Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

WALKERA 37

Old 08-15-2006, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WALKERA 37

430L Brushless Motor, 3550Kv RCM-BL430L REVIEW

ON GOING MARKET PRICE 47.99 US dollars.

Perfect choice for all-out 3D aerobatics or sport flying
Lightweight, hi-torque performance
Internal fan and open endbells for maximum cooling
Slotted 6-pole 'outrunner in a can' design

Personal Review:

The 430L Align Brushless Motor.. It is superior in everyway! The motor design is bulit on super conductive air passage tunnel effect, it actually cools itself.. and runs for an extended time. I remember I could not even touch the Walkera motor after 15 minutes of fly time, but this guy remains cool in comparision. It makes a nice whistling effect, that sounds like a mini turbine., could be anoying sometimes, but I really like it. Makes for more aggresive intimidation.

The coil inside the body is actually in the center. (all of the walkeras coils are glued to the outer portion of the shell, with the shaft magnet in the center). The 430L has no "shaft" that goes in the center, but rather the magent is what rotates around the center coil, on top and on the bottom of this magnet, they finished the setup with a short shaft accompanied by 2 fans one on the top and one at the bottom. When the magent spins, the fans moves air thru the center coil. GENIOUS! It keeps the air flowing all the time! So it keeps itself cool as long as its spining.
What a great motor! I recommend it.

Required Items:
Pinion gear set 11t,13t,15t from Align
Align 35A Programmable ESC or equivalent.
Mounting screws. (included)

Required Assembly.
Soldering iron for attachment of gold plated connectors.
Heat shrink tubing. (included)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78413.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	507688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27787.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	507689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64997.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	507690  
Old 08-15-2006, 08:26 AM

you got good motor W37, me have that on TREX that good power give better on heli. Why you buy again motor? what happen to

airplane motor high Kv? burn also? me tell you that motor not good heli look to high Kv but no power, where Elite motor ?

yup motor run cool because of design. it outrunner motor that is wny cool it has fan. outrunner in can. so you get more air. you look

design.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:33 PM

W37, I am using the Walkera 180l at the minute but have just ordered the GWS's version of the Align 450L so can't wait for it to arrive. I asked the question on the push rods as I have a full CNC head and swash plate for a walkera 60 and was thinking about just using the swash plate from it for now. to see it that would work I know the ball linkages are diffrent but was looking at moving the srews and balls about. Question where are you guys getting your blades from and for how much as we don't half get ripped of in the UK for stuff.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:10 PM

It looks like the thread has been moving along nicely. Everyone seems to be playing nicely as well. Thank goodness. I got a chance to fly my 37 this weekend with a buddy who has the Blade CP. No issues with both Transmitters running at the same time. My DF4 could not operate while he was running his Blade CP, so I was happy to see the DF37 had no problems. I haven't had to buy parts in a while so I'm happy about that, however, I haven't been flying as much lately. Just too busy. The heli flew great, even in 15-20 knot winds on Saturday. (It was a little scary at times with all the wind but it handled it quite well).

Keep it up guys, lots of good info moving through here.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:33 AM

hey army long time since you posted. i guess your busy...
Old 08-16-2006, 08:45 AM

why thread always silent not good
Old 08-16-2006, 10:24 AM

Because everybody argue with each others
Old 08-16-2006, 01:07 PM

yeah I saw argue on thread with W37 and soneebee, I dont know why they fight over motor. it is desame,

me have both motor and both have desame size and inside. Me guess W37 not know what he was talking about

I see they also argue on Align ESC, i read nothing on thread say Align not good. I still know align good ESC to use

on TREX, me have it on my TREX SE, I think they fight because W37 think soneebee no good person.

i talked soneebee on other thread, he good person, I think he make manual of ESC or something many people

ask him for manual and for review of helis.

They must stop argue on thread, nothing wrong with setup. all good so people come back to thread.

ORIGINAL: serhathakan

Because everybody argue with each others
Old 08-16-2006, 02:20 PM

This thread has always been dead.

It took activity for a bit, but if you look at the beginning, it's always been slow.

Not many Df37 users. Everyone has Df60s or Df4.. etc.

Also... johnchu_hk, you know what ,, get off my back.. I'm tired of

you talking crap about me. You think you know everything, you don't like my walkera,

you thinks it's funny looking, you criticise buying Align parts, you call me brand lover,

you call me "kid" cause I know nothing about whatever you say, leave me alone. ok...

You always have the last word on everything and always find the bad thing on parts,

very little times you say something is good..and all you do is instigate.

If you can't make a proper comment, then don't make one at all. You've been saying the same thing

everytime, " why no body here, why no body here? " you sound like a baby...So leave

me alone, you don't see me writing anything about you. You keep bringing the same

thing over and over again..so step of and leave me alone. The argueing on this thread has

stop, up right until now. Because you can't say nothing new, and you always bring up the same crap.

