Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

WALKERA 37

Old 11-03-2006, 04:17 AM
balance_mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WALKERA 37

Change to a Higher C batt, at least 15C. It seems like the batt cannot supply the required amp.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:15 AM
soneebee

i agree with balance _mind if youa re using the elf motor better use a 15C - 20C rated lipo.. I have tested the 10C lipo on this motor and all my helis have them. 10C is not enough and has less power than using the 15C.. RPM is different..
Old 11-03-2006, 09:30 AM
mcdaniel

Ok thanks,
15c-20c Lipo battery, let' see the prices online, I never bougth one , all my lipos are 12c.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:30 PM
W37 Cepeda

Let me clear up the "C" issue. Going out to buy high C batteries might not fix the problem.

I use 10C. I never had a problem. I have enough power with my Align setup. I don't see how
an Elf motor require more power than a ALign 430L. I have the same setup on my Df60,
and sometimes I encounter the same gltich as you, sudden loss of power. I'm beginning to
suspect that the problem lies with the ESC or the motor.

I will be switching to different motor, and running the test.

Concerning the "C" rating on the batteries..well keep in mind that it's not the
amount of current. It's the continuance discharge rate of current the battery
can sustain in an intervale. A 15C battery has maximum discharge rate of 30A/sec MAX,
but a continuance of 15A during normal operation. My 10C has a 20A/sec MAX,
and 10A of continuance during normal operation.

Bear this in mind, if you are continuosly pumping out 10AMPS from your battery
on a ESC AC system, then you have something seriously wrong with your electronics.
Thats alot of power my friend, and it defeats the purposes of having a brushless system.
The AC frequency alone pumps the the coils of the motor, is enough to sustain the RPM
levels it needs. The torque required to keep the constant speed is limited by the swtiching
transistors used to power the motor. SO regardless of what ever speed you run your motor
at 100RPM or 4000RPMS, the torque is relativily the same because its the maximum power
output your transister can give cause there is no such thing as a variable transister.

If you need more torque, get an ESC with a higher rating. Like 35A or 45 or even 50A ESC.
Going for a higher "C" rating on the battery alone, will help very little.

Hope this helps. W37

Old 11-03-2006, 06:11 PM
mcdaniel

THanks
Well , 12c in battery should be enough ,thats what I think too, Soneebe uses ELF combo he will have his own Experince with this set up...... For now the heli is flying nice and I have fun with it.
Thanks for post
Old 11-03-2006, 06:12 PM
kiwiwilliamson

i run 10c on my elf never had a problem
Old 11-03-2006, 06:23 PM
W37 Cepeda

MY DF60 is same configuration, 10C 2200MAH , ELF ESC, and ELF motor. NO problems , but the occasional glitch.
Which i think its was causing the power issue..other than that.. OK.

ORIGINAL: kiwiwilliamson

i run 10c on my elf never had a problem
Old 11-05-2006, 08:56 AM
W37 Cepeda

Dragonfly 60 Metal Head Updrafe on the Dragonfly 37.

Yep. It can be done. There are 3 issues that need to be done.

1. Configure the remote control dip settings and switch the pitch and ailerion connections on the reciever.
2. Shorten the main shaft to make the head fit.
3. The ball linkages on the swashplate are to small, replace them with the standard linkages from Align.

As expected, the DF37 flies very well, better then the plastic configuration. The responsiveness is fast! This was
a total suprise to me. It made for a quick manuverability. I guess since the parts are smaller, it tend to be quick. This was pretty cool.

Like I had said in earlier posts. The head is ok. not to strong, parts bend easily during a crash, but it's better than plastic.

I purchased many heads for this experiment. Right know I have 2 heads ready to go with the ball linkages mod already in place. Just swap and go!
Use the Ehirobo manual for detial intructions. Private msg.me for paypal. I only have two that have been done. The mods take time and it's very
combersome.. specially tapping new holes on the swashplate...beleive me...i messed up various units already. If you want to buy it on your own
and want me to do the mods for your, that will be 35.00 US.

