Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

New Walkera 4G3 Metal Upgrade Review

Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

New Walkera 4G3 Metal Upgrade Review

Old 12-30-2008, 09:09 PM
ehirobo ehirobo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Walkera 4G3 Metal Upgrade Review

Wakera have finally release the aluminum alloy rotor head for the new 3D 4G3. The head was made with aluminum alloy anodized in Walkera 4 series trademark red. Complete rotor head was metalized including the blade holders, mixing arm, rotor housing, linkage and swashplate. This design takes away a lot of the slop and flex compare to the stock plastic rotor. And the complete helicopter is only 1 gram heavier that the normal 4G3 which should have minimum effect on flight time and performance. (59.2 gram for 4G3 with metal rotor vs. 58.1 gram for original 4G3, both with canopy but without battery)

Installation:
The installation is really straight forward. Simply remove the 1mm pin which hold the rotor in place. Remove the ball links from the swashplate to the servos and the pull the complete rotor assembly off the helicopter. And install the aluminum rotor head in reverse order. All parts fit nicely as it is a direct replacement. Just be careful with the tiny pins and screws as it is very hard to find them if you accidentally drop them on the floor. Another nice feature for the new head is the main blade was held in place by 2mm screws with lock nuts. Which eliminate the chance of the main blade coming lost during flight.

Test Flight:
After the installation we can’t wait to try this new bird out. We did a short test flight in our office. As the space is limited we can not do any tricks or inverted flights here. But we are able to hover and move around. Upon lift off the first thing I notice is this aluminum rotor reacts a lot faster to direction changes. And helicopter react very well with even the slightest stick input. This is cause by the less slop and flex in the rotor head. For beginner you may find the helicopter too responsive to fly and need some time to get use to. But once you get a hang of it, it is a very sweet heli to fly especially when it starts raining outside. With only 1 gram weight increase I manage to get 8.5 min flight time from one of my old battery pack which I had around 50 flights in. The battery still has some punch left after the flight but do not want to over discharge it.

Conclusion:
As with the aluminum rotor head upgrade for the 4#3B. This is one of the MUST HAVE items for the 4G3. It flies a lot better. Not that the original 4G3 is not good. It is just this rotor is much better. Have not crash it yet but with all these aluminum parts I assume it will be a lot more crash resistance. Broke few rotor housing and plastic linkage on my original plastic rotor already. For beginner may find it a little hard to fly during the beginning. But once you master this rotor it will be loads of fun to fly with.

PRO:
Superb quality
Nice alloy parts anodized in red
Only 1 gram weight increase
CON:
Maybe little too sensitive for beginner, need time to get use to

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96146.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1099895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11702.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1099896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85793.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1099897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12114.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	1099898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15498.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1099899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hx32728.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1099900  
Old 01-01-2009, 09:08 PM
bad400

Default RE: New Walkera 4G3 Metal Upgrade Review

question. this heli looks alot like the 52 micro.do you think the metal parts would fit
Old 01-03-2009, 09:26 PM
bad400

another question and thank you for your interest in my 52.sense these heli`s have the same or i believe the same radio can you give me some tipps on setting up the radio.i have a wakera 60 metal as well but havent need to change any of the radio setting`s.i for the life of me can not figure out with out the veiwing screen like whats on my d6xi. how do change the throttle and pitch curves and know with out crashing my heli that their right or wrong.i would be very thankful for any real answers
Old 01-06-2009, 09:38 AM
ehirobo ehirobo

We will get our first shipment for the 4G3 aluminum heli late this week or early next week with the new 2801 8 chanel radio. Please your preorder now as this is the only shippment will arrive before Chinese New Year. The new 2801 will work on all walkera 2.4G helicopters and it is a computer radio. Will try to write a quick review on it as soon as possible. This radio will also be avaliable with the creata 400.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:41 PM
swedegustav

There is also a pre-order for the 4g3 metal version + the Walkera 2801 programable transmitter from wowhobbies.com and it's shipped to you next week from California. I just pre-ordered mine along with some BL parts but have not yet figured out how to pay for it yet. hehehe Time to get a new one, I crash my old one so bad that I haven't had time to fix it yet. I know ..... I can just use it for parts ...... for now.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:51 AM
ehirobo ehirobo

