Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera Dragonfly #36

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 12:11 AM
aurora799

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walkera Dragonfly #36

Hi All,
I'm new to RC helis and I've just bought a Dragonfly #36 after spending hours reading various threads (I know they are cheap and nasty). I've seen a lot of posts about the #35 which seems to be similar but not many on the #36 (I guess because it is fairly new).

The main differences seem to be:
- Belt drive tail
- Repositioning of the motor and receiver (and therefor a different frame)
- 400SD motor (although it says 380SD on the box)

I got mine with a 11.1v 1500mah LiPo (it also contains the original 12v 650mah NiMH), training gear, and spare main blades for AU$340 Delivered. It took less than 2 business days to have it delivered to Melbourne from China.

Unfortunatley I haven't had much time to play with it because it supposed to be for my Birthday (25th July). I have to wait until then before I can wack on the training gear and try to hover.

So far I've gone over it and fixed a few loose screws, adjusted some of the linkages, tested all the servos and gyro, Tracked the blades, and spun it up until it was light on the skids (it started to shake a bit right before it was about to lift).

A few of things that I have noticed so far:
-The cyclic roll moves more in one direction than the other. To the right it goes about 11 degrees, and to the left about 20 degrees. That doesn't seem right? Is 20 degrees to much or is 11 not enough? I want to make it even before I try hovering.
Photos: [link=http://cathie9.customer.netspace.net.au/cyclicright.jpg]Cyclic Right[/link] , [link=http://cathie9.customer.netspace.net.au/cyclicleft.jpg]Cyclic Left[/link]

-The flybar rod is bent on one side. Again, I'll try to straighten this before hovering. (probably what is causing the shaking)
[link=http://cathie9.customer.netspace.net.au/bent%20flybar.jpg]Bent Flybar[/link]

-The tail servo seems to chatter most of the time, although I have read that this is normal?

-As the the Heli gets light on the skids it starts to yaw clockwise. It takes almost full right rudder to correct it. Is this because the tail is not spinning at enough speed to give it authority yet? The gyro apears to be working -ie. The servo responds when I move the heli manually. Maybe I just have to adjust the Sensitivity & Extent settings on the Gyro?

I noticed that both batteries appeared to be fully charged (both about 12.5v) when I got them. That might explain why several people who have received new walkera helis blow up there batteries by charging for an hour as soon as they get them...

I am considering making a rig that i can attach the heli to. Something about 1m off the ground (out of Ground effect) that will let the heli roll/pitch/yaw and possibly raise to test it out (without letting it fall to the ground). Is there anything available off the shelf to do this or has anyone already made something?

I'd like to keep this thread going, like the Dragonfly #35 thread, with usefull tips and advice for the Dragonfly #36 owners. I've found reading the #35 threads usefull too.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:53 AM
voltron1011

Default RE: Walkera Dragonfly #36

That's a pretty good idea to start a new thread.....

As far as the heli yawing clockwise, it sounds to me like your gyro is backwards. Since the main blades turn clockwise as well, you can rule out the the tail rotor itself. There should be a switch on the gyro that is labeled 'tail-lock'. Use a tiny screwdriver to switch it over and see if it rectifies your problem. Also, make sure you get a better charger for those batteries. I guarentee that you will fry some batteries sooner or later. The Walkera charger is crap. Also, make sure your xmitter batteries are always fresh. Change them after about an hour of flight time. This will save you from some nasty nosedive, kamikazi crashes.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:00 AM
aurora799

Thanks.

Good pont, I didn't realise that it is actually yawing the same direction as the main rotor so the Gyro must be set the wrong way. I did check the gyro response but must not have noticed it was going the wrong way. Either that or the tail blades are not pitched properly in the neutral position? I'll have to wait until next week before I can try it again. []

I thought the charger seemed a bit dodgy. I haven't tried it yet as the batteries were already charged, but I definatley won't try it on the LiPo (even though the supplier said I could). I might use it to Charge the NiMH until I get a [link=http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_model_chargers/swallow_battery_charger.htm]Swallow Charger [/link] that will do both LiPo and NiMH. I'll make sure I keep an eye on it though.

Can anyone recommend a good (and cheap) charger for both NiMH and LiPo Batts? The Swallow seems to be the best vaule one that I have seen so far.

