Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Walkera 1#A... it hurts being number 1

Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera 1#A... it hurts being number 1

Old 10-07-2007, 07:14 AM
AirborneRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walkera 1#A... it hurts being number 1

The Walkera 1#A has been out for a few months now. I've got mine and I can say, with 3 years experience with Walkera helis, that this is a standout and easily their best yet. It's a big claim I know and it could be a little premature.

I've had mine for almost a week now and have flown it for a couple of hours every day... windy or not, indoors & out. I'm an intermediate pilot (just getting used to nose-in and can usually recover from anything... am intending to go 3D later this year) and the 1#A seems to have everything I've been searching for. I've got many Walkera Helis (4#1, 4#3, 5#6, 22E, 36#B, 37) and regularly fly 60#B, 64#C, 68#B etc.

Of the one's I own the 22E was a favourite for ease of repair and general flight capabilities. But since my last big crash I've not got it back to it's former glory. And no matter how good I repair it, it will always have poor rudder authority. So the next option could be an old 22A (or D?). For a while the 60 looked like staying king. It's very respectable but it's big. And there's no escape from the weight. You can get some serious brushless power in their and you have a very good 3D heli.. just maybe not spectacular.

The 60Bs I've flown with many configurations. With all of the Walkera brushless motors and a range of Walkera and non-Walkera ESCs. With 20C LiPo batteries. And even so, the 60 starts feeling scarey about the same time it get's really 3D capable. The Dragonfly 1#A hits a sweet spot for power and agility I've never flown before.

When the 1#A leaps in the air, it's because you told it to, and it's effortless. So quiet. Nothing is straining too hard. It just does what you tell it. And that connection continues to stay tight irrespective of the type of flight you're performing.

If you own a 22E and want something better. Don't upgrade it. Grab a Dragonfly 1#A.
If you're a beginner looking for the next step up. Grab a Dragonfly 1#B. And down the track convert it to a 1#A or upgrade to a 1#A completely.

CNC head configuration is available too for both 1#A and 1#B. The Walkera G-016 compact AVCS is steady as a rock with zero drift or wag with the supplied 7.6HS tail servo.

Pics and vids coming soon.
Who's got one? Am I the only 1#A owner in the world [8D]
Old 10-07-2007, 08:17 AM
USHobbySupply

Default RE: Walkera 1#A... it hurts being number 1

Please post pics. With all the different models ( i wish they would change their naming schema, but its probably to late now), its hard to keep them straight.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:39 PM
mksubaru

i´ve been reading about this new walkera a few days, have seen it in the web, but not in ebay yet, i was wondering, how much does it costs?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:19 AM
AirborneRC

There are several variations available. They vary from AU$175 for the 1#B to AU$299 for the brushless 1#A with CNC head.

All of them are available for immediate dispatch from Airborne RC:
Walkera Dragonfly 1#A LiPo + Brushless 7CH RC Helicopter AU$255
Walkera Dragonfly 1#A Metal Head + LiPo + Brushless 7CH RC Heli AU$299
Walkera Dragonfly 1#B LiPo 6CH RC Helicopter AU$175

All are full sets including radio gear, battery, charger, heli etc.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:49 PM
JRexA

Which size LiPo are you using, and what flight times do you get?

I have one on the way, and I am considering more batteries. Should I stick with 1300mah, or upgrade to 1600 or 1800mah 2S packs?
I am looking at the Loong Max 1600 mah 20C and 1800 mah 20C packs from http://www.unitedhobbies.com
Old 10-16-2007, 04:38 PM
AirborneRC

I'm using 1300mAh 15C (7.4V) packs. The heli feels light and responsive with these packs.

It's tempting to chuck in a bigger pack and hope for longer flight times. I tried that with my Dragonfly 36B and it's a good way to turn an agile heli into a school bus. Too much weight. The bigger packs won't give much longer flights because of the reduced efficiency (extra load etc) and everything will have to work harder to keep it in the air. Stick with something light around 1200mAh and you'll keep the agility. If flying time is a problem just grab a few more packs.

I'll time my flights and get back to you. I rekon they're about 12mins.

[EDIT: Added flight test info]

Just had a fly using my 1300mAh 15C 7.4V LiPo and it was airborne for just under 11mins (10:50). It was windy so there were lots of quick throttle changes. About half the time was hovering at shoulder height (stayed out of ground effect... didn't want the wind to slam it (flew in my yard and the air churns behind our house)). Aside from the LiPo all else is completely stock.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:52 AM
Rody

yes im also researching this heli, it looks good on paper similar to the esky belt heli. Very good information airborne thanks.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:32 AM
Feric Jagger

How does it compare to the 64#C?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:57 PM
AirborneRC

I've added a bunch of new photos to our site. There's also details of what I've done to shift the center of gravity (balance point) forward.
Walkera 1#A tail heavy fix
Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 AM
swashplate

That "walkera_1a_cg_front.jpg" from your site is now my desktop pic. WANT! [X(] WANT!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:34 PM
swashplate

Common now who else has this bird in hand? Im personaly dying to know more specificly in the reliability department. This is the Walkera board iznit?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Rattlecat

I think the 1#A is more comparable to a Blade CP/CP Pro, Honey Bee CP2 or Century 3D Pro. BUT with that reliable belt drive tail.
The Belt CP is a completely different class.