The new 4G3 aluminum rotor with 2801 transmitter is in stock now. Order now will be in US in 3 days.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:41 PM
maxmicrox

why would anyone want to ship a heli from China to the USA is beyond me when you can get it locally for basically the same price and get immediate service? Lets see there is rotorfever.com, wowhobbies.com, helidirect.com and ten other stores. Although I do agree that the new 4g3 metal version with the Walkera 2801 Tx is a super deal and it's time to take the plunge.... again
Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Steve Joblin

ORIGINAL: maxmicrox

why would anyone want to ship a heli from China to the USA is beyond me when you can get it locally for basically the same price and get immediate service? Lets see there is rotorfever.com, wowhobbies.com, helidirect.com and ten other stores. Although I do agree that the new 4g3 metal version with the Walkera 2801 Tx is a super deal and it's time to take the plunge.... again
Why? Cause you can't buy it at rotorfever.com, wowhobbies.com, helidirect.com and ten other stores! Not yet at least... ehirobo is one of the first to be offering it... If I had the money, I would be jumping at it rather than waiting for dealer shipments to arrive here in the States! I am a big fan of supporting local business, and ordering from US based businesses, but I would buy this from ehirobo because he is a reputable and solid business, and he has it in stock!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 PM
HansV

I ordered the combo from ehibro yesterday. Can't wait to get it

I took one of my stock 4g3's out for a spin. It flies really great and is very responsive. Can't wait to see how the metal upgraded version responds to the controls

ehirobo, I can not find the metal upgrade on the web page. Is it only sold with a complete heli?

/Hans.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:20 AM
ehirobo ehirobo

Just got confirmation we should have the rotor head kit early next week. And the 4G3 Aluminum rotor helicopter with the "normal" 2601 transmitter will arrive our office this Saturday.

Happy flying!!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 AM
ehirobo ehirobo

Dear all:

Everything is instock now, metal rotor for 4G3, brushless kit, 4#3v2, 4g3 with 2801 or 2601 transmitter, with or without aluminum box..... There are so much of them hope I don't miss any of them.

Happy Flying!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Steve Joblin

ehirobo - what does the 4G3 metal head look like? Is it like version 1 of the Airy head? Is it like version 2 of the Airy head? Is the swashplate a combination of metal and plastic? Does it have metal linkages or plastic linkages? One photo shows plastic links, the next one shows metal links. There have been so many different photos flying around, I (and I am sure many others) are totally confused as to what it looks like! Can you take and post actual pictures of what exactly you are selling?
Old 01-13-2009, 05:16 AM
ehirobo ehirobo

The first proto type we got have metal linkage (the one that go through the flybar). But for the production mode it comes in plastic. The walkera swash the top part is made of plastic, copy cat swash the whole thing is made of aluminum. Hope this answer your questions.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:25 PM
HansV

I received the 4G3 metal combo with the 2801 from ehirobo this week. I have to say that I am very pleased with the TX and the 4G3 flew right out of the box I saw that the battery was mounted on the heli so I guess that they actually test flew it. The weather is really nice and calm so I will take it out for a spin later today, but did a couple of circles in my living room and it looks good. I noticed that the new metal version is just as responsive as my plastic version so not a big difference. I guess that I have been very lucky with all my 4g3's.

One question for the 2601 compatibility mode: What does the SEN1, SEN2, EXP1 and EXP2 do? I have not seen any explanation and I have not noticed any effect using the servo monitor on the TX. I am thinking about ugrading the 2605 RX on the old to 2605As, so that I can use the 2801 mode and all the graphic adjustments that do not work in the 2601 compatibility mode. Has anyone seen where you can get them?

Btw, the 2801 works great with the 4#3B's as well. Cool

/Hans.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Steve Joblin

HansV - a few of us on other forums aren't clear on what receiver comes with the new 4G3 metal head and 2801 TX package... The details list that it comes with the RX-2605 receiver... But the new RX-2605A receiver is now out, so which did yours actually come with? The 2605 or the 2605A?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 PM
ehirobo ehirobo

It should come with the 2605A receiver. But the new 2801 transmitter will work on both the old 2605 and new 2605A receiver.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM
HansV

The one I got as a combo from the ehirobo was with the 2605A receiver and with the 4#3B servos. It will work with the 2605 RX but to be honest it doesn't work that well. It seems that the 2601 TC compatibility has the same settings as the 2601 TX but now digital and does not support different settings for different fligth modes such as stunt1 and 2. I will be ugrading my receivers as soon as they come available, but I am a little dissarpointed that the 2605 RX will not bind in 2801 mode. Very cool TX however. I really like it

/Hans.