If I get 8x NiMH AA batts for the Tx (I've currently got some heavy duy disposables in it) can I use the DC plug on the back of the Tx to charge them? What rating power supply would I need? Are there any calculations to determine NiMH charge time given the voltage and the mah rating?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:54 AM
rotarypower3

ORIGINAL: aurora799
-As the the Heli gets light on the skids it starts to yaw clockwise. It takes almost full right rudder to correct it. Is this because the tail is not spinning at enough speed to give it authority yet? The gyro apears to be working -ie. The servo responds when I move the heli manually. Maybe I just have to adjust the Sensitivity & Extent settings on the Gyro?
Using right rudder to correct the heli turning clockwise is all wrong. Always fly the nose. Right rudder should make the nose of the heli turn right.

I've got the Swallow Advance charger, you can't beat it for the money in Oz. Charges everything...
Old 07-18-2005, 05:27 AM
aurora799

Can anyone tell how many degrees roll I should get on the swashplate? As you can see from the linked photos above the roll is currently uneven and I'm not sure which is correct?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:30 AM
aurora799

I've got the Swallow Advance charger, you can't beat it for the money in Oz. Charges everything...
Where did you get your swallow charger from? How much?

Do you know how many amps it draws from the 12v source? I've got a 12 power supply, I just need to know if it will supply enough current.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:30 AM
rotarypower3

It can charge up to 5amps. Can't remenber what the minimum charge rate is off the top of my head, but you obviously can program your own charge rates in. Except for lipos, which won't go higher than 1C.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:34 AM
rotarypower3

Can anyone tell how many degrees roll I should get on the swashplate? As you can see from the linked photos above the roll is currently uneven and I'm not sure which is correct?
I wouldn't worry TOO much about the aileron movement ATM. As long as the swash is level, it'll be better to see how it flys first.

I got my Swallow from [link]http://www.modelflight.com.au/[/link] they can be expensive for most stuff, but had the best price for the charger at the time....
Old 07-18-2005, 06:45 AM
aurora799

ORIGINAL: rotarypower3

It can charge up to 5amps. Can't remenber what the minimum charge rate is off the top of my head, but you obviously can program your own charge rates in. Except for lipos, which won't go higher than 1C.
Oh, I meant the input power to the charger. It needs 12v input right? Do you just run it on a battery or do you have a power supply for it?
I guess if it is charging a 11.1v batt it would need about the same amount of current for the input as it would for the output?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:23 PM
grant365

I have also just ordered a Walkera #36. Did you manage to get a 36 or 40Mhz set. They only have 35Mhz at the moment. Do you think there will be any problems with this apart from the fact that it has not allocated for RC by ACA wouldnt be able to be used at a club.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:43 AM
rotarypower3

35mhz will be fine. Before moving to better electronics, I had all 3 of my 4 heli's running on 35mhz.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:13 AM
aurora799

I've got 35MHz.

I'll finally get to try out my new heli on Monday. Can't wait.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:48 AM
aurora799

ORIGINAL: rotarypower3

Using right rudder to correct the heli turning clockwise is all wrong. Always fly the nose. Right rudder should make the nose of the heli turn right.

I checked it again and I was actually using left rudder to keep it straight. I have turned the sensitivity up to full and it seems better now. Does anyone know what the left switch on the walkera Gyro is? I have read some posts about it but I haven't really seen anything conclusive...
This is what the one on the #36 looks like:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39944.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	300146  
Old 07-22-2005, 07:50 AM
voltron1011

I heard that you don't want to mess with that switch. However, I don't seem to remember what it was for.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:48 PM
buacc

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/members_area.php
has dragonfly #36 User Manual to download (but members only)

may be read the manual first before decide to buy.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:59 PM
NY 28 scarab

I read the manual off the link you posted. What a joke. I feel bad for someone that dont know about this board and has no one to ask for help.

I just bought two #36 off ebay. I got one with a brushles motor, lipo battery , & carbon blades. the other is a complete copter with no eletronics. This way I have spare parts on hand . I also got, 1 extra battery, 3ext ra sets of top and rear blades. and simulator cable . The total came to $430 with shipping.

