Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Dagronfly 22e, for begginer

Old 08-30-2006, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dagronfly 22e, for begginer

i am getting the dragonfly 22e as my first ever helicopter, i want to know if this is an extremly bad choice.
I only have the budget for one heli for (i'm hoping) 2 - 4 years. It has the capabilities to be a good helicopter when I get skilled at flying.
Is their anyone that started with this bird or is well experienced and has this heli cause I would like to just chat about things with them
THANX
Old 08-30-2006, 01:56 AM

Default RE: Dagronfly 22e, for begginer

Try talking here...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...page_87/tm.htm
Old 08-30-2006, 08:43 AM

If you are new and want to learn how to fly, the ESky Lama 2 may be the better choice for you - [link=http://www.linknety.com/modevideos/demo/zoom.php?id=14]check video here[/link]
Old 08-30-2006, 11:46 AM

actually, I'd pick the walkera #4, it's more advanced than the lama2 and'll therefore keep you going on the same heli longer! the lama2 is a GREAT trainer, but the fact is, it's so blamed easy! My dad was doing circuts (with a "few" mishaps, but, he didn't try to learn the right way anywho) in a week!

I personally started with the 36, a more STABLE helicopter and could only do basic hovering a few months and hundred dollars later! It'll just be the same thing for you as well...

HOWEVER, yet another option is to get a sim, though personally not as fun as flying the real thing in my opinion, it's an incredible training device, as, think of learing to fly without paying for parts or spending time on repairs! The only problem is that you have quite limited depth perception on a computer screen... G3's 200 dollars, RTF while the 22e'll run you 130 MRTF (mostly ready to fly)

PS: a #4 costs $80, and parts (which aren't required often as they have an AMAZING resiliancy to crashes) are cheap as anything.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: jasondf
i am getting the dragonfly 22e as my first ever helicopter, i want to know if this is an extremly bad choice.
I only have the budget for one heli for (i'm hoping) 2 - 4 years. It has the capabilities to be a good helicopter when I get skilled at flying.
Is their anyone that started with this bird or is well experienced and has this heli cause I would like to just chat about things with them
THANX
W#22E is not the best first helicopter especially you use it to learn to fly, the learning curve is a little steeper. I have a retired friend learning to fly with the W#22E (he bought 3 to start with), after 4 set of blades, 2 head assembly and boom/tail and in about a month, he can point his W#22E wherever he wants to, he even can do 540 degree stall turns now. He always said he has more time than money and he flys 10 packs a day.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:34 AM

thanks, sounds like dragonfly #4 sounds easy to learn on and lets face it, i won't be doing 3d flying and if i'm good enough to be able i'm sure ill get a new heli
i would like a sim to practice on but i really don't have the budget, may i point out i'm turning 15 and this is what my present will be
Old 08-31-2006, 03:58 AM

As a rc newbie, you should fly coaxial contral rotator heli. 22e is kinda difficult for the beginners. Lama is no good. Got bad controller recently. Dragonfly 4#...well, you can really easy to get hold of its parts but it is even more easier to crash it!!! Guess that's why the parts for 4# are so easy to get...lol..Seriously, you could find some really good heli for beginners like 05-4# and 53#. The two are just great. If you really don't like coaxial contral rotator heli, then Esky E004 would be your pick!
Old 08-31-2006, 05:48 AM

i know that 53# is really easy but i don't like coaxial contral rotator designs
if the esky honey E004 is available were i'll get then i might get it but otherwise i'll still get 22e
Old 08-31-2006, 04:36 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I am learning to fly the 22e, it is the first heli I have even had my hands on. I'm doing it without any outside help (other than this forum) and honestly I think if you get it trimmed right (read the thread that kevinator9 linked for details/advice) and don't get too aggressive you can easily be successful learning to fly the 22e. I have flown r/c planes for many years (self-taught on those also) and I'm still trying to decide if that was an advantage or disadvantage when getting on the heli sticks. I'm still learning the heli and can't wait until I'm proficient in forward flight but for now I'm happy just getting it in the air and "wandering" in a general direction.... Good luck with which ever bird you decide to go with......
Old 09-01-2006, 01:21 AM

cool, i've sort of made up my mind, if the honeybee E004 is available and cheap enough i will get it, but if it isn't I'll get the 22e because I can learn on it even though it won't be easy
Old 09-01-2006, 02:47 AM

honeybee e004 is $99.50 and 22e $115...all on http://www.hooobby.com/electric-rc-h...beginners.html
Old 09-01-2006, 09:06 AM

I am learning to fly the 22e, it is the first heli I have even had my hands on. I'm doing it without any outside help (other than this forum) and honestly I think if you get it trimmed right (read the thread that kevinator9 linked for details/advice) and don't get too aggressive you can easily be successful learning to fly the 22e. I have flown r/c planes for many years (self-taught on those also) and I'm still trying to decide if that was an advantage or disadvantage when getting on the heli sticks. I'm still learning the heli and can't wait until I'm proficient in forward flight but for now I'm happy just getting it in the air and "wandering" in a general direction.... Good luck with which ever bird you decide to go with......
Me too! But i've had a few months practise with FMS & a typical computer joystick. The secret is in the trimming & backing off on the pitch a bit. Before trimming it thought it was impossible but now it doesn't seem too hard after all. On my first day having the helicopter almost got it in stable hover for about 8 seconds hover within the 3rd recharge. Well until a pot plant was a bit too close & blade strike resulted. Now I know I need to go out to a much bigger area (:
Old 09-02-2006, 11:37 PM

Hey everyone i think this forum is really helpful, i jus ordered my 22e and ive been practicing alot on a raptor on a pc sim. If i get it fine on that and can do trics and hover does that mean i can do it in real life too or is it alot diff
Old 09-03-2006, 04:49 AM

ORIGINAL: NeWDragonFlyer

Hey everyone i think this forum is really helpful, i jus ordered my 22e and ive been practicing alot on a raptor on a pc sim. If i get it fine on that and can do trics and hover does that mean i can do it in real life too or is it alot diff
Its alot different from the sim in real life when you factor in the need to trim the aircraft & environmental factors like wind. But the sim does teach you the basics, like what to expect from the dfferent controls. On the real thing, theres quite a large learning curve at first. I highly recommend Radd's Flight school

[link=http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html]Flight School[/link]

When you do get it, refer to the Venon night ranger 3d manual, its the same as the 22e just rebadged. The manual that comes with Walkera is very crap. [link=http://www.modelflight.com.au/manuals/pdf/venom/venom_night_ranger_3d_manual.pdf]Manual[/link]

Do plenty of research in how you should trim your machine, making sure you don't set it to too, agressive flight characteriscs. (Pay attention to the two knobs on transmitter which controls how much pitch is mixed with throttle, too much & it shoots up like a rocket & a little below normal its fairly relaxed. But first learn what the knobs do should be in the venom manual.).

Don't get too excited at first wanting to try it straight away. Do your research first or else ya gunna crash it.