Descriptions:

a. Assembled full complete head. With Modified main shaft (tested), With flybar weights and paddles and swashplate with ball linkages mods. (Align standard size) 75.00US

b. Full complete head. not assembled. With Modified main shaft (tested), With flybar weights and paddles (requiers assembly) and swashplate with ball linkages mods. (Align Standard size) 50.00US
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52360.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	554634  
Old 11-06-2006, 08:42 AM
soneebee

Thats good to hear.. the Df60 head can be used on the DF37 with some shaft modification.. The main shaft of the Df60 is hard. I have tried to bore a 2mm hole on it to make another shaft out of the plastic one and it was really hard material like that of tool steel or the material that they use on screwdrivers.. but is slight hits it bends... kinda strange for something that hard to drill a hole in just bends on hits... well

that is really good info... it does help on the binding from the plastic walkera head.. but as you said the aluminum material is soft and doe not withstand on crashes.. but it does help loosen up the binding on the head...

Keep it coming Cepeda
Old 11-06-2006, 09:13 AM
W37 Cepeda

The modification for the shaft can be done 2 ways:

it depends on the swashplate linkages you want to use.

The main modification is to snip off 2mm of material from the top of the shaft, to make the metal head hole align with the shaft hole.
You can use a high speed rotation device.. (dremel).

Know, if you want to use the original linkages that came with the head, its too short.
so you must cut off the execess shaft from the bottom, Its about 3/4 of an inch. Once you cut
then you must use the high speed rotation device and make a notch on the shaft. On the Df37 shaft
there is no hole at the bottom, just a notch aprox. 5mm above the rim. Once you do this, you must then
polish all excess metal from the bottom tip and the top tip, otherwise you will have a hard time
inserting the shaft thru the bearings on the frame.

Problem... on the Df37, one of the linkages is shorter then the other, cause the servos are mounted
on top of each other for left and right cyclic controls.. So you can only use 2 of the 3 nice fat linkages that come with the Df60 Metal head upgrade. BUMMER.

So the modification I made was to retap the swashplate ball linkages, to take 2mm screws, that will accomadate the standard ball linkage that
align makes for the 450.

Sonnebee, it was a pain in the ASS all this.. i have another one for you.. check this out.

I will take a picture of my DF60C with a trex450 Head and tail combo. Using the same swashplate. I had to re tap that swashplate inner
moving part to connect the bell arms controllers linkages..it's a sight to see.. will post that l8ter... when I get home. The df60 with a Trex head
became a totally different bird.. It feels exactly the same if not better than the actuall Trex 450. The control is amazing!

W37.

ORIGINAL: soneebee

Thats good to hear.. the Df60 head can be used on the DF37 with some shaft modification.. The main shaft of the Df60 is hard. I have tried to bore a 2mm hole on it to make another shaft out of the plastic one and it was really hard material like that of tool steel or the material that they use on screwdrivers.. but is slight hits it bends... kinda strange for something that hard to drill a hole in just bends on hits... well

that is really good info... it does help on the binding from the plastic walkera head.. but as you said the aluminum material is soft and doe not withstand on crashes.. but it does help loosen up the binding on the head...

Keep it coming Cepeda
Old 11-06-2006, 12:51 PM
soneebee

Cepeda,

man that will be really great.. the TREX head on the DF60 heli.. that will really make that heli fly well.. the trex head and parts are really good.. its hardend aluminum and less wear and tear compared to the original aluminum head of the DF60 which bend on slight hits. please do post some of the mods that you made for it.. I think that will be one of the best upgrades for the DF60

thats great stuff you got there on the DF60C...

ORIGINAL: W37 Cepeda

The modification for the shaft can be done 2 ways:

it depends on the swashplate linkages you want to use.

The main modification is to snip off 2mm of material from the top of the shaft, to make the metal head hole align with the shaft hole.
You can use a high speed rotation device.. (dremel).

Know, if you want to use the original linkages that came with the head, its too short.
so you must cut off the execess shaft from the bottom, Its about 3/4 of an inch. Once you cut
then you must use the high speed rotation device and make a notch on the shaft. On the Df37 shaft
there is no hole at the bottom, just a notch aprox. 5mm above the rim. Once you do this, you must then
polish all excess metal from the bottom tip and the top tip, otherwise you will have a hard time
inserting the shaft thru the bearings on the frame.