W37

Old 08-16-2006, 03:12 PM

HI.. Newbie here.. I got the Dragonfly 37 about 3 1/2 weeks ago.. And ofcourse I have crashed my unit several times.
I have been following the thread very carefully. There are many talented people here. Some of them
I have taken the advice and I have been very succesfull. Armycopters Servo swap was one of the best
I believe. W37 replacement parts from Align products , was truelly a big help. Though I'm saddened
to read the arguement W37 had with that other person, I thought that ended and things continued normally.
But we have a guy here that seems to "stick it" to W37 everytime he posts something and repeats the same thing,
as to reason why.. I don't know.

I was never going to join this forum, but I must give credit to W37, if you knew what he has done, all of his advices on parts, it's becasue he's actually went out and bought them with his own money. He has not voiced any opinion on matters that he hasn't experienced. And that's why I take his advice (at least on parts). So johnchu_hk or whoever you are,
don't come here wanting to start an arguement over things that has passed. Even though all your pokes at W37,
he continued to post pictures and personal reviews, and so far the things W37 has posted, have not let me down.

That's my take.

EL MECANO
Old 08-16-2006, 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: soneebee

hey army long time since you posted. i guess your busy...

Hi Soneebee, yeah I'be been pretty busy. I flew my unit last night and have developed a problem. I have my rudder trim all the way to the right, but my heading seems to want to "creep" left. It's not bad, but it is aggravating. It seems to get worse as the flight progresses. For instance, when I first plug in the battery, it doesn't creep at all, but after about 3-4 minutes it starts. By 15-20 minutes it gets worse to the point where I just stop flying. If I unplug and replug in the battery, it helps for a few minutes and then back to the "creep."

I may try to play with it a bit more tonight or tomorrow.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:18 PM

Army,

I had the same issue. I discovered that the rudder mix function with the servo on the boom,

is reversed in direction. When the rudder was set up the otherway, when i throttled up or down,

the rudder mix function compensated the rotational torque forces. SO I never had to compensate

during a lift of.

With the new setup, this function still active, it's going in the opposite direction. When I was reaching the

end of flying, I start to loose rudder control, and have to manually compensate.

I turned off the rudder mixing on the remote. It helped alot, but during power up, i must compensate until

I reach a certain speed. Then the Yaw stays put

I also put the servo on the left side of the tail boom (looking at tail view). This helped alot, but it did not

fix the rudder mix function. I will keep playing with it, unitl I figure it out. All I need to do is make the ruuder mix

at the proper direction.. and this issue will go away. I don't suffer as much from it, cause I programmed my ESC

to cut power sooner, to avoid draining the lipos to much. So I don't get that drop of power which needs rudder compensation, as

you rotational speed drops. (hence no rudder mix function).

W37
Old 08-16-2006, 09:40 PM

W37, me sorry if me bad to you. I not want you bad,

I not say you set is bad, it is just different to me but okay me understand

you want heli that way so i know. don't get mad me not bad

i just here always on 37 thread to see people talk,

me think thread dead too, so make it live on so people come

but they not like to.

okay
Old 08-16-2006, 10:31 PM

hey guys, another newbie here.
I just got my 37 last week and my dad and I have been trying to trim it out and get it flying well. My biggest problem is that i get really nervous when it gets more than a foot off the ground and i set it down again (sometimes pretty roughly). The other problem is that everything gets really hot. The motor gets so hot that i've almost burned my finger several times. The battery gets very warm and i'm nervous this might damage it. The main gear is slightly bent, maybe from heat, but i don't know. But the biggest problem is the speed controller. it got so hot on one flight that it melted the plastic covering off. Then, on a later flight, it melted the glue that held the metal heat sink on. Then it simply stopped working. When i add throttle it just makes a faint beeping sound. All the servos still respond, but the motor won't move.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as i'm pretty new to helis and this is my first one. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2006, 02:22 AM

Hi joe, A quick number of questions about your post,
1. Are you still using the stock setup i.e. motor that came with the heli, the nicad battery and walkera speed controller.

If you are then yes they will get very hot and as a result the ESC will die as it has just done. whats happened is that the ESC has overheated and the motor control chip has fried. so it's dead I am afraid time for an upgrade. I would recomend going brushless with a lipo so that you get more head speed and better control.

2. If you are using a brushless version then the esc has overheated and it is fried again. the brushless motors do get hot but should not get so hot that you burn your fingers on them. if it is doing then you will need to change your pinon gear to a lesser number of teeth i.e if you have a 11th then go to a 9th that way the motor can rev up more and the head speed will be slower. it means your will be pulling less power through the system so the motor, esc and battery should not get as hot.

Army - I did find an issue with mine some what diffrent to yours in that the belt drive would become slacker as the flight went so the power to the tail rotor was getting less and that would let the heli yaw, It might be worth checking your tail assemble to make sure it cant move or slide down the shaft, it only has to move a few mills and the tail rotor looses a lot of power.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:25 AM

Elcheepo,

I think it's the contrary, if you go higher on your pinion teeth, let's say from 9 to 11 teeth, your rotational speed will be slower, but your motor speed would have to be faster, in order to creat enough power to lift.

