Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
 Complete newbe to helis  Walkera Dragonfly #36 >

Complete newbe to helis Walkera Dragonfly #36

Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Complete newbe to helis Walkera Dragonfly #36

Old 06-02-2006, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete newbe to helis Walkera Dragonfly #36

Hi there.

I am a complete newbe to heli's So I thought I would put my toe into the water with a Walkera Dragonfly #36 .

I just got my which I had upgrade to brushless and li-poly cell.

Now it came with lilttle or no instruction.

There are lots of free floating cables. So should I plug the extra cable that came with the cell into D and C? and leave A and B free.

Also when I fire on it up should the blade start to spin. all that happens is the main blade move very slightly then stop.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48503.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	470571  
Old 06-02-2006, 03:38 PM

Default RE: Complete newbe to helis Walkera Dragonfly #36

I hate to say something to discourage you, but the truth is always the truth. As the beginner, I don't even think you should have DF36 to learn to fly on. Pretty soon you will discover yourself quickly you will quit this hobby for several reasons. 1. You will crash quick 2. You will have to learn how to fix this thing. Skip your lunch or dinner to work on fixing it. Which mean you've got to be good at mechanical and electrical skills. 3. You will spend more money than you initial spen on this helicopter to fix it. Go for DF4 or DF5-4 or any fixed pitch to learn how to fly rc helicopter. Spend alot of time at your computer simulation is the best way to learn.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:20 PM

Well you suer got a nice starter heli. I own a DF40, not as advanced as the DF60 but much the same. you need to be carefull where your switches are. sounds to me like your throttle stick is not at the bottom when you power up.
first you need to turn on your transmitter(tx) then set it on the ground but make sure your slide nobs are all off. theres one under each stick on the tx.slid them to the left, then the ones to the left and right of the sticks need to be all the way down and your tx needs to be in normal flight mode,not idle 1.
now... you can connect power to your heli, but remember to have your tx on first and make sure your in normal flight mode.
My DF40 did the same thing and another fine member of this forum corrected me. there is also a very good learn to fly web site, If your interested give me a shout and I'll give you the address.
The last reply to your post was kinda right but like me you have what you have, you can still learn to fly with it.
I built a hover jig to train on and it worked super well. I only needed it for two days befor I was able to hover with-out it. If your handy with small tools I"ll give yoi the plans if you like.
Iwould suguest you buy extra blades,(I"ve owned 4 sets just from leanning it when I practice. also tail booms(at least 2 on hand untill your good.My first crash was a hummer. I had $140.oo dollars damage so I just bought another DF40 and now have lots of spare partd but the DF40 is really cheep and I figured to up-grade to something like a DF60 like yours. any way keep asking questions, the people here are supper cool and help with any problem you can think of.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:22 PM

I know but no one said I was smart :-) Got ma A lic on fixed wing 2 years ago and spent hours and hours in sim's.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:28 PM

Found a link to the start up seq. hovering it now :-)
Old 06-02-2006, 09:38 PM

jnguyen
If you don't want to be discouraging, dont be.

I have a DF36 its my first Heli. I have flown Airplans a lot and have used the SIM. It is difficult but I am happy that I chose the one I did. I figured if I bought the DF4 I would get board quickly and probably give up on the hobby.

Just take you time and enjoy! Yes you may crash it and it may be frustrating, but its also challenging and a lot of fun. I disagree with jnguyen, I think you may learn a lot and really enjoy this fun hobby.

Good luck with your new toy!
Old 06-03-2006, 05:39 AM

Ok I got is to start up for a few mins. Had it hovering for a couple of secs shut it down. Then this morning I tried to fire using the start up sequence I found on the web. And I cant get a thing out of it.

Anyone got any words of wisdom ?
Old 06-03-2006, 09:24 AM

az-pc. I did not mean the word "discouraging" in a bad way. DF35 was my fist heli. I spent more time fixing this thing than flying it. Most people quit the hobby because of the crashes. I bought DF4 and learned to hover with this thing, tail-in, nose-in, sides hovering. I crashed and crashed the DF4. It did not take long to fix it and backup in the air again. I invested 200 bucks for Reflex-Xtr simulator and I can tell you this software worth every penny. I figured I would crash a dozen time without the simulator before I coud forwarf fly. I too have fixed wing private pilot with IFR and commercial ratings. Handle the aircraft with remote control is no comparison to the pilot sitting inside the cockpit. RC hobby should be fun. RC helicopter is hard word and dedication.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:28 AM

Malar67. What do you mean by you couldn't get a thing out of it? Can you elaborate more? What happened after you turned on the remote control and plugged in battery? Did you see the red light blinking on the gyro and turned to solid red with a beep? What happened when you moved up the throttle?
Old 06-03-2006, 11:25 AM

malar67.. cannot get your last question... did your heli electronics just died? kinda weird.. did you smoked you motor, ESC? RX... not or you forgot to drop the throttle to 0 for the motor to start....
Old 06-03-2006, 06:05 PM

Ok Followed the Start Up Tips I found here http://www.4-rc-helicopter.com/index...=57&artlang=en on friday night. Got the main rota and tail rota going (yay me things)

Sat morning was going to give it all another go in the light of day.

followed the above start up Tips too the letter. Nothing well nothing from the main rota. Elevator, Rudder, aileron stick all seem to do stuff. But the throttle seems to do zip.

Gyro light is solid when throttle at its lowest setting, then flash as I move the stick up. And keeps flashing ?
Old 06-04-2006, 03:16 AM

not really sure whats causing the worng start-up and the servos seem to be moving so there might be power on it.. but the main motor does not start up.. might be a dead ESC .. or the BEC is fried causing servo glitches.. another might be the one of the NS-05 servos is dead causing glitching to the others...
Old 06-04-2006, 02:08 PM

ok plugged the speed controler into another RX on the throttle chan. set the throttle to 0 on my FF9. powered up the speed contoler, waited 30 secs the incressed the throttle on my FF9. Nothing. Put the throttle to 100 on the ff9. put the power back into the speed contoler waited 30 sec's nothing (just incase throttle needed to be inverted.

So I guess from this test sonething is dead in the speed controller ?

Old 06-04-2006, 04:30 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Just put brushless in my 36-extra cable goes to D and C,A and B left hanging or tied up.ESC goes into channel 3 on RX.Move throttle stick and trim all the way down-turn on TX then plug in heli battery-you should hear a tone or beeps indicating ESC is active.Most ESC's are programmable for brake,cell type and voltage cutoff-I'm using Towerpro ESC so don't know sequence for Walkera ESC.Throttle stick is used to select programming-you may have set something wrong-try to find Walkera ESC instructions.