Problem... on the Df37, one of the linkages is shorter then the other, cause the servos are mounted
on top of each other for left and right cyclic controls.. So you can only use 2 of the 3 nice fat linkages that come with the Df60 Metal head upgrade. BUMMER.

So the modification I made was to retap the swashplate ball linkages, to take 2mm screws, that will accomadate the standard ball linkage that
align makes for the 450.

Sonnebee, it was a pain in the ASS all this.. i have another one for you.. check this out.

I will take a picture of my DF60C with a trex450 Head and tail combo. Using the same swashplate. I had to re tap that swashplate inner
moving part to connect the bell arms controllers linkages..it's a sight to see.. will post that l8ter... when I get home. The df60 with a Trex head
became a totally different bird.. It feels exactly the same if not better than the actuall Trex 450. The control is amazing!

W37.

ORIGINAL: soneebee

Keep it coming Cepeda
Old 11-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Prophet_one

Hi All,

I have been following this thread for a few days and want to get some feedback on this vendor and the combo they have available for the W37. Here is the link.

http://www.rc-expert.com/product-package.php?pid=154

It includes a brushless outrunner combo, LIPO battery, metal head, carbon main blades and its RTF for 300.00 bucks. This will be my first heli as well. Should I consider buying the sim with cable that is listed on the site as well. Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:11 AM
kiwiwilliamson

Hi all i have a electric rpm counter i have borrowed from a friend i have batteries as follows 3e2200 10c, 3e2200 12c, x2 ewatts2200 20-30c i will do some rpm tests soon and report on each batt, a 5 min hover on each as well to test heat of esc batt motor i havent any way of an exact temp though just touch test. I have also built a Trex xl not that expensive if you use the stuff out off ya 37, but before i built it i fitted the head to the 37 also the tail boom i prefer the 37 tail assembly but thats me the Trex may be better, i put the elf hobby,esc in the trex so the test will be on that im saving the align motor and esc for a trex se slowly getting the bits for that, i got the head and tail cnc from xmseller ebay not align and one off the arms is a little loose and i cant seem to get it as tight as the oposite side but it hasn't been air bourne yet so buyer beware it may be worth saving the extra for the align ones.

The dx6 is basicly the jr66 but with 2.4ghz module in it (im told) it only has 3 points for ya curves as the JR2610 has 5 so ibought one its much easyer to read and understand you ca see your curves as you ajust them.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:25 AM
kiwiwilliamson

Yes a sim would be very helpfull great planes G3 is one of the best i've heard(not cheap) i recommend some training gear i use mine go on the Walkera china site find learning to fly read and follow stick with each step until mastered. That 37 with a trex looking head looks great and im sure will fly ok if you get it post some pics as im sure a few people on this thread will have there eyes open, thats how the 37 should have come out.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:05 AM
W37 Cepeda

Many of us already have this setup and done it,
here are a couple of pics, if you look back on this forum you will see more.
It's far better with this setup with the Trex 450 head.

That's the number one recommendaed upgrade.

W37

Yes a sim would be very helpfull great planes G3 is one of the best i've heard(not cheap) i recommend some training gear i use mine go on the Walkera china site find learning to fly read and follow stick with each step until mastered. That 37 with a trex looking head looks great and im sure will fly ok if you get it post some pics as im sure a few people on this thread will have there eyes open, thats how the 37 should have come out.

Name:	Vt57067.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	557087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92284.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	557088  
Old 11-09-2006, 09:27 AM
kiwiwilliamson

Yes the trex head is much better than its copies i may have to look into an align head for my se and maybe put the xm's one on the 37
Old 11-09-2006, 10:52 AM
W37 Cepeda

Well let me tell ya, XM's is not bad

I use his 120 swashplate and blade holders, the rest is from Align. My Df37 flies super.

Also,
i just git ALign 450 head, for my Df60, and its the same thing...If you can get it cheaper with Xms. go for it.

W37

Yes the trex head is much better than its copies i may have to look into an align head for my se and maybe put the xm's one on the 37
Old 11-09-2006, 11:05 AM
W37 Cepeda

For 300 bucks.. thats too expensive.
I got my Df60C all metal for 259.00 with 2200 Lipo. all metal. and esc and motor brushless.

