Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

WALKERA 37

Old 12-31-2006, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WALKERA 37

The Elf hobby motor and ESC are really good.

In my opinion, that outrunner motor is better than the 430L.

And the ESC, has more programmable options than the Align ESC.

im waiting on an order for the Df37 Elf motor, cause I took it, and placed it on

my Trex..

W37

ORIGINAL: jackelmatador

Hi Everyone,

My wife just gave me a 37 for Christmas. It is my first helicopter and it seemed really cool. However, after reading this thread it seems that this bird requires a lot of mods and $$$$$$ to fly right.

Would I be better off returning it (even though there is a 15% restocking fee), and try something else? Any suggestions on what heli would be best for a beginner (yes I know there are tons of opinions, and other forums). It just seems a lot of the beginner helis that are recommended are very limited and I am going to be spending the money upgrading to a completely new one soon enough anyhow.

If you think it would be best to just keep this guy would just the Motor/Esc/Battery upgrade be sufficient for some fun without breaking the piggy bank?
I know the crowd favorite is the Align 430l and 25A ESC but I saw this on another forum and it is much cheaper, and getting decent reviews [link=http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=134_136&products_id=4040]Elf Hobby Motor and ESC[/link]

Your input is greatly appreciated!
-Stephan
Old 12-31-2006, 10:24 AM

Hi Cepeda, thanks! See my other thread at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...page_34/tm.htm

This is how I got it working...

And yeah, I did have to adjust the the pitch and throttle gains. I can't wait to get rid of the walkera tx!
Old 12-31-2006, 12:39 PM

Cepede

able to tell us in what way it's better? Running cooler? Efficiency better?

I remembered some posts back you mentioned you don't see that the elf motor is any better than the 430L.

ORIGINAL: W37 Cepeda

im waiting on an order for the Df37 Elf motor, cause I took it, and placed it on

my Trex..

W37

[
Old 12-31-2006, 12:52 PM

Not that really, I'm using the same electronics on the Trex and the response on it is faster. I have tried different blades and flybar length intermix together and they do affect the response. The balance of the blades with the flybar does makes a difference.

E.g the 315 with the longer flybar speeds up the response. And army's guess with the lesser slop on the alu does plays a part too.

Hi.

They should handle both the same. Leave the weights to the outside, this makes it more stable.

Whats happening to you is the servo exponential function is high. IF you use the Df37 electronics..it will be.

You have to re-program your remote, I think its dip switch #11, and adjust V2. Make sure you have both pots on the center psotion.

Apply power to both heli and Reciever (make sure you have plenty of room to hover), you will notice that the color of the logo on the remote is different.

ON V2 adjust accordingly +/- . Test hover. V1 also does your throttle curve. Once you find you preference, you must carefully switch back #11 to the off

position. Then the logo will change color, then you may shut off the remote. this will memorize your settings.

Good luck.

W37

ORIGINAL: armycopter

W37 Cepeda or anyone with a DF37 and a T-Rex -

Let me ask you something... You're now flying a T-Rex and your DF37. Do you notice any handling differences? I flew my t-rex today for the first time other than hover testing and I noticed it is very touchy. I'm wondering if this is normal and if it's just that I'm not a good pilot (or I need to get used to it). My DF37 was stable, as is the T-Rex, but the T-Rex seems much less forgiving. I have the flybar weights on it all the way to the outside, which seems to add a degree of less responsiveness. Maybe I should move them or take them off? When I say "less responsiveness" I mean that it seems to take a fraction of a second longer to react to a change and then I tend to overcompensate. Again, it's only the first flight, but I am a little concerned in my setup.

The only other info is that it is 22'F outside and kind of gusty (15 knots?) from the West. Plenty of power with my brushless setup. HH works great with my GY006, and T/R responsiveness is super.

Let me know what you think of your T-Rex vs. you 37. Thanks

-Army
Old 01-01-2007, 10:49 AM

Yep you are correct. I did not find the ELF 4200KV motor any better.

But I made a bad mistake. I was using the Align 35A ESC. If memory serves me right,
that esc does not have the proper setting for a OUTRUNNER TYPE motor.

The ESC im using know has it. I set the frequency (timing) and the pulse settings, indicated
in the manual for Outrunner type motors.

Its night and day. The motor is more efficient by around 3minutes and plenty of power to spare. My battery
pack does not get very hot anymore. All this extended my fly time. It even sounds different.

W37 Cepeda

ORIGINAL: balance_mind

Cepede

able to tell us in what way it's better? Running cooler? Efficiency better?

I remembered some posts back you mentioned you don't see that the elf motor is any better than the 430L.

my Trex..

W37

[
Old 01-01-2007, 12:24 PM

W37, you gave me some more info... Do you think the fact that I am using 325mm blades on my Rex would make the response so much faster than the stock (315mm) df37 blades I used to use on the 37? I am trying to figure out why my T-Rex is so much more responsive.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61250.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	588173  
Old 01-01-2007, 09:49 PM

you may be expecting cepede's reply more than mine but I just wanted to share what I discovered.