CH
Old 11-14-2007, 10:57 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: swashplate
Common now who else has this bird in hand?
I got one the other day as a step up from my 4#-1 because I was sick and tired of burning out the tail motors (the 1225 motor seems ok so far though) and wanted a belt drive. Now it has to be remembered that I'm a rank beginner at this and have just reached the stage of doing a fairly reasonable (mostly ) hover with the 4#-1 so you more experienced guys mightn't have the one or two problems I've come across. The first thing I did with it was to move the CG forward as described in an earlier post.

I'll skip over the fact that reading the instruction manual I have no idea what PIT is or some of the other techo stuff but one thing I noticed looking over everything was that the linkages from the flybar were completely different lengths and the allen key needed as part of the adjustment was too small to do the job properly. I ended up using a jeweller's screwdriver in the allen screw.

This same linkage (where it connects to the rotor head) gave a slight problem after what seemed to me to be a fairly minor oops in that the ball joint which screws into the (plastic) linkage with a microscopically small thread simply ripped out. I moved both ball joints to the outer holes which suits me anyway because it should tame it down a little. The same oops caused another problem somehow in that it partly stripped some teeth off the rotor drive gear so it's now out of action until I can get a new gear.

This isn't to say there's anything really wrong with it because I know it's not exactly a beginner's model. The first time I had it trimmed well enough to try for a hover it scared the heck out of me because it so effortlessly and quietly took off like the space shuttle . When I finally got it up smoothly and into a hover it was just delightful but compared to flying the 4#-1 the rotor seemed as though it was 6 foot wide . Backing off the throttle just a touch makes it drop like a brick but I suspect that's a combination of less power and losing collective pitch. I'll have to study the manual a bit more to try to figure that out.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:51 PM

Try BananaHobbies for a cost of $225.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Tucson-120%

Looks like a winner when can we see some parts support and some US distributors. Does it have a oneway
Old 11-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Tucson-120%

Bananahobby.com answers my question but no spare parts.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:56 PM
goldcoastflier

move throttle trim forward, less severe throttle reduction in a panic!
Old 11-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Tucson-120%

I got mine today in the mail today, I spent 2 hours making adjustments to the linkages, centering and balancing, the result one very nice flying helicpter. I've got to say I in the past I have not had good experiences with Walkera but this helicopter is in a class of its own, this is the best helicopter Walkera has made yet hands down . It flys great and feals as stable as my king v2 if not more. I 'm very glad I took the chance on this one, but don't expect to open the box charge and fly, you have to have some experience setting up heli's to make things work, it's more like an arf with electrics.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Tucson-120%

This helicopter flys so good I'm really enjoying it, by the way allerc.com has etech 1250 10c packs on sale for 19.99$ they weigh only 60 grams!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:41 PM
Tucson-120%

Anyone know who stocks parts in the U.S. for the a#1
Old 03-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Tucson-120%

Anyone else flying this great little helicopter.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 AM
downunder

I'm still flying mine but have now progressed to outdoors, my front yard anyway . Surprisingly (to me) reasonably light winds are no problem even with many trees and bushes shifting the breeze all over the place. So far I can still only fly tail towards me but haven't got any problems moving around the yard. I played with all the settings to tame it down to where I was comfortable and reliability has been excellent. Probably the weakest point has been the main gear shedding teeth if the blades catch something hard (like the ground ) which I think is caused by the brushless motor having so much inertia it can't slow down fast enough. But I guess if the teeth didn't strip then something more expensive might let go. I changed those silly little connectors on the battery leads to Deans plugs because the originals got so hot one started to melt the plastic and also upgraded to the CNC head. I love it...
Old 03-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Tucson-120%

After you figure out how to program the radio you can really fine tune it, I like the way it works it's so simple, when you get a little more practice in you'll like the way it flips and rolls too, just tune up the throtle curve bit. I fabricated a oneway bearing to help stop the teeth from striping. I have well over 120 flights on mine and no problems
Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 PM
downunder

ORIGINAL: Tucson-120%
I fabricated a oneway bearing to help stop the teeth from striping.
Photos please?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Tucson-120%

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]Here they are, the HDX 300 tail upgrade is a direct fit as well as the main gear you have to drill out the pully gear that goes on the main shaft to make it fit I will have to take another picture for that, the swash is micro heli I drilled out the ball, for this project I bought another frame to tinker with. You can also drill out the bottom of the main gear and and press in a oneway bearing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35344.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	909426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36322.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	909427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68757.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	909428  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.