If you get the df37 for your 1st heli.. get it plain. Get also the training kit.

Once you start crashing and breaking it, come to this forum for help.. you will learn how it functions
and get a better undetstanding on how to fly it. then you will replace the cheap walkera parts
with align parts that are available locally and are of better quality.

Upgrade the ESC and motor to a brushless system..get the lipo batteries for extended flight time.
thats the 1st upgrade I recommend.

w37

ORIGINAL: Prophet_one

Hi All,

I have been following this thread for a few days and want to get some feedback on this vendor and the combo they have available for the W37. Here is the link.

http://www.rc-expert.com/product-package.php?pid=154

It includes a brushless outrunner combo, LIPO battery, metal head, carbon main blades and its RTF for 300.00 bucks. This will be my first heli as well. Should I consider buying the sim with cable that is listed on the site as well. Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:40 PM
mcdaniel

HI there
Well, Prophet is this is your first Heli unfortunately Df37 is not good choice ,I highly recommended a df#4(it comes with cable to practice in a pc ), Esky honey bee 4ch, or any cx model , after few weeks of practice you will be flying and have some fun with those type of helis,then you can get the Df37 that in my opinion is the Ultimate flying machine ,but you need to make some tune up and upgrades to enjoy it, and offcourse if required some knowledge.
Hope it help
Old 11-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Prophet_one

Thanks all for the advice. The W37 that is listed on rc-expert's site comes with lipo and brushless upgrade plus metal head. Still think 300 bucks is too much to spend on it? Anyways I was considering a df4 but doesn't it have a seperate motor to drive the tail rotor? I'm not sure but it seems like that setup would be prone to failure and would be very slow to respond.

W37 Cepeda....I see your point. Start with the stock version and upgrade to high quality Align parts as funds allow. I'm really not a big fan of buying alot of upgrade parts for a kit. I might have to consider something else. What if I just bought a T-REX or HeliMax MX400 from day one? Would I be better off? This is strickly from a cost perspective.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:27 PM
kiwiwilliamson

A Trex would be great but i wouldn't start off with one it comes in bits and you would have to put together not for a beginer. I think 300 is not to bad you found a great little set up, but you will crash it(we all have) df4 is a good little starter fly crash and fix one of those(or something similer) first maybe a coaxle heli the walkera 55(my favorite coaxle) is a magic little thing and very easy to fly you would have more fun with it from the word go and the parts are cheap, the walkera 54 are a little bigger but are great to, the 53 is bigger again and you could fly outside on carm day(55 and 54 inside) but it is'nt as forgiving being heavyer than his little bro's(55 54) happy hunting
Old 11-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Prophet_one

Cool thanxs again kiwiwilliamson. I'm not total new to R/C. I have driven, built and raced cars for many years. I know they are quite different from helis. I also had a .40 size airplane for a little while. I didn't really get to fly it as much as I should have. I took a 4 year break from the hobby though. I'm just want to put something together that flys well and easy to fix.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:25 PM
balance_mind

If you do get it from rc-expert, good luck to you. I have some bad encounters with them. Aftersales service is damn bad. Product assembly bad.

I 2nd on W37 suggestions, get the stock #37. Slowly upgrade them when you crashed or parts failed. The #37 is really a stable heli when set-up well. Hovering motionless for a few seconds is not a problem. I just did that in my office yesterday and trimmed the heli.

Try it on a good simulator, it helps alot not only for beginners but for experts too.

IMO, it is always good to build the heli yourself. Understand more, appreciate more, able to repair when crashed. But before that, you'll need to gather the right info on how to build them well for a successful flight.

I have the #4 too. It is a good trainer heli, easy and cheap to repair. You will appreciate the #4 when you fly a bigger heli like the #37. However, they are of different category and set-ups for the #37 is much more complicated but it also gives more satisfaction.

My repaired #37

Name:	Tr51764.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	557418  
Old 11-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Prophet_one

Thanks guys. I think I'll just do a little more research and get a simulator to practice on before I buy.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:28 PM
kiwiwilliamson

Nice work balance it looks great i,ll do the rpm test soon i've got to go to work should i try with different size blades 290mm-325mm i assume it would make a difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.