the 1st time I drove it in a high speed (30+MPH) flip. It was $3 & about 1 hour to fix. It hasn't broken since. It is one tough little (1/10th scale) truck. And fun to drive. Not nearly as challenging as the heli though. LOL

Chuck
Old 01-05-2011, 03:17 AM
demenicis

Hi guys,

this is just to updateyou guysabout my mini-cnc milling machine.

the mechanical bits are nearly ready, motors (X and Y)are coupled and tested, and today I received a PCI parallel port card to install on my desktop so I can test the comunication between computer&software and machine.

I guess I'll take a little while til I manage to transfer an autocad drawing to the machine successfully but I'll get there eventually. Also the milling head still has to be designed (or bought, I don't know yet).

I'll do the fisrt movement tests useing a simple pen and messuring the results, repetibility, etc...

I'm looking foward to be able to fabricate several upgrades for my heli (and for yours as well if possible), thats gonna be fun.

thanks

Demenicis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73640.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1542662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32069.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1542663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91822.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1542664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91518.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1542665  
Old 01-05-2011, 09:22 AM
clp.eng

Demenicis - What a wicked looking machine. Good luck & I hope it works well for you! Here's your 1st project assignment: blade stiffener for the Honey Bee type head. It's used on the Guru as well. I've seen pics of homemade ones (see attached). LOL

Happy New Year to everybody as well!

Chuck

Picture credit = RMG2 (Randy)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lj22700.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1542756  
Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Odd Job

odd job - think CLONE! They are much cheaper than the Align but pretty good quality. Most are 100% compatable which means parts are every where! I have 2 different brands & they are both great fliers.
Chuck...what brands do you recommend. I'm thinking about the Dynam E-Razor 450, EXI, Heli-Sky, E-Sky or even a E-Flite Blade 400
All 450 sized...
Old 01-05-2011, 01:57 PM
clp.eng

oddjob - I really like my EXI 450. In fact, I'm building another one a little more upscale (aluminum, better electrics, CF blades, SST hardware) than the 1st one. I bought an HK450 plastic cheap from a friend to keep as a spare. It flies well too. I worry about the durability of the plastic parts. For me the EXI wins hands down because I can get parts from Xheli fairly cheap & quick delivery. However, it is a pain in the azz to change out the servos.

As far as I know, the EXI, HK, and several other brands all use the same parts (T-Rex 450 V2 clones). Though it's getting "old" in hobby terms. Several newer versions have been released recently; things like new frames, shaft drive tails, etc.

Dynam electronics seems to have a less than stellar reputation. A couple of guys I know did not like the Blade 400 - bad servos, hard to fix & spares are pricey - but VERY available. I was looking at it before I got the EXI. Other then the Honey Bee V2 I don't know anything about E-Sky CPs. Hobby King has some as well & very inexpensive parts but takes weeks to get them here in IL.

If I was loaded, I would buy the Furion 450. It is really well engineered, looks great & flies well. Parts are a little harder to get, however. Ball bearings & CF every where.
[link=http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=456789]Furion[/link]

Guys on the other forum have been telling me NOT to skimp on the electrics, so a lot will depend on your budget & what you want the heli to do for you!

Sorry you're not closer I'd show you them all!

Good luck choosing!

Chuck
Old 01-06-2011, 02:22 AM
demenicis

Hi,

thats right, I'd like ideas about things to make (and test the machine),

the heli chats are becoming more and more complex.....

as soon as a finish my project and winter here in the Uk calms down a bit (I'actually sick of this place, of my job....I want to go back to Brazil!!!!), I will go back to my end of afternoom daily flights....I'm really missing it, I've installed the 380motor and never tested it....

best regards and happy new year too.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:19 AM
clp.eng

Demenicis - It's about 20°F here & winds gusting to 25 MPH. What I've been doing is flying the Blade msR in the house to practice my orientations. I've been following MikeysRC.com vids on how to fly nose in using the Guru on the basement floor & I've been trying to get my sim (FSOne) to act like a real heli.

If you've seen my vids, I can fly side in just about forever in real life but on the sim I can't go for more than 3 or 4 seconds, yet I figured out how to do flips on the sim. Go figure...

That's how I keep my heli urges in check! Not as good as flying outside but.....

If you go back to Brazil, let me know I want your job! LOL It's been almost 9 months since I became "redundant" & I'm going crazy sitting at home.

Oddjob - I checked the Xheli site & they are out of every 450 kit! They don't offer the "hybrid" kit I have which is the plastic version with an aluminum head. But you can upgrade pretty cheap. This [link=http://www.xheli.com/18h15-cf450-v3-kit.html]one[/link] looks interesting.

Chuck
Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Odd Job

Thanks for the info Chuck! I am steering towards the EXI......I'm going to start buggin X-Heli when they're going to get more in. I'm going to get the RTF combo......hope to get it soon. My Sabre is getting beat up and I think I need a new tail motor, don't wanna start dumping more money in it...I hate this heli as it really is a POS and so unstable and difficult to fly.