Having the 325 on the same flybar will not speed up your response, in fact it actually slows it. A 315 on the same flybar is more responsive compared as the effort to move is lesser. Hence, the 325 will give you a more stable heli with that same flybar.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:20 AM

Very nice heli you got there Army... that is looking good... real good....
Old 01-02-2007, 01:26 PM

I must agree with balance_mind.

The shorter the blades, the faster your acceleration is on your rotation speed, cause there is
less surface on the blade that offers resistance.

However.. it does have its short comings... nothing is ever compromised with out other issues.

the 325 vs 315? 325 will give you more lift power cause it has more surface. You need not

run your RPMS as fast.. you will get lift way earlier on the pitch curve and throttle curve than

if you be using 315. if you are looking to perfect hover, super still flight, super long battery life,
go with 325. If you want almost instant manuverablity, sharp response.. use the 315s.

I don't know exactly the responsiveness issue you have. My Df37 is more responsive than my TREX.
But it is set like that on the W007remote.

Maybe your dF37 always has been slow in responsiveness.. mine felt like that in the begining. But i adjusted
that on the stock remote.

If you are using hi speed servos on your Trex, this will contribute dramaticly. If your trex is sensitive to the touch,
bring down the exponential servo function. Almost all remotes have this function.

By what you mentioned before, if you do small moves on your joystick, and it reacts slow, then you over compensate, this is
an indication that your exponential function is outta wacked. this means to me, your Trex is not sensitive enough.

If what you have is , a slight move on your joystick, causes a sudden change, this means your over sensitive. Again, adjust
exponential funtion of your remote.

The flybar weights on the Trex really is there for staibility for moderate flying and hovering. You may remove them, but expect the
heli to react like a humming bird. It is recommended at this stage the use a high resolution remote. (1024) or higher, along
with high torque digital servos to achieve controllability desired mostly for 3d flying.

Advice...leave the setup the way it is. look at the bellcrank position on your servos, they maybe to far out, if it reacts fast
your too far out, if it reacts low, your too "in"... either case. You must adjust your exponential servo settings.

W37

W37, you gave me some more info... Do you think the fact that I am using 325mm blades on my Rex would make the response so much faster than the stock (315mm) df37 blades I used to use on the 37? I am trying to figure out why my T-Rex is so much more responsive.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:01 PM

DANGER Align HZ022 : Landing Skid Stoppers - ALERT

Many of us have these guys installed on our helis. Sure they keep the unit from scratching up the bottom
portion of your skid... but in reality for those who are not experts, they can kill your heli, specially if you fly over concrete or
any other hard floor.

This is what happens:

If you're flying close to the ground...left to right or versa, and if for some reason a gust of wind pushes
your heli down, or you loose power... if you are at an angle, the rubber skid will lock your heli
onto the ground and prevent it from "skidding" and then what happends is that your heli will flip onto that side,
causing the tips of the blades, to hit the ground, and that bounces the heli around, you get boom strike,
damaged holders, bent feathering shaft, main gear tooth shredding, and depending on the side, you can also damage you tail rudder blade holders and blades too, bend flybar, etc...etc...etc

IT COMPLETELY MESSES UP YOUR HELI.

If the same situation would of happen without the rubber stoppers in place, the heli would of just skid
onto that side..and the damage would of just been a scratch on the bottom of the "landing skid" Hello?
hence the name...landing skid.

So newbies, stay away from this evil. if you are worried about hard landings, get the bump free landing skids.

Name:	Yv65995.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	589035  
Old 01-02-2007, 08:09 PM

Thanks Cepeda and everyone else - I picked up the DX6 today and got it working with my heli. I definitely have some adjusting to do, but at least all the parts and pieces are moving in the correct direction when they are suppose to. I suppose there is nothing left on my DF37 as I am completely T-Rex now, but it was a great learning bird. Maybe someday I'll buy the parts I need to put the 37 all back together, who knows. For now I am too engrossed in spending money on the Rex... this is one expensive hobby
Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 AM

Congrats! on the DX6, very nice. Learn everything you can on it.
You will find it very intresting. I have not abandoned my DF37.. as a matter of fact.
Im waiting on the Gyro...which I will get today and three new batteries.

The next upgrade I will do to my Df37 is to change the reciever and install the Ar6000 spektrum RX
so that I may have only one remote on the field.

