Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Walkera #60b - Tail Rotor Problem??? Not sure whats happening!!

Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera #60b - Tail Rotor Problem??? Not sure whats happening!!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:59 AM
Virgin_Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walkera #60b - Tail Rotor Problem??? Not sure whats happening!!

Hi
I'm relatively new to the RC Electric Helo scene..
I have a Walkera #60b that has developed a problem with what I'm guessing is the tail rotor/gyro.

As soon as I lift off and hover, the whole body starts to spin to the right (counter-clockwise looking above). I believe the gyro (head-lock) is trying to compensate, but it is unable to control the body.

The seemed to start after a couple of medium landings with training gear.

I have checked the tail rotor, servo, gyro and also spun it up without the main blades to check the direction and functioning of the gyro. When it has spun up, the gyro does adjust the tail to correct the movement and the servo seems to have full span. Stuff I have read also indicates that with netural stick input that the tail rotor should be set in the centre.. To me, this does not seem correct, unless the gyro compensates for all the torque from the main rotor.

I have attempted to increase the head speed (as the tail rotor is belt driven from the main rotor) to try and give the tail rotor some more thrust, but this does not seem to help.

Other background info:

RC Gear: JR radio / receiver set.
ESC: Castlecreation Phoneix 45

I also believe that the gyro is the standard that comes with the Walkera #60 and does not have an extra RC input to adjust gain via the transmitter.

Hopefully someone can help as I'm not sure what is causing this problem. And that the problem is a simple one that I just cant see.

Thanks

VB
Old 02-12-2008, 06:15 PM
guru101

Default RE: Walkera #60b - Tail Rotor Problem??? Not sure whats happening!!

The first things i would look for is any loose locking screws around the tail drive gears and to make sure they are not slipping on there shafts in any way, i would also be checking the one way bearing on the main drive gears, also check that the drive belt is not to loose and jumping teeth/slipping, i dont have a 60B but most tail drive problems are of similar origin, and the above is a good place to start looking. If you increase head speed it will increase tail speed also, but it will also increase the amount of tail rotor force required to compensate for torque generated by main blade pitch. You could try more head speed with less +ve pitch, this would require less tail compensation.

Hope this help you out.

Cheers guru
Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Virgin_Blue

Hi
Thanks for the reply...
I looked at your suggestion and I could not see anything causing a problem.
I did replace the full head assembly and noticed that some of the parts were hard to move and could have been damaged by the crash.
After checking the new head, it appears the problem has gone away..

I'm thinking that since the parts on the head were hard to move, that this caused a larger torque to be applied to the body which the tail rotor could not compensate for.

Comments?
Old 02-17-2008, 11:42 AM
babyhuey

If the heli spins to the right you are getting either too much tail authority or something like a main bearing is dragging trying to pull the body around with the main rotor.
Sounds like that was the case as it was fixed when you repaired the rotor head.
If it spins to the left check the tail belt drives first as it very common for them to slip on their shafts and is easily repaired with ca.