I had to go from 10 to 11 on my brushless setup, on 10, my blades were spinning so fast, that at one time (honest truth) the blades holders flew off! entirely! with blade and all, broke linkages etc etc.. The tiny screw inside the holder , just unscrewded itself!, parts where flying, luckly it was during a ground hover. I recommend, at least in that area of the little hex screw, loctite.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:35 AM

W37, I have a question..

I upgraded the all the servos to the Hi-tec 55s servos but my controls are working in reverse. I tried swaping the connectors on the remote, but no resolve. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2006, 10:07 AM

W37 - From using gear box's on model planes i.e GWS formosa with a ration of 1:5.1 I was pulling 15 amps from the battery as the motor was spinning slower but the prop was spinning faster. If you then change 1:6.1 so you have gone from a 10th pinon to a 9th gear the motor would pull 12amps and the prop speed would decrease as a result you get longer flight time and less heat from the motor as it dosn't have to pull as much amps. yes it means you would loose head speed so more throttle would be needed to get enough lift, but it does mean you are pulling less amps so genarating less heat. I have tried this also with my D37 and yes it helps the Walkera Brushless motor not be a hot as it pulls less amps. yes I have lossed some head speed but I am willing to put up with that until I am ready for more extraviganted flying
Old 08-17-2006, 10:47 AM

I just needed to know. I gets confusing. I can see it pulling more current. Thats why my I like my Align motor, cause its rated @ 3550KV,
more than I need to have enough power to light my unit. My 11 teeth setup falls properly, and I get no build up heat, plus I can play around
with the pitch on the remote control, and still have enough power to spare, I never run my motor at full anymore, unless I need to. My head speed is slow too, in comparision with the way I had it, when I was burning out Walkera motors.....

ORIGINAL: ellcheepo

W37 - From using gear box's on model planes i.e GWS formosa with a ration of 1:5.1 I was pulling 15 amps from the battery as the motor was spinning slower but the prop was spinning faster. If you then change 1:6.1 so you have gone from a 10th pinon to a 9th gear the motor would pull 12amps and the prop speed would decrease as a result you get longer flight time and less heat from the motor as it dosn't have to pull as much amps. yes it means you would loose head speed so more throttle would be needed to get enough lift, but it does mean you are pulling less amps so genarating less heat. I have tried this also with my D37 and yes it helps the Walkera Brushless motor not be a hot as it pulls less amps. yes I have lossed some head speed but I am willing to put up with that until I am ready for more extraviganted flying
Old 08-17-2006, 10:53 AM

I had the problem.

Armycopter found the solution!

Here's a copy his reply:

With the following settings, you should be flying exactly as you were before the servo changes. The servo's plug into the exact same receiver ports as the stock ones did.

1. OFF
2. ON
3. OFF
4. ON
5. OFF
6. OFF
7. OFF
8. ON
9. ON
10. OFF
11. OFF
12. OFF
GYRO set to REV
GYRO set to AVCS (I prefer AVCS, you can use NOR)

ORIGINAL: EL Mecano

W37, I have a question..

I upgraded the all the servos to the Hi-tec 55s servos but my controls are working in reverse. I tried swaping the connectors on the remote, but no resolve. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2006, 11:19 AM

I want to swap aileron and rudder sticks. Is it possible?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:29 PM

sure, what exactly do you want to swap?

for example.. my entire rudder system is Align.. included the rudder blade holders too. and servo right angle arm, plus travel bearing.

ORIGINAL: serhathakan

I want to swap aileron and rudder sticks. Is it possible?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:44 PM

I want to swap aileron and rudder sticks. Is it possible

Do you mean that you what to swap the sticks on the transmitter or make changes to the control rods on the heli. If it's the transmitter, the only way to do that is to change the transmitter to Mode 1 if it is a mode 2 setup, that would mean for example that in Mode 1 the right stick would do throttle and aileron and the left stick would be elevator and rudder. If you want to keep the throttle on left stick but have rudder on left instead of right stick then you would have to completely change the function of the transmitter. that would be very difficult and mean you would have to reprogram the whole transmitter.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:00 PM

ORIGINAL: ellcheepo

Army - I did find an issue with mine some what diffrent to yours in that the belt drive would become slacker as the flight went so the power to the tail rotor was getting less and that would let the heli yaw, It might be worth checking your tail assemble to make sure it cant move or slide down the shaft, it only has to move a few mills and the tail rotor looses a lot of power.
So are you saying I should make sure that the belt is not slipping? Maybe tighten up the belt a little? I could do that pretty quick.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:22 PM

elcheepo,

I'm using a Skyartec motor and speed controller. The pinion gear on there right now has 13 teeth. Should I get like an 11? And as for a new speed controller, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.