W37

Thanks Cepeda and everyone else - I picked up the DX6 today and got it working with my heli. I definitely have some adjusting to do, but at least all the parts and pieces are moving in the correct direction when they are suppose to. I suppose there is nothing left on my DF37 as I am completely T-Rex now, but it was a great learning bird. Maybe someday I'll buy the parts I need to put the 37 all back together, who knows. For now I am too engrossed in spending money on the Rex... this is one expensive hobby
Old 01-03-2007, 08:25 AM

Actually, that's not a bad idea... hmmm maybe I'll bring my DF37 back to life too
Old 01-03-2007, 08:33 AM

I have both the rex and 37 on my jr2610, but i crushed the top bearing case on the 37 while doing repairs from last crash arr, going to try a loop soon my curcuits have been going good so its time wish me luck[X(]
Old 01-03-2007, 08:36 AM

Happy New Year to you cepeda. I know you still mad me since me get to bad to you,

but it new year already and we should change to help each other.

I see you change heli already and you get another heli not DF37.

I think your heli is nice just like my TREX 450 HDE. why not you get something

like TREX 450SE. It good heli. I have 2 already now and both are fly okay.

i will get Align 600 next month. It is good looking and very big

You not mad anymore? me not mad at you even if you not love me.

New year coming February. You want moon cake?

If you want moon cake you buy.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:54 AM

Get it on Video!

ORIGINAL: kiwiwilliamson

I have both the rex and 37 on my jr2610, but i crushed the top bearing case on the 37 while doing repairs from last crash arr, going to try a loop soon my curcuits have been going good so its time wish me luck[X(]
Old 01-03-2007, 09:08 AM

Yeah i dont have a vid but ill use my mobile not such a good pic, ill see if i can borrow a vid or a camera with vid, ill get it recorded for sure.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:50 PM

HI Guys. I just want to show my DF37. I got it flying today with the original Walkera Electronics. And I will keep it that way.
I some of us went ahead and got TREX'es, includind me...But I remain a Walkera Df37 lover.. Its just a cool heli. So I'm here
for the long run. My upgraded DF37 TREXKERA!

Enjoy..

Name:	Nl29075.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	589984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21797.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	589985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52025.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	589986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58797.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	589987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq88343.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	589988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc49223.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	589989  
Old 01-04-2007, 06:47 AM

W37 Cepeda your heli look different. what you use for color it like primer color gray. odd
Old 01-04-2007, 07:06 AM

Very nice helicopter

W37 Crecenda
I have a question to you. How do you paint your canopy and which kind of paint do you use? Do you grind it before painting? I think you paint it on the inside, am I correct?

Per.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:11 AM

Yes.
The paint is on the inside. I was playing around with primers.
and I saw some one a park with a simular setup, so I tried it,, and it looks good.

W37 Cepeda

ORIGINAL: Permand

Very nice helicopter

W37 Crecenda
I have a question to you. How do you paint your canopy and which kind of paint do you use? Do you grind it before painting? I think you paint it on the inside, am I correct?

Per.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:27 AM

I think he use primer it grey color like one used on car. dull grey

Very nice helicopter

W37 Crecenda

Per.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:29 PM

my df37 crash today and broke one of the blade........and blade holder is bended pretty bad.......

what happen is i tried flying it outside normal mode w/elf hobby brushless system.....

when i tried to lift off the tail kept spinning ccw so i i fool around with the v2 knob.....just would lift stable just kept spinning either left or right so i gave it 80-90% throttle left shoot up about 2.5ft in the air with the tail spinning ccw so i quickly full the throttle down and heli landed hard on its side......never had a chance to freakin get it up in the air stable.....im very frustrated about this heli so i think im gonna quit on heli.......i aint good enough......
Old 01-05-2007, 07:02 AM

streetforcegp2 that bad. you flip heli even if it already not working okay.. how heli now?

you quit heli that bad too, what you will fly now? there is easy fly you get slow stick plane,

it fly very slow and very easy, like fly kite you will be happy with that.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:08 AM

W37 Cepeda

did you crash your nice heli with this part? how is heli now? i saw video of you new heli nice look if you crash heli that will

be bad for heli. If you want to fix me have matches here you can use it so you no more problem

DANGER Align HZ022 : Landing Skid Stoppers - ALERT

Many of us have these guys installed on our helis. Sure they keep the unit from scratching up the bottom
portion of your skid... but in reality for those who are not experts, they can kill your heli, specially if you fly over concrete or
any other hard floor.

This is what happens:

If you're flying close to the ground...left to right or versa, and if for some reason a gust of wind pushes
your heli down, or you loose power... if you are at an angle, the rubber skid will lock your heli
onto the ground and prevent it from "skidding" and then what happends is that your heli will flip onto that side,
causing the tips of the blades, to hit the ground, and that bounces the heli around, you get boom strike,
damaged holders, bent feathering shaft, main gear tooth shredding, and depending on the side, you can also damage you tail rudder blade holders and blades too, bend flybar, etc...etc...etc

IT COMPLETELY MESSES UP YOUR HELI.

If the same situation would of happen without the rubber stoppers in place, the heli would of just skid
onto that side..and the damage would of just been a scratch on the bottom of the "landing skid" Hello?
hence the name...landing skid.

So newbies, stay away from this evil. if you are worried about hard landings, get the bump free landing skids.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.