Demenicis......I may see you in Rio one of these days......I never did tell you but my son-in-law is Brazilian and his parents and rest of his family still live there. He goes back a lot as he is the manager/trainer for a MMA fighter named Anderson Silva...so may meet you in person one day!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:37 PM
clp.eng

Here's a couple of links for learning to fly helis that I've been looking at.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/how-t...licopters.html

http://www.mikeysrc.com/RC-Helicopte...eo-Series.html

I haven't looked at this one yet http://www.youtube.com/zfloop#p/u/7/cc9ZMKK1gIo

odd - I didn't see an RTF 450 on their site. Did I miss something? Keep us posted.

Chuck
Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Odd Job

"odd - I didn't see an RTF 450 on their site. Did I miss something? Keep us posted."

Yes they do...but they are all out of stuff right now probably cause of xmas just passing.......I'll keep ya posted what I get...byt I am gonna get the EXI or the Blade 400...one of them two...
Old 01-07-2011, 03:09 AM
demenicis

Thats really cool OJ,

Have you ever been there?

My parents and my friends keep me updated and they said it is bloody HOT over there right now.....
anyway......girls, biquinis etc.....what a hard life.

Rio used to be (and still is) a bit dangerous if you don't know where you are going and how to behave under cetain circustances, therefore if you go there try to get advices from your sun in law so you stay in the nice areas.
Things are getting better though, because of the next both world cup (2014) and olimpic games (2016). The police and the army aredominating the bad areas of the cities(known "as favelas", the shanty towns) where the pour people live. The drugtraffic is reducing and the criminals are getting desperates cos they will have no JOB anymore......

Appart from some litle issues that all big cities have, I lived my whole life in Rio and I must say that I used to love it.

I much ratherthelife outdoor thanthe indoor life style I've been living in the UK.

Best Regards,

Demenicis
Old 01-07-2011, 03:17 AM
demenicis

Hi chuck,

I had a look at the first link only and whatched a couple of videos and it is really usefull,

I'll try to find some time so I will go through all of them,

Thanks,

D.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 AM
clp.eng

OJ - here's a [link=http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-400.html]link[/link] to a Blade 400 review. I've seen complaints about servo failures on the Blade. Which radio comes with the RTF from EXI? I've had trouble with my DX6i ever since I got it, mostly mechanical problems with the trim switches. In fact I'm on my 2nd Tx. Horizon Hobby DOES back their stuff in a BIG way. The good thing is that there are now Rx clones for the Spectrum which I hoping will force them to bring down their prices.

D - glad you learned something from them. I wouldn't mind seeing Rio myself! I will be close to SA in Feb as my daughter is having a party on St. Lucia in the Caribean. It is tough to be a way from home where ever it is!

Chuck
Old 01-18-2011, 06:51 AM
demenicis

Hi,

Check out how my litle CNC machine is doing, soon I will making parts for my Helicopter, like frames, blade sttifners (as suggested) coupling and others!!!
I'll go now for the design of the milling head (instead that floppy pen I used for testing). I hope you like it.

basic movements through the keyboard arrows
http://www.4shared.com/video/r44YHEFH/XY_basics.html

machine doing a 40mm circle path with a pen attached (badly attached) representing the future milling head
http://www.4shared.com/video/118EIFQX/milling_circle_40mmdiam.html

Best regards

Demenicis

Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 AM
clp.eng

Demenicis - I forgot what the sound of high speed stepper motors is like! Chalk on a chalkboard, etc. In my early engineering career I designed high speed, high resolution stepper motor controllers to control optics. Your CNC machine brought back found memories!

I'm impressed with the vids. It looks like it will work out nicely. If it's as rigid as it looks, it should do fine as long as you don't try to mill V-8 engine blocks on it! LOL

Are you writing the control (CNC) software or do you just program the movements?

Chuck
Old 01-18-2011, 08:09 AM
demenicis

Hi thanks for theinterest,

I basically designed the "mechanicals" as I'm a Mechanical Enginer, but I bought all the hardware (control board, power supply, stepmotors, PCI parallel card and cables)

I'm using Mach3 to control the machine, but a secondary sofware called lazyCAM which reads DWG, DXF files and saves them asG-code files (also for 3D files, I hope).
Still in lazycam, you can set the parameters for the tool (diametre, cutting speed, pitches, etc) so the G-code goes fully specified.

I finally then load the G-codes from the Mach3.

Both softwares are free for non-commercial use.

Yes, you were right, the axis are pretty sttif, even better than I imagined they would be.

But my point about this project was to be able to built a whole CNC usefull system which has a main feature: Its got to be CHEAP and fuctional, and affordable for most of us "hobbists".
Lets see if I can reach this.

Regards,

Demenicis

Old 02-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Disney1

Hey All just a note US Hobby Supply has everything on sale at 50% off.
https://www.ushobbysupply.com/

Also has Walkera#4 frames 10 for $10
https://www.ushobbysupply.com/produc...oducts_id=1042

Old 02-02-2011, 02:15 PM
clp.eng

Thanks, Ron. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much in the Xtreme products as I've been thinking of upgrading.

Chuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.