This is my first copter. I know I could of made a better choice but after reading the post on the #35 I feel that I can spend some time and really get to know what they are all about. I Also wont feel to bad when I crash this one. Once I lurn to fly (after 50 or so crashes) I will look to get a Quality machine. I am sure I will have a lot of question to ask when I get into this hobby more and more
Old 07-22-2005, 09:41 PM
stoogy
My Feedback: (4)

I just ordered a Walkera #36 too with brushless, lypoli and carbon blades. I can't wait fo it to arrive. Can I ask you what store did you order yours from? I got mine from rc-toy-shop.
It is also my first CP heli, had a FP hummingbird before but never flew well.
I just figured for the $ you can't go go wrong. I would hate to spend 600 to 1g on a tRex and crash it the first day.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:30 PM
NY 28 scarab

I got it off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

There was someone selling one cheaper with a 30 amp speed control and a 2200mAh battary with out the carbon rotors for $228. I tried to contact the guy with the cheaper one but he didnt understand english very well . I did not feel conforatable with that so I went with the slightly higher priced one. They also had a every part available on line. Check out there Ebay store They wanted $85 for the heli with no power or radio. I do not live any where near a hobby shop so I thought it was worth the expence for the extra parts.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:14 PM
stoogy
My Feedback: (4)

Oh yeah , I contacted him too. He was my second choice because he was slighty higher then the other guy. I agree I asked a few questions and he did not understand my question. I still took a chance and ordered from this guy since he had 600+ positive feedback on EBAY. I paid $254 shipped for mine.
I just hope it gets here, I don not know any hobby shops in the Boston area that carries the Walker/Dragonfly #36 or 35 for that matter. I think it is very compatible with the Zoom Shogun. Now I wonder if i should have ordered an ARK X400 just for a little more. Oh well 1st heli to learn on.
Here is the link if you want to compare orders and prices.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Old 07-23-2005, 01:37 AM
aurora799

How has everyone mounted the batteries on their #36?

The 1500mah LiPo seems to jam longways in to the front batt holder. It sticks out a fair way but the CG is still ok. In fact it probably needs a bit more weight in the front to get the CG exactly right. Has anyone else found that?

What about the 650mah NiMH how have you mounted that?

Does anybody else have a yellow tail servo? I ask my supplier why it was different and he claims that it has been change at the factory because the yellow one is better. There are no markings or model numbers on it.

Old 07-23-2005, 04:03 PM
voltron1011

How has everyone mounted the batteries on their #36?

What about the 650mah NiMH how have you mounted that?

I don't know of many people that got any flight time with the 650 NiMH battery. It only has enough juice for you to hover slightly in ground effect.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:53 AM
aurora799

I just bought two #36 off ebay. I got one with a brushles motor, lipo battery , & carbon blades. the other is a complete copter with no eletronics. This way I have spare parts on hand . I also got, 1 extra battery, 3ext ra sets of top and rear blades. and simulator cable . The total came to $430 with shipping.
I haven't been able to find a Sim cable for the #36. Let me know if the Sim cable you got works.
What sim program are you using it with?
Old 07-24-2005, 06:49 PM
colrod12

Hey All
Ithink I'll wait till I can buy one from here in the usa, I 'm tired of paying them fn shipping charges[:@].
Anyway for the Fms sim.
just some Advice I found out that Once you get A sim cable for you'r Tx , you can then get a Usb cable, to plug your tx
to a usb port. (usb to joystick adapter) $$45bucks though[:@]
I could not get my sim Or tx to work right Untill i got This job now My tx works great on the sim cause of this cable
So the 45 was worth it[8D]
Old 07-24-2005, 08:15 PM
aurora799

Where do you get the TX cable and the USB adapter from? Online anywhere?
Does anyone know the pin-outs to make at sim cable for the Walkera Tx?

I finally got to try hovering for the first time today, with training gear on.

I'm just 2-3 inches of the ground for now. It will take me a while to get used to it. In fact it wouldn't get any higher than 2-3 inches at the moment, I've put a turn in the pitch linkage to add a bit more collective pitch control. If that doesn't help then I might have to try adusting the PXT/PLT knobs. But I guess it doesn't matter too much for now.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:35 PM
colrod12

Radio shack
also Dont you have a cable for You'r TX? did it come w/one? take you'r Tx to this place see if they got a cable
that will fit in the back, Or
get one from a #35/400 they should be the same thing Tx wise And they Are A dime dozen, sort of speak. on ebay.
I have 2 from my walkeras #4s but dont know if they are the same cable you need (diff helis) Other wise I'd send you one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.